• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momentary

Banned
I had a dream a few nights ago that Cyberpunk was set as a XB1 exclusive. Random as hell. I hope that doesn't come true. Tomb Raider being exclusive doesn't bother me. I enjoyed the last one, but not enough to warrant the purchase of low end gaming hardware.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Shame that I won't be playing the new Tomb Raider game. Like, ever apparently.

No idea what you mean but the controllers use their own wifi methods separate from the normal wifi and the X1 a completely new one anyway so I don't see how that would affect anything even if the cracked thing was the adapters fault.

The Xbox 360 wireless protocol was cracked during the 360s lifetime, which allowed things like the cheap, unlicensed wireless PC adapters. I was wondering if the original adapter by MS was used to reverse-engineer it. If so, then MS might avoid a situation like that again by not releasing an adapter for the Xbox One pad at all.

Of course, if I'm wrong about this, then please correct me.

Sendou

Okay maybe people were getting salty too early:

Iiab.png

It's kind of funny to see people losing their shit over this Tomb Raider news but they really shouldn't. It'll come to the other platforms after a while.

Turfster

I get being annoyed over moneyhatted exclusives, but I'm honestly surprised that people care this much over the Tomb Raider reboot.
It's kind of funny to see people losing their shit over this Tomb Raider news but they really shouldn't. It'll come to the other platforms after a while.

Slippery slope and all that.
Now is the time to start a shitstorm, not when it's happening to more multiplatform franchises.

derExperte

The Xbox 360 wireless protocol was cracked during the 360s lifetime, which allowed things like the cheap, unlicensed wireless PC adapters. I was wondering if the original adapter by MS was used to reverse-engineer it. If so, then MS might avoid a situation like that again by not releasing an adapter for the Xbox One pad at all.

Of course, if I'm wrong about this, then please correct me.

But what would they gain? Selling fewer adapters than possible due to cheap knock-offs is better than selling none at all.

Volimar

Goat Simulator is coming to Xbox One. What the fuck? That's PC exclusive!

don't care, just made me lol on my twitter feed.

Sendou

but if it's really published by MS, why would they let go of exclusivity?
is it?

Well it depends on the kind of deal they made with SE.

Tomb Raider (2013) just was a big game. Like really big even if SE went onto say "oh yeah it didn't quite live up to our expectations". More so it sold better on PlayStation platforms. The kind of absolute exclusive deal would be very expensive. I think what we have here is timed exclusivity & agreement to be quiet about other possibilities until certain date (2016 whenever).

maneil99

Quantum break looked pretty good visually, but that's about all I saw gamewise that looked good, the rest of the features/games announced seem promising.

Athleon

They are showing some more Ori right now in the channel. The gameplay seems pretty fluid and the mechanics are pretty multidimensional. Definitely interested in this game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
"The Misadventures of PB Winterbottom developer The Odd Gentlemen are producing the new King’s Quest game. It is a fully “reimagined” take on the original series, according to Activision. The publisher promises that The Odd Gentlemen comprises a number of fans of the King’s Quest franchise. The studio intends to capture the same combination of difficult puzzles and engaging narrative as the originals. The adventure title is due out in 2015 for unspecified platforms — although the company notes it will release its software on Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, and Steam."

"While we wait for King’s Quest, we can all shoot some shapes in Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions. Studio Lucid Games, which has produced a small number of mobile games, is taking on the latest entry in the popular shooter franchise. Dimensions will feature a single-player campaign with 50 different challenges in addition to 10 different battle modes. The game is due out this holiday, but Sierra once again didn’t mention any release platforms by name — but it is coming to “more platforms than ever before.”"

What Sierra is now: "Sierra and Activision announced new plans for the beloved label today, which include launching a new King’s Quest adventure game as well as a new entry in the Geometry Wars dual-stick shooter series. While the company retains the Sierra name and is publishing King’s Quest, the Activision subsidiary will not focus only on re-releasing Sierra classics. The plan is to have it do that while also forging deals with “edgy” independent developers working on innovative new projects. This should bring some further diversification to a portfolio of software that includes Call of Duty, Skylanders, and World of Warcraft."

The thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=872909
That's actually really cool news. Hopefully they put some effort into the re-releases like they are the new games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
but if it's really published by MS, why would they let go of exclusivity?
is it?

Microsoft acting as publisher doesn't necessarily mean it owns the game:

Microsoft doesn't own either game and it never did.

Type of Work: Computer File
Registration Number / Date: PA0001900476 / 2013-12-11
Application Title: DEAD RISING 3.
Title: DEAD RISING 3.
Description: DVD-ROM.
Notes: Videogame, X-Box One
Copyright Claimant: CAPCOM CO., LTD. Address: 3-1-3, Uchihiranomachi, Chuo-ku, Osaka, 540-0037, Japan.
Date of Creation: 2013
Date of Publication: 2013-11-22
Nation of First Publication: United States
Authorship on Application: CAPCOM CO., LTD., employer for hire; Domicile: Japan; Citizenship: Japan. Authorship: computer program and audio visual works.
Rights and Permissions: CAPCOM CO., LTD., 3-1-3, Uchihiranomachi, Chuo-ku, Osaka, 540-0037, Japan, property@head.capcom.co.jp
Copyright Note: C.O. correspondence.

Names: CAPCOM CO., LTD.
rysez8o5p.jpg

(Ryse isn't in the USCO's database.)

What's happened is perhaps deceptively simple: Microsoft's publishing contracts expired and distribution rights reverted back to the IP owners, in this case Capcom and Crytek.

And given Keighley's comment, it seems clear to me that Rise is in precisely the same situation as DR3 and Ryse were: Microsoft has publishing rights, but only for a while.

Iiab.png

personally, im not bitter so much as kinda annoyed. I probably wasn't going to get this till it was below $10 anyhow. this just makes the wait for the PC version to get to that price just a bit longer by about 3-6 months.

like i said earlier, i don't blame them for taking that nice temporary-exclusive money. They're literally getting paid to NOT compete directly with UC4 on the PS4 but instead will have a decent marketing push and, eventually, will be out on everything. It's a smart move.

Dragon

Banned
I'm shocked. :p

You go based on the information at hand, when the information changes, you can change your opinion. Saying it's salty to complain that Microsoft paid to have a game exclusive that's predecessor sold the poorest previously on its platform is ridiculous. People should be upset about it, it's a fuck you to the fans who played on PC and Playstation. :)

Guys, you don't seriously believe a big game like Tomb Raider will stay exclusive to Xbone only?

I give it a year until it hits other platforms. Relax guys and wait.

Iiab.png

Definitely sounds like they are being deliberately vague about long-term exclusivity. Get enough pre-orders in, whip the XBOX1 fans into a frenzy etc... then let squeenix let it slip somewhere down the line that it is coming to other platforms later.

I quite liked the last TR, though not enough to pre-order it, or pay full price, let alone buy an XBOX1.

maneil99

personally, im not bitter so much as kinda annoyed. I probably wasn't going to get this till it was below $10 anyhow. this just makes the wait for the PC version to get to that price just a bit longer by about 3-6 months.

like i said earlier, i don't blame them for taking that nice temporary exclusive money. They're literally getting paid to NOT compete directly with UC4 on the PS4 but instead will have a decent marketing push and, eventually, will be out on everything. It's a smart move.

Edit: Nevermind

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You go based on the information at hand, when the information changes, you can change your opinion. Saying it's salty to complain that Microsoft paid to have a game exclusive that's predecessor sold the poorest previously on its platform is ridiculous. People should be upset about it, it's a fuck you to the fans who played on PC and Playstation. :)

I feel that I should clarify that I never once said that people are being "salty" since your post suggests otherwise.

maneil99

PC outsold 360? Source?

When does Sony start?

2 hours 52 minutes

http://news.xbox.com/2014/08/gamescom-xbox-one-gamescom-press-release

“Rise of the Tomb Raider” (Crystal Dynamics, Microsoft Studios)

Microsoft is publishing/funding this.
Did Square Enix straight up sell them TR? I knew they had money issues but this.. this kinda goes to far, right? I hope thats not true.
There'd be still hope for PC, but not for PS then.

Seems like it might be a similar situation to Bayonetta 2

They're publishing it. They don't own the IP. It's the same situation as DR3 and Ryse by the looks of it. Publishing exclusivity to MS at least for now.

Arthea

Microsoft acting as publisher doesn't necessarily mean it owns the game:

And given Keighley's comment, it seems clear to me that Rise is in precisely the same situation as DR3 and Ryse were: Microsoft has publishing rights, but only for a while.

thanks for clearing that up.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

like i said earlier, i don't blame them for taking that nice temporary-exclusive money. They're literally getting paid to NOT compete directly with UC4 on the PS4 but instead will have a decent marketing push and, eventually, will be out on everything. It's a smart move.
Pretty much my thoughts on the matter at the moment. I enjoyed the first game but the sequel wouldn't be a day 1 purchase for me anyway. As long as I'm able to get a discounted PC version down the line, whenever that is, I'm good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom