• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of taco543, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (taco543, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Orcs Must Die! 2: Family Ties -- MB-2922F9748A603ADE
Orcs Must Die! Lost Adventures -- MB-C0DC0D437749E07D
Orcs Must Die! 2: Are We There Yeti? -- MB-05A7B0D86107F914
Orcs Must Die! Franchise Soundtrack -- MB-FA165BE333166ED5 - Taken by TheMadMan007. 1 entrants total.
Orcs Must Die! 2 -- MB-1EA74F26F9C4C9C0 - Taken by Sgt.Pepper. 9 entrants total.
Orcs Must Die! -- MB-622392CF13687F9A - Taken by salazar547. 5 entrants total.
Orcs Must Die! Artifacts of Power -- MB-0BC791F60B356FDE
Orcs Must Die! 2: Fire and Water -- MB-300D1DE012C6069E - Taken by Emperor_EL. 1 entrants total.

t1407816302z1.png

Jawmuncher

As good as that game is it's one and done for me. Same can be said for about 90% of the games I own. Backlog is too big and too many good games are coming out to replay things.

Backlog is my main reason I don't bother with DLC at all. Have yet to play anything in my backlog that I go "man I wish I had all of the DLC for it" after I've beaten it. 99% of the time I know if I want DLC ahead of time.

Ozium

I don't know people get mad about video games, in WoW I would undercut people obviously to sell for slightly cheaper and get hate spam

they can't handle your capitalist swag... it's the community MARKET not the community let's-all-share-and-feel-good-about-our-lives...

My post was missed because it was posted at the end of the last page. Is the Orcs Must Die 1 and 2 DLC worth the extra amount on the Indie Ammo Box bundle?

KingDirk

Had a brief reprieve from wedding stuff today (get married on the 21st of this month if anybody's feeling generous =P). Used that time to get some of the endings in Analogue and got past Mission 3 in Revengeance. I feel like I'm hitting a ceiling in terms of my capabilities in that game but goshdarn if parries aren't still the most satisfying feeling in the world. This game will definitely get a NG+ from me down the line.

Also, I've become addicted to this thread even if I'm mostly a lurker. People in here are always willing to answer any questions and it's making me so happy that I finally have a mid-tier gaming machine. I've actually become somewhat excited about doing the Steam Secret Santa later. =)

EDIT: And as someone who bought Sleeping Dogs day 1, I have always envied those what played it on the PC. Granted, I've evangelized that game to every single one of my friends at this point, but still.

Jawmuncher

The best AC game I played was 2 and it still felt like a chore. Still waiting for a really unique setting since the apparently botched the American setting in 3.

Feudal Japan is what I need.

Basically, it's like this: OpenGL is the only cross-platform, cross-vendor 3D graphics API. It does its job, but its very old (initially released in 1992), and still has a lot of baggage because of that. The other issue is that driver quality varies greatly.
This initiative tries to fix both of these, by making a clean break in the API, and creating a new one which is easier to fully validate.
The reason this is very important is that, as I said above, OpenGL is the only cross-platform, cross-vendor 3D API. If NG manages to get rid of the wrinkles there really wouldn't be any reason to use anything else, and that would make porting much easier, especially when not using a huge middleware engine.
Sorry for late reply, fell asleep.
Ok, thanks for explaining. This new initiative is about OpenGL becoming easier to work with and get rid of its old baggage as you say. I guess a clean break as you say means that the improvements/advancements will only affect new games which will use that new OpenGL. Shame, it sounds like older games that weren't OpenGL will not benefit from this easily.
It's nice to want things - I know - but somehow I wished this means older/current games which are not playable on Linux now, will be playable/ported almost with no effort/natively on SteamOS.
Still, this is great news for the future. I sometimes use Ubuntu from USB and I have to say, if all my Steam games would work on Linux, I'd jump ship fast. Very resource-light, all kinds of programs available, easily usable without having Linux knowledge, very clever UI.
---
Reading about many fellow gaf friends having depression is a bummer. It really can be unbelievable tough at times. Wish you got some solid coping mechanisms. Get well gaf.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
anything worth buying in the weeklong deals?

alternatively, are there any good deals out there using tf2 keys?

Mordeccai

Steam gaf, I'm having graphical issues with State of Decay. Artifacts, trees stretch out, guns and sticks are abnormally long, stuff pops in and out.

My card isn't on the fritz, and I just updated my drivers. What gives, is it just poorly optimized for AMD cards? I have a 7870

Grief.exe

Steam gaf, I'm having graphical issues with State of Decay. Artifacts, trees stretch out, guns and sticks are abnormally long, stuff pops in and out.

My card isn't on the fritz, and I just updated my drivers. What gives, is it just poorly optimized for AMD cards? I have a 7870

I'm not very knowledgeable on this matter, but people have been discussing similar issues with the latest AMD drivers.

Try a driver rollback.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What could it be???

ModBot said:
Instructions for jshackles:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (jshackles, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Vd1j7n6.png

Mystery Game -- MB-EE357D0396073A81 - Taken by CheesecakeRecipe

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of BorntoPlay, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (BorntoPlay, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Demonicon The Dark Eye -- MB-211048F919112375 - Taken by hitoshi. 40 entrants total.

t1407858480z1.png

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

No, I get weird performance on Nvidia too. Very uneven framerate no matter what settings I use.

The best AC game I played was 2 and it still felt like a chore. Still waiting for a really unique setting since the apparently botched the American setting in 3.

I am biased towards New England, but I loved 3's setting, particularly the frontier. Running through the trees was great.

Levyne

Banned
Some of the Metro Redux talk got me into trying out some of the Last Light DLC. Here's some very short impressions. At least give an idea of what's worth playing. All of these come with the Season Pass for the base game if you don't want the Redux edition.

header_292x136.jpg

• The Tower Pack is probably the beefiest bit of DLC on its own. Even on easy mode, I found myself very challenged. Obviously, very story light: your character is put into a simulator to test ability and weapons on waves on enemy units. Initially, the enemy waves will only come from a few spawn points, but eventually enemies will open up more (you try to prevent this) so not only do the waves get harder, but the spawns get more relentless. I didn't complete the pack since it feels like it would require a decent investment of time to learn the maps and acquire the skill needed to come out on top. Definitely could see people getting some time out of it, but it just wasn't for me.
    3AQmK.gif
header_292x136.jpg

The Faction Pack includes Heavy Squad, Kshatriya, and Sniper Team. Generally, this was my favorite pack.

• Heavy Squad: Kind of disappointing. You are basically given one position to defend from a few waves of enemies, and you are given a handful of weapons to use. The scope of the DLC is exceedingly limited, basically saying any more spoils the dlc. If you are good at the game, you'll finish in 10 minutes or maybe even less. Pretty much throwaway.
    LLShC.gif

• Kshatriya: This is my favorite add on, period. The game basically gives you a home base and you are able to stock up on equipment and go out from there into an infested (mostly) surface area in order to retrieve 30 artifacts. You can only carry 5, meaning you'll be required to return to the base, in which you are rewarded with bullets (money) in order to get better weapons and gear and travel out further. You can only save at the base, meaning each excursion further out to the surface has higher stakes. It's really quite tense and finally being able to open that door to drop off artifacts brought a sense of relief not unlike finding a Bonfire / returning to the Nexus in Souls games, even if the scope is more limited. This could easy take you 2 hours or more if you are a completionist with acquiring artifacts.
    3AQmK.gif
    3AQmK.gif

• Sniper Team: Also fairly fun. This is a level that you're required to play stealthily. As in, if you get caught you don't get to go guns blazing the rest of the way, you have to restart. It has some design manufacturing where the game makes it obvious who you should kill in what order in order to not be seen, which comes across as a little game-y, but I think the end package is varied and meaty enough to be worth a playthrough.
    3AQmK.gif

header_292x136.jpg

The Developer Pack comes with the Spider Lair, along with a museum and arena and shooting gallery. Those parts are self-explanatory, mostly diversionary.

• The Spider Lair is creeeeepy. It's definitely a meaty little level, of course, filled with spiders. You start off with only a lighter and eventually get some weapons, which coincides of course with more spiders to deal with. There's nothing super exceptional about the level itself but it's definitely a good chance to give you the willies, and it lasted me about 40 minutes, which isn't terrible.
    3AQmK.gif

header_292x136.jpg

The Chronicles Pack comes with character focused (and titled) missions called Khan, Pavel, and Anna. I found it mostly disappointing.

• Pavel: This level is most like the base game. You start out with limited weaponry and are encouraged to try to stealthily sneak past enemy units, well, at least until you're better equipped in order to be more straightforward and bold. I also found it somewhat difficult, since ammo is rather scarce (seemingly moreso than the base game) so you can't be wasteful. One thing I like is that the level is not very scripted, and it allows you more or less to complete how your want. The story contribution is minimal, but the length was alright, it took me probably just over an hour to complete.
    3AQmK.gif

• Khan: This level is more "on-rails" than Pavel, with a lot of following a character around and minor set-piece sort of interactions. It's a little boring, to be honest. At one point you have to fend off a few enemy waves and at the end of the dlc most of the enemies can be skipped as you figure out what to do (after dying a few times, in my case). Eh.
    LLShC.gif

• Anna: A short sniper section followed by a tiny little standard level. I completed this in 10 minutes and the end of this really snuck up on me. I guess you can play it since it's hilariously short?
    LLShC.gif
    LLShC.gif

Milamber

Man, waking up and going to work today, turning on the radio in traffic and hearing about the death of Robin Williams is bumming me the heck out for the rest of the day.

Jawmuncher

No, I get weird performance on Nvidia too. Very uneven framerate no matter what settings I use.

I am biased towards New England, but I loved 3's setting, particularly the frontier. Running through the trees was great.

I have it sitting on my HDD since i had bought it when it was 5 on amazon.
The talk of the long tutorial has pushed me from jumping in yet but I know i'll do so at some point.

Some of the Metro Redux talk got me into trying out some of the Last Light DLC. Here's some very short impressions. At least give an idea of what's worth playing. All of these come with the Season Pass for the base game if you don't want the Redux edition.

header_292x136.jpg

• The Tower Pack is probably the beefiest bit of DLC on its own. Even on easy mode, I found myself very challenged. Obviously, very story light: your character is put into a simulator to test ability and weapons on waves on enemy units. Initially, the enemy waves will only come from a few spawn points, but eventually enemies will open up more (you try to prevent this) so not only do the waves get harder, but the spawns get more relentless. I didn't complete the pack since it feels like it would require a decent investment of time to learn the maps and acquire the skill needed to come out on top. Definitely could see people getting some time out of it, but it just wasn't for me.
    3AQmK.gif
header_292x136.jpg

The Faction Pack includes Heavy Squad, Kshatriya, and Sniper Team. Generally, this was my favorite pack.

• Heavy Squad: Kind of disappointing. You are basically given one position to defend from a few waves of enemies, and you are given a handful of weapons to use. The scope of the DLC is exceedingly limited, basically saying any more spoils the dlc. If you are good at the game, you'll finish in 10 minutes or maybe even less. Pretty much throwaway.
    LLShC.gif

• Kshatriya: This is my favorite add on, period. The game basically gives you a home base and you are able to stock up on equipment and go out from there into an infested (mostly) surface area in order to retrieve 30 artifacts. You can only carry 5, meaning you'll be required to return to the base, in which you are rewarded with bullets (money) in order to get better weapons and gear and travel out further. You can only save at the base, meaning each excursion further out to the surface has higher stakes. It's really quite tense and finally being able to open that door to drop off artifacts brought a sense of relief not unlike finding a Bonfire / returning to the Nexus in Souls games, even if the scope is more limited. This could easy take you 2 hours or more if you are a completionist with acquiring artifacts.
    3AQmK.gif
    3AQmK.gif

• Sniper Team: Also fairly fun. This is a level that you're required to play stealthily. As in, if you get caught you don't get to go guns blazing the rest of the way, you have to restart. It has some design manufacturing where the game makes it obvious who you should kill in what order in order to not be seen, which comes across as a little game-y, but I think the end package is varied and meaty enough to be worth a playthrough.
    3AQmK.gif

header_292x136.jpg

The Developer Pack comes with the Spider Lair, along with a museum and arena and shooting gallery. Those parts are self-explanatory, mostly diversionary.

• The Spider Lair is creeeeepy. It's definitely a meaty little level, of course, filled with spiders. You start off with only a lighter and eventually get some weapons, which coincides of course with more spiders to deal with. There's nothing super exceptional about the level itself but it's definitely a good chance to give you the willies, and it lasted me about 40 minutes, which isn't terrible.
    3AQmK.gif

header_292x136.jpg

The Chronicles Pack comes with character focused (and titled) missions called Khan, Pavel, and Anna. I found it mostly disappointing.

• Pavel: This level is most like the base game. You start out with limited weaponry and are encouraged to try to stealthily sneak past enemy units, well, at least until you're better equipped in order to be more straightforward and bold. I also found it somewhat difficult, since ammo is rather scarce (seemingly moreso than the base game) so you can't be wasteful. One thing I like is that the level is not very scripted, and it allows you more or less to complete how your want. The story contribution is minimal, but the length was alright, it took me probably just over an hour to complete.
    3AQmK.gif

• Khan: This level is more "on-rails" than Pavel, with a lot of following a character around and minor set-piece sort of interactions. It's a little boring, to be honest. At one point you have to fend off a few enemy waves and at the end of the dlc most of the enemies can be skipped as you figure out what to do (after dying a few times, in my case). Eh.
    LLShC.gif

• Anna: A short sniper section followed by a tiny little standard level. I completed this in 10 minutes and the end of this really snuck up on me. I guess you can play it since it's hilariously short?
    LLShC.gif
    LLShC.gif

Thanks for this. Bought the Redux pack with both so this will help me know what i'm getting into for the DLC. Glad they seem to be their own stories really. Thus making it something I can come back to rather than really needing to play right after I beat it. Pavel has me the most interested.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Thanks for this. Bought the Redux pack with both so this will help me know what i'm getting into for the DLC. Glad they seem to be their own stories really. Thus making it something I can come back to rather than really needing to play right after I beat it. Pavel has me the most interested.

The Pavel level is the single best piece of Metro content TBH. The level has tons of shortcuts that are really gratifying to discover and the use of level area is really clever. I soaked it in one like 2 hour session and loved it.

Mordeccai

I'm not very knowledgeable on this matter, but people have been discussing similar issues with the latest AMD drivers.

Try a driver rollback.

I'll give it a shot, thanks.

It's a shame, game looks pretty cool and I was wanting to co op it with a friend. I'm a bit disappointed in how it looks at ultra tbh. Can't seem to find any settings to stabilize it either :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom