• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played through 4, Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes, but not 1-3. Gotta read myself up on those. I own them, but the controls are shit.

If you play MGS1, MGS2 & 3 will come naturally to you because they build upon the controls from the first.

plus, MGS1 is fucking amazing and the least batshit of the games, so you don't feel like you're watching a poorly written anime when you play through it.

but yeah, play the first one or watch someone play through the first handful of minutes so you understand the way it plays. When that game came out, it wasn't until a buddy of mine came over and showed me how to properly play the demo that i had that I was finally interested in the game.

Parsnip

Was there ever an HD version of the first Metal Gear Solid game? Looking online it seems the Gamecube version is the best, is that true?

I don't know I would call it the best. Twin Snakes looks better, but I think they lost some of the magic of MGS with all the ridiculous cutscene stuff.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I bought my PS3 to play MGS4, I wasn't disappointed but it was really inconsistent. Some of it due to development problems and lack of leadership. I remember reading that Kojima didn't reign in the team until pretty late.

MGS3 was dope.
The ladder part with snake eater in the background was awesome.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Was there ever an HD version of the first Metal Gear Solid game? Looking online it seems the Gamecube version is the best, is that true?

A lot of people consider the GC version to be sort of bad for a variety of reasons, including the corny Die Hard-esque animations and dialogue found in the cutscenes and the first person perspective added from 2 sort of messing with the balance of the game. I think my favorite dumb moment of that game is Ocelot's introduction, because it's so bad that it's good. Using backflips to dodge bullets and shit.

I bought my PS3 to play MGS4, I wasn't disappointed but it was really inconsistent. Some of it due to development problems and lack of leadership. I remember reading that Kojima didn't reign in the team until pretty late.

MGS3 was dope.
The ladder part with snake eater in the background was awesome.

And I bought a PS4 just for MGSV too, not disappointed yet but PC Version!

Ban Puncher

I like to think of Twin Snakes as the VR simulation of MGS1 that Raiden mentions he went through before his mission to Big Shell in MGS2. It's like a second hand account with embellishments.

Parsnip

I like to think of Twin Snakes as the VR simulation of MGS1 that Raiden mentions he went through before his mission to Big Shell in MGS2. It's like a second hand account with embellishments.
That's actually a really neat idea.

Come on Konami, start the stream already. I'm tired of this weird music you are playing.

Kiru

PS1 is still the best, even Kojima hates TTS.

Although The Twin Snakes was largely developed at Silicon Knights (mostly programming), its cut scenes and models were developed in-house at Konami, utilizing bullet-time photography and choreographed gunplay extensively. Silicon Knights created many of the game's cinematics to look identical to those in the original Metal Gear Solid, but upon inspection Hideo Kojima redid them in his own style.
He only has himself to blame then.

A lot of people consider the GC version to be sort of bad for a variety of reasons, including the corny Die Hard-esque animations and dialogue found in the cutscenes and the first person perspective added from 2 sort of messing with the balance of the game. I think my favorite dumb moment of that game is Ocelot's introduction, because it's so bad that it's good. Using backflips to dodge bullets and shit.

not only are the cutscenes some sort of post-matrix bullshit in Twin Snakes, by adding MGS2 mechanics into MGS1 they broke the game in several ways, including that fight.

in the original MGS,
you had to run around and play a really tense and enjoyable game of cat and mouse with Ocelot.
in Twin Snakes,
you could literally stand still, go into first person and just shoot him in the head like he's the world's biggest fucking idiot.

I like that the game took out the somewhat stereotypical and weird accents from the original but the voice actors were asleep in the booth during Twin Snakes. Their performances were much worse.

But i digress. I really recommend that you play this series however you can, even if that means you might play meh versions of these games.

Copons

In case you were still holding on the bundle...

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

One Way Heroics -- MB-8AE55256495777C9

Also I'm finally back home with a first second world connection, immediately clogged to download MGRR!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
not only are the cutscenes some sort of post-matrix bullshit in Twin Snakes, by adding MGS2 mechanics into MGS1 they broke the game in several ways, including that fight.

in the original MGS,
you had to run around and play a really tense and enjoyable game of cat and mouse with Ocelot.
in Twin Snakes,
you could literally stand still, go into first person and just shoot him in the head like he's the world's biggest fucking idiot.

I like that the game took out the somewhat stereotypical and weird accents from the original but the voice actors were asleep in the booth during Twin Snakes. Their performances were much worse.

But i digress. I really recommend that you play this series however you can, even if that means you might play meh versions of these games.

Thanks everyone for your opinions. Looks like I'll either stick to the original PS1 or PC release.

Ban Puncher

He has risen.

RhZVif6.png

Mokoi

Banned
I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't care about Metal Gear games besides MGR. Rising was my first game in the series and I loved it.

Lain

I'm still a little confused about why XIII is not on PC, since most of the Final Fantasy games have made it to Steam.

Although I'd like XIII on Steam, and I'd double dip on it, XIII-2 (this would be a triple dip actually) and LR, 3 (III, VII and VIII) out of many isn't what I'd call most of them.

Edit: There are the two MMOs too, though those were already PC games, so I wasn't counting them. So 5 out of many.

Anustart

Wait a minute. What's all this MGS talk doing in here? DONT TELL ME THEY'RE BEING PORTED TO PC! My wallet will kill me, and I'll do nasty things to my penis.

Vibranium

Banned
Christ, that Bloodborne thread is cancer. I am not worried about difficulty or the final game, yet people are throwing a fit.

Anyways, new SH by Kojima and Del Toro is great news, can't freaking wait. Kojima had better go batshit with the story.

Ozium

Is Hideo ever going to explain how, in the Metal Gear universe, technology has seemingly gone backwards from the 1970s to the 2000s?

Aside from some bullshit non-answer like
THE PATRIOTS LOLOL

Is Hideo ever going to explain how, in the Metal Gear universe, technology has seemingly gone backwards from the 1970s to the 2000s?

Aside from some bullshit non-answer like
THE PATRIOTS LOLOL

no, because he would have to admit that he's making it up as he goes along.

which is fine, because that means we get things like the most advanced cardboard box tech ever in the history of the world sometime in the 80s.

GaussTek

Awesome news. That means Metal Gear Rising did pretty good, and that Silent Hills is also coming to PC, right? :p

Oh and, hopefully Square-Enix also announces Final Fantasy XV for PC too (then I won't need a current-gen console).

maty

I'm glad MGSV is coming to PC and hopefully the MGS HD collection comes too but for some reason the only things I like about MGS games are the trailers. The setting is great and some of the ideas they try to bring are good but they get lost in the ridiculous story. I've only played 3 and 4, not that they are bad games or anything but the story was pain to watch specially in MGS4.

I mean every time a new game is introduced you get an excellent, emotional trailer but then the games turn into a shitty shonen. I like anime and manga so I appreciate the humor but some stuff is really out of place in the series.

FloatOn

Awesome news. That means Metal Gear Rising did pretty good, and that Silent Hills is also coming to PC, right? :p

Oh and, hopefully Square-Enix also announces Final Fantasy XV for PC too (then I won't need a current-gen console).

FF15 looks hot. I haven't played a Final Fantasy game since 12 and I haven't beat one since 9.

Jawmuncher

Honestly if GZ is anything to consider the ties to PW seem like they'll be scrapped pretty quick. If you read the synopsis and know the major characters there I think you will be fine.
Since it seems to me that while characters will be brought up in V I don't see kojima beating you over the head with that game. Since it's not like much happened story wise anyway aside from getting militaires sans frontiers into a bigger PMC and snake getting a nuke. 3 I think will be more important just because V is still bound to reference The Boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom