• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altazor

iRKji101CwlaS.png

Are you fucking kidding me.
cry.gif

same shit happened to me with Borderlands 2. All drops were the same fucking card, meh :(

mannerbot

superior in what ways exactly, I read something about NVenc (no clue what that is)

are there any performance differences between the two?
any practical differences, considering if I were wanting to setup a stream, with 2 webcams and commentary?
any performance differences, or differences in support for certain capture cards?

Maybe XSplit has stepped up its game with a FOSS competitor, but at the time OBS was first released the performance was far superior with OBS. Just try them both out if you like since you don't need to buy an XSplit subscription just to stream for fun. I don't really have any quantifiable proof that OBS is less CPU intensive, but anecdotally streamers that previously could only do 720p on XSplit were able to make the jump to 1080p streams when OBS first came out.

And yeah, 2 webcams and mic input is obviously doable on either one.

Maybe XSplit has stepped up its game with a FOSS competitor, but at the time OBS was first released the performance was far superior with OBS. Just try them both out if you like since you don't need to buy an XSplit subscription just to stream for fun. I don't really have any quantifiable proof that OBS is less CPU intensive, but anecdotally streamers that previously could only do 720p on XSplit were able to make the jump to 1080p streams when OBS first came out.

And yeah, 2 webcams and mic input is obviously doable on either one.

awesome! Thanks for the insight, i'll try both!

All i need to do now is wait for my dazzle DV100 in the mail, xD.
I'm actually getting an AverMedia LGP

zkylon

zkylewd
oh i'm not saying new vegas doesn't have its shared of stupid stuff (and so does fo2) but imo the delivery is much better, mostly because when new vegas does it does it trying to be funny (
space ghouls, tabitha, the kings, all of old world blues
) while fo3 is actually trying to be cool or interesting or whatever

yeah it doesn't always work in new vegas. caesar's legion looks really dumb. fortunately there are mods that help that shit out. unfortunately you can't mod out the entire fo3 script :p

but yea we'll just have to agree to disagree. fuck you :>

Number twenty-four, Monsters Ate My Birthday Cake.

qNzJD6U.png

I actually finished this a month or so ago, but the last achievement was broken. I saw it update today and went back to it. Surprisingly, they actually ADDED to the achievement in addition to fixing it, so I had to hunt down two additional bottles (and figure out how to play again). It only took twenty minutes or so, so not that annoying.

Cute puzzle game, not much to say about it though.

At least 2 of the higher level guys had it and the match went to shit real quick. Was no fun at all.

Yeah that weapon and mod are basically required if you're going to play Attrition, it's just way too good at mowing down AI. I've had numerous games where I've earned about 90% of the teams points just targeting AI.

Reposting before I go to work, 5 hours left!

I hope those of you who don't have some of these games will finally get a chance to enjoy them! Good luck to all entrants!
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Cuban Legend, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Swapper -- MB-73F130B9B5947442 - Taken by Sharkiller. 5 entrants total.
Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians -- MB-E4AEB9E15A47E9C3
Guacamelee! Gold Edition -- MB-D738BB9F7ED515BF - Taken by KingDirk. 4 entrants total.
Antichamber -- MB-3F9F71B35D86AF20 - Taken by hepburn3d. 2 entrants total.
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams -- MB-FD752F630DC89FA7 - Taken by Fuu. 1 entrants total.
Dust: An Elysian Tail -- MB-A1144E3CF5C99CCD - Taken by hitoshi. 1 entrants total.
Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine -- MB-EC82249824F693E4 - Taken by creamsugar. 1 entrants total.
Starseed Pilgrim -- MB-B0C209055C52CDC1 - Taken by Ozium. 6 entrants total.
FEZ -- MB-B6459F13BA1C2FF6

t1408083669z1.png

Beelzebubs

Isn't the cobblestone box just that valuable because it features items of a yet to be released collection?

No because the collection drops are based on what maps are played. Cobblestone is rarely played in competitive hence it's so high. Kinda helps that the price of just a regular AWP Dragon Lore is $300ish and it's one of the items available from the Cobblestone souvenir package.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Valve responded to my game removal request but accidentally removed Talisman Prologue rather than Talisman Digital Edition, and I still can't add the Talisman DE Gold Pack to my account because all of the apps aside from Talisman DE itself are set to be ignored by Steam's ownership cross-check. For the moment I'm holding off on alerting Valve to its mistake as I've contacted Nomad and asked it to change the configuration of sub.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Creamium, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Creamium, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver -- MB-67E48E9CDA5642FC - Taken by Strazyplus. 17 entrants total.

t1408067891z1.png

Sarcasm

So 11mpbs for OBS would be like a bitrate of 11000?

Well 10mbps is just over 1mb/s

10 Mbps [Megabit-per-second]
=10000 Kbps [Kilobit-per-second]
=1.25 MB/sec [Megabyte-per-second]
=1250 KB/sec [Kilobyte-per-second]

So @ 11 you may be close to 2mb

Going to be hard to upload at that speed with 720p since you don't want to cap, if you cap you can't stream. Feel free to PM me I stream.

With the recent update to Dota 2 Valve is getting rid of the regular Treasure Keys for Dota 2 which have been used as a currency for betting and trading (basically its the Dota 2 equivalent of the Mann Co. Supply Crate Key).
I personally guess that this will also apply to TF2 and CS:GO in the long run to eliminate trading of keys for games.

Well, crap, did they remove all of the game's "crates"? I've got quite a few rare Mann Co. crates, so I'm wondering if I should try and dump them now before they get removed.

EDIT: Mainly talking about low-series numbers like #1, #2, #3, etc. Although I have salvaged ones worth ~$17 each, so obviously I don't want to lose those.

Zoolader

One thing that was changed was to make it clear once and for all that you CANNOT opt out of automatic updates. I've been wishing you could for years, but now you get this:
steam_updates_255kw6.png

Why DOESN'T Valve at least give people the option? I know they can, because for a brief while it was even working. You even got a nice popup asking you whether you wanted to play without updating, or immediately update. Is it based on a game setting developers don't use?

Ya wtf happened, I've been trying to intall mods and enb for gta 4 which basically needs you to disable updates. Now that steam just updated I don't have the option anymore. This sucks.

Blizzard

Banned
Ya wtf happened, I've been trying to intall mods and enb for gta 4 which basically needs you to disable updates. Now that steam just updated I don't have the option anymore. This sucks.
I was just wondering if I should post again about it since no one had replied.

To be fair, the option didn't work before ANYWAY -- if you selected disable, it just forced you to update when you launched the game, so now at least the option is accurate.

Unless someone is aware of certain games that let you disable updates, or some other trick besides keeping manual backups and reverting. I'd love to hear solutions. Someone once suggested I make a support ticket and ask Valve, and maybe I will, but I -highly- doubt I'll get any sort of answer as to why they don't let you opt out.

Well, crap, did they remove all of the game's "crates"? I've got quite a few rare Mann Co. crates, so I'm wondering if I should try and dump them now before they get removed.

EDIT: Mainly talking about low-series numbers like #1, #2, #3, etc. Although I have salvaged ones worth ~$17 each, so obviously I don't want to lose those.
only Dota 2 key and chests are affected, there aren't any changes to other games.

yet

But yeah it seems like the older stuff will get removed eventually.

but I'm surprised we/Valve aren't talking more about this. Seems kind of weird they just spring this. When the keyless chests were introduced, its easy enough to say, "this is the future, get rid of all your stuff while you still have it." This affects a lot of people, traders sure, but even people who just had old chests or were holding on to keys.

only Dota 2 key and chests are affected, there aren't any changes to other games.

yet

But yeah it seems like the older stuff will get removed eventually.

but I'm surprised we/Valve aren't talking more about this. Seems kind of weird they just spring this. When the keyless chests were introduced, its easy enough to say, "this is the future, get rid of all your stuff while you still have it." This affects a lot of people, traders sure, but even people who just had old chests or were holding on to keys.

Yeah, that was why I was pretty worried that TF2 and CS:GO are next on the slate. I've got probably $70 worth of TF2 crates (that have been steadily climbing in price) so I've been holding on to them. I'd be pretty ticked if they just up and vanished.

Well 10mbps is just over 1mb/s

10 Mbps [Megabit-per-second]
=10000 Kbps [Kilobit-per-second]
=1.25 MB/sec [Megabyte-per-second]
=1250 KB/sec [Kilobyte-per-second]

So @ 11 you may be close to 2mb

Going to be hard to upload at that speed with 720p since you don't want to cap, if you cap you can't stream. Feel free to PM me I stream.

Will do.

so I just got back from playing PvZ: GW on origin and I was ready to pre order it for PS4, before I turned it off I decided to use my coins to buy some of the packs where you get items and characters from. Once I saw that you actually need to get 5 card pieces of the character to actually unlock them I changed my mind of purchasing the game. Its fun but my god theres only so much bull shit that I'm willing to accept. I thought it would work like ME3 where you just unlock the character and thats that, not having to collect 5 pieces like I'm trying to get Exodia for YuGiOh. Fuck that, removed from m purchasing list.

Jawmuncher

so I just got back from playing PvZ: GW on origin and I was ready to pre order it for PS4, before I turned it off I decided to use my coins to buy some of the packs where you get items and characters from. Once I saw that you actually need to get 5 card pieces of the character to actually unlock them I changed my mind of purchasing the game. Its fun but my god theres only so much bull shit that I'm willing to accept. I thought it would work like ME3 where you just unlock the character and thats that, not having to collect 5 pieces like I'm trying to get Exodia for YuGiOh. Fuck that, removed from m purchasing list.

Thanks for reminding me I need to try it.

BHK3

Banned
Any way to revert back to the old steam look rather than this fugly one? I can't think of anything in the past 10 years where a company changed the UI for the better. It's all this 'sleek, modern, round edges -> sharp edges(or vice versa) gradients and simple colours' designs are fucking awful. PSP/PS3 XMB was king, 360 dashboard blades was king, then everyone goes and fuglys it all up.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Any way to revert back to the old steam look rather than this fugly one? I can't think of anything in the past 10 years where a company changed the UI for the better. It's all this 'sleek, modern, round edges -> sharp edges(or vice versa) gradients and simple colours' designs are fucking awful. PSP/PS3 XMB was king, 360 dashboard blades was king, then everyone goes and fuglys it all up.
Metro skin?

This is the greatest Stream of all time.

In other news: my artist just sent me some amazing character models -- I think I'm going to try to greenlight this thing when it's finally done. :X Coming to Steam alongside HL3!

you're making a game? I'm interested in game development as a carrer choice! :3 I'm learning C++ at my college, I'm very rubish at it but I gotta believe! Though I won't be attending school this semester since I couldn't afford to pay for the semester in time(blows since last year the payment was due by the 2nd week of school, now they wanted it 3 weeks before school even began)

Mono

you're making a game? I'm interested in game development as a carrer choice! :3 I'm learning C++ at my college, I'm very rubish at it but I gotta believe! Though I won't be attending school this semester since I couldn't afford to pay for the semester in time(blows since last year the payment was due by the 2nd week of school, now they wanted it 3 weeks before school even began)

I'm trying to get into game writing, myself! I think everyone's rubbish at C++ when they start; that object-oriented logic, omg. But once you learn C++, learning other programming languages is rather easy in comparison!

That's too bad! :( Keep practicing on your own so you don't get rusty!

Lol I just won using a card saying classy sideboobs or something lol

LOL, wonderful!!

Deitus

Edit: Why is there a banana on the table?

ive been asking myself that question as well. wanna know whats even weirder? it came out of no where. one second its not there and then boom, now theres a banana
I'm trying to get into game writing, myself! I think everyone's rubbish at C++ when they start; that object-oriented logic, omg. But once you learn C++, learning other programming languages is rather easy in comparison!

That's too bad! :( Keep practicing on your own so you don't get rusty!

LOL, wonderful!!

thanks <3 Its not too bad tho, now I get about 4 months to go get a job and earn some cash. I havent had a job in like 3 years, been focusing on school.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
ive been asking myself that question as well. wanna know whats even weirder? it came out of no where. one second its not there and then boom, now theres a banana

It's clearly the beginning of an ARG that will lead to the announcement of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom