• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Pillars of Eternity popped up in the registry a few days ago, apparently. Has Obsidian said anything about when it intends to release the game on Early Access?

Forgot about this. Is it supposed to be like D:OS in that it's a "oldschool" like RPG.

well u know, just while we wait for mulana 2

i thought nito was a girl :I

really hard to keep track of you people

WRONG! Mulbruk is my Waifu!
11e24557004bae470d4480df2bc6dbf2_large.jpg

Don't worry she's 3024 years old so she's legal.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

Nabs

Pillars of Eternity popped up in the registry a few days ago, apparently. Has Obsidian said anything about when it intends to release the game on Early Access?

Backer Beta starts in a week. I don't know if they plan on launching the EA soon or at all.

The Backer Beta key WILL NOT be the same key that you use to get the final game.

Do beta keys count as +1? Will this one be temporary? Hey man, this could be your key to another +1.

rybrad

Last update said beta for backers at that level will be August 18 and Steam only. I don't think they mentioned when the general public can purchase on Steam.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
As others have already said, the Artifex Mundi games in the humble flash bundle are actually really good, probably the best stuff in the genre... I really like to play them :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Backer Beta starts in a week. I don't know if they plan on launching the EA soon or at all.

The Backer Beta key WILL NOT be the same key that you use to get the final game.

The only way in which that makes sense is if... *drum roll* the beta and final game are separate apps.

Edit:
Do beta keys count as +1? Will this one be temporary? Hey man, this could be your key to another +1.

There's the distinct possibility that Obsidian will revoke beta keys/empty the beta subs once the full game has released... but better safe than sorry.

Deitus

Okay then. Don't bother actually clarifying what happened either. As long as you informed us that he didn't get banned for 'keeping it real' or whatever was posted like a hundred pages back.

No need to be like that. I didn't really have chance to dig up the Mumei post like Anteater did, but I felt it was worth pointing out that he did not get banned over a year old post.

I didn't remember all of the details, so I didn't want to say something that wasn't true. "Keeping it real" was Nito's assessment of why he would get banned, that he posted shortly before the ban. It continued to be a joke after that because it was funny.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Residue keys from groupees greenlight 3 are finally up. also heres some spares

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Rhaknar, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Famaze -- MB-25F5848E1417C262 - Taken by drakaenae
Dead Hungry Diner -- MB-7B6A6C6D98A8135C - Taken by Knurek
Aeon Command -- MB-703D59415125F550 - Taken by 8 X 11 Printer Paper

yes they did on the giantbomb quicklook

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Came home from work to find 27 cards sitting waiting for me to flog and still going. That's 27 cards closer to Risen 3 then! Woooooo.

Okay it's not easy to recommend me something if I'm saying that I'm open to everything, but that's the truth :D
What would be your 3 most favoured picks?

Well, you should definitely pickup the Humble Bundle Weekly which is also full of japanese games. Outside of those, if you like run 'n' gun games with mechs inspired by Assault Suits Valken, you can't go wrong with Gunhound and Gigantic Army. If you liked Blood Palace mode of Devil May Cry fame, both Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae and Croixleur Sigma are like that.

Fairy Bloom Freesia is a brawler, or a combo 'em up where you punch, ludicrously punch and kick stuff as a kickass fairy. Including ass kicking, yes. Has an extremely deep customization system that will keep you experimenting moves a lot.

World End Economica is a very solid visual novel, highly recommended. Bunny Must Dies is an awesome platformer of Platine Dispositif, a one-man outfit like ZUN. RefleX is the second chapter of an epic shmup trilogy by Siter Skain, kind of like the elders of doujin gaming. Before everything, before doujin gaming even embraced Windows, there was already Siter Skain on the FM Towns.

eXceed 2nd Vampire Rex features the polarity mechanic, yeah, the same one you see in Ikaruga although taken to another level with rank management (game gets harder the better you do but lowers difficulty if you keep getting stomped, you can control this by actually dying on purpose) and very colourful bosses.

99 Spirits is a mixutre of RPG and visual novel with some strategy in a game where you need to discover the name of your enemy to attack it. Quite complex but rewarding. War of the Human Tanks is a strategy game with small touches of VN. Murderously hard yet fun once you get the hang of it.

There are no easy games there btw. Most are very challenging with La Mulana being violently challenging and Eryi's Action directly being a trapformer. But that delicious melon is so worth it.

edit: I'm skipping a fair bit of games, they are all great as well!

Kifimbo

Speaking of FEZ:

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kifimbo, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

FEZ -- MB-0112E00332779914 - Taken by City 17

Blammo.
Defeated the boss in One Way Heroics.
Dude was easier than some of the randoms I encountered along the way.

EDIT: And I get three-shotted by the very first enemy in the next game.

Mono

One of the better bundles lately, great value for anyone who is remotely interested in the genre. I bought most of them day 1 and will continue doing so (got most of my money back thanks to high card prices).

I've oddly never played a hidden object game, but I like point and clicks and adventure games. Would the games in the $1 tier be good for seeing if I like the genre?

Lomax

Eryi's Action is the only Japanese Game You Need

header_292x136.jpg

ONLY $1.69 - http://store.steampowered.com/app/261700/

So much fun I couldn't put it down when I played.
It's a troll platformer but it's just the right difficulty.

ss_f18f80f583f29986d15535f63bff1c9b74db3158.600x338.jpg

Website will tell you all you need to know if you're still wondering
http://eryisaction.com/

This game is only worth playing if there's someone with you who can laugh at your misery. Otherwise it's intentionally awful in every possible way.

Thank you so much for your long recommendation list :) I think I will buy the bundle and will also look into World End Economica; I love visual novels.

You're welcome. As someone else said, if you want a good laugh, try Eryi's Action. Nothing is what it seems, not even its genre. (It may appear as a platformer but things just go deeper a couple of stages down the line. Fairies can go to incredible extents for their delicious melon.)

I see you have a Dark Souls avatar, well, Croixleur has some armored dullahans with shields and you can parry enemy sword strikes as well as dash around to dodge damage (not quite the rolling with i-frames of DS but, hey, it's dodging!). 'course it's more coloruful and less bleak or full of flipping Havels and gank squads.

Porcupine

I've oddly never played a hidden object game, but I like point and clicks and adventure games. Would the games in the $1 tier be good for seeing if I like the genre?

Absolutely, I played Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden on my Galaxy Tab and I was surprised how good it was. The genre really has developed.

You're welcome. As someone else said, if you want a good laugh, try Eryi's Action. Nothing is what it seems, not even its genre. (It may appear as a platformer but things just go deeper a couple of stages down the line. Fairies can go to incredible extents for their delicious melon.)

I see you have a Dark Souls avatar, well, Croixleur has some armored dullahans with shields and you can parry enemy sword strikes as well as dash around to dodge damage (not quite the rolling with i-frames of DS but, hey, it's dodging!). 'course it's more coloruful and less bleak or full of flipping Havels and gank squads.

I will try Earyi's Action, too, already made ~30€ by idling game cards :D So I can spent some money.

Jawmuncher

This game is only worth playing if there's someone with you who can laugh at your misery. Otherwise it's intentionally awful in every possible way.

I played it by myself and loved it all the way through.
Guess i'm just a masochist. I just loved how you had to think outside of the box a lot of times and how a lot of the solutions felt like cheating the game.

FloatOn

Also in the category of "mindfuck" is The Swapper. I tried playing that recently as well. Beautiful game, I just can't bring myself to do the mental gymnastics to overcome it.

Maybe when I'm done with school/getting divorced I'll have the mental energy to mess around with these types of games.

Jawmuncher

You can also just look at the maps posted on Steam Community to skip most of the puzzles. It's still a great game outside of those.

Hmmm I do like playing games the wrong way.

Also in the category of "mindfuck" is The Swapper. I tried playing that recently as well. Beautiful game, I just can't bring myself to do the mental gymnastics to overcome it.

Maybe when I'm done with school/getting divorced I'll have the mental energy to mess around with these types of games.

Yep recently played that as well and was liking it but much like you just didn't want to put that much effort that I knew the puzzles would get into later. Hope your current endeavors go smoothly/get finished quickly.

I liked what I played of this game as well (~2 hours), need to get back to it someday. Did you finish it?

Yep beat it in 2 sittings. Only one part I never actually figured out myself. and it was really close to the end.

zkylon

zkylewd

i actually found the difficulty in the swapper to be pretty much perfect

i had to look up a guide on one puzzle but i got all the others on my own which for me at least it's a big deal and it was a lot of getting stuck, slowing down, figuring it out

kinda like portal or braid, you can usually just get it yourself if you get to thinking

Parsnip

Extras.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart -- MB-7049515195379273 - Taken by GaussTek
Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden -- MB-DF0E9DA64191C6B1 - Taken by electroflame

Altazor

Yesterday I raged about Baldur's Gate 2. I raged. Almost enough to rage-quit, but I took the easy way and "solved" the problem I had but I got less loot and less EXP. Of course.

Early Baldur's Gate 2 spoilers?
doing the Windspear Hills quest in Chapter 2. Fucking Samia and her cronies appearing after I loot the tomb in the second level of the dungeon... no matter what I did, I got fucked up by her party. Reloaded dozens of times, decided to summon elementals and beasts (and they got #rekt and the elemental got dominated), my party got chaos'd, Aerie died and so Minsc went fucking berserk, and so on... all over again. So I decided to kill the bitch before looting the tomb. I missed out on the party's sweet loot and EXP, but I got one less fucking headache.

I know it's my fault and not the game's, anyway. I recognize it's not "faulty game design" 'cause I've seen videos of people taking care of that encounter with relative ease - so my failure in that area is down to me. But hey, what's done is done and I hope I'll be able to do shit better in the future... because, at least, this one wasn't a crucial encounter, a pivotal decision moment or whatever. Just a very frustrating battle.

Oh well, at least I was able to defeat a bunch of vampires that were giving me fucking HELL earlier in the same dungeon. That felt good
until I got #rekt by that Samia fight, ugh
. And yes, I'm ranting here 'cause the BG2 thread is deaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom