• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

aScaris

Wow, they changed the colour scheme of Steam? What's going on? (Sorry if I'm late, I didn't have internet for the last days ^^)

so they just announced that pre ordering COD AW on all platforms including steam will allow you to play it a day before release

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

there isn't enough lols in the world.

Mono

Aww the FFXIV free trial doesn't work for accounts that participated in the open beta. Oh well.

That's too bad. :( I think I technically participated in the open beta, but I never got to play the game. I accidentally chose the PS3 beta when I meant to choose the PC beta.

Anyone have any impressions of Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure?

I played the older games back in the day and liked them alright.
Tesla Effect is pretty much how you would remember the old games if you haven't played them since back in the day. The nostalgia would overlook things like the low video compression or the weird controls and that are things Tesla Effect obviously fixes, but the rest of the game really feels like playing your memories of those old adventure games, if that makes any sense. It's an odd feeling, but I loved it.

Evrain

I really want them to go back to COD4 with 20 v 20 big maps!
I prefer smaller teams, makes everything more manageable.
Speaking of BO2, did they change something? Booted up the game and even on min settings (HD6770M) it's lagging. True, my notebook sustained some heavy structural damage, but I don't think its performance degraded over time.

Lomax

Humble Artifex Mundi re-bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart
  • Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden
TIER 2: BTA
  • 9 Clues: The Secret of Serpent Creek
  • Nightmares from the Deep: The Siren's Call
TIER 3: 6$
  • Enigmatis The Mists of Ravenwood

I've only played the first Nightmares from the Deep, but based on that and the reputation of the others, these are some of the best made highest quality hidden object style adventure games out there if that's appealing.

so they just announced that pre ordering COD AW on all platforms including steam will allow you to play it a day before release

Doesn't that effectively just move the release date up one day? Basically becomes "buy digital play sooner."

Deitus

Aww the FFXIV free trial doesn't work for accounts that participated in the open beta. Oh well.

Yeah, which is bull because playing the beta for the original FFXIV before ARR was released shouldn't even count as the same game, but it does for some reason.

I just made a new account on a different email to get around it.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Well to be fair, it only takes what, 2 hours to finish following the instructions and thereby "completing" the single player in these shitfests.

You're not wrong :p

I wonder if this will actually do anything for preorder numbers. I can see it being good for people that want another way to justify preordering the game, but I can't see it really making a huge impact on sales.

CODAW looks like it will be hilarious fun when played properly with a mouse and keyboard.

My favorite quote so far from the newest trailer thread:

I'm not going PC for this one, too much mobility for wasd.

Mono

Yeah, which is bull because playing the beta for the original FFXIV before ARR was released shouldn't even count as the same game, but it does for some reason.

I just made a new account on a different email to get around it.

Woah, I didn't know that! If anything, they should be giving all that they can to those of us who experienced that godawful train wreck of an MMO!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Doesn't that effectively just move the release date up one day? Basically becomes "buy digital play sooner."

Yep:

8. What if I have pre-ordered a digital version of the game?

If you have pre-ordered a digital version of the game, you will be able to begin playing on November 3rd, and will get also get all of the Day Zero Edition special content. Please check with your digital download retailer for pre-loading details.

This comiket sale really highlights the disappointing lack of doujin titles on Steam.
(Certainly doesn't help that it's not even advertised on Steam's front page)

Turfster

Really weird if this is the case. Why would they do that?

Valve gonna Valve.
We didn't have a daily yesterday.
Why? Nobody knows!
It's kinda amazing that they're actually announcing the weeklong sales these days.
There was a long stretch where they were happening, but the site didn't mention them.

Aaron D.

I've only played the first Nightmares from the Deep, but based on that and the reputation of the others, these are some of the best made highest quality hidden object style adventure games out there if that's appealing.

Same. I enjoyed Nightmares: Siren's Call, so I looked into the $1 tier options just for funzies and came up with this screenshot from Abyss.

FPA7A9X.jpg

Hello, BioShock!

I think I broke my pointing finger insta-buying the first tier.

Deitus

Woah, I didn't know that! If anything, they should be giving all that they can to those of us who experienced that godawful train wreck of an MMO!

I know, right? Playing through the trial right now, and it's absolutely striking how even though a number of things are the same, it's basically a different game. You would think they would want to highlight the differences to people who were put off by the original version of the game.

Also, the orignal FFXIV came out in 2010. It not like someone could take advantage by getting two free weeks of a game they played the beta of 4 years ago. What a silly restriction. But at least it's easy to get around.

Vazduh

Payday 2 just got a new patch, focusing on network issues and optimization.

• The update is focusing on network related changes
  • We now have network options in the start menu and ingame menu. One can choose packet throttling and compression. Packet throttling is good for those who have poor connections and want to reduce network overhead. Packet throttling is off by default. Compression costs CPU time but when enabled reduces the network traffic. The poorer the connection, the better the compression becomes. Compression is on by default.
  • Drop-in synchronization is 5 times faster.
  • We've optimized the use and size of the largest and most used network packets. Everyone wins thanks to this, no matter what type of connection you have.
  • To summarize, the changes will be better for those who have latency, packet loss or slow connections. The network related changes will also benefit those who have trouble-free connections.

Also, official group is now over 1.2 million members which means free "Payday: The Heist" on 18.10., new heist & old Hoxton as playable character. If you didn't already join the official group, do it now. We want more free crap :p

Am I insane or is there actually no advertisement for the Summer Comiket Sale on Steam? I cannot find any page about it on Steam (the platform) or Steam (the web page).

There is, however, a store page here: http://store.steampowered.com/sale/japaneseindiefestival

Really weird if this is the case. Why would they do that?

Nice to see that a talk about the sale started while I was busy fighting with the password recovery. Suddenly didn't want to accept my password at all.

We prepared front page banners for Valve, they said they can put it up if the events gets enough attention. Here's hoping for it!

Knurek

Humble Spares:

(Artifex Mundi games are Class A baller. Support poor Polish developers with your monies)
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Unholy Heights -- MB-67E4102D7917D3DE - Taken by pupo. 4 entrants total.
Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart -- MB-8F9FD7D1D3D79C58 - Taken by Porcupine. 4 entrants total.
One Way Heroics -- MB-FB667979D2BEC85E - Taken by salazar547. 1 entrants total.

t1407782701z1.png

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Payday 2 just got a new patch, focusing on network issues and optimization.

Also, official group is now over 1.2 million members which means free "Payday: The Heist" on 18.10., new heist & old Hoxton as playable character. If you didn't already join the official group, do it now. We want more free crap :p

I think Payday 2 is going F2P when the PS4/XBO editions will be out this fall. I don't know the reasoning behind this decision as I am pretty sure that their current model works pretty well for them. More grind and a worse community is not what this game needs right now

Turfster

they said they can put it up if the events gets enough attention. Here's hoping for it!
This seems... really counter-productive.
How are people supposed to know about the event if they don't advertise it?
It's not like CIV V, The Witcher 2, XCOM and Rust still need advertising...
Oh well, I did my part, tweeting it to all my 60 followers an hour ago =p

Evrain

Any opinions on which Gundemonium is the best, or the one to get out of the three?
If you mean which part of the Gundemonium series, get Gundeadligne. It streamlines and refines the mechanics of Gundemonium, whereas Hitogata Happa, whilst still being top notch, is somewhat peculiar in its gameplay gimmicks and might actually turn you down.

woohoo!!! :D (it's a link to the video)
That got me excited. If they can maintain a "light" control scheme for those like me absolutely negated with complex inputs, this will be my first MK after Shaolin Monks.

xeris

Was moderately amusing for the 15 minutes I've played it so far.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (xeris, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae -- MB-F5F7F0C8441060DB - Taken by topyy. 28 entrants total.

t1407793141z1.png

Genki

;/ Steam. Was in the middle of my first real session of USFIV. Trying to learn Poison, but I'm terrible at links and can't even do c.lp c.lp mk reliably.

Doujin sale: have everything basically.

Durante

I don't want to make a thread about it, but OpenGL NG could be highly relevant for the future of Steam.

“OpenGL is a critical part of enabling developers to bring the best possible products to customers across a variety of platforms,” said Valve’s Gabe Newell. “We are committed to the Next Generation OpenGL initiative and are closely collaborating with Khronos members to create a high-performance rendering interface for SteamOS and future Valve games.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom