• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblank83

I don't know what's the problem with saving money. If someone asks for a fair assessment of a product, I don't think they should be subject to comments of the kind of "It's cheap, why are you such a cheapass?" People can see it's "cheap" themselves, thank you very much.

You should've read the second and third paragraphs before typing out a rant.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Infinite Justice, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Gigantic Army -- MB-B2C4BFEA3EDBECB6 - Taken by salazar547. 13 entrants total.
Unholy Heights -- MB-78D40AA43E6789A8 - Taken by Henry Swanson. 5 entrants total.
One Way Heroics -- MB-C2352473C54255F8 - Taken by lukiluk. 3 entrants total.

t1407900365z1.png

Uzzy

The amount of deception and bullshit the twins are trying to pull with these last couple expos is mind-boggling.

Sometimes I think trading standards should step in and force a solution to clear this up. No more calling something exclusive if it's really just a timed, console only exclusive. Customers need clarity.

I hope the new Tomb Raider is actually good. The idea of an open world, survival focused game with real exploration and large puzzle focused tombs is grand but they also pushed the survival angle for the first game and at no point did it ever factor into the game. It will probably be a mix of Ubisoft style open worlds, the reboot's tiny puzzle rooms, and continued Uncharted ripping although now they will copy the Last of Us's resource system.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Presumably, the new Steam store update will include a system called "Discovery Queue" and will be similar to how Greenlight Queues work - except it'll be based partly on the games that you "follow" (previously, games that you "join the official group"). Think of it as a type of StumbleUpon but for games.

You'll be able to cycle through games that are meant to match your gaming interest based on these groups and certain content curators that you follow. Presumably, you'll be able customize the Steam homepage based on this Discovery Queue.

A lot of this has been confirmed by new strings that just arrived in the Steam translation servers.

XZe2WEP.png

MayMay

Banned
That Silent Hill thing... I'm still in disbelief - thinking I'm dreaming. It's just too good to be true. Wish it'd be coming to PC - but even if not.. lol. Kojima is saving Konami on his own right now.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Two different small bundle giveaways:

3 Stars of Destiny, an RPG Maker game that I've actually played. It's sort of okay if you like RPG Maker games, but it's not really that good.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (BinaryPork2737, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

3 Stars of Destiny -- MB-0AD5463EE660EF7D - Taken by cyrok. 1 entrants total.

t1407899525z1.png

And Ballpoint Universe Infinite, a game where the phrase "most of the people that want it already have it" is probably apt.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Ballpoint Universe Infinite -- MB-143E7DAF11723E15 - Taken by NamikazeBurst

Mono

Two different small bundle giveaways:

3 Stars of Destiny, an RPG Maker game that I've actually played. It's sort of okay if you like RPG Maker games, but it's not really that good.

It's not terrible; I've definitely seen worse! I really love that random encounter rate option.

The writing and characters are kind of awful, but I love the gameplay and world so far!

Ozium

That Silent Hill thing... I'm still in disbelief - thinking I'm dreaming. It's just too good to be true. Wish it'd be coming to PC - but even if not.. lol. Kojima is saving Konami on his own right now.

What if it's a nightmare used to cope with your gaming sins? Never trust Hideo.

Presumably, the new Steam store update will include a system called "Discovery Queue" and will be similar to how Greenlight Queues work - except it'll be based partly on the games that you "follow" (previously, games that you "join the official group"). Think of it as a type of StumbleUpon but for games.

You'll be able to cycle through games that are meant to match your gaming interest based on these groups and certain content curators that you follow. Presumably, you'll be able customize the Steam homepage based on this Discovery Queue.

A lot of this has been confirmed by new strings that just arrived in the Steam translation servers.

XZe2WEP.png

That's awesome.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Isomer -- MB-4D65C996D3321CDC - Taken by HalfwayOrb. 11 entrants total.

t1407910505z1.png

jblank83

Content curators? Is this something new?

I'm resistant to personalities being allowed to sway Steam beyond something simple like reviews, along with all the problems a cult of personality drags along with it, monetization and whatnot.

I'm resistant to personalities being allowed to sway Steam beyond something simple like reviews, along with all the problems a cult of personality drags along with it, monetization and whatnot.

Valve talked about it early this year, but I don't remember if it was during the Steam Dev Days or in a interview. The way I remember is any person could set up their own store and curate the games.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
It's not terrible; I've definitely seen worse! I really love that random encounter rate option.

The writing and characters are kind of awful, but I love the gameplay and world so far!

I've definitely played way worse, but it's just really mediocre.

The writing and characters being awful and awkward can be partially explained as being poorly translated; the writer and dev are French and English isn't his first language. The battle system is basically the same as every other game from the dev. The entire game feels like the areas were made first to show off a variety of places to go to without really considering why they were there in the first place. Some of the later boss battles are frustrating because a few are the RPG equivalent of bullet sponges.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

This is something they've been working on since January. It'll allow personalities like TotalBiscuit
or me, I guess
to set up their own recommendations which people will be able to "follow" (like Twitter) and those games will show up in the follower's "Discovery Queue".

There was some talk at one point of this leading to revenue being generated by the curator (a cut of the sale) but it looks like according to the latest intel that this idea has been completely scrapped in favor of a more altruistic "Do this because it'll grow your fanbase elsewhere and because you want people to play good games and not shitty ones and we want you to stop complaining that we changed the homepage to show top sellers instead of new releases."

Aww.

You just made someone really happy, I guess? :(

u wot m8??

Final Fantasy is great! \o/

I'll bash your fuckini' 'ead in. There have beeen plenty of fantastic Final Fantasy games despite the recent failure of recent Square-Enix.

oy lisen up ere m8's final fantasy is rubbish bruvs ill bop any1 in tha gabber that disagres.

But seriously, FF has been bad/stale for a very long time, my opinion of course.

oy lisen up ere m8's final fantasy is rubbish bruvs ill bop any1 in tha gabber that disagres.

But seriously, FF has been bad/stale for a very long time, my opinion of course.

Yeah I can't say I've ever actually played a FF game that interested me for more than an hour, so would tend to agree with you there.

Anustart

Finishing up Sleeping Dogs (grabbing collectibles, murder sprees) then moving on to Tomb Raider! Or back to Skyrim, not sure which.

Finally done with exams! OTL I can finally take some time to enjoy summer and play through my backlog.

There was quite a lot of news out today and I still catching up on it.

Mono

Not too long, in my opinion! I think that the peak of the series was Final Fantasy IX, which was absolutely brilliant. I'm one of the few people who really liked it when they started majorly changing things starting at Final Fantasy XII.

Can't argue that they're not going downhill, though! Squeenix has been digging deeper into their own grave for a long time, especially with the Final Fantasy series. Hopefully FFXV changes things, but I learned the hard way not to have high expectations for them anymore!

What they really need to do is release some of the older games on PC!

Altazor

Finishing up Sleeping Dogs (grabbing collectibles, murder sprees) then moving on to Tomb Raider! Or back to Skyrim, not sure which.

Tomb Raider is fairly short (if you decide not to binge in a collectathon), bombastic and very pretty. It's mindless fun and it's recommended - but it's not without its flaws. If you liked actual tomb raiding... uh, I guess there's not much of that in the game.

Skyrim can get long and tedious or quite exciting, depending on your playstyle, if you use mods or not, etc. But it can look absolutely pretty. And it has a pretty damn beautiful soundtrack too. When I last played it I was actually not doing anything related to the main quest... I was just wondering through the world, exploring tombs and ruins and hoping I wouldn't get killed by giants or dragons. Never finished it - I actually got bored.

Pick your poison :)

dot

Not too long, in my opinion! I think that the peak of the series was Final Fantasy IX, which was absolutely brilliant. I'm one of the few people who really liked it when they started majorly changing things starting at Final Fantasy XII.

Can't argue that they're not going downhill, though! Squeenix has been digging deeper into their own grave for a long time, especially with the Final Fantasy series. Hopefully FFXV changes things, but I learned the hard way not to have high expectations for them anymore!

What they really need to do is release some of the older games on PC!

My favorite FF was FFIX too. *high five*

Finally done with exams! OTL I can finally take some time to enjoy summer and play through my backlog.

There was quite a lot of news out today and I still catching up on it.

fite me in speedrunners winterdeer

I hope Steam changes it so free games you "buy" show up in your library. It's nice to have them tied to my account, but without having them in my library it's not really much different from when they just gave you all of the f2p stuff. And if a game gets removed from the store (like Expendabros will be) I'd own it but I wouldn't be able to redownload it.

My favorite FF was FFIX too. *high five*

fite me in speedrunners winterdeer

Of course! :p (not right now though since I'm recovering from the mental strain) I finally got a controller hooked up (thanks Dunder and iosefe) so hopefully I'll be better this time, lol. The deer will prevail!

Lain

I think he meant its crazy to play Final Fantasy for 10 hours in 1 day. I know I can't do it.

I still remember my long FFXI sessions and sleeping between a party search and the other. Even for FF14:ARR I did some long stretches, especially during the beta to get that sweet caster armor.
Nothing like the 30+ hours sessions with EQ though. Who'd want to leave that Unrest or LGuk group once it was formed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom