• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine that a very large amount of people picking up a PS4 don't game on the PC primarily and are more than satisfied by the multiplatform titles. Early 14 has Before Dawn, Bloodborne, The Order, and other things one imagines in terms of exclusives.

image.php

Seriously though, the game looks great, can't wait.

Yeah, I've been looking forward to Shadowgate as well (I was a backer on the original kickstarter).

Actually, so far, I have a pretty good ratio with kickstarters that I've joined being decent.

The fuck. You serious? I bought my PS4 because I know Sony will justify my purchase with a long range of 1st party titles and I guess many millions too.

That's a grossingly high level of generalizing.
In the current, it seems like Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 are what people are touting as "the reasons" for a PS4 and not the future prospects of first party support. It's a pretty common theme atm.

Turfster

Daily Awesomenauts 80% off
Weekend
  • Sanctum 2 85% off FREE WEEKEND
  • Kalypso Anniverary Weekend up to 85% off

Humble Daily Kill the Bad Guy 33% off

Lol @ dis Chivalry archer nerf

Archer Balances-
The Archer class has been slightly reworked **
-Archers no longer have an added backstab damage bonus when attacking from behind
-Bolts, Arrows and Stones no longer flinch players. Instead they will remove the sprint state from players hit

get fucked archers

backstab removal is well deserved, archers can already deal tons of damage across the map, there's no reason to give them a melee buff on top of that
flinch was one of the things that made (good) archers a support class though, i don't know how i feel it being gone, i'll have to play a bit to see i guess

but yeah, the class really had it coming

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It looks like Shadowgate has different difficulty modes in the new version - the most difficult of which mimics the difficulty found in the original game.

I haven't decided if I'm going to start on the hardest difficulty, or start on the lowest and work my way up. I'm sure I'll be replaying it several times either way.

FloatOn

Not really, Dark Souls 2 just isn't as good as the other two games. World is completely scattershot and incoherent, half the areas in the game are completely flat with no lighting, they ruined the PVP, the buildup to the end of the game non-existent, and all sorts of other weird things. Still a good game but it feels rushed.

I was hugely disappointed by Dark Souls 2 for exactly these reasons. I still haven't even finished the game despite picking up the dlc for it recently as well.

I still need to get around DeS to see what all the fuss is about but I suspect that Dark Souls will always hold that special place in my cold dead heart.

fantomena

In the current, it seems like Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 are what people are touting as "the reasons" for a PS4 and not the future prospects of first party support. It's a pretty common theme atm.

Im not so hyped for Uncharted 4. Im more hyped for Bloodborne, Rime, Everybodys Gone to the Rapture, Driveclub and The Order. Might miss something.

At the moment, Bloodborne is the only PS4 game that's on my radar. And I think one game isn't enough to justify a purchase.

Same for me as well, RiME I would definitely purchase if I already had one but it doesn't really help justify the cost. Oh and maybe Destiny, haven't played it yet so not sure if I want another Borderlands type game with shittons of DLC.

Same with Xbox One though honestly too, only games I'm really interested in are the MCC, Halo 5 (maybe), and Sunset Overdrive. Two of those which may be coming to PC at a later date anyways.

r3n4ud

It looks like Shadowgate has different difficulty modes in the new version - the most difficult of which mimics the difficulty found in the original game.

I haven't decided if I'm going to start on the hardest difficulty, or start on the lowest and work my way up. I'm sure I'll be replaying it several times either way.
Glad it has difficulty modes. I'm not exactly a gaming god and like to enjoy games where I can actually make progress.

Im not so hyped for Uncharted 4. Im more hyped for Bloodborne, Rime, Everybodys Gone to the Rapture, Driveclub and The Order. Might miss something.

I'm really excited for the Order. I don't suddenly despise third person shooters and the promise of environmental destructibility combined with the best real time graphics I've seen a game make it look pretty appealing. Crazy to see a console game with that kind of IQ.

I find it hard to worry about when games are coming. Between having a PC and the three platforms and you know, actually making a living there's always something to play. About to start a job that will have me working 3 weeks on, 1 off so good bye most gaming!

Dr Dogg

Why would I waste £350 on a PS4 when I may as well waste it on another new monitor (seeing as that's my thing to do lately). Really it's sort of like the same outcome, I get to experience pretty much the same games but not quite as pretty as the more costly purchase :p

Thanks for taking a look.
This all sounds moderately promising, for being a first outing of the engine and "just" a football game. I don't imagine sports fans are going nuclear about the lack of options.

Keeping my expectations somewhat optimistic.

Yeah from my brief experience of Ground Zeroes on PS3, PES14 is hardly using the engine to any of the strengths that either that demonstrates or that loopy lighting demo KojiPro showed off. PES14 hardly touches the available resources of my PC but does spread it's threads around all 4 cores quite evenly, plus the renderer is DX9 so I might have a look at GeDoSaTo when I get back and see if that a possibility. Though I doubt Ground Zeroes or The Phantom Pain would be DX9 games, though if so they'd be running Remember Me and Mirrors Edge close for the best looking ones yet.

Turfster

Sounds like an entertaining read, at least you're not shitting on people.

The cliffnotes version:
  • they learned nothing about making an open world game more fun from other games that did it better in the years since 4
  • calling what passed for writing a "gripping masterpiece" is laughable, and calling it satire is just plain sadmaking
  • arbitrary roadblocking is insulting your player, forcing them to do things and stick with a character they don't want to play is death to your game
  • all the UIs are an absolute mess and a crime against UI 101
  • Online? What online? (probably fixed by now, but this was like, over a month after release or something)

If you don't play on PC, the PS4 is a pretty decent deal even now. A handful of exclusives and not having to play multiplats on PS3 or 360 is worth the price of admission imo :p

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Glad it has difficulty modes. I'm not exactly a gaming god and like to enjoy games where I can actually make progress.

If you haven't played Shadowgate previously, I definitely recommend starting on the lower difficulty level.

For me, one of the best parts about the game is that the music changes not only based on your location in the game, but also based on what's going on around you. I vividly remember the music that plays when your torch starts running low, for example. Very tense.

I'm overjoyed that they're bringing back the option to play with the old school music and text box ("retro mode"). I'm also completely over the moon that they're including 50 Steam achievements. I can't wait to 100% this one.

Obviously I'm hitting "buy" as soon as it's available.

The cliffnotes version:
  • they learned nothing about making an open world game more fun from other games that did it better in the years since 4
  • calling what passed for writing a "gripping masterpiece" is laughable, and calling it satire is just plain sadmaking
  • arbitrary roadblocking is insulting your player, forcing them to do things and stick with a character they don't want to play is death to your game
  • Online? What online? (probably fixed by now, but this was like, over a month after release or something)

What roadblocking? You can go to the countryside as Franklin if you want to.

I had more fun driving through Los Santos and having completely crazy, random interactions with the pedestrians and world than any horrible checklist sidequest in Saint's Row. Stuffing people into trunks in Sleeping Dogs was really neat though.

Parsnip

I own one and for me it's just Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 =/

Same for me as well, RiME I would definitely purchase if I already had one but it doesn't really help justify the cost. Oh and maybe Destiny, haven't played it yet so not sure if I want another Borderlands type game with shittons of DLC.

Same with Xbox One though honestly too, only games I'm really interested in are the MCC, Halo 5 (maybe), and Sunset Overdrive. Two of those which may be coming to PC at a later date anyways.

I suspect both systems will get there eventually for me at least, but this is probably the first generation of systems that I feel very indifferent about. Usually the new hardware hype gets me even if the games aren't there yet, but this time I'm just happy being on PC.

r3n4ud

If you haven't played Shadowgate previously, I definitely recommend starting on the lower difficulty level.

For me, one of the best parts about the game is that the music changes not only based on your location in the game, but also based on what's going on around you. I vividly remember the music that plays when your torch starts running low, for example. Very tense.

I'm overjoyed that they're bringing back the option to play with the old school music and text box ("retro mode"). I'm also completely over the moon that they're including 50 Steam achievements. I can't wait to 100% this one.

Obviously I'm hitting "buy" as soon as it's available.

Wow, ya. That sounds awesome!

The cliffnotes version:

I heard similar complaints elsewhere, but my only problems with 4 were:
1) driving needed refinement
2) gunplay needed improvement
3) missions were so goddamn boring along with no checkpoints and overly long. Also, super repetitive.

V seems to fix most of what I disliked, and unfortunately the only GTA-like game that was awesome was Sleeping Dogs. Saints Row is too bullet spongy for my tastes as a game but is fun to watch.

I'm really excited for the Order. I don't suddenly despise third person shooters and the promise of environmental destructibility combined with the best real time graphics I've seen a game make it look pretty appealing. Crazy to see a console game with that kind of IQ.

I find it hard to worry about when games are coming. Between having a PC and the three platforms and you know, actually making a living there's always something to play. About to start a job that will have me working 3 weeks on, 1 off so good bye most gaming!

Well, I don't hate third person shooters either and I am looking forward to Uncharted 4. The Order however looks like some linear-ass corridor shooter with little in terms of level design. Uncharted isn't exactly Max Payne but it has some decent combat encounters.

Grief.exe

I suspect both systems will get there eventually for me at least, but this is probably the first generation of systems that I feel very indifferent about. Usually the new hardware hype gets me even if the games aren't there yet, but this time I'm just happy being on PC.

The WiiU and 3DS are going to have a very strong fall.

Turfster

What roadblocking? You can go to the countryside as Franklin if you want to.
"And now, you must play with this character and experience his amazing story. No, you can't switch back to the others. They're 'busy'. Be this douche and do this now, and we're not continuing until you do it."
I'm not 5 years old any more, and I don't want to be patronised and insulted by a game I paid money for, thank you =p

Well, I don't hate third person shooters either and I am looking forward to Uncharted 4. The Order however looks like some linear-ass corridor shooter with little in terms of level design. Uncharted isn't exactly Max Payne but it has some decent combat encounters.

It seems like a much more methodical shooter along the lines of the Last of Us where you're much more fragile. What really sets Uncharted apart and makes the combat so fun for me is the mobility and verticality present in the combat scenarios. You can roll around, climb around multiple levels, shoot one enemy and take out the next with melee, duck in and out of the water, and so on.

"And now, you must play with this character and experience his amazing story. No, you can't switch back to the others. They're 'busy'. Be this douche and do this now, and we're not continuing until you do it."
I'm not 5 years old any more, and I don't want to be patronised and insulted by a game I paid money for, thank you =p

That really doesn't make any sense. Like any story mode at times certain events have to transpire to move on. If you hate the story that much does it really matter what character you play as?

Deitus

I'm with Turfster on GTA V. Every open world game has a point where driving around the city listening to the radio stops being satisfying. I hit that point earlier than normal in GTA V, and then there just wasn't anything in the core gameplay to keep me interested. The mission design is absolutely atrocious outside of a handful of decent heist missions.

Maybe I'll go back and finish the game some day when enough time has passed that Los Santos feels fresh again. Maybe.

Edit: It's not that GTA is necessarily bad. It's just overall burnout on that style of open world game, and them not really doing enough to shake up the formula (character switching is a neat idea, but it overall doesn't fix the problems). It's the same issue with the Assassin's Creed series. 2 was great, and so was Brotherhood. Revelations started to drag, and by the time I got done with 3 I just wanted nothing to do with the franchise until they make some drastic changes.

I'm with Turfster on GTA V. Every open world game has a point where driving around the city listening to the radio stops being satisfying. I hit that point earlier than normal in GTA V, and then there just wasn't anything in the core gameplay to keep me interested. The mission design is absolutely atrocious outside of a handful of decent heist missions.

Maybe I'll go back and finish the game some day when enough time has passed that Los Santos feels fresh again. Maybe.
my favorite heist ended up being the first one tbh, the rest were good but the first one was the most fun for me. 2nd best was the one where you get to wear a shit ton of armor and start shooting shit up

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
but... LittleBigPlanet D: its okay, I'll play enough lbp for the both of us <3
A saint. A monolith of a man.

When others look into the void and cast their gaze away, he stares intently, to challenge the beast that growls and gnashes its teeth from beyond the beyond.

He shall play Little Big Planet so that you must not.

Marvel at him, friends, but do not envy him.

jshackles

There's some great changes. For instance, I've somehow had a game tagged for two categories this entire time. Only now, thanks to this update, could I discover that it was The Last Remnant.

A shame that the store's font is now terrible.

True, but that's changing soon too. In fact, given the amount of code that's already been leaked, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a new Steam storefront by the time the current beta cycle ends.

A saint. A monolith of a man.

When others look into the void and cast their gaze away, he stares intently, to challenge the beast that growls and gnashes its teeth from beyond the beyond.

He shall play Little Big Planet so that you must not.

Marvel at him, friends, but do not envy him.

Hero Prinny bless Neogaf.

It seems like a much more methodical shooter along the lines of the Last of Us where you're much more fragile. What really sets Uncharted apart and makes the combat so fun for me is the mobility and verticality present in the combat scenarios. You can roll around, climb around multiple levels, shoot one enemy and take out the next with melee, duck in and out of the water, and so on.

If it is, they're doing a terrible job at selling it :p

Jawmuncher

Does GTAV have taxis still?
I refuse to drive when I can in open work games mainly for larger ones like GTA. Never drove in 4 since it was just busy work.

Does GTAV have taxis still?
I refuse to drive when I can in open work games mainly for larger ones like GTA. Never drove in 4 since it was just busy work.

Of course. GTA V(and Read Dead first) added a lot of random events that can occur while driving in the world. The most extensive ones involve Trevor but there are some neat ones for another characters.

Shadownet

Banned
True, but that's changing soon too. In fact, given the amount of code that's already been leaked, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a new Steam storefront by the time the current beta cycle ends.

I just downloaded the new Idle Master update. Look very pretty. Thank you for this jshackles. :)

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
If it is, they're doing a terrible job at selling it :p

Hey, it is shaping up to be an incredibly immersive experience. In one segment you're being chased by a werewolf and your character is injured.

Like magic, a button prompt comes up that suggests you take some pills to heal yourself. Think of the ramifications.

Do you take the pills or do you not? Anything can happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom