• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

garath

Don't follow me, read up and decide for yourself :p I don't want to be accountable for if you lose anything.

And for NIP vs Epsilon it's gonna be a close game so I'd say small to medium. Not worth going huge on.

Betting through cs:go lounge? I'm fascinated. Going to start betting small. Brand new element to esports! lol

Welp, just got my Steam update.

RXotNM1.jpg

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
It's not much, but that's all I had left to spend.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (KenOD, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death -- MB-4FDDB07EA4057D93 - Taken by Fox318. 9 entrants total.

t1408057751z1.png

Jawmuncher

No release date yet is kids BS considering it comes out Tuesday on PS4. That would mean the game is done unless they're trying some unique stuff.

KingDirk

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (KingDirk, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death -- MB-7A0CAA14D765CA1C - Taken by someguyinahat. 12 entrants total.

t1408059491z1.png

Also hopping on sharing this fun game.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
So I been away on airplanes and what not for the whole day (italy, yeay), but how on earth did anyone believe HM2 was anywhere near ready to be released tomorrow?

Killcaustic68

Neo Member

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Killcaustic68, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

One Way Heroics -- MB-0A8F423A4D45A139 - Taken by VikasNarula. 1 entrants total.

t1407963128z1.png

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't really see it as doing NV a disservice. NV really doesn't do much in the way of environmental storytelling. It's not about that, and it doesn't pretend to be. Its focus is squarely on the world that's sprung up after the apocalypse, and the people living in it now. The past is there mainly as a backdrop, to justify the Vaults and high tech weapons and mutant beasties in the setting, and provide some satire fodder, but you get the sense that the details aren't supposed to be important. That's an attitude NV inherited from FO1 and 2, IMO.

FO3, on the other hand, was far more rewarding for someone who was interested in what the world was like before the bombs dropped. For the first time in a Fallout game, the pre-war world wasn't just some lightly-sketched Strangelove-ish satire that the player was meant to smirk at. There were definitely satirical touches, yes, but I felt like the setting had an actual, believable history in 3, one that made sense, and the satire was dialed down to less immersion-breaking levels. Piecing together the history and downfall of the old world through computer records in ruined buildings, fragmented notes, audio recordings, and even newspaper clippings on the load screens was immensely satisfying. (And I know some of this stuff was sketched out in the Fallout bible prior to FO3, but FO3 seemed to a) actually take itself seriously (without being self-important) and b) conveyed the world's history to the player through environmental design and incidental details they could uncover while exploring, which contributed hugely to the atmosphere of the game). And then there were the little, more personal stories you could piece together from examining remains in the ruins - usually there was some context, rather than just bones scattered around, and some of the things you could stumble across were pretty poignant. There was some of that in NV too, mostly in the DLCs (a series of computer logs in Honest Hearts comes to mind - you know the ones), but it was much more of a FO3 "thing".

I liked Fallout 3 a lot, and I make no bones about that. As far as exploration and atmosphere go, the game was really a special experience for me. I understand why you prefer NV, given your feelings on FO1 and 2, but I think you're being a little too harsh on 3 .

see that's the thing, new vegas does all of that shit, just not (as much) about pre-war times. it still has a lot, with factories and office buildings and vaults and abandoned makeshift radio stations and motels and all that crap. i get the impression this shit stuck harder on people in fo3 cos 1. it came out first and 2. game's a lot more moody and lonely (much to its benefit as dialogue is awful, terrible, dreadful in fo3).

if you want to go into a room and find the couple of skeletons embracing each other in bed or the bloody chain and teddy bear, i'm not lying when i say there's plenty of that in new vegas. and if you want logs about 1950's people sexual harassment and terrible labor laws and all that there's some of that too. there's also lots of little stories about ncr soldiers and such, which relate to current events in the story. and if you want a fallout game there's fuckton of fallout in new vegas.

now you can say new vegas doesn't take the 50s crap as seriously as fo3. that may be ok, i have a lot more trouble remembering stuff about fo3 as i haven't played it in a while, but then fo3 doesn't take its "now" seriously at all. it has all the shit i've spoiled before and A LOT more and it's just so fucking goofy all the time with characters that seemed like were never reviewed by anyone with any sort of narrative knowledge.

to me when a game tries to be moody and melancholic and then hands you a nuke catapult like 3 hours in so you can kill a giant orc then i get the impression it may be a bit at odds with itself. people are very selective of the mood they appreciate about fo3 for some reason, just keeping the "atmosphere" part but forgetting all the lore-breaking bullshit and the terrible campy stuff of having
supermutants as giant orcs that collect sacks of meat and people worshiping undetonated nukes and vampires and whatnot.

to me that's immersion breaking because it's so fucking stupid. to me that kills atmosphere, it looks like it came out of an 8 year old's head. and to me that undoes everything that's positive about the ambient design in fo3, so you're stuck with a few sparks of isolated brilliance (like i said
grocery store at the beginning, some of the museums, i really enjoyed the turnaround in that big evil hotel, ant city, etc.
), which is all i can praise about fo3, which i've always have done even tho i think the game's a waste of anyone's time specially since new vegas exists.

Due to the MGS V announcement. I've been in a mood for Metal Gear.

Now to find my PS2 somewhere. >_>

On another note: MGS2 PC should be on Steam, hopefully they wise up and release it there. Probably the best MGS, or at least, on par with MGS3, and everyone should play it. Very polished game.

So I been away on airplanes and what not for the whole day (italy, yeay), but how on earth did anyone believe HM2 was anywhere near ready to be released tomorrow?

if anyone was going to pull of a random game appearing on steam, it's the folks behind HM2.

Personally, knew it was BS because im pretty sure that HM2 is launching on playstation platforms simultaneously, meaning we would be up to our necks in coverage for it by now.

What games in the Build a Be Mine Groupees bundle are good? I have been thinking of getting Lili and Orange Juice, are these any good? The trailers for the others don't look too interesting, but are any of the others worth the $0.50-$1?

Dr Dogg

Scammers out in full force today, huh. On top of obviously wanting you to log in this site tries to make you download "Steam Guard.exe" (yeah right). Be on your toes, folks.

The old rn instead of m is quite hard to pick up unless you're looking but the fact that there's a c before the t is glaringly obvious. Well that and a random wanting to trade with you. Haven't had too many issues now my inventory is set to private.

ViviOggi

The old rn instead of m is quite hard to pick up unless you're looking but the fact that there's a c before the t is glaringly obvious. Well that and a random wanting to trade with you. Haven't had too many issues now my inventory is set to private.

You'd think taking PP before giving away a full-price game would be obvious too, so it can't hurt to raise awareness.

There must be a lot of phishing domains already taken if this was the best the guy could come up with though

Dr Dogg

You'd think taking PP before giving away a full-price game would be obvious too, so it can't hurt to raise awareness.

There must be a lot of phishing domains already taken if this was the best the guy could come up with though

A new one pops up in here about once a month. Though as you say spreading the word can't hurt, even if BY2K did almost get caught (and lead to a funny thread title change).

I'd triple/quadruple dip.

I think I still own 6 copies of 2 and 5 of 3 but only 3 of Peace Walker so could do with padding that out a bit more. I'm surprised Kojima hasn't named a yacht after me with the amount of money I've sent his way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom