• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

We all agree that GFWL was a fucking stupid, stupid move on their part but in the end, they made good PC games/ports before that and they'll keep bringing stuff out after it, too. Just cross your fingers that they don't get any more terrible ideas.

Well the idea of unifying the player base and game version via GFWL was a good idea, though Valve made moves in this direction with moving away from WON and making Steam for Counter Strike 1.6 (though we all know they had way bigger plans). It was the whole pay to play online via a P2P infrastructure that went down like a lead balloon and thank christ it did or who knows where we might be now.

The ships in Galactic Civilizations 3 look so damn good, great detail and lighting. Can't wait to see what some of the more creative players come up with, I never got to crazy with mine.

GMG stopped having great deals long before that. Don't remember exactly when but there was definitely a period where the big games stopped being coupon eligible and you got cash back instead....and then they waned back on those offers.

Still decent things from time to time though, got Castlevania LoS for around 45 dollars which is certainly better than the 60 it went for.

The good times really stopped after last year's winter sale. It was around that time that coupons went from being 20% off anything, regardless of price, to 20% off orders of minimum $10.

I still go on every now and then, but I rarely see deals on the level of the $6 ME3 deluxe edition or some of the ridiculously cheap games. There was one day during their summer sale when they had 20% off anything with no restrictions, but that's it.

The Legendary Edition of Skyrim is 75% off over at Ubisoft's store (AUD$12.50 for Aussies).

Opening a uPlay link from Switzerland is always a fun experience

HmxOSiQ.png

I don't even know where to begin.

FWIW Ikaruga just got patched yesterday. No idea if that means it sold enough to keep caring or if Treasure is just dedicated to their craft but I did my part on day one.

Dr Dogg

Opening a uPlay link from Switzerland is always a fun experience

I don't even know where to begin.

I like the way France is spelt in English, especially odd coming from a French company Edit then again it is country names not languages so that make me a dummy. Speaking of Switzerland it was always good watching Roberto Di Matteo conduct press conferences while he was at a Champions League tie with Chelsea due to how effortlessly he swapped English for Italian to German and still had the same charm about him.

I like the way France is spelt in English, especially odd coming from a French company Edit then again it is country names not languages so that make me a dummy.

It is still confusing :p

Speaking of Switzerland it was always good watching Roberto Di Matteo conduct press conferences while he was at a Champions League tie with Chelsea due to how effortlessly he swapped English for Italian to German and still had the same charm about him.

Today I learned he was born a short train ride from where I live. Pretty cool.

Asgaro

How stable is the Steam Beta channel? Is it worth it to switch to?

I have been using Chrome's Beta channel for years now and never had any significant bugs that made me switch to the Stable channel.
Is it the same with Steam?

(Btw, fellow Chrome 64-bit users: the 64-bit Beta channel today implemented a new font system. Fonts look a LOT more clearer now.
In the past I had to browse NeoGAF with a 110% zoom; now I can use the default size without any issues.
EDIT: Scratch that: it seems it's a system wide change due to my latest Windows updates. The font in for example IE also changed.
)

I have been using Chrome's Beta channel for years now and never had any significant bugs that made me switch to the Stable channel.

(Btw, fellow Chrome 64-bit users: the 64-bit Beta channel today implemented a new font system. Fonts look a LOT more clearer now.
In the past I had to browse NeoGAF with a 110% zoom; now I can use the default size without any issues.)

I've used the beta since it was an option(been long enough that I don't remember when that was) and have only run into issues once where there was an infinite reload bug that required a fix of some sort. Was a while ago, you can feel safe using it.

Morning steamgaf, how is everyone? Going to finally play valient hearts once again, its been forever since I played it. Going to try amd finish it to clear another one out of the backlog :)

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of an anonymous benefactor, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys and 1 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

3 STARS OF DESTINY -- MB-391EB1BF7755B1E4 - Taken by WeaselJCD. 1 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
100% ORANGE JUICE (Desura) -- MB-93D9BD8E13BC48C6 - Taken by kulapik. 1 entrants total.
BALLPOINT UNIVERSE -- MB-C4C77D22654B5D1D - Taken by Majukun. 2 entrants total.

t1408029070z1.png

Anustart

Started up Tomb Raider this morning. Game is absolutely gorgeous. Just killed a deer, and made it back to camp before I had to get ready for work. Liking it so far!

Ran the benchmark with graphics set to ultimate, lowest fps was 30, avg 43, 60 max.

What can I drop to run a constant 60? Also, is this TressFX supposed to look so wonky? That hair is a mass of spider legs flying around at 100mph.

Started up Tomb Raider this morning. Game is absolutely gorgeous. Just killed a deer, and made it back to camp before I had to get ready for work. Liking it so far!

Ran the benchmark with graphics set to ultimate, lowest fps was 30, avg 43, 60 max.

What can I drop to run a constant 60? Also, is this TressFX supposed to look so wonky? That hair is a mass of spider legs flying around at 100mph.
Haha the hair was like that for me too! That game was good brainless fun :)

Dr Dogg

It is still confusing :p

Today I learned he was born a short train ride from where I live. Pretty cool.

Langue or country selectors on gaming websites let alone store fronts have always been a bit funny. It used to be 'You speak English? Well you must be from the US then' with Bioware tipping the balance and having a Canadian flag.

Robbie is a cool dude and one of the nice guys in football.

You could say he was playing with fire, heh. Yeah I'll get my coat.

Newblade

Alright.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

3 STARS OF DESTINY -- MB-999C04DB5A77951E - Taken by Komedy
Fester Mudd: Curse of the Gold - Episode 1 -- MB-392CDE7ABA06CCDF - Taken by Sammichu
BALLPOINT UNIVERSE - INFINITE -- MB-8EB6DD93CEFADA17 - Taken by Capt.Haddock

Turning TressFx off will bring your framerate up by a lot if you're using an Nvidia card. I thought it looked better than the alternative most of the time but it's not worth the performance cost unless you're running a higher end card. Make sure you don't have the anti aliasing at max as well, believe the game has built in super sampling which would kill your FPS if you aren't using an enthusiast level card.

I'm going to give Divinity: Dragon Commander a go at lunch today. I'll try to see if I can formulate some opinions for anyone interested.

The Waterloo level on Psychonauts (which I felt was the best level by far) is to thank for that game flying up my backlog.

kiyomi

Yeah, it's a seriously good looking game. I haven't checked what kind of framerate I'm getting in-game since I don't quite trust the benchmark (IIRC I was getting better results with one or two options set higher), but I find it very very playable and I'm guessing close to a constant 60 with most settings at High, textures on Ultra. On a pretty modest GPU, too.

Anustart

Turning TressFx off will bring your framerate up by a lot if you're using an Nvidia card. I thought it looked better than the alternative most of the time but it's not worth the performance cost unless you're running a higher end card. Make sure you don't have the anti aliasing at max as well, believe the game has built in super sampling which would kill your FPS if you aren't using an enthusiast level card.

Only have a 760 4gb. So I'll say goodby to tressfx then!

neoemonk

In the past I had to browse NeoGAF with a 110% zoom; now I can use the default size without any issues.
EDIT: Scratch that: it seems it's a system wide change due to my latest Windows updates. The font in for example IE also changed.
)

I had an issue with in-home streaming last week. Host and client both running beta. Host machine is Win 8.1 64-bit and client is OS X. I was getting sound but a black screen. I flipped my client to stable and everything worked fine. This was the only issue I ever had with their beta releases.

Lomax

)

The biggest downside to the Steam beta channel is frequent updates, sometimes multiple in a day. I ended up opting out because I just got tired of that and didn't feel like it was worth it, usually the stable updates aren't more than a few weeks behind and they are far less frequent. Occasionally the Beta channel will get a weird bug but usually they get fixed pretty quick.

Yeah it broke way too often to be worthwhile IMO. And like physx particles/debris it sometimes didn't match the area light well and looked awkward.

Hanging upside down was ridiculous. Not sure how they looked at that and said it was alright to call a defining feature.

Maybe in the future it'll look better, who knows.

BruteUA

Yeah the Metro travel got a bit tedious. Outside of the CBD travel was fine but getting into the individual segments of it got old fast.

I haven't played this yet, but if the game has you going through the DC Metro, making it tedious is an accurate depiction of the real DC Metro system.

I think if you're old enough to remember the days pre-internet and the computers we had back then (I remember playing games on my parents' C64), then it's quite easy to be amazed by what we have now if you take a step back and look at it. Not only is there a website out there with access to practically every video you could possibly want to look at, but more and more of us have the connection speeds to actually be able to stream these videos!
I still have to bite back a "when I was your age" rant when I hear someone complain that some several-hundred megabyte download is going to take five whole minutes to finish, when I remember a time when you would have to leave your computer on for days for the same size download, and hope that the connection didn't crap out in the meantime.
Haha, tell me about it. I was using computers/game consoles for years without the Internet being available. It was like entering the future from one day to the other, when we first hooked up our modem and went "online". I clearly remember being astonished that I wrote something and a person far away in America responded to me within mere minutes. Holy smokes! You remember having to choose between the telephone being active or the internet? Tough choices had been made, when I cancelled a 800MB download mere(!) hours before completion. Just because we needed to use the phone. Ha.
So much changed so fast. Really fascinating.

I haven't played this yet, but if the game has you going through the DC Metro, making it tedious is an accurate depiction of the real DC Metro system.

Fallout 3 basically has 2-3 types of dungeons but it's about 60-70% underground metros that look identical to each other. It gets pretty old by the end of it. It's one of the reasons i haven't exactly jumped into New Vegas even though i did really like F3.

Dr Dogg

It looks quite nice during gameplay due to the camera distance, but, yeah, it falls apart a bit during cutscenes.

I used to get a kick out of turing it off then back on again in the options and Poof! Hairspolsion!

On an older release before it was patched to work more efficiently on Nvidia cards Lara's hair used to freak out if you could get a high enough framerate. Didn't notice it until I was playing around with the benchmark tool but at around 80fps her hair started to become unstable.

Every morning when I boot up my pc and steam I get a few updates for games. Every day..yet not ONE of them comes with patch notes. If they do have update notes its usually valve games. It should be mandatory that these devs have one person type up a damn note on what is updated. In fact, Risen 2 has an update upcoming on my list for some reason. I'm sure there will be no update note for it.

Now there is there is a "recently updated" section on the main page but none of the games that are updated for me are ever there. Sorry for the morning rant. I need some coffee!

Komedy

Neo Member
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Komedy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Memories of a Vagabond -- MB-F736F4E1E37499C9 - Taken by Terra_Ex
Metro Last Night Complete Edition -- MB-7412F2FEE7CEA7EE - Taken by freshVeggie
Tomb Raider -- MB-CE61D88E15B5830E - Taken by Lomax
Valley without Wind Pack 1&2 -- MB-16B52B07889F38E1[/QUOTE]

Sharkiller

So sad that gmg has so bad sales for a long time. low discounts, restriction for coupons, they only put on sale the worst version of a game (like a game with a lot of dlcs, complete versions, bundles, they put only the standard version without anything. no dlcs, no complete versions, lame).
Looks like now they are known they dont care with the good prices anymore.

Komedy

Neo Member
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Komedy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Memories of a Vagabond -- MB-F736F4E1E37499C9 - Taken by Terra_Ex
Metro Last Night Complete Edition -- MB-7412F2FEE7CEA7EE - Taken by freshVeggie
Tomb Raider -- MB-CE61D88E15B5830E - Taken by Lomax
Valley without Wind Pack 1&2 -- MB-16B52B07889F38E1[/QUOTE]

MNC

Somehow when playing Metal Gear Rising it always takes 2 screenshots instead of two. I just found out it actually makes it really easy to make 3D (crosseyed) screenshots with it! Especially during cutscenes that revolve around a subject. I'll post them up later tonight if people are interested. Will definitely experiment more with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom