• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Konami has a conference primarily focused on Phantom Pain later today. Hopefully they sneak in some Silent Hills info.

Hopefully they sneak in some PC info.

Good chance the 880ti will essentially launch with this game.

Would love for both of these things.
Its a hour long conference I don't think anyone would raise a fuss over a tidbit of info if not a little more. Hell I'm still wondering what they can talk about for an hour.

MUnited83

For you.
As I mentioned a couple of pages back, it brings along with it all the problems inherent in a cult of personality. Right now it's just a store front. You come in, look at a wall of games, search for a specific game you want, and you're done. Now we'll have salesmen pushing junk for a cut, orators getting up on soap boxes, shills pushing agendas, rabble rousers pushing politics.

I also don't see the benefit. I guess if I totally completely love Total Biscuit and I want to buy every game he recommends, now it's easier for me to do so. I could already do that by following his youtube channel though.

If Valve wanted to improve the shopping experience, they could add tabs so I can browse the "top 100" genre lists and look at individual games without having to restart a list from number 1 and scrolling forward 10 at a time. Or they could improve the search filter. Or they could get rid of Adobe Flash. Or a hundred other significant UI improvements.

Really it just seems like a mostly useless feature that might unnecessarily complicate the storefront and the service. Then again, I haven't seen it in action, so who knows.
They are making those improvements too. They are improving the search function too. You don't have to use a curator. It's an option and only that. The "salesmen pushing junk for a cut, orators getting up on soap boxes, shills pushing agendas, rabble rousers pushing politics. " are not forced upon you. You choose them. This will never affect you or your specific storefront unless you want it otherwise.

def sim

Its a hour long conference I don't think anyone would raise a fuss over a tidbit of info if not a little more. Hell I'm still wondering what they can talk about for an hour.

Somehow I think Kojima is capable of bullshitting for an hour about the Metal Gear Solid world.

Saty

Hopefully the plural use of 'tags' does mean that. I want go to search and type any sort of tag combination and that it will give me all the games that share all this tags. So 'FPS' + 'Historic' + 'Comedy' + 'No Regen Health'.

Seeing how your friends tagged stuff is crucial to float up tags that offer informative descriptions that aren't obvious and that aren't currently showing. Like, i tagged some of my FPS as having a '2-Weapon Limit' and in the future i would like to search all FPS that have a weapon limit but it won't be happening until that tag is used more so it shows up in the general search area, so my suggestion would increase the exposure. Also stuff like 'Disappearing Bodies \ Mutilate-able Bodies' which could be useful for people but there's a zero chance in the current system for that tag go be widespread.

Ban Puncher

I can already see the pewdiepie storefront of the future.

I was in a buddys car last week and whilst we were waiting at a red light there was a couple of middle school aged kids at the bus stop and I hear one kid ask the other excitedly "Hey, have you seen Pewdiepies new video?!" whilst waving his phone around. As the lights changed green and my friend started to drive off I yelled out the window "YO PEWDIEPIE SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS" and they got mad.

It was pretty great.

I was in a buddys car last week and whilst we were waiting at a red light there was a couple of middle school aged kids at the bus stop and I hear one kid ask the other excitedly "Hey, have you seen Pewdiepies new video?!" whilst waving his phone around. As the lights changed green and my friend started to drive off I yelled out the window "YO PEWDIEPIE SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS" and they got mad.

It was pretty great.

I like you.

jblank83

The "salesmen pushing junk for a cut, orators getting up on soap boxes, shills pushing agendas, rabble rousers pushing politics. " are not forced upon you. You choose them. This will never affect you or your specific storefront unless you want it otherwise.

How do you know it will never affect anyone outside of their "curated store"? When someone can influence tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of people, that gives them the capacity to direct that influence. The positive side is they can, potentially, feature games that deserve exposure. The negative side is they can push agendas or products that don't deserve exposure.

I prefer the store to be as neutral as possible. That's where it is right now, with little outside influence. Valve makes some decisions on what to advertise on the store front but that's it. I remember them mentioning they'd want companies to be able to write their own store front pages. That's fine. But any random personality from Youtube or Twitch or Twitter? What happens when a Machinima type conglomerate buys out a bunch of influential personalities and uses them to push products?

This isn't a fanciful scenario. It has happened on Youtube already, and in conjunction with major corporations in the industry such as Microsoft. This is a mega-billion dollar industry, not a mom and pop operation. There are powerful corporations interested in the performance of every service, from Amazon to Nintendo to Steam.

Obviously the store and interface needs to evolve. Open, hands-off standards are great. The world wide web works because it is a completely free, open, hands-off set of technical specifications that anyone can adapt to their needs. There is the consortium, however it exists solely to work on the technical specifications. It maintains its neutrality by limiting its scope of interest to technical specifications and related issues and by the fact that the web is a free specification, not able to be owned by anyone.

Steam isn't a completely free, open, hands-off specification, though. It's run by a private corporation who takes a cut of everyone's sales on the service. Its health is tied to the financial performance of the participants in its market. Thankfully, it is not run by stock holder interests and is instead run by a very smart, fairly altruistic individual and his like minded employees. However, it is still less free than the world wide web's technical specifications, and that makes it somewhat vulnerable to influences beyond just technical concerns.

Which is my concern, because I rely on the Steam service to be as neutral and agenda free as possible.

As I've already said, it may turn out to be nothing, however at this time none of us knows how exactly it'll turn out. That is, unless one of you is a Valve Steam client developer.

I can already see the pewdiepie storefront of the future.

Ish

The 780 Ti didn't launch directly with the 780.
Ah, ok. Thanks. Never built a PC before, so I'm not in the know when cpus/gpus come out.
Nvidias x70 is a bit on the bad side of value for me. Hope this fall 860ti will be available. With the 7xx series, a 760ti never came or I could not find one in the stores I searched. x60ti always looks good on the value side.
So excited. There are so many games from the past 5 years I could not play. Hope my plans don't fall in the water again like last year :)

FloatOn

Pillars of Eternity is going to make me get off the comfy couch and do a normal desk setup.

The party was fun while it lasted :/

Lomax

How do you know it will never affect anyone outside of their "curated store"? When someone can influence tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of people, that gives them the capacity to direct that influence. The positive side is they can, potentially, feature games that deserve exposure. The negative side is they can push agendas or products that don't deserve exposure.

I prefer the store to be as neutral as possible. That's where it is right now, with little outside influence. Valve makes some decisions on what to advertise on the store front but that's it. I remember them mentioning they'd want companies to be able to write their own store front pages. That's fine. But any random personality from Youtube or Twitch or Twitter? What happens when a Machinima type conglomerate buys out a bunch of influential personalities and uses them to push products?

This isn't a fanciful scenario. It has happened on Youtube already, and in conjunction with major corporations in the industry such as Microsoft. This is a mega-billion dollar industry, not a mom and pop operation. There are powerful corporations interested in the performance of every service, from Amazon to Nintendo to Steam.

Obviously the store and interface needs to evolve. Open, hands-off standards are great. The world wide web works because it is a completely free, open, hands-off set of technical specifications that anyone can adapt to their needs. There is the consortium, however it exists solely to work on the technical specifications. It maintains its neutrality by limiting its scope of interest to technical specifications and related issues and by the fact that the web is a free specification, not able to be owned by anyone.

Steam isn't a completely free, open, hands-off specification, though. It's run by a private corporation who takes a cut of everyone's sales on the service. Its health is tied to the financial performance of the participants in its market. Thankfully, it is not run by stock holder interests and is instead run by a very smart, fairly altruistic individual and his like minded employees. However, it is still less free than the world wide web's technical specifications, and that makes it somewhat vulnerable to influences beyond just technical concerns.

Which is my concern, because I rely on the Steam service to be as neutral and agenda free as possible.

As I've already said, it may turn out to be nothing, however at this time none of us knows how exactly it'll turn out. That is, unless one of you is a Valve Steam client developer.

Ish

Except the store isn't remotely neutral right now. The current japanese indie promotion was told it could get a front page slot if it "got enough attention." The community choice votes are always won by the most popular games. The featured slots go to best sellers and nothing more. If I had a choice to have my storefront curated by jshackles or SteamGaf or even TotalBiscuit, it would be nothing but improved. Maybe the average user wouldn't be as well off, but the idea of "agenda free" in any aspect of our marketing driven society is, quite frankly, delusional. At least with this in theory you could affect whose agenda you support.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

It seems that Steam itself is trying to be as "neutral and agenda free as possible" (as you suggest) by making a storefront where the users curate their own content. I think that your concerns are quite valid - people with an agenda may be the driving force behind the storefront in the very near future.

Just as I reported last night on the "Discovery Queue" - it seems this will be based not only on which curators you follow but also on which games you follow (aka "joined the official group"). This means that Steam is allowing developers and publishers, a lot of them large companies like Microsoft, to get in on this action as well.

It's unknown at this time, but my guess is that once these systems are in place, the "floodgates" of Greenlight will be open and Steam will move to be a more "open" publishing platform. Have a game? Put it on Steam! Then find a way to increase your visibility and make your own sales. It's what Google does, and to a smaller extent it's what Apple does with the App Store.

While it probably won't be the End of PC Gaming as we Know It©, it does seem like it'll be a radical shift in the status quo.

It seems that Steam itself is trying to be as "neutral and agenda free as possible" (as you suggest) by making a storefront where the users curate their own content. I think that your concerns are quite valid - people with an agenda may be the driving force behind the storefront in the very near future.

Just as I reported last night on the "Discovery Queue" - it seems this will be based not only on which curators you follow but also on which games you follow (aka "joined the official group"). This means that Steam is allowing developers and publishers, a lot of them large companies like Microsoft, to get in on this action as well.

It's unknown at this time, but my guess is that once these systems are in place, the "floodgates" of Greenlight will be open and Steam will move to be a more "open" publishing platform. Have a game? Put it on Steam! Then find a way to increase your visibility and make your own sales. It's what Google does, and to a smaller extent it's what Apple does with the App Store.

While it probably won't be the End of PC Gaming as we Know It©, it does seem like it'll be a radical shift in the status quo.

JaseC is going to lose a LOT of money

Asgaro

Received this e-mail today.

Valve is cleaning up my Steam games list?

I thought for a second Planetside 2 was taken off Steam lol.
Don't understand why they removed that entry: I had around 80 hours of playtime already clocked in. Third longest played Steam game for me.

ITADmail.PNG

Perhaps related to the big Steam store changes that are coming?

Sendou

For Valve it is free money when you think about it... more games on STEAM = more games bought on STEAM = More money for Gabe

Yeah basically. Yet opening your platform up like this brings over challenges that are hard to overcome. Discoverability is one big one. Developers have to feel that if they make a solid product it will find its way to people who are interested in playing it. Yeah it's not all on Steam but Valve has to work towards that goal.

Another thing I want to say is that I hope Steam doesn't allow 100% customization of the front page. Meaning that you could have 100% Pewdiepie selected front page or whatever. That gives too much power to inviduals.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Received this e-mail today.

Valve is cleaning up my Steam games list?

I thought for a second Planetside 2 was taken off Steam lol.
Don't understand why they removed that entry: I had around 80 hours of playtime already clocked in. Third longest played Steam game for me.

ITADmail.PNG

Perhaps related to the big Steam store changes that are coming?

No, it's related to transitioning F2P games (including demos) to their new system; search the last 10 or 20 pages, there's been a lot of discussion about it.

Teppic

For Valve it is free money when you think about it... more games on STEAM = more games bought on STEAM = More money for Gabe
If this becomes anything like the iOS store, where you have to wade through shit to get anything worthwhile, then I will most likely stop browsing the store. It won't make me buy more games, I would buy less.

If all the shitty games that are currently on greenlight gets a spot on the store, then I would no longer consider Steam a platform to be reckoned with. Steam sales would get less interesting and more of a hassle. I wouldn't check out games because it's probably one of the shitty ones.

Is this Gigantic Army in the Weekly bundle good?

I have all of the other games and would just need this, but would pay about 1 key for the tier 1 keys, since I would rather use steammoney for this one game.

MUnited83

For you.
If this becomes anything like the iOS store, where you have to wade through shit to get anything worthwhile, then I will most likely stop browsing the store. It won't make me buy more games, I would buy less.

If all the shitty games that are currently on greenlight gets a spot on the store, then I would no longer consider Steam a platform to be reckoned with. Steam sales would get less interesting and more of a hassle. I wouldn't check out games because it's probably one of the shitty ones.

And that would be solved with the storefront customization and by choosing a curator.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

But Steam is already like that. You either rely on Valve's "featured" content, you rely on various automated top charts, you rely on "friends have been playing", you wade through the masses of shit, or you use recommendations externally to the Steam store and don't worry about the front page. Exactly the same thing as iOS. How do you currently find stuff on Steam?

If Valve wanted to improve the shopping experience, they could add tabs so I can browse the "top 100" genre lists and look at individual games without having to restart a list from number 1 and scrolling forward 10 at a time.

The worst part is if you click one to detail the store page you start back at page one if you go back. Very annoying.

Ruruja

Most people on SteamGAF get their games from bundle sites, GMG, Gamersgate etc etc anyways, and only usually get games through Steam's store when they're having a sale (and everything is displayed on the front page).

So I don't see it becoming that much of a problem if they make it more of a mess than it already is.

So Crysis 3...gonna do this checklist style so that the curious can quickly figure out if they want to play it or not:

-Do you like games that leave your jaw on the floor due to how well they look and having insane levels of detail?
-Would you like more Crysis 2, but a bit more opened up? not Crysis 1 opened up but also not so closed down as to feel like you're being funneled through a series of game-tubes?
-do you like skill trees that present a lot of useless skills, so that you're left with about 10 upgrade points that you didn't even bother with?
-how do you feel about playing a human version of the Predator as you toy with the opposition while remaining hidden in plain sight?

Crysis 3 seems to know what it wants to be, and that's better version of crysis 2. It's not hamstrung by a shitty annoying scifi story where they hired an author to lend it some credibility. No, this feels like they just said "lets pretend Crysis 2 never happened and make a better sequel to Crysis 1." And i mean they pretty much do not mention a fucking thing about Crysis 2, like if it was made by Treyarch and Crysis 1 & 3 were products of Infinity Ward. You could jump from crysis 1 straight to crysis 3 and not feel like you've missed a step, hell they bring back a least one major character and mention story segments from the first game. They don't even bother to mention the name of the guy you played as in part 2 at all. It's kinda weird.

The game does a great job with its stages. There are some truly memorable areas here (if you ever play it, just remember that the Dam is the peak of this). The gunplay is fine: it's neither here nor there, it's ok. But good god, does this fucking game look amazing. Swaying grass, beautiful scenery, and possibly the best wet-rocks tech ever to hit your gfx card.

really, Crysis 3 is like your average summer blockbuster of FPSes: It looks phenomenal, it's neither deep nor thoughtful, and in the end you'll feel happy that's you experienced it but you could go the rest of your life without seeing it again and not feel bad at all about it. For the $5 i spent on it, i definitely felt like i got my money's worth in standing-around-looking-at-cool-shit alone.

HoosTrax

So Crysis 3...gonna do this checklist style so that the curious can quickly figure out if they want to play it or not:

-Do you like games that leave your jaw on the floor due to how well they look and having insane levels of detail?
-Would you like more Crysis 2, but a bit more opened up? not Crysis 1 opened up but also not so closed down as to feel like you're being funneled through a series of game-tubes?
-do you like skill trees that present a lot of useless skills, so that you're left with about 10 upgrade points that you didn't even bother with?
-how do you feel about playing a human version of the Predator as you toy with the opposition while remaining hidden in plain sight?

Crysis 3 seems to know what it wants to be, and that's better version of crysis 2. It's not hamstrung by a shitty annoying scifi story where they hired an author to lend it some credibility. No, this feels like they just said "lets pretend Crysis 2 never happened and make a better sequel to Crysis 1." And i mean they pretty much do not mention a fucking thing about Crysis 2, like if it was made by Treyarch and Crysis 1 & 3 were products of Infinity Ward. You could jump from crysis 1 straight to crysis 3 and not feel like you've missed a step, hell they bring back a least one major character and mention story segments from the first game. They don't even bother to mention the name of the guy you played as in part 2 at all. It's kinda weird.

The game does a great job with its stages. There are some truly memorable areas here (if you ever play it, just remember that the Dam is the peak of this). The gunplay is fine: it's neither here nor there, it's ok. But good god, does this fucking game look amazing. Swaying grass, beautiful scenery, and possibly the best wet-rocks tech ever to hit your gfx card.

really, Crysis 3 is like your average summer blockbuster of FPSes: It looks phenomenal, it's neither deep nor thoughtful, and in the end you'll feel happy that's you experienced it but you could go the rest of your life without seeing it again and not feel bad at all about it. For the $5 i spent on it, i definitely felt like i got my money's worth in standing-around-looking-at-cool-shit alone.
It's finally coming to Steam?

Asgaro

L.A. Noire $6 at Gamefly.

Buy?

It's a very unique game and you see the "Rockstar touch" everywhere when you take the time to explore the world.

By which I mean: don't fast travel from one mission to the next.
Take in the world by driving yourself all the time and just cruising around. The attention to detail is remarkable.
(You even get an achievement when you drove a certain amount of miles. And not a lot of people have it looking at the success rate on Steam...)

I got 31 hours out of this game. (This is without any DLC)
And it's only rather towards the ending that certain things get interesting plotwise. It gave me goosebumps.

Jawmuncher

Given Crytek's current money troubles, maybe. I just posted my impressions here since the other games came out on steam and i figured some people would like to hear about C3.

I recently played it as well and enjoyed it for what it was. Was definitely a very nice looking game. Though I had more fun ignoring the side missions and just trying to get stuff done as quick as possible. Cloak get shit done and get the hell out.

What are the odds that any of the Sims 3 DLC's will be on sale before Sims 4 is released?

50/50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom