• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.
This seems... really counter-productive.
How are people supposed to know about the event if they don't advertise it?
It's not like CIV V, The Witcher 2, XCOM and Rust still need advertising...
Oh well, I did my part, tweeting it to all my 60 followers an hour ago =p

I feel the same, but in the end we are just some small fish and all our sales totaled wouldn't compare to the triple A's and they are running a business there so they need to pick the ones that will make the most for the limited advertising space they have.

All their stuff looks like it's machine translated.
Their Dutch translations are hilariously bad too.
I doubt anyone that actually speaks the language rereads them.

They are not machine translated but translated by non-native speakers that we were able to find in the very limited time we had to deliver those banners. I prepared new banners as suggested for the German version. What should be the correct Dutch translation?

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Staying the fuck out of OT. Holy jesus is this forum somtimes toxic.
Love my steambros, though.

I risked two bans when I posted there a few times. Fortunately I had enough self control to ignore these people and not engage in further arguments with them, it also helped that the threads were too fast moving for a mod to notice. Sports threads are the worst, keep away

Turfster

They are not machine translated but translated by non-native speakers that we were able to find in the very limited time we had to deliver those banners. I prepared new banners as suggested for the German version. What should be the correct Dutch translation?
I meant in general, like TF2 items and such.
I didn't even know there was a Dutch version of the banner?
I'm only getting the English one, even when I force language with ?l=dutch

Your french one needs to be "des jeux indépendants Japonais" though ;)
Something is also bugging me about your Japanese one, but it's time to get back to work.

Durante

Ha, not missing much:
steamjpindieudka3.png

I don't want to make a thread about it, but OpenGL NG could be highly relevant for the future of Steam.
Does this have to do with SteamOS being Linux and thus only supporting OpenGL?
Windows PC games are mostly (?) DirectX based, right? So SteamOS will not support a lot of games in the beginning.
Makes sense to push OpenGL for Valve therefore.

Think you already guessed it, I am not versed in the matter. There are likely mistakes.

What are the advantages of DX/OGL and which do devs actually prefer? Is it very difficult to "port" games between each other or feasible at all? Is one "destined" to "die out" in the future?

Interesting topic, but having not enough knowledge, it is hard to understand implications when news break.

Deitus

Staying the fuck out of OT. Holy jesus is this forum somtimes toxic.
Love my steambros, though.

I feel like we hear this about OT or Gaming just about every other day. Not that I'm disagreeing or anything, it's just interesting.

I still read and post in both, as there's plenty of good discussion to be found, but fairly often I'll ignore all of the warning signs and enter a thread that I should have predicted would turn into shithole, and lo and behold it does. I know they say there's a defense force for everything, but man does it sometimes catch me by surprise the things people will defend.

Jawmuncher

;/ Steam. Was in the middle of my first real session of USFIV. Trying to learn Poison, but I'm terrible at links and can't even do c.lp c.lp mk reliably.

Doujin sale: have everything basically.

Poison is my favorite from the new characters. So easy to weft the hang of right away. She's a good secondary to my juri....though I think I already play better wit poison than her.

---------

Anything in OT that can deal with vastly different and strong opinions I don't even bother with.

I still believe an extra e added some "je ne sais quoi" to the text. :p
But you are right, an adjective feminine with a masculine word is faulty.

Durante

Interesting topic, but having not enough knowledge, it is hard to understand implications when news break.
Basically, it's like this: OpenGL is the only cross-platform, cross-vendor 3D graphics API. It does its job, but its very old (initially released in 1992), and still has a lot of baggage because of that. The other issue is that driver quality varies greatly.

This initiative tries to fix both of these, by making a clean break in the API, and creating a new one which is easier to fully validate.

The reason this is very important is that, as I said above, OpenGL is the only cross-platform, cross-vendor 3D API. If NG manages to get rid of the wrinkles there really wouldn't be any reason to use anything else, and that would make porting much easier, especially when not using a huge middleware engine.

Knurek

Does this have to do with SteamOS being Linux and thus only supporting OpenGL?
Windows PC games are mostly (?) DirectX based, right? So SteamOS will not support a lot of games in the beginning.
Makes sense to push OpenGL for Valve therefore.

IIRC Valve is making an D3D->OGL wrapper.

Basically, it's like this: OpenGL is the only cross-platform, cross-vendor 3D graphics API. It does its job, but its very old (initially released in 1992), and still has a lot of baggage because of that. The other issue is that driver quality varies greatly.

Can it be really called cross-anything if driver quality is so abysmal just about anything more complicated than a Gouraud shaded cube will be rendered incorrectly without vendor specific codepaths?

Something is also bugging me about your Japanese one, but it's time to get back to work.

Yea, I was just wondering if we can add a Dutch one as well. Anyway, I forwarded the new versions of the French and German banners to our Valve contact, thanks for all the help. :)

Anustart

I'm missing something with Revengeance. I'm just not having a lot of fun with the game. Just got into the Marshal building and having trouble continuing. I really like action games, with DMC 3 being one of my favorites.

When fighting Monsoon, I just mashed the two attacks with the parrying and blocking peppered within. Then he goes into I dodge everything mode and I had no clue how to get him out of it other than mash buttons until something happened. Apparently I'm unlocking moves, but don't know how to use them. So it's just x x x x y for my attacks :/

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I risked two bans when I posted there a few times. Fortunately I had enough self control to ignore these people and not engage in further arguments with them, it also helped that the threads were too fast moving for a mod to notice.

Nito is currently in the middle of a three month ban for something he posted last year.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Pillars of Eternity popped up in the registry a few days ago, apparently. Has Obsidian said anything about when it intends to release the game on Early Access?

Ha, not missing much:

waifus waifus waifus waifus

waifus LA-MULANA waifus

Deitus

Nito is currently in the middle of a three month ban for something he posted last year.

That's not what happened.

waifus LA-MULANA waifus

La Mulana is a fantastic game, though I imagine its difficulty and obscure puzzles are off putting to some people. Still, I loved it
even if I had to consult a guide to actually figure out how to beat the game.

Echoplx

I'm missing something with Revengeance. I'm just not having a lot of fun with the game. Just got into the Marshal building and having trouble continuing. I really like action games, with DMC 3 being one of my favorites.

When fighting Monsoon, I just mashed the two attacks with the parrying and blocking peppered within. Then he goes into I dodge everything mode and I had no clue how to get him out of it other than mash buttons until something happened. Apparently I'm unlocking moves, but don't know how to use them. So it's just x x x x y for my attacks :/

Dude constantly yells about magnets and the game spams em grenades at you when you finish the blade mode bits, it's not that hard to figure out what you have to do

zkylon

zkylewd
waifus LA-MULANA waifus
well u know, just while we wait for mulana 2

b4b8e82710a19daff072816ec99f1029_large.jpg

When is Nito coming back? I miss that guy.

i thought nito was a girl :I

really hard to keep track of you people

La Mulana is a fantastic game, though I imagine it's difficulty and obscure puzzles are off putting to some people. Still, I loved it
even if I had to consult a guide to actually figure out how to beat the game.

i gotta give la mulana another shot

i absolutely loved what i played but i don't think i can beat that game without a guide

couldn't even get too far, really

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom