• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooo I'm excited for the MGS and SH news, the last and only one I've played was MGS2 (haven't picked up revengence yet).

Also, I figured out why I coulnd't downsample USF4, when I updated my nvida drivers it got rid of my custom resolutions.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Silent HillS is going to be nothing but jump scares isn't it?

ugh

I mean, the demo had some creepy atmospheric scares to it. I doubt it'll ever top the creepiest moment in the games for me though, that creepy pig squeal mixed with a baby screaming in the Otherworld basement of Brookhaven Hospital in SH2. Something about that always creeps me out.

Kojima ruined metal gear with ground zeroes and TPP with the slowdown mechanic and far cry tracking foolishness..

MGS IV's nonsensical plot came before Ground Zeroes though.

I haven't reacted yet, but hopefully i can run this beast come next year. Hopefully the older titles start jumping on steam in the future too. I need me some PC Snake Eater.

Deitus

Kojima ruined metal gear with ground zeroes and TPP with the slowdown mechanic and far cry tracking foolishness..

lords of shadow was mediocre and spawned 2 outrageously bad sequels that destroyed the franchise

silent hill is next... do not trust this man.

and silent hill was always more about its atmosphere and its story/setting than jump scares. everything about this new silent hill game (granted not much has been said) seems to point to jump scares..

kojima is heavily westernizing franchises, he did it with MGS, did it was Castlevania and I fear he will do the same for silent hill

Given that Kojima wasn't even involved with the two Castlevania sequels, which were worse than the one he was involved with (and I'm still not convinced his involvement was actually significant at all), I think we can blame Mercury Steam for ruining Castlevania, and Konami for giving them the opportunity to do so. It doesn't seem reasonable to pin that all on Kojima.

I'm not saying he he hasn't done a lot of dumb things to the MGS series over the years. I'm skeptical of what he is going to do with Silent Hill as well. But when you look at Konami's output in the last several years, Koji Pro is the only thing they have going for them right now (besides mobile games).

Ozium

Given that Kojima wasn't even involved with the two Castlevania sequels, which were were than the one he was involved with (and I'm still not convinced his involvement was actually significant at all), I think we can blame Mercury Steam for ruining Castlevania, and Konami for giving them the opportunity to do so. It doesn't seem reasonable to pin that all on Kojima.

I'm not saying he he hasn't done a lot of dumb things to the MGS series over the years. I'm skeptical of what he is going to do with Silent Hill as well. But when you look at Konami's output in the last several years, Koji Pro is the only thing they have going for them right now (besides mobile games).

I guarantee you if Kojima didn't have his name attached to LoS it wouldn't have done nearly as well as it did. That being said, the popularity, however misguided, of LoS (which already was a slap in the face to Castlevania fans.. CAPCOM pls) gave Konami carte blanche to destroy the franchise further with the two shitquels.

Yakkue

it's not just scare people..

paraphrasing Kojima's own words via translator:

First they wanted to make you piss your pants, but then they decided to up the ante and make you SHIT your pants.

He said that most games aren't as scary as they could be, because devs fear that a lot of people would just stop playing if it turned out to be too scary for them. He said he doesn't care about that at all and just wants to create the scariest game possible. He also mentioned that you would need to change your underwear often if you're playing Silent Hills.

Now to me that sounds like there are some jumpscares, but you can't create a game that would be "too scary for people to keep on playing" by just relying on jumpscares, so I don't think you need to worry too much.

Deitus

I guarantee you if Kojima didn't have his name attached to LoS it wouldn't have done nearly as well as it did. That being said, the popularity, however misguided, of LoS (which already was a slap in the face to Castlevania fans.. CAPCOM pls) gave Konami carte blanche to destroy the franchise further with the two shitquels.

I'll give you that, it definitely helped to boost sales. I'm not really sure Konami needs help destroying their franchises though, as they have been doing that for years without Kojima's help.

The image is 1920x1080, doesn't look like it's actually being rendered natively
Mmh, yes. Just compared while zooming and the one with the xbox prompts looks upscaled. Probably console screenshots both.
DRbBv2P.png
fOAEIbQ.png

Having experience with consoles only on PS platforms, I would welcome the ability to show PS prompts. I am used to them and I prefer symbols over letters. Ah well, at least the game is coming.

If they were confirmed to be from the PC version, it would mean progress with the port is fairly complete. Maybe it'll take more than half a year?

As I said in the other thread, Ground Zeroes was some crazy fun when I played it at a friend's place. I liked MGS before but I think GZ and PP will be especially great fits for the PC audience. MGS HD collection still could do with a PC release though.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

Ruined, as opposed to the magic radar of previous games? MGS always was more slanted toward action, it was even in the subtitle, "Tactical Espionage Action". Splinter Cell was always the series that was more oriented toward realistic stealth mechanics. GZ, and presumptively PP, has the option to turn off reflex and tagging. The Ranking system based on player actions is also still there.

lords of shadow was mediocre and spawned 2 outrageously bad sequels that destroyed the franchise

Compared to the exaggerated anime hell hole the last few Castlevania games have suffered from? And just a reminder, SoTN open ended type games are not the original game type of Castlevania. Nor is the multiple 3D type games that Konami is adamant about producing. LoS is either the third, or fourth type, of game to share the Castlevania brand.

silent hill is next... do not trust this man.

and silent hill was always more about its atmosphere and its story/setting than jump scares. everything about this new silent hill game (granted not much has been said) seems to point to jump scares..

kojima is heavily westernizing franchises, he did it with MGS, did it was Castlevania and I fear he will do the same for silent hill

The Silent Hill franchise is another series that has either been run into the ground by multiple sequels plagued by bad gameplay or lack of polish without any direct influence from Kojima or has vastly changed from what the original titles were.

C4rter

Don't bother if you're on anything above XP - both games are notoriously hard to run (with sound) on Vista and above.

What? Can't remember having any problems with MP 1 and 2 on Win 7 64 Bit.

Edit: Ah wait, I had a look in my "Game Patches" folder and there were some files to make it run.

Shadownet

Banned
This guy added me after I posted on Steamtrades about wanting to trade Advanced Warfare for Paypal.

He said that he is willing to buy it but I have to go first. (meaning I send the game first) I told him no cause I don't know him. If he want, he could send a like half the money and I can give him all of the games in my inventory except CoD as collateral and once that is done I'll send him CoD and he send me back my games and the rest of the money.

He said no way, then said that he can get it for cheaper in EU. I asked why is he even talking to me then if he can get it for cheaper? We said bye. then he posted on my wall saying that I was trying to scam him.

What a butthurt douche.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
This guy added me after I posted on Steamtrades about wanting to trade Advanced Warfare for Paypal.

He said that he is willing to buy it but I have to go first. (meaning I send the game first) I told him no cause I don't know him. If he want, he could send a like half the money and I can give him all of the games in my inventory except CoD as collateral and once that is done I'll send him CoD and he send me back my games and the rest of the money.

He said no way, then said that he can get it for cheaper in EU. I asked why is he even talking to me then if he can get it for cheaper? We said bye. then he posted on my wall saying that I was trying to scam him.

What a butthurt douche.

Welcome to Steam trading. At least he wasn't begging you to buy him a free game.

yuraya

I feel bad for people who missed out on the previous MGS games. Its gonna be hard to play PP without having complete recollection of everything in the past. The MGS story spans over 50 years. So many characters, so many connections, so many twists. Konami just fucking has to release at least the HD collection on Steam before V. Even if its without 4 so be it. People have to experience previous ones. It would be like not watching the first 5 star wars movies and than deciding to watch the 6th. Its just wrong.

Ozium

Ruined, as opposed to the magic radar of previous games? MGS always was more slanted toward action, it was even in the subtitle, "Tactical Espionage Action". Splinter Cell was always the series that was more oriented toward realistic stealth mechanics. GZ, and presumptively PP, has the option to turn off reflex and tagging. The Ranking system based on player actions is also still there.

I don't find the radar system comparable to the slow-down mechanic or the tracking that lets you see people through walls. MGS3 didn't have any of this and played fine.

Splinter Cell is boring.

Compared to the exaggerated anime hell hole the last few Castlevania games have suffered from? And just a reminder, SoTN open ended type games are not the original game type of Castlevania. Nor is the multiple 3D type games that Konami is adamant about producing. LoS is either the third, or fourth type, of game to share the Castlevania brand.

1. Order of Ecclesia was great
2. Who said anything about SOTN style being the original game type?
3. The 3D castlevania games are garbage, LoS included.

The Silent Hill franchise is another series that has either been run into the ground by multiple sequels plagued by bad gameplay or lack of polish without any direct influence from Kojima or has vastly changed from what the original titles were.

what's your point? castlevania was run into the ground and then kojima came along and drove it further into the ground... silent hill is on the same trajectory. He's done it to his own series, and other series.. why would I expect anything different with Silent Hill?

Grief.exe

Mmh, yes. Just compared while zooming and the one with the xbox prompts looks upscaled. Probably console screenshots both.
DRbBv2P.png
fOAEIbQ.png

Having experience with consoles only on PS platforms, I would welcome the ability to show PS prompts. I am used to them and I prefer symbols over letters. Ah well, at least the game is coming.

Hope to see more and more developers including PS button prompts going forward. They already have them available if it was a multiplatform release, just give us a menu option to toggle the different display types.

MRORANGE

I feel bad for people who missed out on the previous MGS games. Its gonna be hard to play PP without having complete recollection of everything in the past. The MGS story spans over 50 years. So many characters, so many connections, so many twists. Konami just fucking has to release at least the HD collection on Steam before V. Even if its without 4 so be it. People have to experience previous ones. It would be like not watching the first 5 star wars movies and than deciding to watch the 6th. Its just wrong.

tbh I don't think even Hideo Kojima understands MGS.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

Um..everyone of the prequel Star Wars films has been awful. And technically, the original Star Wars films are considered the fourth, fifth, and sixth entries.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Ya repetitiveness is main problem of such games, Mitsurugu Kamui Hikae suffers from it too, at less extend, fortunately. It's even more fun then Freesia, have you tried it?

aww, that's a pity, I like Kairo, and I never get motion sick, except in Descent games when I lose perspective on what is up or down, and even then I can play them just fine.
I haven't tried Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae... I was interested, especially since it's a Japanese doujin game, but then I saw from the video that it looked a little repetitive. :\ I might try it out some other time, I'm trying to cut down on my backlog a bit.

I had a big problem with motion sickness when I was a kid, but I went on a bunch of car rides and stuff, so I thought I was cured. The only time I got sick recently was when I was on a kayak in the ocean.

But I don't think I ever have played a first person game before this, so maybe that's why. The mouse movement to look around is just too sudden, I think. I can't play more than a few minutes without getting a headache.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold

What a butthurt douche.

Steamtrades is scammers' haven. I used to resell stuff there and after having to deal with scammers, lowballers and generally unpleasant people everyday I had to quit.

If you want to trade in gifts always prefer TF2Outpost and trade for keys, although you still have to be extremely careful

Driw3r

Unconfirmed Member
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Driw3r, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Tropico Trilogy -- MB-27608D63F3540F82 - Taken by Darth Kupi

And these: Company of Heroes 2 DLC -- MB-6AA0E25A4952E2E6 - Taken by ctw0e
Redshirt -- MB-3AD2A946720AA73C - Taken by Sub Zero

Tizoc

tbh I don't think even Hideo Kojima understands MGS.

He makes it up as he goes along, but he can do some fun stuff.
What sucks about MGS5 is he is trying to make a serious story but it all falls apart because of the side stuff you can do which is so comical it makes the 'serious' story or elements he is trying to convey seem silly or out of place. Case in point
1.gif

I'm sorry Kojima but how exactly can I take your story or even give a fuck about it when I can fulton all the sheep

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This looks fun!

Available: August 27th, 2014

Jawmuncher

What sucks about MGS5 is he is trying to make a serious story but it all falls apart because of the side stuff you can do which is so comical it makes the 'serious' story or elements he is trying to convey seem silly or out of place. Case in point
1.gif

I'm sorry Kojima but how exactly can I take your story or even give a fuck about it when I can fulton all the sheep

Oddly enough unless Fultoning sheep or sexy cardboard boxes are in the cutscenes as well I don't see the issue in the comical gameplay elements. The way I see it the is that the way I play it isn't "canon".

Trejik

The multiple uses of the cardboard box. I have desired this MGS for way too long because I want stupid things like this in my MGS.

Deitus

Story be damned. Any game where I can strap a weather balloon to a sheep, so that it can be collected by aircraft and brought to my mercenary home base on an oil rig is okay by me.

MUnited83

For you.
1.gif

It's MGS. MGS was never serious and I hope it never becomes serious.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
the first Solid game had a guard who couldn't help but shit himself and a dork who unknowingly made a weapon of mass destruction because he was, like, super into anime.

I'm siding with Bernardo

This. The two games that did take themselves the most seriously (2 and 4) are the weakest games in the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom