• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarcasm

For any of you that have played Fallout: New Vegas..I started it with the jsawyer mod.

How are these stats:

• STR: 6
  • PER: 5
  • END: 7
  • CHR: 1
  • INT: 8
  • AGL: 6
  • LCK:7

Also I started hardcore mode, any suggestions?

zkylon

zkylewd
Counterpoint: Christine Love.
(Also, I wouldn't really call Fish a punk developer. Suda51 or Tomonobu Itagaki fit the bill way better).
i wouldn't say cl is a punk dev either tho she has the crazy hair and crap

but who cares

cl is great

phil fish is great when he's just making games and not talking

and many more

For any of you that have played Fallout: New Vegas..I started it with the jsawyer mod.

How are these stats:

1 charisma doesn't work nearly as well in new vegas as it does in fo3 tho it's still doable (tho why gimp dialogue choices if they're the best thing about the game)

i think 7 luck is pushing it and you might want to put more points into agility or perception or strength.

i generally don't try to shit on a stat and go for something more rounded like say:

s - 4
p - 7
e - 4
c - 6
i - 8
a - 7
l - 4

you might want to get more points into str for the carry weight but i don't care too much for picking up everything i see so i usually go light into str

hardcore mode is alright, basically stimpaks aren't easy mode and there's some maintenance work with like eating/drinking but nothing too serious. i try to make rules for my characters like "this guy doesn't like to drink dirty water" or "this gal doesn't like going out at night" or whatever and just see how that works but you can take it easy and just go about filling them meters when needed

Indie Gala Linky thingies.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Dead Hungry Diner -- MB-3C097360BE0A755D - Taken by maty
Famaze -- MB-908881CD47C556D3 - Taken by rainking187
Aeon Command -- MB-622D0A123BE5181D - Taken by redlacs

saunderez

How are these stats:

1 CHR? Really? Shit talking is my favourite way to play the game I'd have CHR at least 6 or 7. I'd probably drop LCK way down and put most of those points into CHR.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?

How are these stats:

The writing in New Vegas is pretty good, it'd be a shame to miss out on it by gimping the social stats. AGL is pretty critical for any sort of pick pocketing or sneaking, which can be pretty fun. All things considered, I usually gimp endurance or strength, since those can be augmented with cyber enhancements and drugs fairly easily.

You'll probably want to base your stats around which perks sound like the most fun to you, and whether you'll be strictly melee, ballistics, or energy or a jack of all trades. I think going melee/unarmed is viable, but typically a lot harder to pull off than going with ranged weapons. It's very hard to punch a deathclaw into submission, no matter how much power armor you have on and how many drugs you're on. But then, I've never done pure close quarters perks either. Hmm.

Hugstable

Banned
Ys seems pretty neat. So much unskippable dialogue though, it moves too slowly for my liking.

Most yS games start like that, it goes away pretty much once you start hitting dungeons. There are still a few splotches of it here and there, but it's mostly awesome action! Which are you playing?

def sim

1 CHR? Really? Shit talking is my favourite way to play the game I'd have CHR at least 6 or 7. I'd probably drop LCK way down and put most of those points into CHR.

I remember charisma not really being worth much if you only want people to listen to you. I think it's just a role playing stat.

So, it's likely first to be ignored when min/maxing.

saunderez

it's a fo3 strategy

in fo3 charisma doesn't do anything cos fo3 is a terrible game :>

I still ran high CHR in Fallout 3. Hell I've run high CHR in every Fallout game. High CHR and high INT is hands down my favourite way to play Fallout. Every time I try a different build I have less fun. When Fallout 4 comes out I don't think I'll even bother.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
If you are a fan of Diner Dash, you may find this game amusing:

The key should be good. If not, I do apologize, please let me know and I will see if I can rectify the situation.

ModBot said:
Instructions for everyone:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Casimir, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dead Hungry Diner -- MB-5B99378DD4677126 - Taken by NamikazeBurst. 1 entrants total.

t1407829563z1.png

zkylon

zkylewd
The writing in New Vegas is pretty good, it'd be a shame to miss out on it by gimping the social stats. AGL is pretty critical for any sort of pick pocketing or sneaking, which can be pretty fun. All things considered, I usually gimp endurance or strength, since those can be augmented with cyber enhancements and drugs fairly easily.

You'll probably want to base your stats around which perks sound like the most fun to you, and whether you'll be strictly melee, ballistics, or energy or a jack of all trades. I think going melee/unarmed is viable, but typically a lot harder to pull off than going with ranged weapons. It's very hard to punch a deathclaw into submission, no matter how much power armor you have on and how many drugs you're on. But then, I've never done pure close quarters perks either. Hmm.
you can power fist deathclaws to death if you're pretty beefy, it's just not much fun compared to firearms

I remember charisma not really being worth much if you only want people to listen to you. I think it's just a role playing stat.

So, it's likely first to be ignored when min/maxing.
it does affect barter and speech which are a lot more important in new vegas and it's used for some checks and improves your teammates but yeah it's not a very good stat in new vegas either

but it's nice to start with decent numbers on barter and speech

I still ran high CHR in Fallout 3. Hell I've run high CHR in every Fallout game. High CHR and high INT is hands down my favourite way to play Fallout. Every time I try a different build I have less fun. When Fallout 4 comes out I don't think I'll even bother.
i usually do that for my serious runs in which i try to see as many things as possible

i have start over every fallout except for three 10+ times easily so i've gotten around trying a lot of different stuff and believe me it's still fun, specially on fallout 2

i would so much love if someone modded out the temple from fallout 2 and just started you straight into klamath

i mean i guess i could just go there and char editor my character but ehhh

Cerity

I've been playing pixel piracy a fair bit of late. Enjoyable game, though still riddled in balances and bugs. Still plenty of room for improvement and even though it has been "officially" released, it still feels like it's in EA.

def sim

40 games left here :/

Yikes! Just think of the money.

it does affect barter and speech which are a lot more important in new vegas and it's used for some checks and improves your teammates but yeah it's not a very good stat in new vegas either

but it's nice to start with decent numbers on barter and speech

Ah interesting. I went with the old FO3 strategy since I don't really barter, but successful speech checks would have been nice in the early game, yeah.

zkylon

zkylewd
Ah interesting. I went with the old FO3 strategy since I don't really barter, but successful speech checks would have been nice in the early game, yeah.

fallout in general is not a game about min maxing or builds or whatever

it's about making a character you enjoy

you usually want to make a jack of all trades so you can take as much of the game as you can and that'll be fine for most people that won't play it more than once

for me i just like making characters with strenghts/weaknesses and roleplay em a bit, give them phobias, strong morals, have them always wear glasses or get cold easily or have terrible luck or be addicted to hats and whatnot

Ozium

Does anyone have any thoughts on Richard and Alice? It looks interesting..

Also anyone play Sparkle 2 Evo? it looks like fl0w... but I'm unsure about it even at 96c or whatever it is...

def sim

fallout in general is not a game about min maxing or builds or whatever

it's about making a character you enjoy

you usually want to make a jack of all trades so you can take as much of the game as you can and that'll be fine for most people that won't play it more than once

for me i just like making characters with strenghts/weaknesses and roleplay em a bit, give them phobias, strong morals, have them always wear glasses or get cold easily or have terrible luck or be addicted to hats and whatnot

Coincidentally, the character I enjoy is the broken kind. ;)

You're right, though. In the Bethesda Fallout games, your character will become strong enough to deal with anything fairly early on so min/maxing isn't necessary. Even in hardcore mode, there are perks that make thirst or hunger irrelevant. Maybe it's just a habit for me to go with the biggest possible number or whatevs.

saunderez

i would so much love if someone modded out the temple from fallout 2 and just started you straight into klamath

The start of Fallout 2 turns me off playing it again every time I try. I know theres awesome pretty much immediately after getting out of that shithole but I just can't do it. Whoever thought the trials were a good way to start the game needs their head checked.

Deitus

Also anyone play Sparkle 2 Evo? it looks like fl0w... but I'm unsure about it even at 96c or whatever it is...

I played a bit of the Android version. It's basically flOw, as in someone made a mobile clone of flOw that later got ported to PC. It is pretty though.

Edit: I guess the PC version came first. Either way it's pretty shameless.

xeris

Does anyone have any thoughts on Richard and Alice? It looks interesting..

I posted a review of Richard and Alice on Steam. Basically, I found it resoundingly meh. They didn't do enough with the premise and I saw one of the two major "twists"coming from the beginning and the other one made no sense to me. My biggest problem was
I kept thinking of things they never addressed that kept taking me out of the game. Like if everything on the outside is so broken down, who the hell arrested Alice for murder. Especially that one since no one saw it or would even know.

In short, the game had an interesting idea that it did nothing with. I never felt connected with any of the characters. Wasn't the worst game I've played this year, but I'd suggest getting it on sale and then only for the cards.

Ozium

I played a bit of the Android version. It's basically flOw, as in someone made a mobile clone of flOw that later got ported to PC. It is pretty though.

Edit: I guess the PC version came first. Either way it's pretty shameless.

I posted a review of Richard and Alice on Steam. Basically, I found it resoundingly meh. They didn't do enough with the premise and I saw one of the two major "twists" I saw coming from the beginning and the other one made no sense to me. My biggest problem was
I kept thinking of things they never addressed that kept taking me out of the game. Like if everything on the outside is so broken down, who the hell arrested Alice for murder. Especially that one since no one saw it or would even know.

In short, the game had an interesting idea that it did nothing with. I never felt connected with any of the characters. Wasn't the worst game I've played this year, but I'd suggest getting it on sale and the only for the cards.

Thanks I might hold off on those and just go ahead and pick up La Mulana

zkylon

zkylewd
you know for all i love tits i really wish it had more of a central plot rather than this pokemon-like thing of going from town to town doing random stuff

i mean i enjoy it for a while but i may just give up on the game soon if it doesn't prove more interesting than just hinting at some joshua x estelle loving

Coincidentally, the character I enjoy is the broken kind. ;)

You're right, though. In the Bethesda Fallout games, your character will become strong enough to deal with anything fairly early on so min/maxing isn't necessary. Even in hardcore mode, there are perks that make thirst or hunger irrelevant. Maybe it's just a habit for me to go with the biggest possible number or whatevs.
well even in the old fallout games you could make pretty rounded characters without much problems except maybe early on.

The start of Fallout 2 turns me off playing it again every time I try. I know theres awesome pretty much immediately after getting out of that shithole but I just can't do it. Whoever thought the trials were a good way to start the game needs their head checked.
yeah, making the temple optional is like the one thing i'd change about fallout 2

still my favorite game ever tho

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I thought this was a new game? Old items and bosses makes it less interesting to me.

It's a remake of the game, but with huge amounts of added content, characters, items, enemies, bosses etc, as well as new layouts to the rooms (ie now there can be rooms longer than one screen).

It's basically going to be a new game that contains all the items and bosses from the old game. Definitely worth picking up if you enjoyed the original.

Teppic

It's a remake of the game, but with huge amounts of added content, characters, items, enemies, bosses etc, as well as new layouts to the rooms (ie now there can be rooms longer than one screen).

It's basically going to be a new game that contains all the items and bosses from the old game. Definitely worth picking up if you enjoyed the original.
Sounds more like an expansion pack than a new game. I'm interested, but I won't buy it at full price, which I would have done if everything was new.

aku:jiki

Not sure if anyone linked this here already but here's first look of BoI: Rebirth in action and it looks good.
That new secret room is pretty interesting!. Looks to have the same content as a shop, except for free! That sounds like a sweet new reason to look for secret rooms...

Also I wanted to teleport into the video so I could grab that 1 heart devil item we've never seen before, the ring. I must know what it does!

You float around and eat stuff to get bigger. It's kind of pointless but also kind of relaxing and pretty. Short and easy to complete.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Sounds more like an expansion pack than a new game. I'm interested, but I won't buy it at full price, which I would have done if everything was new.

I understand what you're saying, but expansion pack suggests there's a small amount of new content, from what I've heard I think this will have essentially double the content of BOI & WOTL, so it's got the same amount of stuff as a sequel would have. It's like getting a BOI 1 & 2 mixed into one game. There's definitely more to it than just an update, especially with all the improvements that are coming from it no longer being coded in Flash.

You're right to hold back though if you're not sure, although I'll point out that Edmund's said there'll be a significant discount for people who own the original BOI, so you might not have to pay full price anyway.

Darkroronoa

Has anyone tried and played Astebreed with a low end PC with a gpu like an HD 4000, A6-5400k or something like an GT 630m? Is the performance acceptable?

Giveaway time!
ModBot said:
Instructions for General_Frags:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (General_Frags, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Orcs Must Die! 2: Family Ties -- MB-37EA921DA99483AD - Taken by swx. 1 entrants total.
Orcs Must Die! 2 -- MB-B884886927219B67 - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN. 3 entrants total.
Orcs Must Die! 2: Are We There Yeti? -- MB-153BA8F71BA7F69A - Taken by Vastag. 4 entrants total.
Orcs Must Die! 2: Fire and Water -- MB-0F032E6F1144A1F5
Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising -- MB-A6D15CD0C9796F6D - Taken by Casimir. 1 entrants total.

t1407845763z1.png

aku:jiki

I understand what you're saying, but expansion pack suggests there's a small amount of new content, from what I've heard I think this will have essentially double the content of BOI & WOTL, so it's got the same amount of stuff as a sequel would have. It's like getting a BOI 1 & 2 mixed into one game. There's definitely more to it than just an update, especially with all the improvements that are coming from it no longer being coded in Flash.
Most importantly, item synergy and what ends up being your final inventory as you finish or die is a very big deal in Isaac, and offering 300 items means more potential synergies, more depth and more unique runs where items X and Y will work differently than they did on that run where you also had Z. In short, offering all the items from the original and then doubling that number is the very best way to offer a large amount of content and hours of play time.

Teppic seems to be operating on some strange principle of refusing "re-used content" even though the game technically doesn't have any; all assets are completely re-drawn and re-programmed from scratch. They're included as a courtesy, not laziness.

def sim

well even in the old fallout games you could make pretty rounded characters without much problems except maybe early on.

Man, I should try this rounded character thing sometime.

Has anyone tried and played Astebreed with a low end PC with a gpu like an HD 4000, A6-5400k or something like an GT 630m? Is the performance acceptable?

The giantbomb quick look of this was played on a non-gaming laptop, so it was probably running on an intel hd igpu. It seemed to run well enough.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
heh

I'm giving away a Wii U game to a bunch of people not familiar with modbot.

I've already received three PMs with MB- codes :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom