• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Oh it's easy in general alright. The difficulty curve is just all over the place. A random encounter can kill your party in one turn. That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. Also I had troubles navigating through the game. Also the $50 they asked for it launch was ridiculous.

Most of the SMT games have party wipes like that in them, so I wasn't really phased by it. Navigation could have been handled better, especially since most western players wouldn't really know about the local geography.

I could justify the $50 because of the mini-cd and the artbook/early guide, since that stuff probably cost a pretty penny to print, and the FExSMT credit deal added to it; the digital version should have been $40 at launch though. It's not nearly as disgusting to me as the Persona Q standard edition price. Half a deck of tarot cards being worth $10 extra my ass.

Gaming side always makes me so cynical during conventions...

That's why you should rarely leave Steamgaf and off topic side joke threads.

Ruruja

Gaming side always makes me so cynical during conventions...

Sony conference thread was like a comments section on a livestream earlier. Does my head in with people going, "Nobody cares about FIFA", "YAWN, more SPOATS", "Wow, they've only shown garbage so far" etc.

Sometimes you think NeoGAF is different and more mature than other places, then you realise it's just SteamGAF that is.
when we're not posting alpaca waifus

I found SMT IV pretty mediocre myself. The story isn't that interesting and there's so much filler it's insane. It's also pretty unfair from time to time.

I thought it was interesting. My biggest complaint about SMT IV was that there was no item that vastly increased the fusion accident rate so you could get those heroes that are only accessible through accidents. Mind you, it's not that important when the game doesn't even give you anything for completing the compendium (and what's up with THAT, anyway? Oh excuse me, I thought I was playing SMT!)

Grief.exe

Would be very tempting if it came with a 760, but the 770 is out of my price range and doesn't seem worth the extra $100 anyway.

Might as well wait for the 800 series at this point.

A few rumors are putting up an ~October launch and aggressively priced.

Hugstable

Banned
I thought it was interesting. My biggest complaint about SMT IV was that there was no item that vastly increased the fusion accident rate so you could get those heroes that are only accessible through accidents. Mind you, it's not that important when the game doesn't even give you anything for completing the compendium (and what's up with THAT, anyway? Oh excuse me, I thought I was playing SMT!)

Ehh my biggest complaints where the lack of the style of dungeons I came to love from Nocturne and even Strange Journey. Call me crazy but I always liked the dungeon crawling aspects of the main SMT series with the damage tiles, invisible walls, and teleporting puzzle tiles. I liked IV in it's own way, but yeah I agree that the no endurance stat and "smirk" system tended to pretty much make battles one sided in who it was gonna favor.

Agreed, it's gonna be very soon that we start seeing it, and at that we know the 700 series might start to get a bit cheaper once the 800 comes out. My brother is already planning to buy into the 800 series and sell me his 780 for whatever I can sell my 770 for, so I'm pretty excited to see the 800 series come in myself lol.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Some more screenshots from the v6 store update, for those interested. These are all from the app page:

DLC list and new hover style:
bFnCKeo.png

Purchase area:
BFr6jvg.png

Sys requirements, related, etc:
YpOOXzP.png

I honestly think it's shaping up nicely, but it's pretty overwhelmingly blue. Also after pouring over the CSS myself I think they're definitely taking some cues from Enhanced Steam more or less wholesale. I haven't really decided yet if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Zeknurn

The Portal 2 update is all fine and dandy but we all know that the real big news is the 0 bytes update for Ricochet which causes it to fail when launching. It's obviously an ARG for the impending announcement for Ricochet 2 as the Source 2 showcase title.

Lomax

Yeah, that's what I'm doing. I'm hoping for a $150-$200 card that's roughly equal to the current 770s, but I'm not real optimistic. Video Card development has dropped off a cliff the last few years. Guess I can't complain that my $160 card I bought four and half years ago still does fine, but it's pretty sad when I'm willing to spend some money on an upgrade and nothing is a substantial enough to really be worth it.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
So my Steam library has decreased by one since yesterday. Is there a way to find out what game has disappeared since there is nothing in my account history?

Knurek

Also after pouring over the CSS myself I think they're definitely taking some cues from Enhanced Steam more or less wholesale. I haven't really decided yet if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Well, it's cheaper to nick be inspired by some of the open-sourced code out there than to hire person who wrote said code.

Evrain

Portal 2 got a sneaky 12MB update today, with no patch notes that can only lead to 1 conclusion...
Trying to investigate it, I stumbled upon the "Multiverse" video. Soylent Green made of lobsters had me almost fall from my chair.

Scratch that, I actually fell from it. The guys at Valve are nuts. But what's on one ofthe monitors, during the employee panoramic? HL2?

Sendou

This blog post by SteamDB was updated.

On an unrelated note; two factor authentication
As you might know, SteamGuard is a 2-step authentication method, but this update brings alternative ways of authenticating besides email. The Steam Mobile app will have a built-in authenticator, but you can also use apps such as Google Authenticator (provided your phone has a camera to scan a QR code).

New store tab "Followed Games & Software"
We're unsure how this will work, but it might be related to your wishlist.

I hope this is similiar to what I envisioned here.

Ozium

Kind of weird to see Q Games pimping out some new PS4 Project when they have never finished their pixeljunk series and currently have a game still in Early Access..

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Zarx, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Zarx, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

One Way Heroics -- MB-8C3163406DB77A1B - Taken by The Red Wizard. 1 entrants total.
Avernum: Escape From the Pit -- MB-5C5F2F905F197EFF - Taken by Jadax. 9 entrants total.
Croixleur Sigma -- MB-7B2B43D9982A7BDF - Taken by PandaPandaPanda. 36 entrants total.
Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae -- MB-7DD0E1383F7FCA28 - Taken by Anteater. 26 entrants total.
Ys Origin -- MB-24C531DD75CE4373 - Taken by EdmondD. 25 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for One Way Heroics was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Avernum: Escape From the Pit was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Croixleur Sigma was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Ys Origin was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1407923823z1.png

AHA-Lambda

Uh, why do I have extra TF2 hats in my inventory? I haven't played TF2 in years.

Is it related to my use of idlemaster?

EDIT: Actually, they're all Bioshock Infinite related? o_O

Turfster

Uh, why do I have extra TF2 hats in my inventory? I haven't played TF2 in years.

It's doing weird shit for me.
I've got empty not tradable not marketable tiles in my tf2 items.
Good thing the maintenance is coming up in an hour.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

EDIT: Actually, they're all Bioshock Infinite related? o_O

sometimes you get hats for owning another game on Steam

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So I guess S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky's God Ray bug isn't fixed with mods/complete? I guess I should use DX9? :/

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't really think there's anything wrong with implementing the features ES implemented (most of them are pretty logical, the whole reason ES exists is because it's kind of astonishing that these features aren't in basic Steam). Even in terms of the visual cues, most of them are basically some of the more logical ways of doing stuff. Steam should have had selective highlighting and hiding for a long time. I also don't think they ought to be obligated to hire jshackles because he did it first, just as I don't think they need to hire the SteamDB guys or the backpack.tf guys or anyone else who helped grow Steam by building on it.

On the other hand, I think a lot of these people probably would be pretty decent hires and I think these kinds of products are absolutely something it'd make sense to take into account when doing hiring.

Locust

A bunch of free to play apps were converted to be free on demand. List here: http://pastebin.com/jkNU84SY
If you want the free +73 to your game count, paste the list to your Steam chat or something and get clickin'. Don't have to install, clicking the link should be enough.

I don't really think there's anything wrong with implementing the features ES implemented (most of them are pretty logical, the whole reason ES exists is because it's kind of astonishing that these features aren't in basic Steam). Even in terms of the visual cues, most of them are basically some of the more logical ways of doing stuff. Steam should have had selective highlighting and hiding for a long time. I also don't think they ought to be obligated to hire jshackles because he did it first, just as I don't think they need to hire the SteamDB guys or the backpack.tf guys or anyone else who helped grow Steam by building on it.

On the other hand, I think a lot of these people probably would be pretty decent hires and I think these kinds of products are absolutely something it'd make sense to take into account when doing hiring.
I do agree with you. My kneejerk reaction was to be kinda pissed, just because I know how long jshackles has been working to get hired on. But honestly, yeah, a lot of this stuff does need to just be in Steam natively. Personally, I think I'd be pretty proud that they took my open-source work and implemented it into their product. If anything I'd think that looks even better on a resume or an interview than just making the extension itself does. Not only did I make this, but Valve thought my work was good enough to actually go and add it in themselves. Y'know?

Sendou

We definitely need a GAF curator when the update is live. People sending in recommendations of games they happen to find extremely likeable? I'd be up for that. I trust SteamGAF's opinion.

Ozium

We definitely need a GAF curator when the update is live. People sending in recommendations of games they happen to find extremely likeable? I'd be up for that. I trust SteamGAF's opinion.

But Stump will just put a shit icon near everything that is truly beloved like Bad Rats.

:(

Risk of Rain game finished, we got rekt pretty hard but we managed to beat the game
in drizzle.

Thanks to dark_inferno, corrosivefrost and Mechoshira for the fun game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom