• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

MayMay

Banned
https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/499200247416242176
cd79487273dc5ee9916594c7b54804cd.png

But Amazon says it too.. So weird.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
So bandai Namco us publishing on steam and in the US with Square Enix publishing in the UK on consoles I guess. Weird situation there.

They seem to be self publishing it on Steam.

Also, from a brief search did on Steamdb. The game seems to be region free. If that's the case I'll probably snatch a cheap RU copy

Edit: Hmm, actually not. According to this the game might actually be region locked. Can anyone confirm?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Confusion about a "Published By" label makes sense, because it's a non-traditional distribution agreement. See also: Dance Central. It's clearly a timed exclusive, and actually it might make sense for both parties. Consider an arrangement where RotTR has a $50 million dev budget and a $25 million ad spend, and MS covers the entire ad spend and gives them a $10/unit break on license, pressing, and distribution fees. At one million units sold on Xbox One (this is very conservative), that covers 46% of the combined dev and ad budget for the game. That's all napkin math of course, but it's not hard to imagine an arrangement that's beneficial to SE. Then if the exclusivity period is fairly low, as long as it costs them less than a few million units on PS4, they win. Furthermore, I think the idea with this game is for it to be a long-seller over the life of the generation, so they're probably gambling that the upfront sales, while critical for the company's success, won't represent the bulk of the game's sales long-term.

Jawmuncher

Also, from a brief search did on Steamdb. The game seems to be region free. If that's the case I'll probably snatch a cheap RU copy

Ahh ok. Though it doesn't seem to be up yet on the Russian store. Just thought it was Bandai Namco since the trailer on the page still had their logo.

Fox318

Tomb Raider II will be a Games For Windows: Live exclusive along with Half-Life 3 and Spore 2: The demo edition from like 1978

GFWLIVE IS BACK BABY

Zeknurn

Is anyone else having issues trying to sign up for the Settlers beta? I get a blank page after signing in and stuck on "http://www.thesettlers.com/en-GB/migrate-your-account"

Damn Uplay.

SSPssp

I know this is late, but I'm really annoyed about the Tomb Raider announcement. I know I should hold out for PC, but I know I can't wait and I'm going to have to buy it twice.

I hope the XBONE CE or Limited Edition doesn't sell and I can get it for cheap. That might be the only good thing about this.

Edit: Hmm, actually not. According to this the game might actually be region locked. Can anyone confirm?

40 minutes ago Added AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting – false

Russian bear not saving us this time...

Those numbers a from a site that is banned on here. Which estimates retail sales only.

Figures. I was sure it had sold way more than that.

Saty

Is there any chance for more Microsoft Gamescom announcements to happen? Where is exactly their 'newly commitment to PC' at display here?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Yeah, looks like there's only one pre-order sub and it's locked by way of ACRTAG.

Jawmuncher

Is there any chance for more Microsoft Gamescom announcements to happen? Where is exactly their 'newly commitment to PC' at display here?

Probably just a false rumor as usual .
Though there could be small announcements still. Like a wireless dongle for X1

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
40 minutes ago Added AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting – false

Russian bear not saving us this time...

Yeah, didn't look at the most recent app when I checked the first time and got excited for a second.

Still, I don't think that I'll be missing much. All of CI's games were pretty terrible

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of BorntoPlay, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (BorntoPlay, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Demonicon The Dark Eye -- MB-211048F919112375 - Taken by hitoshi. 40 entrants total.

t1407858480z1.png

I know this is late, but I'm really annoyed about the Tomb Raider announcement. I know I should hold out for PC, but I know I can't wait and I'm going to have to buy it twice.

I hope the XBONE CE or Limited Edition doesn't sell and I can get it for cheap. That might be the only good thing about this.

If you buy it twice, then you're buying my copy :). Stuff like that always kills my interest in a title. Luckily that shit doesn't affect Temple of Osiris.

Knurek

What Gallagher seems to be saying is that Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics think the way you put Tomb Raider “on top of action adventure gaming” is to prevent the majority of its fan base from playing it.

Gaming press be salty about TR as well.

Phinor

Yeah, looks like there's only one pre-order sub and it's locked by way of ACRTAG.

Does this (unless something changes) definitely mean that the only way to buy the game is to simply.. buy it yourself? If that's the case, I might just move this from October 2014 to Summer 2015 in my personal release calendar.

Divius

Anyone currently in here who might be able to help me set up Risk of Rain multiplayer?

I've done all the things I am supposed to but it just won't work.

wilflare

yo SteamGAF
lol 11PM here and I just got home from school
and it's only the first week of school

i'll catch the Sony Gamescom and then sleep :/

bleh

Porcupine

The shitstorm that has already started because of Tomb Raider is insane. Will be fun to watch.
(But I'm hoping it's a timed exclusive, too :D )

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does this (unless something changes) definitely mean that the only way to buy the game is to simply.. buy it yourself? If that's the case, I might just move this from October 2014 to Summer 2015 in my personal release calendar.

Yeah, ACRTAG region-locks unused/new gift copies sourced from South American, Eastern European and South-east Asian users.

SSPssp

If you buy it twice, then you're buying my copy :). Stuff like that always kills my interest in a title. Luckily that shit doesn't affect Temple of Osiris.

Don't do this.
You're playing right into their hands, and then you're stuck with an expensive paperweight. =p

Yeah, I know its not smart but I can't be the only one who's going to do this! I think any fan of the series who also has an XBONE is going to be really tempted.

And another fallacy: I didn't get into PC gaming until this April so I'm looking to "justify" my XBONE purchase which I now regret.

Edit: If they actually release it for PC in January 2016 (only 3 month wait) I think I can hold out.

Confusion about a "Published By" label makes sense, because it's a non-traditional distribution agreement. See also: Dance Central. It's clearly a timed exclusive, and actually it might make sense for both parties. Consider an arrangement where RotTR has a $50 million dev budget and a $25 million ad spend, and MS covers the entire ad spend and gives them a $10/unit break on license, pressing, and distribution fees. At one million units sold on Xbox One (this is very conservative), that covers 46% of the combined dev and ad budget for the game. That's all napkin math of course, but it's not hard to imagine an arrangement that's beneficial to SE. Then if the exclusivity period is fairly low, as long as it costs them less than a few million units on PS4, they win. Furthermore, I think the idea with this game is for it to be a long-seller over the life of the generation, so they're probably gambling that the upfront sales, while critical for the company's success, won't represent the bulk of the game's sales long-term.

I remember Tomb Raider, or hell, any Square-Enix game, dropping pretty fast in price especially on PC but also consoles, at least in Europe. I don't see why they would expect things to change.

It pretty much does. And yea, this game always felt like a Steam sale purchase to me. Especially after they decided to release it bang in the middle of the busiest season for games.

Thank you for this. Will buy it!

You should consider buying the complete collection from a trader. It would only cost you a dollar or so more and you'd get all 3 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom