• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being a guy who's always up for a point-and-click, here are my impressions for Fester Mudd: Curse of the Gold - Episode 1: A Fistful of Pocket Lint (Whew!)

The graphics: The interface and general graphical look are all reminiscent of Monkey Island 1-era Lucasarts. So pretty good, but sometimes I wonder if that style isn't played out by now. Yes, you want to bank on nostalgia, but there are lots of good point-and-clicks with high resolution. Heck, at least meet me halfway and try something in the vein of Police Quest III. But anyway, objects were easy to spot without being too obvious and characters had personality even without big square frames to show them talking. Those are pluses in my book.

The puzzles and length: Overall pretty easy. Some puzzles did stump me for a bit, but I managed to get through the whole thing in 2 hours, which puts it on pace with the shorter Sam and Max episodes. I'd say that's pretty anemic for a point and click episode, but keep in mind there's no voice acting. You can run through dialogue a lot faster that way, and it doesn't feel like it's too short.

The story and dialogue: You play the titular character, a schlubby Westerner who can barely spell his own name but is somehow able to solve puzzles. He gets a notice from his brother about a deposit of gold, and invites him to a town. When he gets to town, though, the brother is nowhere to be found and Fester undertakes a quest to find both his family and the gold. (Hint: You don't find them in episode 1!) References abound, some better than others - I was pleased to see a reference to Freddie Pharkas, Frontier Pharmacist, but wasn't sure what Yogi Bear had to do with anything - and the jokes are similarly hit-and-miss. A great joke was built into a puzzle with a polite prisoner, but on the other hand, if you still laugh at fart jokes, I suggest you pick this one up immediately. The next episode will be called "Injun Trouble," just so you know what you're dealing with humour-wise.

The audio: The music was pretty good, even though you'll find the same leitmotif run through different instrumentation in nearly every area. Sound effects were too cartoony for my taste. I don't need to hear loud "bonk" sounds straight out of Looney Toons when a character pratfalls (and yes, if you like pratfalls, pick this one up immediately!)

The verdict: Surprisingly not bad. Inconsistent jokes and slightly easy, but solid in other areas. If you want to compare it to other Episode 1s, it's not as good as Cognition, but not as bad as Reversion. If it's still in the bundle, and you like point and clicks, this one is probably worth your time.

zkylon

zkylewd
That's with the two Burial At Sea episodes in there too. Together, they are about 4-6 hours worth of entirely new art. And the main game has a ton of really beautiful art pouring out of every crevice.

It's the price we pay.

i hope all these games came with hd texture packs for people that want em

cos i appreciate how good bio infinite looks but i can't play it on hyper ultra whatever so i'm just downloading like 20 extra gigs of mega hi-res textures that go to waste

2muiRQl.jpg

When we are playing:
t1408152600z4.png

Quote to see Server Password.

Information said:
How to join us:
In the main menu click play, click browse community servers and finally click add a server. Be sure to favorite it!

The server IP is: 64.237.38.122:27315

Alternatively, Click me.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125316617&postcount=330

Wow, baffled at how advanced modern software has become.
I have this stupid little mod for Left4Dead2 which plays a tragic orchestral score while JC Denton makes his What a shame speak over it, every time I die. Surprisingly fitting I find. And funny of course.
Now, I like to upload matches I record to Youtube. This time, after uploading the match I get a message of Matched third party content. Damn. Turns out the orchestral music in the mod is copyrighted by Koch Music.
Since I don't monetize I could have left it the way it is but I got a message that ads can be played and Koch gets money. F the Kochs.
So just when I was thinking about recoding my video and muting said passage, I see youtube has a beta feature which automatically deletes the copyrighted part. Great I think, saves me time. I click it and leave it.
This was a couple days ago. Just now I look at the edited video on my channel and skip to the part which should be muted and wow, it's not muted. The sound is still there. Only the music is"ripped". How in the... I was extremely baffled. Wow, what a time to be alive. No, I am not being sarcastic. Really, baffles my mind how good it worked out. Crazy.

I just made two webms of that to show it. One with the music intact, the other ripped by Youtube.
With Music: http://a.pomf.se/skptmx.webm
Ripped: http://a.pomf.se/kqrzvg.webm

Maybe I'll look like an old guy being fascinated by this but it's seldom I am astonished by new tech/software like I was with this.

This is hilarious.

So I was looking at cards for the recent Steam release of Bionic Heart to see how much they're currently selling at.

By far the best attempt at creative names for cards I've ever seen on Steam.

gonna go out on a limb and say this matches the depth in dialogue, storytelling, and mechanics found in other winter wolves titles

taco543

So I was at work bought a bundle so these are the scraps.
ModBot said:
Instructions for taco543:
I never wanna hear you say, I WANT IT THAT WAY.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (taco543, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dream Pinball 3D -- MB-44600DF339C3D0BA - Taken by dirtywhirlwind. 6 entrants total.
X-Blades -- MB-108E5F2257221296 - Taken by ReduxMachine. 6 entrants total.
Planets Under Attack -- MB-F9771F7D8FB81273 - Taken by trailmix16. 1 entrants total.

t1408007529z1.png

Tellaerin

So I was looking at cards for the recent Steam release of Bionic Heart to see how much they're currently selling at.

By far the best attempt at creative names for cards I've ever seen on Steam.

Now if they had reversed those names, they would have had something interesting there.

Yes, for some reason Defiance is giving cards even if you haven't spent any money on the game.

Didn't Aerena do something similar? I think it may have something to do with games that were originally pay to play and went F2P later.

textonly

Neo Member
Apparently one of the new Steam wallet currency which is Japanese Yen will come to Steam on 20th August.
http://www.4gamer.net/games/038/G003821/20140813080/

People already received a notification email like this
平素よりSteam をご利用いただきありがとうございます。
Steam の価格が日本円に変わります!
2014年8月20日の時点で、ご利用のSteam アカウントのSteam ウォレットに残高がある場合、
当日の交換レートに基づきアメリカドルから日本円に変換されます。
ウォレットの残高を確認するには、Steam クライアントあるいはSteam ウェブサイト(http://www.steampowered.com?l=japan...2390;ください。
右上角に位置するアカウント名の横に表示されます。
Steam サポートチーム
https://support.steampowered.com/index.php?l=japanese

Dear Steam User,
Steam will soon be priced in Japanese Yen!
If your Steam wallet has any money in it on August 20th, 2014, your U.S. Dollar balance will be converted to Yen, at a conversion rate dictated by market value at the time of conversion.
To view your account balance, simply log into your Steam client or the Steam website at http://www.steampowered.com. Once you have logged in, you will see your balance in the upper-right corner next to your account name.
Thanks,
The Steam Support Team
http://support.steampowered.com

MGS for PC is a fantastic news to wake up to. Although it's a bit weird that GZ doesn't have a release date yet. "Soon" is not really specific and the last time they said that, it took MGR 6 or 7 months. I really hope the wait won't be this long again. I'm sure the MGR pre-orders during the winter sale helped, but I don't think GZ would need that kind of stunt.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (JaseC, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Truffle Saga -- MB-F93296CFCAD050A2 - Taken by Knurek
Cold War -- MB-15227EF9BA30C7E1 - Taken by hepburn3d
Racer 8 -- MB-D5C1E681DF47AA74 - Taken by Widdly Scuds
US and THEM -- MB-4BB1A4E8FFDD2876 - Taken by Htown
Shiny the Firefly -- MB-1E2DD98AAAF953F5 - Taken by Teppic
Fester Mudd: Curse of the Gold -- MB-6B1B334F73A89B75 - Taken by snack
xheRJRF.gif
R.I.P.D. The Game -- MB-CD3009E23578C8CC - Taken by rainking187

Another Perspective keys are up for Groupees Retro 3 Bundle buyers.

It is a nice little game, kind of a much more low key and bare boned Braid. Worth a play if you have it or can get it very cheap.

Wok

Another Perspective keys are up for Groupees Retro 3 Bundle buyers.

It is a nice little game, kind of a much more low key and bare boned Braid. Worth a play if you have it or can get it very cheap.

Whenever I check my groupees library, I discover new Steam keys to redeem. It is like with Steam, I have no idea what I own.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Some asshat stole my copy of CoD after promising me $55. He even asked me why I'm selling it. I told him that i have cancer and probably won't be able to play it.

http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/21972907#p58077786

New account with only 4 games (all of which are F2P). Why did you even trade with him?
Bad thing is that Valve won't be able to reverse the trade :( Report him to Steam,TF2Outpost and Steamrep. I'll try to do the same

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
thanks for the help Jase.

No worries. If you did a two-way trade then you can ask Valve to reverse it. If it was a gift, though, you're out of luck: the confirmation box literally says "Please confirm that you are giving your items away and expect nothing in return."

Edit: For future reference, it doesn't matter what the buyer throws in to make the trade two-way. It can be as something as worthless as a coupon -- as long as an item is exchanged at both ends then you have a safety net. Two-way trades + account vetting = happy trading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom