• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

This "how to sell my Xbox One" thread is ridiculous. Perfectly sums up what a cesspool this site can be. I think I'm fine sticking my guts exclusively to the Steam thread

Funny thing is that I'm pro-Sony myself and I am irritated by the fanboyism and excessive console wars that happen in such threads. Can't fault people like Cliffy B that shit on GAF, they're actually right

I like posts like that. They're fun.

Apparently Valve forgot to set today's Daily -- only the Legend of Eisenwald sub was updated a few minutes ago.

They're probably in full rush of finalizing the HL3 GamesCom press.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Genuine question, what big services do folks tend to use for buying/renting digitally tv series and films ? Obviously Netflix but what about others ? Itunes ? Google Play ?

I jumped through a few hoops to rent How I Live Now from Amazon as it hit US theatres and VOD services simultaneously. That's where my experience with digitally-distributed films begins and ends, though, haha.

Shadownet

Banned
Some dude just traded me 12 CSGO guns for 1 AK-47 First Class.

I don't even care about the guns that much so I just like.. whatever. sure why not. He really wanted that AK.

Strazyplus

They're probably in full rush of finalizing the HL3 GamesCom press.

tumblr_llope3F4Yy1qboiovo1_500.gif

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
This "how to sell my Xbox One" thread is ridiculous. Perfectly sums up what a cesspool this site can be. I think I'm fine sticking my guts exclusively to the Steam thread

Funny thing is that I'm pro-Sony myself and I am irritated by the fanboyism and excessive console wars that happen in such threads. Can't fault people like Cliffy B that shit on GAF, they're actually right

Topic made
Obvious joke
Congrats on obvious joke
People take said obvious joke personally
Real feelings and conspiracy theories get posted
Continue last line till closing and banhammer

Genuine question, what big services do folks tend to use for buying/renting digitally tv series and films ? Obviously Netflix but what about others ? Itunes ? Google Play ?
iTunes is the only storefront I can access, but I still prefer bluray, superior IQ/AQ trumps all.

Beelzebubs

I don't even care about the guns that much so I just like.. whatever. sure why not. He really wanted that AK.

Yo Shadownet, you ever tried CS:GO gambling? Just started and I'm actually starting to get some gun skins.

Meanwhile I just bought my first gun skin in CSGO today. I feel like I'm on the edge of a very steep precipice here...

Shadownet

Banned
Yo Shadownet, you ever tried CS:GO gambling? Just started and I'm actually starting to get some gun skins.

By gambling you mean opening cases like a madman? no. :p I see what it did to Paulink. the fact that he haven't been on Steam in 1 day make me worry that the loan sharks got to him. He probably took out a loan to open up all those cases.

Meanwhile I just bought my first gun skin in CSGO today. I feel like I'm on the edge of a very steep precipice here...

I rather buy my own skins than open cases. gambling is bad. Luckily, i find most of the skins in CSGO to be hideous. Most of the ones I find attractive are from the cheaper tiers.

Beelzebubs

By gambling you mean opening cases like a madman? no. :p I see what it did to Paulink. the fact that he haven't been on Steam in 1 day make me worry that the loan sharks got to him. He probably took out a loan to open up all those cases.

I rather buy my own skins than open cases. gambling is bad. Luckily, i find most of the skins in CSGO to be hideous. Most of the ones I find attractive are from the cheaper tiers.

No I mean like on CSGOlounge, betting on competitive games with skins.

I bought 20 breakout cases last week, got 1 purple so decided to never unbox again.

kudoboi

Hopefully i'm not derailing this thread too much by posting this. If I am, let me know and ill remove this

iTunes for movies since it is the only service available here. rarely buy anything from there though. Its usually watch in cinema or wait until it comes onto Netflix (I use unblock-us). the most recent movie i bought via iTunes was "divergent". before that it was "her".

as for TV shows... none since none are available here. I don't understand these laws. I use hulu plus for most TV shows and netflix for others. i also can watch the latest episodes of the walking dead and breaking bad via AMC official site. they usually have the latest episode available for free. similar for CBS. everything also via unblock-us

my recently watched shows on netflix and hulu

Shadownet

Banned
Just check http://csgolounge.com/ and scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll see matches you can bet on. I strongly advise people don't bet though unless they know what they are doing.

Currently got an AK-47 Redline riding on Dignitas beating Epsilon. I'll get a $2.72 skin if Dignitas win.

Can't get items. Possible reasons:
- This profile is set to private ?
- Could not connect to Steam servers;
- Backpack is empty.

That pop up on my profile in CSGOlounge.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Soo.. As has become a tradition for the last 100 years, also this year I'm going away for our yearly lan-weekend with some old times friends in a month or so.

Last year we had some issues with CS GO. Disconnects, and random people joining all the time etc. What is the best way to set up a server so we can play something that looks like regular LAN sessions? We like classic mode and gunplay.

We're going to be eight people, does anyone have some neat suggestions for other games to play? strategy/shooters whatever

JaseC

Soo.. As has become a tradition for the last 100 years, also this year I'm going away for our yearly lan-weekend with some old times friends in a month or so.

Last year we had some issues with CS GO. Disconnects, and random people joining all the time etc. What is the best way to set up a server so we can play something that looks like regular LAN sessions? We like classic mode and gunplay.

The game has an sv_lan command. Set it to 1 to stop randoms joining.

Beelzebubs

You can't bet on live games, just click on the Dignitas game for example, it should show you what the odds are on it and returns.

Again I strongly recommend not placing bets unless you know what you're doing. If you do want to, there's a large subreddit which goes into details about the teams performance.

http://www.reddit.com/r/csgobetting/

Not going to advocate betting, just figured it'd be something a few people in here would have tried before.

That pop up on my profile in CSGOlounge.

That's probably because there's so many matches going on at the moment, the servers are getting hammered. I usually put my bets on the evening before then watch the matches to see if I should switch bets.

*edit* oops that was supposed to be an edit, not a double post.

Shadownet

Banned
You can't bet on live games, just click on the Dignitas game for example, it should show you what the odds are on it and returns.

Again I strongly recommend not placing bets unless you know what you're doing. If you do want to, there's a large subreddit which goes into details about the teams performance.

http://www.reddit.com/r/csgobetting/

Not going to advocate betting, just figured it'd be something a few people in here would have tried before.

So I can only bet on games that havent started yet? btw this pop up when I click on my profile over there.

Can't get items. Possible reasons:
- This profile is set to private ?
- Could not connect to Steam servers;
- Backpack is empty.

Edit: ahh thank you Beelze!

JaseC

The c word is taboo guys you dont want to end up like the last guy who used it...

"Cunt" is the treated just the same as any other insult: you can go into a thread about a drunk driver totalling his car and call him a "dumb cunt" but if you get into an argument with someone about the merits of Nintendo games expanding beyond its own consoles and proceed to call him the same thing when he disagrees, then that won't end well for you. In fewer words, what matters is the intent -- there's a distinction to make between labelling someone who did something recklessly stupid an idiot and belittling someone's opinion.

Beelzebubs

I'll give an example of how it works, for this I'd put $0.08 worth of skins on the line.

Overgaming in this has a 14% (5.92:1) chance of winning so if I put those skins on, I can expect a return of $0.47 worth of skins.

jc9jk5Y.png

The thing is betting is never reliable and you can see from previous matches, the odds don't always guarantee a win. Read up on how the site works and the risks before doing anything with it. Don't bet big!!!!!!

Tecl0n

I've been trying a few of the f2p games on steam and i have to say Warframe is really my kind of game. A shame i can already see the necesary grind for higher level equips.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Pira... Amazon.

Just curious about how many legit, good services were out there. I think every bugger out there knows about bittorrent etc :p

I jumped through a few hoops to rent How I Live Now from Amazon as it hit US theatres and VOD services simultaneously. That's where my experience with digitally-distributed films begins and ends, though, haha.

Yeah to be honest it would probably be more rental than anything else for me digitally. I actually used to be a really big film buff in terms of having 100s of dvds, blurays etc but I got fed up with having so much stuff I got rid of all of it. Best thing I ever did tbh especially as I don't watch films the way I used to. I think Steam and being digital for so long has spoilt me :p I could see me renting the odd film on the PS4 if it wasn't on Netflix etc.

Hopefully i'm not derailing this thread too much by posting this. If I am, let me know and ill remove this

iTunes for movies since it is the only service available here. rarely buy anything from there though. Its usually watch in cinema or wait until it comes onto Netflix (I use unblock-us). the most recent movie i bought via iTunes was "divergent". before that it was "her".

as for TV shows... none since none are available here. I don't understand these laws. I use hulu plus for most TV shows and netflix for others. i also can watch the latest episodes of the walking dead and breaking bad via AMC official site. they usually have the latest episode available for free. similar for CBS. everything also via unblock-us

my recently watched shows on netflix and hulu

That for this post, genuinely interesting. The mods can blame me for asking rather than you :p Hulu would be amazing to have, pity we have nothing that good in the UK :( The Hulu over here isn't much cop (ok I guess I could use unblock us etc)

Shadownet

Banned
"when i play with cheddahz, i know that i'm going to expect some smack talk, which is a good thing" - shadownet

This is what I think of whenever i play with you Cheddahz lol
again I mean that with all the love in the world.

-----------------------------------------------
[OT]

I posted this a month back but I started a Fantasy
American
Football League for SteamGAF, it's just something for fun. If you wanna play or have an interest in learning how to. PM me. It's not hard at all to learn (I can teach you everything) and it's a lot of fun if you're into football and managing. Looking for at least 6 people.

Here is a link to the site

I have Huggy is in it, I know nazzy like to join also and I think frost is interested as well.

Edit: The league is private so if you wanna join, PM me and i'll give you the password :) I've been playing with church friends for 3 years straight. But this year I thought I rather play with you guys instead.

Vibranium

Banned

Well, I feel Cliff generalized way too much, and ignored the over half this site does play games, and aren't bad apples that complain in threads. Not to mention the guy once insulted PC gamers and is now returning to the scene.

Mono

[OT]

American
Football League for SteamGAF, it's just something for fun. If you wanna play or have an interest in learning how to. PM me. It's not hard at all to learn (I can teach you everything) and it's a lot of fun if you're into football and managing. Looking for at least 6 people.

I have Huggy is in it, I know nazzy like to join also and I think frost is interested as well.

I have zero idea what any of that means, but I'll join in if you need someone! \o/

JaseC

Yeah to be honest it would probably be more rental than anything else for me digitally. I actually used to be a really big film buff in terms of having 100s of dvds, blurays etc but I got fed up with having so much stuff I got rid of all of it. Best thing I ever did tbh especially as I don't watch films the way I used to. I think Steam and being digital for so long has spoilt me :p I could see me renting the odd film on the PS4 if it wasn't on Netflix etc.

I've neglected my BD collection ever since I started collecting Steam games. I don't even have all of Saoirse's stuff, haha (but I intend to fix this eventually ;)).

Cheddahz

Banned

[OT]

American

hey, what's the password?

Shadownet

Banned
I have zero idea what any of that means, but I'll join in if you need someone! \o/

I'm terrible at explaining so if you want an overview of what Fantasy Football is like. Click Here I can explain the specific rules to you later if you wanna join :) all of this is free of course.

hey, what's the password?

^ I already PM you the password. As I said, if anyone wanna join. Just PM me and i'll give you the password and the link to the League.

We need at least 6 people, and at most I think 12 or 16.

Edit: as of right now we have officially 3 people. Me, Huggy and Cheddahz. Come Join Us!

I've been trying a few of the f2p games on steam and i have to say Warframe is really my kind of game. A shame i can already see the necesary grind for higher level equips.

The thing about Warframe is that it's core gameplay is grindy in nature (a bit like Diablo in that you're basically just murdering monsters). And because of that, it doesn't feel like a chore to get new stuff. If you're just starting out, you should consider trying to build the Rhino warframe. Single best frame in the game in my opinion and it will make life much easier for the rest of the game.

Mono

I'm terrible at explaining so if you want an overview of what Fantasy Football is like. Click Here I can explain the specific rules to you later if you wanna join :) all of this is free of course.

YOOO, it's like D&D but for American football fans! That sounds too complicated to get into and I'm not interested in sports too much outside of UFC, but thanks! Have fun!!

My friend showed me this site, pretty handy tool for crafting SteamTradeMatcher

That is really cool! I love what people do with Steam's API.

JaseC

after cleaning up my Steam library (hid 270/600+ entries) it feels appropriate to post in this thread again

Haha, wow. I've considered hiding AssCreed Unity to see if it makes the wait a little easier. ;) The recent Game Informer video caused my anticipation to shoot through the roof. If Ubi announces -- to the surprise of nobody -- a delay for the PC version, I'll be gutted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom