• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also gonna cross post my Tabletop Simulator Game Night post from the other thread, if people don't mind.

What:

When:
t1408066200z2.png

Where:
Server title will be "Cafe Frog". Quote this post to get the server password from the email tag

Why?
Because nowhere else can you find such intense physics-based sandbox multiplayer table flipping action. For real, though, we'll start by playing Bang! and then move on from there depending on how many people we get to join and the group reaction. I hope to make this a weekly/semi-weekly thing, so keep an eye out.

WHO?!
One game only has spots for up to 8 players, including the host, so signups are first come first serve (shoot me a PM and I'll add you to the following list). But if we get enough people and an enthusiastic enough response I can certainly hand off hosting duties to someone else for an additional server. Even if the spots get filled no-shows/cancellations are possible so stick around. I'll be (hopefully) streaming the night's festivities for the enjoyment and scorn of generations to come.

Volimar

Can I take a moment of time with you fine SteamGAFfers and lump some praise on Screencheat? Some of the most fun I've had with an FPS in years. Deviously simple concept but a ton of fun. All players are invisible, so the only way to find and hit your opponent is to watch their corner of the splitscreen and gauge their location via level landmarks and the occasional (and often too late) muzzle flash. It's only in beta atm (for which you can grab 4 free keys by signing up at their website) but even already it shows a ton of potential with just 2 maps, 4 weapons, and 2 game modes. Highly recommend playing it local multiplayer, but there's online matchmaking as well for the more remote crowd. I fully intend to pick this up when it launches next month, and I may even host it as my next games night sometime next week if I get the chance, especially since the beta keys are free right now. Check out some gameplay vids if you're not convinced.

That's a really great concept.

jshackles presents:
463items71xd0.png

You glorious man. Finally at 0 drops remaining - gonna slowly sell my dupes, and donate a chunk back for your amazing work.

MRORANGE

Unreal Tournament 4 Download:

NOTE: PRE ALPHA

Movement/Weapons and basic feel of the game is being tested, and there's constant changes/updates. Don't expect any eye candy and a lot of placeholders.

You can also test other peoples mods/mutators/maps with it I believe.
Nothing is final yet, still in prototype stages.

Download:
https://ut.rushbase.net/raxxy/Builds

What you can't do is edit the values, tweak and create content. For that you need an UE4 license. These are just compiled version the average Joe can run and test.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I saw Jazzpunk at $5 today and bought it instantly. Didn't think twice.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. There have definitely been times where I've held off on a purchase at prices even less than $5. There have been times when I had plenty of unfinished games and was not motivated to buy, or have been hesitant about buying at all without knowing if a game is good. I've even been down on my luck such $5 was a huge deal. And there have been games I've purchased on sale for less than $5 and felt that they were not worth the time or money.

I just find it funny we're talking about a price point less than most sandwiches at a hamburger joint, less than one drink at a ball game or a bar, barely more than a gallon of gas. Once upon a time this conversation would be unthinkable. Twenty years ago I (my mother, really) was paying $69.99 for SNES games. Adjusted for inflation you don't even want to know how much that was.
Surely you realize that $5 isn't the same in USA or in Spain, or in Argentina or in North Korea. Plus there's the fact that $5 wasted, however cheap, is still $5 wasted, so if one can avoid wasting them on a product they won't enjoy, why shouldn't they?

Also games don't satiate your hunger or thirst and they aren't needed to live or travel, so the comparison is beyond awful (as is usually the case with this kind of comparisons). And what does it matter how much games costed in 1994? They aren't asking about buying a game back then, they are asking about doing it right now.

I don't know what's the problem with saving money. If someone asks for a fair assessment of a product, I don't think they should be subject to comments of the kind of "It's cheap, why are you such a cheapass?" People can see it's "cheap" themselves, thank you very much.

Volimar

I thought Black Ice as a hacking term was just something Shadowrun came up with. Wonder if it had real life origins or if the title is a nod to the deckers from Shadowrun.

Turfster

I prefer views on games from more accessible people. ;)

Yeah, I played the demo. I really liked it. Fun but simple rpg shooter gameplay. Good graphics with a very nice art style.
Cool. Need to put it on my list then.
I take it the demo doesn't include the multi, right?

I thought Black Ice as a hacking term was just something Shadowrun came up with. Wonder if it had real life origins or if the title is a nod to the deckers from Shadowrun.

Pretty sure Gibson was first, in Neuromancer

KarmaCow

The countdown timer that Overkill put up over a month ago expires tomorrow and judging from the SteamDB history on Payday 2, it's some sort of DLC. The audio from the site makes it seem like a massive disaster, possibly zombie related but the countdown also coincides with Payday 2's release so it could be something more mundane.

Turfster

lol

I mostly like Jim Sterling, though he can be pretty abrasive. He certainly doesn't hold back when a game or publisher earns his enmity.

I have nothing against him personally.
but I just can't... sit through a 15 minute review of someone else playing a game and talking over it

Shadownet

Banned
excellent :D man there is a lot of reading to do in this game.
Abload or Minus.
I use Imgur. or is that a no no?
Also gonna cross post my Tabletop Simulator Game Night post from the other thread, if people don't mind.
What game will you guys be playing? I'd love to join depends on the game.
Thanks Stallion :D

Tellaerin

The first place I heard "black ice" with regard to computers/cyberspace was in William Gibson's Sprawl stories (Burning Chrome, Neuromancer, etc.) ICE="intrusion countermeasures electronics"; black ICE, specifically, was the kind of defense that could flatline you. IIRC, it spread from there to other cyberpunk literature and games, incl. Shadowrun.

Pretty sure Gibson was first, in Neuromancer

Once again, Turfster's speed is unmatched. I bow to the Air Master.

cHinzo

I've finally beaten Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light after thousands of connection lost problems. Very fun game and I'm so ready for the new one (Temple of Osiris). The railgun was broken as fck though. :d Almost one shots everything.

What game will you guys be playing? I'd love to join depends on the game.

Well just as a start as I mentioned in the post we'll be playing Bang! but if you or anyone else is vehemently opposed or has any other suggestions I'm down for anything, either in vanilla or in the workshop mods catalog.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I use Imgur. or is that a no no?

Imgur has gotten better. After "Pro" accounts were launched it became overzealous with compression on images uploaded from anonymous users/standard accounts so as to encourage subscriptions, but naturally this resulted in people going elsewhere in droves and I believe the threshold has since been raised to 5MB, which, while smaller than Abload/Minus, is fine for 1080p screenshots and (most) gifs. I use Abload myself as Minus has always been dreadfully slow for me for some reason.

Shadownet

Banned
Well just as a start as I mentioned in the post we'll be playing Bang! but if you or anyone else is vehemently opposed or has any other suggestions I'm down for anything, either in vanilla or in the workshop mods catalog.

Ive never try that game before. Is it easy to pick up? I'm down to play :) I love board games.

Imgur has gotten better. After "Pro" accounts were launched it became overzealous with compression on images uploaded from anonymous users/standard accounts so as to encourage subscriptions, but naturally this resulted in people going elsewhere in droves and I believe the threshold has since been raised to 5MB, which, while smaller than Abload/Minus, is fine for 1080p screenshots and (most) gifs. I use Abload myself as Minus has always been dreadfully slow for me for some reason.

I didn't even know about Abload or Minus till now. Which one do you use? I'll go make an account on there.

Turfster

Turfster's speed is unmatched. I bow to the Air Master.

Your answer was more complete, my friend.
Also, not entirely sure Burning Chrome wasn't first now.
I mean, pretty sure it was there ICE was coined, but I think black ICE was first mentioned in Neuromancer.
It's been... quite a few years.

MRORANGE

Imgur has gotten better. After "Pro" accounts were launched it became overzealous with compression on images uploaded from anonymous users/standard accounts so as to encourage subscriptions, but naturally this resulted in people going elsewhere in droves and I believe the threshold has since been raised to 5MB, which, while smaller than Abload/Minus, is fine for 1080p screenshots and (most) gifs.

5mb is never enough... I rember trying to get my Sleeping Dogs OT to upload on imgur but kept hitting the limit after reducing the GIF quality and just gave up and created a .minus account.

Although I do prefer imgur as they tend to load stuff better and somehow keep unregistered stuff for years.

JaseC

I didn't even know about Abload or Minus till now. Which one do you use? I'll go make an account on there.

Abload, like I said. ;) Minus seems to be more popular among GAFers, though.

5mb is never enough... I rember trying to get my Sleeping Dogs OT to upload on imgur but kept hitting the limit after reducing the GIF quality and just gave up and created a .minus account.

Although I do prefer imgur as they tend to load stuff better and somehow keep unregistered stuff for years.

Late'ish 2012 would have been before the 5MB limit, IIRC. You couldn't even upload a Steam screenshot without having it compressed some more.

Jawmuncher

L.A. Noire $6 at Gamefly.

Buy?

Eh depends on what you want. The game is very divisive. I felt it never truly lived up to its potential especially with the entire cast being unlikeable in any capacity. Though 6 is still a good price if you're still interested.

JaseC

Probably because it's in English. plus minus looks nicer.

Minus was my first choice, but my ISP is awful and consequently I was pushed towards Abload instead. The only issue at the time was that it didn't support user accounts/galleries, so I had to rely on my browser history, which wasn't ideal, haha.

Grief.exe

Anything on the exclusivity of Hellblade or Silent Hill?

I don't see much of a platform mention anywhere for the former, and Ninja Theory seems to be pushing the independently published portion so I doubt they would then shackle themselves to a console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom