• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killcaustic68

Neo Member
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Killcaustic68, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

One Way Heroics -- MB-0A8F423A4D45A139 - Taken by VikasNarula. 1 entrants total.

t1407963128z1.png
[/QUOTE]

Deitus

It's MGS. MGS was never serious and I hope it never becomes serious.

Very true. MGS1 was a game where a villian demonstrated his psychic powers by reading what games you've played off your memory card, then asking you to put your controller on the ground so he could make it move (by vibrating it), and the game hints that you should plug your controller into slot 2 to defeat his ability to read your moves.

No way are sheep what make the MGS series hard to take seriously.

maty

Oddly enough unless Fultoning sheep or sexy cardboard boxes are in the cutscenes as well I don't see the issue in the comical gameplay elements. The way I see it the is that the way I play it isn't "canon".

I agree with you, comical gameplay elements do not break the serious tone of the story but if Kojima includes a scene similar to the one where Johnny asks Meryl to marry him then all the story will go to shit and is not even funny (MGS4). That's far worse than sexy cardboard boxes.

I never felt it was intentionally so like say 3 was.

Nothing will ever top The Pain for me. I've got a gun made out of bees that shoots bees!

MGS2:
you could get peed on and there's that whole scene where he's holding his naked parts near the end.

Metal gear has always balanced goofy gamey stuff with philosophical mumbo jumbo. Hell, the game that did that the worst is often considered the weakest link in the main series (MGS4).

Khronico

Yes! Definitely will purchase MGSV on pc then. I was gonna get the ps3 version but I'll probably be able to get Ground Zeroes running at 60fps on my laptop, which is going to be magnitudes better than the alternative.

Hopefully we get the $20 GZ price.

MGS2 is my favorite MGS game followed by 3 and 4.

Sendou

Okay let me review some demos/promotional thingies.

It's always pleasure to see a game that doesn't take itself too seriously. What we have here is exactly that. Beyond that just going through waves of enemies feels good. Different characters all create different waves of doing that. Great soundtrack and beautiful pixel graphics. Good stuff.

Did it make me want to buy Broforce? Absolutely. Doing so the day it leaves Early Access.

Did it make me want to watch The Expendables 3? Not really.

This was a weird one. In theory I liked the concept. Going to a review event or whatever and talking to devs. That was cool. That said I wish they would have done a little more there. At times it felt more like it was trying to ram down your throat that "making games is so harsh :( but we managed to come out with a excellent product :)" sob story. Ending amplifies that. Although I appreciated few references towards different gaming parts of gaming industry. Graphics are pretty mediocre. Really not feeling them at all. Low resolution doesn't help there. Solid music. The portion of the actual game they chose for demo was weird. It hardly showed how your choices matter and it didn't really stir your interest towards the story. Imo it should have been just the review event no the randomized portion of story.

Did it make me want to buy Always Sometimes Monsters? Demo did nothing to sell me the game. That said I'm sucker for "your choices matter" gameplay so I'm still in. Not sure if I'm 5€ in though. I have to sleep on that. I have to give kudos for devs taking time to make this demo though.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I never felt it was intentionally so like say 3 was.

Nothing will ever top The Pain for me. I've got a gun made out of bees that shoots bees!

It wasn't quite as over the top with its enemy designs for sure. But pretty much the entire second half of Raiden's part was utter insanity. There were even some Johnny Sazaki moments, stuff involving Emma, the guards with heart boxers on in the tanker, and most importantly of all:

x5VSdfa.jpg

Then again, I love MGS2 for its breakdown of videogames and Kojima's conflicting feelings under the immense pressure to create MGS1's magic again. So that might color my opinion a little.

Tizoc

Story be damned. Any game where I can strap a weather balloon to a sheep, so that it can be collected by aircraft and brought to my mercenary home base on an oil rig is okay by me.

Yeah I like the idea fo fultoning sheep too
Heck I'll fulton all the sheep.

Yet they're 'promoting' the game for its serious story, and when u take into consideration some the elements in the story they are doing in this game, and contrast it to the silly side stuff you can do....

MGS4 was done just because fans want it to close the plot. So if you played only MGS4 as someone here did, it's right you hate it, because you can't understand pretty much nothing.
The game, in fact, considers even Metal Gear 1 and 2.

It will have the ban stated on his profile forever, and he can't play that particular game on VAC server anymore. But there are some differences: for example if you trigger a VAC ban in COD, you can't play any games with that engine. Same for CS:GO.

mgs4 was actually my first mgs game and even tho i understood absolutely nothing it was a really fun game. played it twice. It was also my first stealth game too(even my first ps3 game! still own my copy). :D

Then again, I love MGS2 for its breakdown of videogames and Kojima's conflicting feelings under the immense pressure to create MGS1's magic again. So that might color my opinion a little.

MGS2 is up there in Legendary status just for being the ultimate trolljob ever. The whole time, all of those trailers, and the fucker just trolled us.
i sat there, the whole game, waiting to play as snake again when it eventually dawned on me: I aint playing as him for the rest of the game. Oh, and this game is about memes and conspiracies and wtf happened for the last few hours?

It's not the best Metal Gear, heck it's like not even close to being my favorite. but ill hold it in high regard forever.

Shadownet

Banned
So is using the Achievement Manager a no no? Don't you get banned for using it (on Steam and on GAF?)? I remember someone was talking about it when I first joined GAF.

Ozium

when it went from genes and memes and into forced rape and racism then it 'became serious' or at least attempted to... being able to fulton a JEEP is at odds with the serious tone of the story. The stories in previous MGS were pure camp.

also the pinup models on the cardboard box is just dumb.. the girly magazines were funny and worked because it is in actual magazine and the enemy would crouch down to look at them. now they are so stupid they are distracted by what is clearly an oddly placed cutout stamped on a cardboard box...

OK

Turfster

So is using the Achievement Manager a no no? Don't you get banned for using it (on Steam and on GAF?)? I remember someone was talking about it when I first joined GAF.

If you want to use playfire, it's pretty much a nono.
Otherwise... eh, shouldn't be a problem I don't think.
(Except maybe for VAC games, but those are few and far between)

Disclaimer: I don't really give a damn about e-peen and chievos ;)
Disclaimer²: I have also never used SAM

MUnited83

For you.
when it went from genes and memes and into forced rape and racism then it 'became serious' or at least attempted to... being able to fulton a JEEP is at odds with the serious tone of the story. The stories in previous MGS were pure camp.

Again, its MGS. Believe me, the story of this one will be extremely camp as the previous entries were.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Idle Master is getting an update to make it
a little more
pretty

IoQdXKx.png

Ozium

what is the reason to use SAM? cheating playfire rewards is the only one that makes sense since you can profit off of it. (not making a moral judgment one way or another so chill)

what's the point of unlocking achievements you didn't accomplish? do people who use SAM also buy PhDs off the internet?

Sendou

what is the reason to use SAM? cheating playfire rewards is the only one that makes sense since you can profit off of it. (not making a moral judgment one way or another so chill)

what's the point of unlocking achievements you didn't accomplish? do people who use SAM also buy PhDs off the internet?

I used it to unlock two achievements I didn't get that I should have. Last TWD story achievement and the achievement for beating To The Moon.

Am I a monster?

Nabs

I think some TF2 items are tied to achievements.

Terra_Ex

Some games don't register achievements if Steam is in offline mode or if you've lost your connection to Steam. This happened to me with Walking Dead in the past since the achievements showed that I'd only completed Eps 1,2 & 5. It was annoying and in a scenario like that, if you don't want to play it through again, I don't see the issue with using it.

Sendou

Did I say that anyone who used SAM was a monster? I simply asked the purpose because I don't understand it.

Do you consider yourself a monster?

I felt a little guilty. I'm now replaying Arkham Asylum and I do plan to get all achievements too. Would I've been qualified to SAM these achievements since I already got them on 360? Hard questions of our times. Well it was an easy choice for me since this game is GOAT and always such a pleasure to play even if this is my fourth playthrough.

MUnited83

For you.

Well, you can fix this kind of shit, for example.

wpKZ3xU.png

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of electroflame, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (electroflame, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Humble Bundle #3 -- MB-CD99D925A8CE0F31 - Taken by SSPssp. 4 entrants total.
Metro 2033 -- MB-B4A7DF1A9BB303EF - Taken by 7Sins. 4 entrants total.
Humble Bundle #2 (2) -- MB-D671C6607D213986 - Taken by TheMadMan007. 4 entrants total.
Humble Bundle #2 -- MB-E4273FE03A7826E3 - Taken by Driw3r. 3 entrants total.
Civilization V -- MB-BC910EF8EEF8B256 - Taken by Cuban Legend. 2 entrants total.

t1407968107z1.png

Lomax

Most people on here used SAM to idle games to get card drops without having to install and run the game. That functionality is largely being done by IdleMaster now though. Personally I used SAM ages ago to unlock the Arkham Asylum achievements I had gotten through GFWL on Steam because I knew I'd probably never play the game through again.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
didn't you know ui design is all about blue gradients now

Oh right.... Guess I'll go ahead and make the icon round too.

Maybe to unlock achievements you should have gotten, but didn't? I had to do that with Darksiders, since a bunch of those achievements are bugged. A few other games, but that's the one that comes to mind.

Also, as much as I like Idle Master, it's a hassle to set up. I have a dupe account I idle for cards. I can have SAM up and running in 3 seconds, and idle what I need to, without hunting down cookie data.

jshackles

Also, as much as I like Idle Master, it's a hassle to set up. I have a dupe account I idle for cards. I can have SAM up and running in 3 seconds, and idle what I need to, without hunting down cookie data.

True, it's definitely easier to use SAM to idle just a single game. But grabbing that cookie data is worthwhile when you have to idle 2 or more games.

Mono

My internet used to be awful so Steam would flash in and out of offline mode. Some games don't register achievements you got in offline mode, so I've unlocked a few that I earned but didn't register in Steam's servers because my internet was down.

Didn't see anyone posting it. Life is Strange had a video during Gamescom showing some gameplay. Looks very intriguing.
Love slow walking games open to exploration with super detailed, small worlds.
Here the full video ~5mins.

And here two webms (19MB) which took absurd amounts of time to encode on my rusty old Core2DuoMobile CPU :) ....... :(
http://a.pomf.se/ffnbjb.webm
http://a.pomf.se/vlwaos.webm
You can get a feeling of what kind of game this is going to become.

Wow, what a busy day at work. Just now getting to check GAF and I see that MGS is coming to Steam? What crazy times we live in. Takes me back to when FFXIII was announced for 360 and everyone flipped out.

Lain

I was looking at Gauntlets on Steam and the languages listing grabbed my attention.
I saw full audio support, subs and interface for all the languages present but I saw no listing for Italian, so I expanded the language list to check and
5uab.png

apparently Italian is the only one with only subs. I gotta admit I was disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom