• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has full controller support though, right?

Yeah, although I haven't tried it out myself as I don't own a controller or anyway a controller working on Steam, by the way the controls are only left, right, jump and action keys, so it's easy to play it even only with just a keyboard; keyboard controls are more responsive - that is no lag - than other platform games I have played on Steam.

FellowGAF,

In prep for the livestream of the Eternity beta on Monday, I am going to try out Steam Streaming. I will stream a game.

What game shall it be?

I really liked Electronic Super Joy, but damn were those moans annoying. Especially considering how much you die, or at least how much I died.

Just got mine and the code activated without any issues, but it's not appearing on my game list. Is that normal?

Yeah it doesn't show in mine either. Most likely it's because the game hasn't been released yet. Check back tomorrow.

Jawmuncher

Aside from titanfall PC probably being dead is higher levels fucking about in there a big problem like on Xbox one. There were max level dudes just going to town. Game didn't even separate by level so it was completely stacked. Was having fun two until the level unbalanced showed me the games true colors.
Especially those smart guns that can lock faster . Seriously wth.

Can't wait for arena shooters to come back.
That way if I suck its all my fault.

Yeah it doesn't show in mine either. Most likely it's because the game hasn't been released yet. Check back tomorrow.

Or maybe in a few minutes; the same thing happened to me just a few days ago when I activated Viscera Santa's rampage.
It was not in my game library although it said that I owned the game, I checked several times and then it was there out of the blue.

Dr Dogg

Happy birthday to me! Bought myself a copy of GalCivIII to celebrate, which alongside the Elite: Dangerous beta access I bought as an early present last week means I spent way too much on myself. Now to just get through the work day so I can have a few rums and get into some drunken gaming.

Happy b'day. I was just thinking 'damn that's an expensive birthday present to buy for yourself' but notice the price has dropped off a lot on GalCiv III.

I liked what I played of The Crew beta, so I'd have considered it for a better price. Even the american price is more than what I'd pay for it, especially considering how cheap you can buy retail copies.

What's the EU price? €50? So £40, for a PC game? Hahahaha oh Ubisoft. They are one of the few publishers that have stuff all the time on Amazon.co.uk's download service and even the prices there are cheaper than the Steam equivalent, sometimes the same cost as physical copies so there really is a premium cost for a Steam copy day one. Of course that's if they don't get yanked from the store to purchase until just before release or just after due to some unknown reason and totally not GAME having a retailer exclusive edition or promo running at the same time or anything.

saunderez

Happy b'day. I was just thinking 'damn that's an expensive birthday present to buy for yourself' but notice the price has dropped off a lot on GalCiv III.

Yeah it's still a bit high for my liking, but Stardock were champs to me earlier in the year when their customer service gave me a Steam key for my old retail copy of GalCiv2:UE because I was having trouble with the bullshit Gamestop downloader, so I thought I'd repay the favour and get in on GalCivIII early.

Strider

So I got home and updated steam... Now when I go to Grid view I can no longer get my games to be placed with no space between them. I forgot what I needed to edit in the text files to change this.

Can anyone help?

Edit: it's fixed. Thanks Shadow!

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
If you did the vote and join group thing for Heavy Fire Afghanistan you can get your key here.

Oh hey, I remember that game. It's absolutely terrible.

No really, it's a pretty bad, cheaply made, generic on rails shooter. Makes sense that they're giving it away for free. Barely anyone's going to actually play it, of course, everyone who voted for it only wanted the +1 to their Steam account. Such a bullshit tactic to have games make it through Greenlight to be sold on Steam.

Electronic Super Joy is 79 cents on the Humble Store. How is it?
Quoting myself, but the Groove City DLC got added to my account too as a separate installation. Did I actually get that for free, or is it automatically added in case I decide to buy it later? Would be awesome if this is some kind of secret bonus from the Humble Store.

EDIT: NEVER MIND! I must have gotten Groove City in a bundle somewhere.

EDIT AGAIN: Firestorm Bundle from Bundlestars.com

Sajjaja

iunderstoodthatreference.gif

669FED6680C51E95D093DCAEED5CFBA536D1AF51

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of KingDirk, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (KingDirk, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death -- MB-7A0CAA14D765CA1C - Taken by someguyinahat. 12 entrants total.

t1408059491z1.png

Hey, anyone tried Ziggurat? It just went up today on Early Access and i saw a couple people mention it. I don't wanna chance it at 11.99, but if its good, i'd be willing to nab it.

xptoxyz

Not sure if discussed but I guess the play button went from green to blue to match the rest of the theme I guess. (just noticed now, may have been for a while...)

denx

Just got the news that MGSV is releasing con Steam. YES. Happy to have done my part by buying MGR.

I cant type for shit on touchscreens.

Ozium

!משהו בשבילכם

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Another Perspective -- MB-5E0716D3DB12248F - Taken by FiveElementNinja. 6 entrants total.

t1408058051z1.png

Anustart

Played a bit more tomb raider after work. Really liking the game. Great presentation, fun, even if on rails, exploration (probably due to how gorgeous the game is). Animation seems pretty great so far and the voice acting is superb.

Combat is ok, and the little mini tomb I explored was a fun diversion.

Lain

I just got prompted for a Steam Client update, so I thought about backing up the textures of the actual client before updating because I like the way the client looks now and I dislike how it's gonna look after the update.
Is copying away the Graphics directory enough, or is there some other elements worth to back up if I want to reinstate the old Steam look in the future?

Blizzard

Banned
Is it just me or did the latest Steam update cause the text to get a bit blurrier?
One thing that was changed was to make it clear once and for all that you CANNOT opt out of automatic updates. I've been wishing you could for years, but now you get this:
steam_updates_255kw6.png

Why DOESN'T Valve at least give people the option? I know they can, because for a brief while it was even working. You even got a nice popup asking you whether you wanted to play without updating, or immediately update. Is it based on a game setting developers don't use?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
giveaway

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Creamium, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver -- MB-67E48E9CDA5642FC - Taken by Strazyplus. 17 entrants total.

t1408067891z1.png

Tellaerin

see that's the thing, new vegas does all of that shit, just not (as much) about pre-war times. it still has a lot, with factories and office buildings and vaults and abandoned makeshift radio stations and motels and all that crap. i get the impression this shit stuck harder on people in fo3 cos 1. it came out first and 2. game's a lot more moody and lonely (much to its benefit as dialogue is awful, terrible, dreadful in fo3).

There was also quantitatively more of it, man. I can say that as someone who went into NV specifically looking for that stuff after FO3 and coming up disappointed. And what was present in 3 painted a more believable picture of a world than the stuff in NV, IMO. A good example of how I felt NV fumbles this is
the computer records you find at the H&H Tools Factory. There is no way that someone that obviously batshit insane could possibly have been running a company as described in those logs.
Killed my suspension of disbelief. But it was meant to be funny and satirical, so the over-the-top absurdity of it gets a pass for being "Fallout-y" from some people.

if you want to go into a room and find the couple of skeletons embracing each other in bed or the bloody chain and teddy bear, i'm not lying when i say there's plenty of that in new vegas. and if you want logs about 1950's people sexual harassment and terrible labor laws and all that there's some of that too. there's also lots of little stories about ncr soldiers and such, which relate to current events in the story. and if you want a fallout game there's fuckton of fallout in new vegas.

You had some of that in NV, sure, but it wasn't developed nearly to the extent that you saw in FO3. Whether it was government buildings, museums, old laboratories, military installations, or what have you, there was so much interesting stuff to unearth about the past if you were willing to explore.

now you can say new vegas doesn't take the 50s crap as seriously as fo3. that may be ok, i have a lot more trouble remembering stuff about fo3 as i haven't played it in a while, but then fo3 doesn't take its "now" seriously at all. it has all the shit i've spoiled before and A LOT more and it's just so fucking goofy all the time with characters that seemed like were never reviewed by anyone with any sort of narrative knowledge.

Which is funny, because I had similar complaints about things like the Legion (Road Warrior-esque Roman cosplayers were kind of hard for me to take seriously as villains), the Jetsons reject-looking Securitrons with their television "faces" (just compare the design of those with any of the 'bots from Fallout 3 - they don't feel like something anyone would actually have built), the lead scientist at the Helios One facility
--okay, it's cute that he's an incompetent "scientist" who calls himself "Fantastic", but he's portrayed as so incompetent that it stopped being funny and turned immersion-breaking - nobody would put this guy on a research project after talking to him for more than five minutes)
, or the whole Repconn facility
(Ghouls in spaaaaaace!)
- there was a lot of crap like this, stuff that made me question the reality of the setting in a way that FO3 didn't.

to me when a game tries to be moody and melancholic and then hands you a nuke catapult like 3 hours in so you can kill a giant orc then i get the impression it may be a bit at odds with itself. people are very selective of the mood they appreciate about fo3 for some reason, just keeping the "atmosphere" part but forgetting all the lore-breaking bullshit and the terrible campy stuff of having
supermutants as giant orcs that collect sacks of meat and people worshiping undetonated nukes and vampires and whatnot.

Moody exploration giving way to a battle with a big boss that you have to take down with a tac nuke launcher? I'm good with that. It felt suitably epic in context, and it didn't skew the game into the realm of the absurd for me. As far as "lore-breaking bullshit" goes, looks like we have different levels of tolerance for that sort of thing. I felt that where Bethesda did things a little differently
(their take on supermutants, Elder Lyons' splinter faction of the Brotherhood, etc.)
, they made a point of providing explanations for why things are the way they are on the East Coast.
The stuff like the non-supernatural "vampires" and people worshipping an undetonated nuke were also explained to my satisfaction - it's not hard to believe you'd have fringe folks like this in a post-apocalyptic, post-technological setting).

to me that's immersion breaking because it's so fucking stupid. to me that kills atmosphere, it looks like it came out of an 8 year old's head. and to me that undoes everything that's positive about the ambient design in fo3, so you're stuck with a few sparks of isolated brilliance (like i said
grocery store at the beginning, some of the museums, i really enjoyed the turnaround in that big evil hotel, ant city, etc.
), which is all i can praise about fo3, which i've always have done even tho i think the game's a waste of anyone's time specially since new vegas exists.

It looks like we have different criteria for what we consider silly or stupid, since I see dumb things where you don't and vice versa. I also think part of it is that I don't put the original Fallout games on a pedestal - though I enjoyed them when I played them, I didn't think they were perfect even then. FO3 ditched some things about the franchise that I liked the originals in spite of, rather than because of, while expanding on the elements I did like.

I don't want to make it sound like New Vegas is bad (it's not!), but as I said before, it's definitely a different kind of game. It's a game about characters doing things in the here-and-now. Those characters are well-written and interesting. The world they occupy felt more like a stage set than a place to me, though - it provides a backdrop for the story, but that's about it. In FO3, the NPC's are admittedly not as deep or nuanced, but the world is a character in its own right, and getting to know it is a big part of the fun. It's worth recommending regardless of your feelings on NV, and depending on what kind of experience somebody enjoys, they may end up liking 3 better than NV. So I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you whenever this particular topic comes up. ; )

(Apologies to anyone who I might have accidentally hit with that giant wall of text. >.> )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom