• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozium

Yeah, while Unity -- which has been in development since Brotherhood wrapped four years ago now -- is a breath of fresh air, Rogue is virtually identical to Black Flag and doesn't overly interest me. I couldn't say I'd care much at all if the game's to remain on the PS360.

hmm My friend just lent me AC4 for PS3 and I've finished the install and updates and was getting excited.. Did you not like Black Flag?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
hmm My friend just lent me AC4 for PS3 and I've finished the install and updates and was getting excited.. Did you not like Black Flag?

I liked it enough to start the game again after losing 96 hours of progress. ;) I certainly enjoyed it more than 3 but wasn't particularly fond of the strong focus on the naval component compared to the usual city traversal -- the likes of Havana and Kingston are certainly more aesthetically appealing than the boring, drab cities of Colonial America, however they're about equally small. My main concern with Rogue is that it is to Black Flag as Borderlands 1.75 is to Borderlands 2 -- the same game with a slightly different skin. To be clear, I didn't dislike Black Flag, but I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to play through it again after more than 200 hours of sailing the Caribbean.

otsZZ.jpg

The good ol' days.

Just got through playing Steel & Steam: Episode 1. Some impressions:

It goes without saying this is an RPGmaker game. It does have some custom graphics, but it also has its fair share of presets. Slime, Snake, Bat, Bandit, they all make their requisite appearances. Haven't been driven off yet? Okay.

The game is 90% Steel and 10% Steam, if I'm being generous. Maybe two of the villains exemplify steampunk, and even then they're pallette swaps of each other. So if you're looking for a cool steampunk RPG, wait for episode 2...or just play Skyborn, which was also made in RPGmaker. I finished this game in 8 hours but I went AFK, alt-tabbed out, that sort of thing quite a bit so it's probably more like 7. In addition, the game is super easy. It's unbalanced in the player's favour. By the end of the game my heroes all had maximum HP of about 1500. By mid-game you start receiving Hi-Potions which heal you for 2,500...and then later on you get Full Potions for some reason. Be prepared to get great weapons in quests, then get worse weapons in subsequent quests. Near the end I was escaping battles not because I was low on resources or even because I was getting bored (okay that's partly why,) but because I knew I didn't need any more experience and I would be able to defeat the end boss as I was.

But this game isn't just battles. There's also a fishing mini-game. You can catch green fish that heal 50% of your MP, and bigger purple fish, which I never caught because I had the cheapest rod, the cheapest bait, and didn't want to bother playing this mini-game any more. In the endgame they also throw in a dodging minigame which gave me one of my very few game overs. It was basically one step removed from a QTE. And you know what else there is? Long roads on the world map. They made a really big map, then filled it in with very little, including - get this! - towns you simply walk over and can't enter. It wasn't Daggerfall bad, but I didn't see a reason for it apart from more time to fight filler battles.

I will admit there was one cool thing they added in: mid-battle summon cutscenes. They had this low-res look that reminded me of old Power Rangers stock footage. And I suppose the 20-fight arena battle was cool, even though I got to 17 before an enemy even got a single hit on me (I wasn't kidding when I said super easy.)

Overall, it was okay for an RPGmaker effort. Good on them for getting it kickstarted, I guess, but it just felt a little too stock for my tastes. I don't recommend buying. There were a few entries in GAF's own RPGmaker contest that were more fun than this one, even though those ones were admittedly shorter. And seriously, go play and review those! They worked hard on 'em! And they're free!

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Man, I hope. They certainly seem to be saying the right things, and the footage looks good. But I'm still skeptical.

I still think they need to move to a 2 year cycle though.

A no-year cycle would do us all a favor.

And I'm back from the doc with more meds (yay), but the pharmacy is closed (boo).

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Cuban Legend, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Cuban Legend, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Swapper -- MB-73F130B9B5947442 - Taken by Sharkiller. 5 entrants total.
Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians -- MB-E4AEB9E15A47E9C3
Guacamelee! Gold Edition -- MB-D738BB9F7ED515BF - Taken by KingDirk. 4 entrants total.
Antichamber -- MB-3F9F71B35D86AF20 - Taken by hepburn3d. 2 entrants total.
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams -- MB-FD752F630DC89FA7 - Taken by Fuu. 1 entrants total.
Dust: An Elysian Tail -- MB-A1144E3CF5C99CCD - Taken by hitoshi. 1 entrants total.
Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine -- MB-EC82249824F693E4 - Taken by creamsugar. 1 entrants total.
Starseed Pilgrim -- MB-B0C209055C52CDC1 - Taken by Ozium. 6 entrants total.
FEZ -- MB-B6459F13BA1C2FF6

t1408083669z1.png

The new client is so much faster. <3 I really like it
If Valve now gave me the option to completely hide/disable Big Picture I literally would have no complaints about it anymore

So these playfire rewards motivated me to get around to playing Alan Wake. My mini review is, maybe the story is ok, but the gameplay gets old real fast and turns into a game of 'avoid the obstacles flying at you'. The visuals were nice but that gameplay just kept coming back and slapping me in the face. I guess I'm just happy to have uninstalled it knowing there's another game in my library that I don't want to check out anymore.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The new client is so much faster. <3 I really like it
If Vavle now gave me the option to completely hide/disable Big Picture I literally would have no complaints about it anymore

I think the only issue I have now is that uninstalled Free on Demand games don't show up/remain in your library unless you own DLC for them. It's a little dumb that they increase your game count but aren't tethered to your library by default.

Not into Dota 2, but why are they removing keys? I guess crates too? That's a pretty big change.

What will happen to my TF2 crates? I like collecting them.

AHA-Lambda

Not into Dota 2, but why are they removing keys? I guess crates too? That's a pretty big change.

Really? When did this happen?

I don't play dota 2 but this sounds big, how significantly does this change the F2P mechanic?

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Nostalgia is awesome!

Nostalgia used to be way better in the 80s, when it was about growing up in the 50s and 60s. Now it's all about growing up in the 80s and 90s. It really used to mean something back then.

Cerity

Anyone care to comment on Dark? Seemed cool leading up to release and talk of it just died down afterwards from what I remember.

FtHTiny

From what i know it has something to do with regulations in china. They have to remove most of the gambling to run the shop there, that´s also why can´t get dublicate set bundles out of the new chests anymore.

saunderez

From what i know it has something to do with regulations in china. They have to remove most of the gambling to run the shop there, that´s also why can´t get dublicate set bundles out of the new chests anymore.

If they limit supply of keys its gonna send key prices through the roof. Might have to hold onto my stash.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Just read about the removal of Dota keys. This got me pretty worried because as someone who has been stocking up on TF2 keys this will screw me over if the same thing were to happen to TF2.

I guess this had to happen to prevent the shut down of Chinese servers because of their laws. Don't know if the same applies to TF2 but I am very stressed right now

Dr Dogg

How do I change my Steam Tray Icon to the blue circle logo?
I can't deal with it being different.

More than likely Windows and it's useless icon cache. Log out and log back in again and it should refresh. If that doesn't work you could rebuild it either by using a program like CCleaner or just a simple command line script.

saunderez

Just read about the removal of Dota keys. This got me pretty worried because as someone who has been stocking up on TF2 keys this will screw me over if the same thing were to happen to TF2.

I guess this had to happen to prevent the shut down of Chinese servers because of their laws. Don't know if the same applies to TF2 but I am very stressed right now

I'm gonna sell mine as a precaution. I've got 25 and it'd suck to lose that much money so I'm just gonna take loss and move on.

Teeth

I know people hate the bloat on Steam functions, but I would really like a quick dedicated button to bring up the Steam Music Player. Like if they shrunk the Big Picture Mode button down and put the music note button there it would be perfect. In addition to that, I think they should allow you to put a listing in the quick menu (right click on Steam tray icon) that brings up the music player. Having to fish through 3 different menu items to get it to come up is cumbersome.

I also wish for the square icon back, but I'm not going to complain too hard on it. Is there any way to get it back easily?

I'm also curious...I wasn't on Steam (or into PC gaming) during the Green Steam days. Was there rage when they changed over to the black interface? Rage on the feature bloat at that time? Rage at the removal of Steam Chess?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Pool Nation -- MB-0921A0579143B727 - Taken by Sarcasm

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I'm gonna sell mine as a precaution. I've got 25 and it'd suck to lose that much money so I'm just gonna take loss and move on.

I have close to 400! What sucks is that now a lot of people will be scared to trade in them because Valve may do the same thing to TF2 and CSGO any day. Maybe I should just sell them all on the Market and wait till Valve adds that wallet trading option

By the way if anybody wants to buy them directly from me I dropped the price to $1.8 per key

saunderez

I have close to 400! What sucks is that now a lot of people will be scared to trade in them because Valve may do the same thing to TF2 and CSGO any day. Maybe I should just sell them all on the Market and wait till Valve adds that wallet trading option

By the way if anybody wants to buy them directly from me I dropped the price to $1.8 per key

Aww man it would be a nightmare to list 400 keys.....I hope they don't get rid of them but I don't see them keeping them around if they want to open up the TF2 and CSGO markets to the Chinese.

Mine are gone, got $60~ for them all, its pretty much all trading card funds so I'm not that disappointed but I did lose about 30c a key in fees from what I paid. Still got 140 games left to idle, at least I won't waste money buying keys with those.

Monooboe

I liked it enough to start the game again after losing 96 hours of progress. ;)

Same happened to me... to a long time to restart the game. I'm happy I did, I liked it alot, though the mainmissions were quite often a miss. Also I hope more than anything that they finally drop all that "full synch" stuff... makes me miss AC1 where you just got one goal and the freedom to do it how you want.

I'm still going to order the collectors edition for Unity though.XD

Copons

How do I change my Steam Tray Icon to the blue circle logo?
I can't deal with it being different.

What I did on both 7 and 8.1 was unpin Steam from the taskbar, restart and pin it again.
(If you don't have an SSD I guess you could first try just logging out and back in to avoid wasting that long boot time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom