• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mono

Finished one of the worst games I've ever played, Akane the Kunoichi.

The game looks uninspired, the controls are horrible and the level design is abysmal. Basically it's shit.

You are a female ninja trying to rescue your love one. To do that you go through 15 awful levels (5 worlds, 3 stages each). I was about to quit when I noticed I was 2/3 into the game already so I decided to keep going. It took me 3 hours to beat, which could have been less if it weren't for the bad controls.

The game has the worst wall jumping in any platformer, probably the worst platforming for that matter. Being a ninja game I would expect something faster instead I got a something slow and unresponsive.

I would not recommend playing this game under any circumstances and I still don't get how it has mostly positive reviews on steam.

The only positive thing to say about it is that is has cards.

This game shall be hidden in my library along with Superfrog HD until there is an option to easily remove it.

Too bad, that game sounded fun! What made you play all the way through it?

I still can't believe that Big Picture doesn't support group chat or group voice chat. C'mon, Valve.

Really?!

Volvo, pls

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Exactly, what happenned to me. It's almost 3 am where I live and I can't get to sleep after hearing the sad news.

I normally don't sympathize with people taking their lives. While I understand the reasons that someone might want to do it, the act itself is irresponsible and the victims are actually the people you leave behind. Robin William's death has deeply affected me though. I knew he always had some personal issues (he was a long time alcoholic iirc) but I couldn't imagine he would go that far. If anyone is facing any similar issues, please consider finding someone to talk to, depression is one of the worst things that can happen to someone and is very difficult to go through it alone

I am an attempt survivor and you just get to breaking point. And your mind is so warped, in so much anguish that you start to think that nothing else matters and that you are doing your family and friends a huge favor. Mental illness just sucks.

One of the reasons I want to study medicine.

I always like this story by Stephen Fry:
http://youtu.be/cKiAz6ndUbU?t=3m40s

Really?!

Volvo, pls
I got into a group chat last night, and I got a desktop notification about it, and the regular steam chat window (on the desktop), but nada in BP where my game was going. I had to go and get my laptop out and use chat on that rather than alt-tab out of my game to chat.

And BPM will still spontaneously lose focus and become unresponsive. I can hear it moving around in menus and junk, but the actual window just shows where ever I was at and doesn't show where or what I'm actually doing. This has happened going from the web browser to chat, or even from the bottom half of a game page to the top. I always have to alt-f4 it and get Steam back into desktop mode.

This trailer make me want to buy Tesla Effect. Is it any good ? (i have never play anygame in this franchise before)
There is a demo for it, you know. I played it back before it released and it really made me want to get it. It's like a first person point and click game with FMV cutscenes. It kinda reminds me of realMyst or something.

Deitus

This Robin Williams news is really hitting me hard. He was probably the first actor I ever knew by name, and he made up such a part of my childhood.

I am an attempt survivor and you just get to breaking point. And your mind is so warped, in so much anguish that you start to think that nothing else matters and that you are doing your family and friends a huge favor. Mental illness just sucks.

One of the reasons I want to study medicine.

I always like this story by Stephen Fry:
http://youtu.be/cKiAz6ndUbU?t=3m40s

I think there is a tendency to blame people who commit suicide, because they are not around anymore to explain themselves, and their friends and family are left with only sadness and confusion. It is really awful on the ones left behind, but we shouldn't forget that the people who commit suicide were going through something awful as well.

I'm sorry to hear that you went through something like that, but it's good that you seem to be in a better place mentally now.

Lomax

Is the flash humble bundle new? I don't remember seeing it before, but I thought the flash deals were reruns of old bundles.

It's new, in fact most of the flash humbles have been new, there's only been a couple of re-bundles and they were clearly marked as such.

rtcn63

I knew he always had some personal issues (he was a long time alcoholic iirc) but I couldn't imagine he would go that far. If anyone is facing any similar issues, please consider finding someone to talk to, depression is one of the worst things that can happen to someone and is very difficult to go through it alone

If he suffered from mental illness- depression, bipolarity, etc. It's not as others expect. When in a state, you're in pure agony, the mind feeling possibly as if it's expanding each second, preparing itself to explode. Time, emotion, and context alter themselves into some perverse macabre, and all you want is to escape, to end your role in all of it. It all sounds selfish and wrong, but when you're in that kind of pain, particularly over a period of years, a single day overreaching the limits of the last, it's... death does not appear to be a terrible option.

anyone know anything about Hangeki??
seems like a fun shump/shooter
Here's the review of Hangeki from a fellow blogger I'm friendly with
Arcade aficionados and score-chasing 1cc'ers rejoice; Hangeki is the counter-attack of leaderboard-driven, score-breaking, retro action you've been waiting for.

Those of us old enough to remember the warm glow and the busy sounds of a bustling arcade remember a time when games were more of a social and competitive interaction where we wouldn't just play to simply say we finished but to perfect it and surpass the scores of those who came before you. Games like Galaga, 1943, or Toaplan's Batsugun were never a matter of simply "beating the game", these old classics were all about the points, maximizing your runs and learning every little detail about the game to get that perfect playthrough. Hangeki captures this arcade spirit all too well with it's bite-sized levels full of adrenaline and replayability as it pushes you to come back to each stage to try and try again with new weapons and gained skills or techniques.

On the surface Hangeki shows a similar concept and style to the row-reducing gameplay of Space Invaders with enemy variation akin to Galaga and it's many spinoffs. The similarities stop here, however, as the combat itself takes a much more modern bullet-hell approach to the chaos involved in dodging and timing your Hangeki 'counter-attack' which acts as a finishing bomb and is how you will advance each wave. Fans of the more recent Galaga Legions DX will instantly fall in love with the combination of old-school enemy formations with the frenetic satisfaction of modern visuals and pacing. Unfortunately that game never saw a PC release, but I'm happy to say Hangeki fills the void just fine.

The game is as flashy as it is punishing requiring full engagement of your audio/visual sensories and can almost be a bit overwhelming with how much is going on, but that's exactly how us shmup enthusiasts like it. Your eyes will be busy and a lot of your practicing will be focused on where you train your center of vision. You'll learn to strike a balance between watching enemy ship patterns at the top to anticipate which bullet-types are incoming and keeping track your powerup meter in order to time and aim your special weapons perfectly. One misplaced shot and you'll be back to dodging and waiting for your next weapon or Hangeki to powerup, costing you valuable time and points.

Victory in Hangeki is also handled in a very unique manner when it comes to the classic shmup formula, as you aren't simply trying to shoot down each enemy to score. Your score, instead of being based on a mundane points-by-kill basis, is reflected by the quickness and diligence in which each wave is dealt with and how fast you're able to trigger your Hangeki through sustained chains and repeated successful shots. This creates a much more competitive and skill-based atmosphere on the very important, addictive and well designed leaderboards. If you love leaderboards you'll love Hangeki.

Hangeki boasts an impressive arsenal of unique weaponry counting in at 51 pieces of unlockable equipment, and they all pack a serious punch in their own right. These range anywhere from a piercing cannon that's capable of incapacitating an entire vertical row, seconds long shielding for that sudden moment of invincibility in the roughest of times, and huge rolling waves of flame that can take out large lines of enemies. These are only some of the beginning weapons, and as you play you'll continue to unlock better, more insane weaponry that will push you to revisit past levels and reattempt your score with new-found strategies.

This is a game crafted with a serious devotion to the arcade culture, and a detailed love for the shmup genre. It's a classic shooter with modern flair that I can wholeheartedly recommend to anyone from the most old-school of arcade veterans to the most hardcore and modern of Cave or Touhou-styled bullet-hell fanatics.

If you're using Chrome:

1. Right click one of the fixed prices
  2. Click "Inspect Element"
  3. Right underneath the coding for the $5 selection, there is the commented out element for the custom amount field
  4. Right click that block of code and click "Edit HTML"
  5. Remove <-- and -->
  6. Replace "25.00" in that section with however much you want to pay
  7. Click out of that box, but still in the source menu
  8. The page will update, and you can now pay however much you want

Or you could wait for them to fix it themselves, but they seem to be taking a while. Or they may be removing the custom amount field forever?

interesting, I think I'll wait to see if they fix it. I was keen on orcs must die when it first came out but that interest has dwindled.

Ozium

So Ys Origin just got cards, with the other games to follow suit soon. Dunno how old the news is.

excellent.

does this mean Ys I and II will have separate cards?

PyrjjQV.gif

By the by, there's nothing like putting in a buy order on a 40 cent background and getting someone to sell it to you for 5 cents. Feels good. I got all the USF4 backgrounds for less than "going" price for one if it's rarer ones.
does this mean Ys I and II will have separate cards?
Oh shit

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
By the by, there's nothing like putting in a buy order on a 40 cent background and getting someone to sell it to you for 5 cents. Feels good. I got all the USF4 backgrounds for less than "going" price for one if it's rarer ones.

yeah i manage to pull a few of these snipes on emotes and bgs a week. feels real swell.

Volcynika

XSEED Games &#8207;@XSEEDGames 8m
Steam users: here's lookin' at you, kids! Ys Origin trading cards and goodies are now up, with Felghana and Chronicles+ yumness to follow.

More cards soon!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone needs to go back and rewatch one of the best 90s kids movie now

Jumanji.jpg

its your duty
I am going to, grew up with that movie and love it. I even had (and probably still have) the board game.

Man, this is so sad. Usually this stuff doesn't affect me, but Robin Williams seemed so happy, full of humor and life. I couldn't even laugh when a friend told me some black humor jokes about him, and I always enjoy that kind of humor. Poor guy :(

Rudakus

kind of annoying that the bundle from Indie Ammo Box the average keeps going up with no way to beat the average then paying the currant $5 minimum.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Exactly, what happenned to me. It's almost 3 am where I live and I can't get to sleep after hearing the sad news.

I normally don't sympathize with people taking their lives. While I understand the reasons that someone might want to do it, the act itself is irresponsible and the victims are actually the people you leave behind. Robin William's death has deeply affected me though. I knew he always had some personal issues (he was a long time alcoholic iirc) but I couldn't imagine he would go that far. If anyone is facing any similar issues, please consider finding someone to talk to, depression is one of the worst things that can happen to someone and is very difficult to go through it alone
Depression is so fucking horrible it can even make you think those victims you mention will be better off without you. It can make you stop thinking straight, and put some scary stuff in your mind. Stuff that you know is wrong, but can't stop thinking anyway.

I used to think suicide was for fools, but I've learned that sometimes it's stronger than one's will. The brain is an incredibly complex thing. Fucking piece of shit, depression is :/

sleeping-dogs-year-of-the-snake-walkthrough.jpg

Took me about 2 hours to finish and got 2 achievements.

I didn't like this DLC much, it felt like a poorly done user made mission, bad scripting, bugs and uninspired mission design included, Year of the Snake places you in the shoes of Hong Kong police officer Wei Shen, though unlike Sleeping Dogs main story is a just an average beat cop and not an undercover cop. The DLC starts with you patrolling the street during festivities leading up to New Year's Eve. Soon things go to hell as a group of cultist perform terrorist attacks on the city and Wei just happens to be pulled into the case.

The next 2 hours consist of boring fights between you and the 3 different cultist characters models and poorly paced firefights along with some really bland and unnecessarily long car chases or car shootouts. I encountered a lot of really prominent bugs like police officer allies and enemies popping up out of thin air right in front of me and some really bad path finding on enemies causing me to have to restart checkpoints 2 or 3 times.

What makes this so disappointing is the fact that Sleeping Dogs proper is so good, it seems like this DLC takes all the stuff that was fun in Sleeping Dogs and just throws it together really poorly and saps all the fun out of it with bugs, poor pacing and just overall bad design.

+ Wei's SWAT outfit is cool looking I guess
+ Some of the new cars are cool
+ They put together some decent cutscenes and got the VO cast back for the DLC which is admirable.

- Poorly paced
- A lot of serious bugs
- Uninspired everything
- Just not very fun to play, was bored well before it was over.

3 out of 10, if you want more Sleeping Dogs action, just play Sleeping Dogs again.

taco543

To whoever grabs the DLC I'm sorry if it doesn't work I may have accidentally used it. But if it does work you're welcome!
ModBot said:
Instructions for taco543:
I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (taco543, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Orcs Must Die! 2: Family Ties -- MB-2922F9748A603ADE
Orcs Must Die! Lost Adventures -- MB-C0DC0D437749E07D
Orcs Must Die! 2: Are We There Yeti? -- MB-05A7B0D86107F914
Orcs Must Die! Franchise Soundtrack -- MB-FA165BE333166ED5 - Taken by TheMadMan007. 1 entrants total.
Orcs Must Die! 2 -- MB-1EA74F26F9C4C9C0 - Taken by Sgt.Pepper. 9 entrants total.
Orcs Must Die! -- MB-622392CF13687F9A - Taken by salazar547. 5 entrants total.
Orcs Must Die! Artifacts of Power -- MB-0BC791F60B356FDE
Orcs Must Die! 2: Fire and Water -- MB-300D1DE012C6069E - Taken by Emperor_EL. 1 entrants total.

t1407816302z1.png

Jawmuncher

Off topic but I'm about to get on the plain to go back to new York in about 15 minutes. I'll be back on steam with you guys by tomorrow <3

Good Flight be with you.

----------

In Divinity original sin do you get quest markers? In the first town and I'm kinda not seeing where to go. Granted I'll explore it all just curious.

BadRamen

After completing Sleeping Dogs main story last year, I waited until last monthish to go through all three "story" DLC (although according to Stump, maybe Wheels of Fury will satisfy me with a teeny bit of story), and I had fun with all three. Each one definitely hit a classic/cliche kungfu movie plot and I ate all that up.

Secret deadly tournament on an island?
Check
HK beat cop who has to save the city from essentially terrorists?
Check
Mystical undead evil trying to enslave the living world?
Check

My favorite cutscene was the intro to Year of the Snake where Wei gets demoted to beat for fucking up the city and costing them way too much money. A good ol' switcheroo!

EDIT: Here is the main part of it. Possible maybe spoilers for the main story?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom