• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
btw the reason why fallout new vegas is so good is because fallout new vegas is the best implementation of the fallout essence since fallout 2

it captures the irony and humor and design ideal that is fallout and executes it over and over again.

the attention to detail is immense and it's not random post nuclear shit like fallout 3 but actually threads narratives and stories that feel meaningful and will stick with you long after it's over. places like vault 11 or dead money's sierra madre or dealing with the great khans or learning mr house's story, etc. etc. the world is open from the get go, you can kill anyone, do whatever the fuck you want the way you want to do it and the game actually supports it in a meaningful and interesting way. and there's so much to do, it's unbelievable that it only took obsidian 1.5 years to make this game.

it's just so consistently good at telling stories and making you feel like a real agent in those stories, it's a fantastic piece of gaming that's unlikely to be matched for a long, long while

and fallout 3 gets ALL of that wrong. fallout 3 is like michael bay's transformers to new vegas' 1986 classic. sure megan fox is pretty hot but cmon, it's orson motherfucking wells

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
On a side note. Is it weird that I'm okay with using dark mode on my PC for GAF? But when I'm on mobile. It just look so much darker? Like its pitch black. I'm not used to it. So I'm using white mode on mobile.

I'm gonna take a guess and say your PC monitor's brightness is turned up high. I might even presume to say too high. Try turning it down super low (like 30, if it's on a 0 to 100 scale) and give it a try for about an hour. It'll feel like you've gone blind for the first few minutes, but it'll be better for your eyes in the long run. Oh, and maybe give the f.lux program a shot. That will also make you feel like everything is way too orange, but you'll also get used to it. Especially if you tell it to change your monitor temp slowly.

It's also possible your phone has it's brightness turned down super low to save on juice and you can try turning that up, particularly if you're using it outdoors.

zkylon

zkylewd
obligatory random new vegas sidequest flowchart

3192901-4514785129-jqme7.gif

that is what an rpg looks like

ViviOggi

nsV1QZk.png

RAGE is amazing. Just beat
Blue Line Station
level. What a joy to shoot non stopping waves of mutants, playing this on hard diffuculty and these fast and mobile targets give a good test to my mouse/keyboard skills, which i lost a long time ago. Never change iD Software! Amazing weapons, great mechanics, awfull plot and quests, brilliant shotgun. Can't wait for DOOM.

This guy gets it

saunderez

btw the reason why fallout new vegas is so good is because fallout new vegas is the best implementation of the fallout essence since fallout 2

it captures the irony and humor and complexity that is fallout and executes it over and over again.

the attention to detail is immense and it's not random post nuclear shit like fallout 3 but actually threads narratives and stories that feel meaningful and will stick with you long after it's over. places like vault 11 or dead money's sierra madre or dealing with the great khans or learning mr house's story, etc. etc.

it's just so consistently good at telling stories and making you feel like a real agent in those stories, it's a fantastic piece of gaming that's unlikely to be matched for a long, long while

and fallout 3 gets ALL of that wrong

fallout 3 is like michael bay's transformers to new vegas'.

sure megan fox is pretty hot but cmon orson motherfucking wells
I think we feel the same way about Fallout 2 (it's my favourite game of all time) and you're probably right about New Vegas technically being the better game...But when I think about Nu-Fallout all the fuzzies are for Fallout 3, not New Vegas. Maybe it's just because I played it first but New Vegas doesn't hold that place in my heart and nothing's going to change that. So each to their own I say.

zkylon

zkylewd
I think we feel the same way about Fallout 2 (it's my favourite game of all time) and you're probably right about New Vegas technically being the better game...But when I think about Nu-Fallout all the fuzzies are for Fallout 3, not New Vegas. Maybe it's just because I played it first but New Vegas doesn't hold that place in my heart and nothing's going to change that. So each to their own I say.
i won't tell someone that likes fo3 that his opinion is wrong as if you like it that's great and it wouldn't accomplish anything to tell you that the game you genuinely like is shit but if someone asks i'll make sure to voice my opinion as loud as possible for their sake

and i'm one of the people that tried to be cautious and not buy into the "oblivion with guns" idea.

but hey in the end it was, which for many people is enough, but not for me, specially when they're stripping my favorite series to a parody of itself.

i can appreciate at least it lead to new vegas' existence, so it was a tiny travesty we had to pay for beauty

i can live with that

just don't do it again beth, pls give fo4 to obsidian cos you're shit at making em

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Still can't believe I managed to get the Founder's Pack for 22 dollars back in April. I check every few weeks to make sure it's still there and I wasn't scammed, lol. Looking forward to trying the beta, spent so much time with 2 when it came out originally.

I also got it for $20 from a dude on Steamtrades. He claimed that it was a key from Gamersgate and he got it when there was a price error but I somehow think he stole the key from Stardock. It's still on my account though, so I don't really care

Yeah, I noticed that earlier. I'd planned to get in on the Elite Edition before the move to beta, but alas. On the bright side, it reminded me to pre-order Pillars of Eternity.

Pretty sure that there will be some traders who have stocked up on the Elite Edition

Divius

obligatory random new vegas sidequest flowchart

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11112/111120758/3192901-4514785129-jqme7.gif[IMG]

that is what an rpg looks like[/QUOTE]In my game Ted took up a fighting stance and refused to follow me through a door. I had to kill him in order to finish the quest.

JaseC

Pretty sure that there will be some traders who have stocked up on the Elite Edition

I thought the same thing, but I had a look earlier and the only two listings I found were out of date (i.e. the traders no longer had copies). The Elite sub at present has nothing beyond the base game, though, so with any luck I won't miss out on any Elite-exclusive apps.

Tellaerin

In other news: Or, news. More of a question. Fallout 3 or New Vegas? I've played the beginning of both games and i'd like to sink my teeth in one of both, but I can't choose which one! :p

I'm going to go ahead and quote myself from the last time this came up.

I felt NV's overall tone was really different from FO3's. FO3 is a really moody, atmospheric game. I spent a lot of my time wandering through the ruins of the old world, reading computer logs and exploring abandoned installations, uncovering scraps of the past. It was a melancholy, desolate world, and exploring it felt really rewarding to me. There's not nearly as much of that in NV - a lot of the focus there is on the here-and-now, dealing with the politics of the world that's sprung up in the aftermath of the apocalypse. (The NV DLC's recapture a little of that magic, which I think is part of the reason I enjoyed them more than the main quest line.) Personally, I also found the obligatory Obsidian moral ambiguity a little labored in spots (there were a couple of points where I felt like player choices had negative repercussions for no better reason than to meet a quota :p ), but that's really a matter of personal taste.

Overall, NV's a good game (much moreso with the DLC) with some strong writing, particularly when it comes to the PC's companions (companions play a far bigger part- the game feels like it was balanced around you running around with a partner rather than going solo, and there's more involved interaction with them). I still feel like FO3 edges it out as an experience, but it really comes down to what you enjoy in your RPGs.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
EDIT: Thanks to everyone who responded to my Fallout question. Your making it an even tougher choice. :p
But seriously, I enjoy reading all those different opinions.

Long story short: New Vegas if you value gameplay, RPG elements and overall aesthetics, Fallout 3 if you want an extensive open world to explore and "read".
I tend to lean towards New Vegas, but I do love some good explorational story-telling...
I think i'm going with 3. Now to continue or restart with knowledge about what kind of character I want...

JaseC

It's out now.. from Team 17, the devs behind Worms.. it's 30% off right now and has a four pack. Also includes a digital soundtrack but don't know if that's an EA purchase incentive... also it has cards.

looks interesting.

I almost forgot that I asked about this:

Hey Guys,

@JaseC the OST will be an Early Access Incentive, it will be available for purchase post-launch but you get it included (download going up tonight) with the Early access

Are there three folks here who'd like to split a four-pack? $3.50 per head. Edit: Sorted.

zkylon

zkylewd
EDIT: Thanks to everyone who responded to my Fallout question. Your making it an even tougher choice. :p
But seriously, I enjoy reading all those different opinions.

I tend to lean towards New Vegas, but I do love some good explorational story-telling...
I think i'm going with 3. Now to continue or restart with knowledge about what kind of character I want...

dam, another lost soul

i failed you tim cain

i'm sorry

saunderez

i won't tell someone that likes fo3 that his opinion is wrong as if you like it that's great and it wouldn't accomplish anything to tell you that the game you genuinely like is shit but if someone asks i'll make sure to voice my opinion as loud as possible for their sake

and i'm one of the people that tried to be cautious and not buy into the "oblivion with guns" idea.

but hey in the end it was, which for many people is enough, but not for me, specially when they're stripping my favorite series to a parody of itself.

i can appreciate at least it lead to new vegas' existence, so it was a tiny travesty we had to pay for beauty

i can live with that

just don't do it again beth, pls give fo4 to obsidian cos you're shit at making em

Maybe theres a happy medium where Bethesda designs the set pieces. I'll never forget the whole Liberty Prime part of Fallout 3. I want at least 1 set piece like that in a Fallout 4. Just a single "OMG this is completely nuts I can't believe it's happening" moment.

zkylon

zkylewd
Maybe theres a happy medium where Bethesda designs the set pieces. I'll never forget the whole Liberty Prime part of Fallout 3. I want at least 1 set piece like that in a Fallout 4. Just a single "OMG this is completely nuts I can't believe it's happening" moment.
i would rather not

just take turns, you can have your bethesda fallout and i can have my obsidian fallout and we're both happy

i don't really care about names so i wouldn't mind if obsidian just did a kickstarter for a fallout-esque game and double happy, beth can keep burning my childhood to the ground but i get a fresh new childhood

fallout is an extremely important game for me, bethesda making games i don't like won't take that away but i would rather if i get the choice of a new one to have it as beth-free as possible

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
dam, another lost soul

i failed you tim cain

i'm sorry
I hadn't read your post yet. And now i'm back in the doubtzone.
Gameplay and story-wise i'm leaning towards New Vegas (besides, every game or movie opening with a Dean Martin song is awesome), but the way FO3's exploration is described is drawing me towards Bethesda's efforts.

Though decisions time.

The thing I remember most about Fallout 3's exploration is getting to a place where I clearly should be able to pass through to get to the next zone but instead have to crawl through a sewer for 20 minutes. Still loved the game and put hundreds of hours into the 360/PC version, should go back to it one of these days and see how it holds up post New Vegas

Which I also need to get back to on the PC side of things.

JaseC

Is there a way to access my wishlist in Big Picture?

From BPM's main menu, select your name, switch to the "Profile" tab, then select "View xxxx more games". A new browser window will open showing your full games list and from here you can select the "Wishlist" tab using your controller.

saunderez

The thing I remember most about Fallout 3's exploration is getting to a place where I clearly should be able to pass through to get to the next zone but instead have to crawl through a sewer for 20 minutes. Still loved the game and put hundreds of hours into the 360/PC version, should go back to it one of these days and see how it holds up post New Vegas

Yeah the Metro travel got a bit tedious. Outside of the CBD travel was fine but getting into the individual segments of it got old fast.

From BPM's main menu, select your name, switch to the profile tab, then select "View xxxx more games". A new tab will open showing your full games list and from here you can select the "Wishlist" tab using your controller.
Thanks.
So it makes you go through the website. No direct menu in BP.
That's some piss poor integration.

tylerf

As a complete package New Vegas is better but in terms of atmosphere I thought 3 was superior. A lot of credit probably goes to the soundtrack though.

zkylon

zkylewd
I hadn't read your post yet. And now i'm back in the doubtzone.
Gameplay and story-wise i'm leaning towards New Vegas (besides, every game or movie opening with a Dean Martin song is awesome), but the way FO3's exploration is described is drawing me towards Bethesda's efforts.

Though decisions time.
personally i do agree that SOME parts about fallout 3 in that respect are actually very well done.

in particular i really enjoyed exploring the first store you're sent off which imo was actually a very well designed and interesting area. there are a few other places like that that are also really well done

new vegas is indeed more wordy, apparently it's the game with the most voiceacting of all times, and may not rely so much on environmental storytelling as fo3, but it still has lots of it

vaults in particular are very interesting, with the much famed vault 11 as probably one of the best areas in the whole series. vault 11 features not a single living person and is all told through logs and posters and things you get to see. there are more places like that and there is lot of attention to detail in how the living conditions of the various factions work, you can tell how communities sustain themselves by just looking at how the towns are made up.

and fallout 3 for all of its famed environmental storytelling, features also a lot of actual traditional storytelling, which is most if not all terrible. there is actually a town that survives 200 years of nuclear post-apocalypse by kicking out all the people that's over 16 years old. there's a town that's actually two shacks, one consisting of a crazy lady that tries to do nuka cola tours and the other housing a dude that just wants to bone the crazy lady. there's a playboy dude with hookers or something and a giant robot and faction dedicated to tell androids that think they're human that they're really androids and a guy that wants you to nuke a whole town cos it blocks his view. it's filled with this campy saints row crap that while sometimes works (
the only legitimately funny example i can think of is the thomas jefferson or whatever american famous dude it was robot, that was actually really cool and funny
), more often than not is just flat out awful and makes me go skip skip skip

fallout 3 is not dark souls, it's not half life or thief or any other actual game that used level design to say anything meaningful. it has a teddy bear close to a bloody chain and you're supposed to assume some kid got enslaved there or something. and that's it. a few times this works and you get a cool scene out of it. yes, exploring ruins is cool. if you liked skyrim this is it, lots of caves and exploring and it's fun but it's not any deeper than skyrim and oblivion. it's a goofy time waster with an interesting license.

the same can be said about new vegas' exploring (a bit less, if you want to please fo3 fans), you trade green ruins and subways for yellow desert and canyons, and you get a kickass script to go along with it and some of the best quest design since arcanum

edit: also yes i agree ruins are more interesting looking than a desert. you look at a fo3 screenshot and it looks evocative and shit. the subway sections really hurt this but you can mostly skip em with fast travel. building locations are also pretty alright as long as they're filled with enemies since friendlies will just spout terrible fanfiction. fortunately new vegas has you covered in this regard with its dlc, so no need to play fo3 if you want cool looking ruins and moody stuff

Click the group chat button and then go back to the Friends menu. You'll see the chat window when you switch to the "Groups" tab.
That seems so incredibly weird. So basically I can get invited to one, but can't start one? (If I'm looking at all the context menus correctly here). Regardless, thanks! That solves a lot of issues with game nights and things.

You know this means I'm gonna make you my guinea pig real quick, right?

Yup I just got fucking scammed.
He stopped accepting new friends request. Wrote to Valve aswell, I do hope this piece of filth gets the gift revoked at least. My own mother died of glioblastoma just a year ago, so this prick hit a rather open wound.
Bernardo, is there a way to retrace his main?
Oh man, sorry to hear both of these. Get well Gaf and stay safe.
And to loose COD:AW of all things... looks so much fun.
Evrain, sorry for your loss :(

Tellaerin

I remember a few spots like that, but nothing so bad that it put me off of exploring. New Vegas' invisible walls, on the other hand, annoyed the crap out of me. (Developers, please don't try to funnel me down your carefully-laid roads by throwing "unclimbable" slopes and "impassable" rock formations in the player's path, especially when you should clearly be able to pass them if not for the big ol' invisible blocking volumes you threw around the world geometry.)

personally i do agree that SOME parts about fallout 3 in that respect are actually very well done.

You're damning FO3 with faint praise, man. There's a lot more to the environmental storytelling in the game than you're giving it credit for, in particular. And that post is also awfully spoilerish, especially when you've got someone who hasn't played past the beginning of either game following the conversation.

Maxwood

Does New Vegas have any "necesarry" DLC or mods?

Vlad

Wow, baffled at how advanced modern software has become.
I have this stupid little mod for Left4Dead2 which plays a tragic orchestral score while JC Denton makes his What a shame speak over it, every time I die. Surprisingly fitting I find. And funny of course.
Now, I like to upload matches I record to Youtube. This time, after uploading the match I get a message of Matched third party content. Damn. Turns out the orchestral music in the mod is copyrighted by Koch Music.
Since I don't monetize I could have left it the way it is but I got a message that ads can be played and Koch gets money. F the Kochs.
So just when I was thinking about recoding my video and muting said passage, I see youtube has a beta feature which automatically deletes the copyrighted part. Great I think, saves me time. I click it and leave it.
This was a couple days ago. Just now I look at the edited video on my channel and skip to the part which should be muted and wow, it's not muted. The sound is still there. Only the music is"ripped". How in the... I was extremely baffled. Wow, what a time to be alive. No, I am not being sarcastic. Really, baffles my mind how good it worked out. Crazy.

I just made two webms of that to show it. One with the music intact, the other ripped by Youtube.
With Music: http://a.pomf.se/skptmx.webm
Ripped: http://a.pomf.se/kqrzvg.webm

Maybe I'll look like an old guy being fascinated by this but it's seldom I am astonished by new tech/software like I was with this.

I think if you're old enough to remember the days pre-internet and the computers we had back then (I remember playing games on my parents' C64), then it's quite easy to be amazed by what we have now if you take a step back and look at it. Not only is there a website out there with access to practically every video you could possibly want to look at, but more and more of us have the connection speeds to actually be able to stream these videos!

I still have to bite back a "when I was your age" rant when I hear someone complain that some several-hundred megabyte download is going to take five whole minutes to finish, when I remember a time when you would have to leave your computer on for days for the same size download, and hope that the connection didn't crap out in the meantime.

Ozium

Went to Walmart the other day, but can't find any steam wallet cards :(

go to Target..

They have them there confirmed by me. They have them at every Target here.. I live where Target is headquartered tho so it might be something they are phasing in as someone told me they couldn't find them at their Target..

at target it's in the game section then the pc game cards, btw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom