• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

aku:jiki

Compared to the exaggerated anime hell hole the last few Castlevania games have suffered from? And just a reminder, SoTN open ended type games are not the original game type of Castlevania. Nor is the multiple 3D type games that Konami is adamant about producing. LoS is either the third, or fourth type, of game to share the Castlevania brand.
Actually... They kinda are. Look up Vampire Killer on the MSX. It's obviously not as expansive and open-ended as the SOTN-style titles, but hey, it's from 1986.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I don't find the radar system comparable to the slow-down mechanic or the tracking that lets you see people through walls. MGS3 didn't have any of this and played fine.

So turn them off then, unlike Hitman: Absolution where the systems were integral to the game, GZ was fine without them. And MGS 3 still has abysmal shooting mechanics.

Splinter Cell is boring.

So you want an action stealth game, just don't make it too actiony?

1. Order of Ecclesia was great
2. Who said anything about SOTN style being the original game type?
3. The 3D castlevania games are garbage, LoS included.

1. SoTN. lol no.
2. I'm showing that Castlevania hasn't always been the same type of game.
3. So you agree that Castlevania games have been garbage before Kojima. Why were you claiming he was suddenly ruining the superb quality of Castlevania games then?

what's your point? castlevania was run into the ground and then kojima came along and drove it further into the ground... silent hill is on the same trajectory. He's done it to his own series, and other series.. why would I expect anything different with Silent Hill?

He's not responsible for ruining an otherwise quality IP. That was done before him. If anything, he is being brought in to fix the problems created by other Konami devs.

He makes it up as he goes along, but he can do some fun stuff.
What sucks about MGS5 is he is trying to make a serious story but it all falls apart because of the side stuff you can do which is so comical it makes the 'serious' story or elements he is trying to convey seem silly or out of place. Case in point

I'm sorry Kojima but how exactly can I take your story or even give a fuck about it when I can fulton all the sheep

He tried to hand over direct development after 3. He had to take over to fix MGS4 (looking for the interview but google isn't producing the link I want), when the other leads screwed up. I'm not even going to post what happened during Rising. Feel too bad for the other developers.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Valient-Xphere

The butthurter. calling me a scammer when he has a VAC ban on his account.

Haha, no shame at all.

Actually... They kinda are. Look up Vampire Killer on the MSX. It's obviously not as expansive and open-ended as the SOTN-style titles, but hey, it's from 1986.

[Vampire Killer] was never released in North America. It was in development around the same time as the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) game Castlevania, which shares the same title in Japan. The MSX2 version of Akumajō Dracula was released in Japan on October 30, 1986, a month following the NES version, making it the second game in the Castlevania series.

Umm...

Jawmuncher

Didn't see anyone posting it. Life is Strange had a video during Gamescom showing some gameplay. Looks very intriguing.
Love slow walking games open to exploration with super detailed, small worlds.
Here the full video ~5mins.

And here two webms (19MB) which took absurd amounts of time to encode on my rusty old Core2DuoMobile CPU :) ....... :(
http://a.pomf.se/ffnbjb.webm
http://a.pomf.se/vlwaos.webm
You can get a feeling of what kind of game this is going to become.

Had gone home flashbacks until the very end there. It's still on my radar.

Turfster

Didn't see anyone posting it. Life is Strange had a video during Gamescom showing some gameplay. Looks very intriguing.
Love slow walking games open to exploration with super detailed, small worlds.
Coining it now:
It's the Sands of Time of adventure games

(I am excited for this)

jblank83

What sucks about MGS5 is he is trying to make a serious story but it all falls apart because of the side stuff you can do which is so comical it makes the 'serious' story or elements he is trying to convey seem silly or out of place.

Fine by me. The story of MGS proper is terrible. I hate sitting through it.

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance is great partly because it's a satirical, irreverent, not at all serious take on Metal Gear's typical story.

derExperte

Thank you Windows System Restore, I never needed you before, even turned you off sometimes to save space but today you spared me from a complete reinstall. I wonder if one of the patches from yesterday was to blame.

Installed them again, same issue (black screen after boot) happened. Looks like a reinstall is in order, I'm surprised the thing even lasted that long since it has gone through all the W8 previews and then to the final version which wasn't even supposed to work. Thought I could wait for the W9 preview. Ahh, the smell of a fresh Windows. And the stink of another 7 day trading ban.

I'm losing my sanity on PT demo :S
It's almost midnight here and still I can't sleep, thinking about a way to solve the final riddle.
Kojima, you damned fiddle!

Guess it's time to get to it myself while Windows installs. Or read GAF on my tablet.

aku:jiki

[Vampire Killer] was never released in North America. It was in development around the same time as the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) game Castlevania, which shares the same title in Japan. The MSX2 version of Akumajō Dracula was released in Japan on October 30, 1986, a month following the NES version, making it the second game in the Castlevania series.

Umm...
"Umm" what? It was released less than a month after the NES game, meaning both versions were obviously developed concurrently. Add to that the fact that Konami has many titles originally designed for MSX and then simplified for NES release and it's quite easy to assume that the minor delay for the MSX version was probably due to a glitch or something. We'll never know for sure since it was likely not documented, but it's not far-fetched considering Konami's love for the MSX.

The point is that there's an open-ended, not 100% linear Castlevania game released less than 30 days after the game most people consider "the original". The non-linear roots for the series are most certainly there.

Annubis

Starting to try to get back into Dark Souls, die horribly within 15 mins. Dark Souls how I missed you :D

Yeah, my computer died mid Dark Souls and I started playing it again months later.
Dark Souls is not a game you want to put on hold and forget everything =/

Shadownet

Banned
Using it to unlcok achievements is frowned upon. I don't know if it's bannable on GAF.

If you want to use playfire, it's pretty much a nono.
Otherwise... eh, shouldn't be a problem I don't think.
(Except maybe for VAC games, but those are few and far between)

Disclaimer: I don't really give a damn about e-peen and chievos ;)
Disclaimer²: I have also never used SAM

best to be cautious

I asked because some people have used it to get a glitch cheevo. So I was wondering what wont get you ban and what would. thats all.

Jawmuncher

The port of MGS1 is good on PC but nowadays is equivalent to playing your copy via emulator.

I remember MGS2 just being pure hell though.
Grabbing that on the cheap and using a emulator is better than the headache of trying to play it on PC.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
"Umm" what? It was released less than a month after the NES game, meaning both versions were obviously developed concurrently. Add to that the fact that Konami has many titles originally designed for MSX and then simplified for NES release and it's quite easy to assume that the minor delay for the MSX version was probably due to a glitch or something. We'll never know for sure since it was likely not documented, but it's not far-fetched considering Konami's love for the MSX.

The point is that there's an open-ended, not 100% linear Castlevania game released less than 30 days after the game most people consider "the original". The non-linear roots for the series are most certainly there.

I really don't want to get into a technical debate, especially considering that my core point was to indicate the various incarnations of Castlevania prior to the LoS series. Mostly because Ozium seems to think that LoS being different from it's predecessors is somehow new and unique due to Kojima's influence.

I mean we can do it if you really want. But it will end up on subjective terms so I don't see the point.

Trejik

Forgot to share this,

My review of the wonderful, marvelous and completely underrated point and click Real Horror Stories.

It sucks. Honestly one of the worst games ever.

Just going through that backlog, one terrible game at a time.

derExperte

Considering the last one was so infested with uPlay that there were periods of time it was completely unplayable, it's a little hard to get excited until we know what state this one will be in.

I read somewhere else that it will be better in that regard, of course Uplay but not always online.

Wok

FEZ 2 confirmed?

go7OdXl.png

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Probably old news but:

Personalised Frontpage: more control over which games appear on the store page, for instance, new releases, popular new releases, games that are not in your account, or DLC for games you already own.

YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Let me slay all those indie games no1currs about. Huzzah, Volvo!

If I ask Steam to remove a game from my library via a support request, mentioning article 10 B, can I get rid of it? I did a small search on google first, but I wanted to confirm it here.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
If I ask Steam to remove a game from my library via a support request, mentioning article 10 B, can I get rid of it? I did a small search on google first, but I wanted to confirm it here.

Ask support to remove a game from your library? Sure, but it will probably take awhile. It's not really a high priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom