• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinBB7

Am I overlooking something or can you only buy a game once on GMG? I want to buy a gift but I already have the game myself. And I don't see a buy option..

Last Light should not be 12.50 if you owned the season pass. If Ubi or EA tried to charge 12.50 for what amounts to new animations and a new difficulty mode, there'd be riots.

They even admit the offer is not as compelling for people with the DLC, and said they understand people voting with their wallet.

Also I would point out it's not just animations/difficulty modes, the engine has been improved and they've added tessellation along with global illumination. So while it might not be enough to justify the $12.50 price for some people it's not just a couple quick tweaks.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So busy planning for a wedding I only have time for, like, a scenario or two in Revengeance at a time. Anybody have any nice quick burst puzzle or such recommendations?

Some of my "go to" games right now for quick sessions are

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I don't think it should be controversial to say you shouldn't have to pay for bug fixes.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
2033 wasn't very well-optimized at release, but I played around with the settings for a while and was able to find a mix of good visuals with consistent performance (I think I had a 460 1gb/i5 when it came out, but I could be wrong). Last Light on the other hand ran fantastically at near max settings on my upper mid-end rig.

I am fine with the upgrade price they are charging. I paid 15$ and got both.

Corpekata

Banned
They even admit the offer is not as compelling for people with the DLC, and said they understand people voting with their wallet.

Also I would point out it's not just animations/difficulty modes, the engine has been improved and they've added tessellation along with global illumination. So while it might not be enough to justify the $12.50 price for some people it's not just a couple quick tweaks.

I appreciate them being up front but that doesn't make it less shitty of a business practice. Okay, maybe slightly less shitty. But still shitty. I mean Square Enix was more generous with their Deus Ex discounts and that had some actual changes to the game.

Jawmuncher

No challenges for any of the new characters in SFU4 is pretty weak. Was it just too much work or something to tell me some combos to do .

No challenges for any of the new characters in SFU4 is pretty weak. Was it just too much work or something to tell me some combos to do .
Yeah, I was hoping the trials would be ready in time for the physical and PC release, guess not.

At this stage, since the game has edition select they should throw in the Vanilla, Super, and Ultra trials.

Volimar

Wow. People defending Metro 2033's poor performance problems. It's kind of infamous for them. This isn't a case of "lol get better specs" it's a case of the devs making a game that was poorly optimized.

Grats if you never had problems with it, but you shouldn't dismiss other peoples' issues just because you didn't have any.

2033 wasn't very well-optimized at release, but I played around with the settings for a while and was able to find a mix of good visuals with consistent performance (I think I had a 460 1gb/i5 when it came out, but I could be wrong).

I am fine with the upgrade price they are charging. I paid 15$ and got both.

Basically my opinion as well. But people shouldn't sweep the optimization problems under the rug.

Great atmosphere though.

Nabs

I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom barely has a Fighting Game team. Also, challenges usually come with pretty shitty combos anyway. It's better to check youtube for combos.

Jawmuncher

I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom barely has a Fighting Game team. Also, challenges usually come with pretty shitty combos anyway. It's better to check youtube for combos.

Hmm that is true.

Something else to note is that Capcom still couldn't be arsed to add cutscenes for the AE or Ultra character's rival battles in arcade mode. :/

Yeah was playing poison and got to my rival rolento. Was wondering if i had missed something since it just went straight to the fight.

derExperte

??? I can put Metro 2033 on the lowest settings/resolution, and it'll still have frequent pauses during regular gameplay, worse during action-oriented sequences. (Core i5 OC'd/GTX 670) And it overheated my PC at least once, shortly after booting up. Never happened with any other game that I can recall. I'm not the only one, google both games and you'll see these issues aren't so isolated. Must we always be so quick to blame the consumer?

2033 has issues but LL runs fine for the vast majority, haven't heard of any widespread complaints. And seeing that 2033 seems to be almost a complete remake I think it's reasonable to ask for a few bucks. A lot of people got it in bundles or very cheap over the years anyway.

Also if your PC overheats something is wrong with its cooling as that should never happen, no matter what you throw at it. Maybe the CPU/GPU clock rates get throttled more often than you think and in other games too.

derExperte

GPU overheat.

Then the airflow in the case isn't good enough or the GPU cooler is undersized. Overheating is never the software's fault, a solidly built PC has to be able to deal with everything. Exceptions are notebooks or people living in the desert. ;)

rtcn63

Then the airflow in the case isn't good enough or the GPU cooler is undersized. Overheating is never the software's fault, a solidly built PC has to be able to deal with everything. Exceptions are notebooks or people living in the desert. ;)

Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce. The game suddenly ran hot. Hotter than any other game I've ever played on this rig, then. I'm tired. I'll just assume blame for everything in my life.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's worked out well. Enco "only" has ~160 games himself and since he lives in the UK, he's ~8 hours behind me, so I've set up Idle Master to do its thing whilst there's no danger of overlap.

Deadbeat

Banned
Wow. People defending Metro 2033's poor performance problems. It's kind of infamous for them. This isn't a case of "lol get better specs" it's a case of the devs making a game that was poorly optimized.
You dont know what you are talking about. Gonna quote someone else:
Hate to hark on this again, but metro 2033 on PC ran quite well for what it was graphically doing (minus one option, the advanced depth of field).
So many of the lights were volumetric, so many of the lights cast shadows, the shadow resolution was huge, full screen effects were done at native resolution... etc...

While metro last light added lots of great graphical features (the bokeh, the tesselation on nearly everything (which will be improved in redux), the new particle lighting) and of course tightened up the code to make effects run better, it also removed and toned down some of the sample counts.

Shadows are not as high res, there are less volumetric lights, the volumetric lights do not appear to run at native res, etc...
Smoke was also downgraded a ton from 2033 to last light.

Jawmuncher

Played a bit of Rise of Incarnates.
Think i'll just stick with Anarchy Regins. The system in RoI is just really weird and feels off to me. The combat is far too floaty for my tastes.

derExperte

Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce. The game suddenly ran hot. Hotter than any other game I've ever played on this rig, then. I'm tired. I'll just assume blame for everything in my life.

Just trying to help. If you had issues there maybe other games aren't always running as good as they could too. Fact is that while Metro has high demands it should run reasonably well on solid PC.

Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty.

Googled it and sure, some bugs/oversights can cause unnecessary heat, meaning a loud PC as a result. But I wouldn't trust one that totally breaks down, no matter what.

That's not true at all, software can cause overheating, remember furmark? That software that made nvidia and amd throttle GPUs whenever it was detected. Not all load is equal.

Can't remember any throtteling when I used it years ago but of course the fans ramped up a lot, just like when I use tools to test the stability of my CPU after overclocking. Or like some games make my PS3/4 become a lot louder. Still I expect gaming hardware to be able to deal with it. Not 24/7 but from time to time.

Echoplx

That's not true at all, software can cause overheating, remember furmark? That software that made nvidia and amd throttle GPUs whenever it was detected. Not all load is equal.

There's probably a more technical way to describe it but I'm tired and out of my depth.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm not alone! I wonder how much of the 18.9% played less than 1 hour and 27.6% played 1-10 hours is just idling.

That's actually an interesing question given the relative recency of trading cards -- the system is not much more than a year old. I can say with confidence that if it weren't for trading cards, at least 95% if my library would be untouched, but I'm also acutelt aware that I'm an outlier.

jblank83

For me, the combination of roguelike random level generation, limited persistence and growth (you can store a small number of items in your vault and carry them over to the next playthrough, and expand that with earned hero points, or use those points to unlock additional classes and perks), and the constantly encroaching darkness to add tension and create interesting risk vs. reward scenarios (there's a temple with a powerful artifact that'll be useful in the fight against the demon lord - can I get in, grab it and get out before the darkness reaches me? Should I pass it up and take my chances?) makes it really addictive. And each playthrough's long enough to feel satisfying, but short enough that I'll find myself thinking, "Just one more game" and dive back in.

One Way Heroics is also simply a well made game. It looks good and it plays well. For such a game, similar to Binding of Isaac or Spelunky, that's critical.

And it's an RPG. So if you like watching numbers, there's that.

Shadownet

Banned
I just took my little brother to go see Guardians of the Galaxy. It's amazing. It barely beat Captain America 2 and X-Men Days of Future Past as my Movie of the Year. What a great year for superhero film.

Hugstable

Banned
That's actually an interesing question given the relative recency of trading cards -- the system is not much more than a year old. I can say with confidence that if it weren't for trading cards, at least 95% if my library would be untouched, but I'm also acutelt aware that I'm an outlier.

The trading cards are nice though in that it lets me try out the games I wouldn't normally try out. Most of the time before Idol Master I give most of the games I idled for a little bit of a try just to see what the game is about. Main reason I used to like the achievement metagame during the big sales long ago, lets you test out games you normally wouldn't have played.

I just took my little brother to go see Guardians of the Galaxy. It's amazing. It barely beat Captain America 2 and X-Men Days of Future Past as my Movie of the Year. What a great year for superhero film.

Better than CA2? Okay so I might need to watch it then. Captain America 2 has some really well done fight scenes

derExperte

Been on a roll the last few days. 100%ed Goat Sim, Whispering Willows, Wolf Among Us, The Room and Time Mysteries, got all I'll ever get out of Killer is Dead, Octodad and Lili. Next is Stacking. Or Remember Me. Something not too difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom