• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sendou

Incidentally, did someone make that "Square Enix just shot themselves in the foot" jokepost?

I think it's too obvious. Wouldn't work. They did exactly that though. Screwing with your fanbase for some short-term revenue is something I never quite understood.

Kiru

lucille_banner.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/games/218620/announcements/detail/252519633803947552
Just seen this. Seriously, WAT.

Altazor

I heard Duke's Archives is alot like the ending stair portion of Tower of Latria from Demon's Souls with the Spiral staircases. If it's really like that then I won't have any problem, I actually found Tower of Latria pretty easy haha. And yeah I don't see how anything could be worse than Tomb of the Giants, even with the sunlight maggot that whole area is still a bitch.

I don't have a PS3 so I've sadly never played Demon's Souls, which means I can't offer a fair comparison... but the Archives do feature a number of rotating staircases and switches and annoying archers (though less OMFG ARE YOU KIDDING ME than Anor Londo's)

Hugstable

Banned
Hehe, well I used to have quite a few big boxes until my pops tossed them out. Now I only have a couple with The Tomb Raider gold box being my most valued one.

I miss Edios old Triangle boxes for PC games haha.

I don't have a PS3 so I've sadly never played Demon's Souls, which means I can't offer a fair comparison... but the Archives do feature a number of rotating staircases and switches and annoying archers (though less OMFG ARE YOU KIDDING ME than Anor Londo's)

Thank god for that, those 2 Silver Knight Archers in Anor Londo had to be the most I was stuck on a part in the game, even more than S&O. Seriously, fuck those archers lol.

Lain

So who here has a collection of big box PC games. I'm curious.

I have a big box full of them. It's somewhat sad that most of those games are now useless because only a few were on CDs and everything else was on floppies and my PC has no floppy drive.
At least I can still play Diablo 1.

Altazor

Thank god for that, those 2 Silver Knight Archers in Anor Londo had to be the most I was stuck on a part in the game, even more than S&O. Seriously, fuck those archers lol.

Such a devious sequence. Yeah, you can roll through the arrows/become invisible/use poison arrows against them/etc. but if you're going there blind and not having really "mastered" the game yet, it's horrible.

And it's incredibly satisfying when you finally get past them ;)

Lomax

I'm starting to think that X-Blades is in one bundle or another every week.
Then again, even on Steam it's only 1.49$ right now.

Topware itself has bundled its games repeatedly, especially on Groupees. Basically that whole bundle is heavy repeats.

Arthea

I still have this constant problem where steam is lying to me about games I own, when I check in store it shows that I don't own the game, when I buy it and try to add it, I get to know that I do own it after all...
Is there any cure for that? It's most annoying steam bug ever.

Hugstable

Banned
Such a devious sequence. Yeah, you can roll through the arrows/become invisible/use poison arrows against them/etc. but if you're going there blind and not having really "mastered" the game yet, it's horrible.

And it's incredibly satisfying when you finally get past them ;)

Yeah after awhile I realized that I had a spell that could make me heavier so I didn't get the knockback from the arrows, and after realizing that the left archer won't hurt you as long as you get more towards the right Archer, it became a ton more manageable. After that I made myself super heavy, walked up to him, and kicked that mother fucker sending him packing. Felt so good after beating that portion, but nothing will beat how I felt after beating O&S. I was literally screaming in my house "YAAAAAAAS", someone thought I was dying or going crazy

Sendou

I still have this constant problem where steam is lying to me about games I own, when I check in store it shows that I don't own the game, when I buy it and try to add it, I get to know that I do own it after all...
Is there any cure for that? It most annoying steam bug ever.

Wanna trade bugs? When I use Steam website it randomly changes the language to Finnish and logs me out (not simultaneously though). All the time. I haven't figured what causes it.

Grief.exe

I used to, but about a year ago I set out to consolidate them all down into DVD cases - one per game. I saved any manuals that would fit in the DVD case. I printed out custom artwork (with matching layout and logos) and have them on display with the rest of my console games.

I took the boxes themselves, flattened them, and sold them on eBay for way more money than I thought they should be worth.

I have about 100 or so PC games like this on my shelf at the moment. It looks absolutely fantastic, and my wife is happy that I don't have a ton of old PC game boxes laying about the house.

What artwork did you print out?

Jawmuncher

Thanks for the replies guys.
Old PC game box collections always fascinate me no matter the size. They're just so cool to look at especially since there was no standard on what a box should be.

Sendou

Gaben just wants you to learn a new Language :p

I already know Finnish but I want to use it in English :( Maybe it's more like they want me to appreciate the hard work community translators put into all this. Speaking of which that must be the smartest thing Valve has ever done. Easily translate lots of text into countless of different languages and it costs you nothing!

Arthea

So who here has a collection of big box PC games. I'm curious.

I had about 400 games I think, until I went all digital, I still have some left, but most I given away (that are playable) or got rid (floppies mostly), don't judge me, I'm too lazy to do all e-bay thingie, and that would require too much time, not to mention that they probably were all bad because of age, anyway.

Wanna trade bugs? When I use Steam website it randomly changes the language to Finnish and logs me out (not simultaneously though). All the time. I haven't figured what causes it.

That's annoying, agreed, but free!

here's a Q&A if you want to know more :)

So Payday plays in a 3 dimension now eh? Breaking Bad(This one is a joke), L4D and Walking Dead...

Fast Zombies and slow zombies in one thing... okay.

Thank you for not telling me what you spoiled me on until after I read the spoiler. Please learn to use spoiler tags better in the future.

And no, I'm not caught up on the comics, but I have been reading them.

If you are interested in Payday 2 you would have searched for what weapon that is. Then you would have gotten that spoiler too.

Altazor

Yeah after awhile I realized that I had a spell that could make me heavier so I didn't get the knockback from the arrows, and after realizing that the left archer won't hurt you as long as you get more towards the right Archer, it became a ton more manageable. After that I made myself super heavy, walked up to him, and kicked that mother fucker sending him packing. Felt so good after beating that portion, but nothing will beat how I felt after beating O&S. I was literally screaming in my house "YAAAAAAAS", someone thought I was dying or going crazy

hahaha, yeah. Dark Souls, man - nothing quite like it.

Oh, I just realized - if you haven't gone to Duke's Archives yet it means you haven't done the DLC. DO IT. Best fucking bosses in the game.

How to access the DLC:
near the Archives' first bonfire there's a crystal golem. You kill it, and gives you a pendant. You take that pendant back to Darkroot Basin. You must have rescued Dusk of Oolacile first - so if you haven't done that yet, do so. You must return to that exact same place with the pendant in your inventory and check the portal.

I feel like I really missed out on a shared experience people had with Dark Souls by going caster. For me O&S was a cakewalk, just sat back and blew them to bits with very little effort.

Same to an extent with Dark Souls 2, tried caster again and had very little trouble with any of the sections besides the first like 15 soul levels.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What artwork did you print out?

Mostly stuff I made myself using a template very similar to this one. They look pretty nice on the shelf, with the added bonus of not having to reprint a good number of my newer games that have this same style already.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I was in a buddys car last week and whilst we were waiting at a red light there was a couple of middle school aged kids at the bus stop and I hear one kid ask the other excitedly "Hey, have you seen Pewdiepies new video?!" whilst waving his phone around. As the lights changed green and my friend started to drive off I yelled out the window "YO PEWDIEPIE SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS" and they got mad.

It was pretty great.

CBmNufP.gif

It's unknown at this time, but my guess is that once these systems are in place, the "floodgates" of Greenlight will be open and Steam will move to be a more "open" publishing platform. Have a game? Put it on Steam! Then find a way to increase your visibility and make your own sales. It's what Google does, and to a smaller extent it's what Apple does with the App Store.

While it probably won't be the End of PC Gaming as we Know It©, it does seem like it'll be a radical shift in the status quo.

You know, on the one hand I want this because niche games that sometimes wallow in Greenlight forever, like some visual novels, will have an easier time getting on the store.

On the other hand, I know it's going to lead to broken games being released on Steam. Well, that and Blue Screen Simulator 20145. I think my biggest nightmare is Big Rigs returning from my past and being sold on Steam.

what-did-i-just-read.gif

Indie Royale Topware Bundle
PRICE: BTA (currently 2.26€)
  • Chicken Shoot
  • Chicken Shoot 2

More like the Shovelware bundle.

Deitus

If you are interested in Payday 2 you would have searched for what weapon that is. Then you would have gotten that spoiler too.

That there are other roundabout ways that I might have been able to spoil myself doesn't mean that you don't have to spoiler tag things correctly. It's common sense really. We are in the Steam thread, not the Walking Dead comic thread. So if you want to post a spoiler about the Walking Dead comic, you should say it's a Walking Dead comic spoiler.

And looking at your edit you still did it wrong. The way you wrote that makes it sound like a show spoiler, but the event you are referencing has not happened in the TV show.

Shadownet

Banned
I was in a buddys car last week and whilst we were waiting at a red light there was a couple of middle school aged kids at the bus stop and I hear one kid ask the other excitedly "Hey, have you seen Pewdiepies new video?!" whilst waving his phone around. As the lights changed green and my friend started to drive off I yelled out the window "YO PEWDIEPIE SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS" and they got mad.

It was pretty great.

This made me cry manly tears of joy.

Arthea

Crafted a badge for mitsurugi kamui hikae hoping for a waifu background

Got this instead
Unless you are really lucky, I would suggest not trying that, most expensive backgrounds are rare, as far as I noticed, meaning your chances getting them crafting even lvl 5 badge are slim. For example, I got 3 same common backgrounds for several 3 lvl badges that I crafted, and I had only one rare background, which I sold for something like 0.20€. I had slightly better luck with emotes, I sold one for 1€! (for reference, crafted 204 badges)

Shadownet

Banned
Unless you are really lucky, I would suggest not trying that, most expensive backgrounds are rare, as far as I noticed, meaning your chances getting them crafting even lvl 5 badge are slim. For example, I got 3 same common backgrounds for several 3 lvl badges that I crafted, and I had only one rare background, which I sold for something like 0.20€. I had slightly better luck with emotes, I sold one for 1€! (for reference, crafted 204 badges)

Wait getting rare background correlate to your level?

That there are other roundabout ways that I might have been able to spoil myself doesn't mean that you don't have to spoiler tag things correctly. It's common sense really. We are in the Steam thread, not the Walking Dead comic thread. So if you want to post a spoiler about the Walking Dead comic, you should say it's a Walking Dead comic spoiler.

And looking at your edit you still did it wrong. The way you wrote that makes it sound like a show spoiler, but the event you are referencing has not happened in the TV show.

I hope you are happy now. I edited for everybody.

Arthea

Wait getting rare background correlate to your level?

not at all, that's why I said "unless you are lucky", like Jasec, for example (><)
What I mean, game badges go only to 5th level, so you get 5 chances to get a rare background, 6 chances if making a foil badge too, for that particular game, that's reason why rare backgrounds sell, in fact, because people can't get them themselves.

Ok so apparently some peeps took the +1 count game to the next level
http://pastebin.com/1HwNNTTe

Odin almighty, I'm impressed (><)

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Planets Under Attack -- MB-310A3A6C63D3F852 - Taken by darkchewie. 1 entrants total.
Enclave -- MB-06DF0809022C3168 - Taken by bluechox2. 1 entrants total.
Jack Orlando Director's Cut -- MB-DD686C79051796A7 - Taken by someguyinahat. 1 entrants total.
Dream Pinball 3D -- MB-2790F7BA05656BFD - Taken by anastef. 1 entrants total.
X Blades -- MB-2329B910B9470515 - Taken by Dragon1893 - Taken by Newblade. 2 entrants total.
Commander Conquest of the Americas Gold -- MB-ACE0C662ACD78736 - Taken by Lomax. 1 entrants total.

t1407949087z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom