• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

Guys I had a pretty awesome local multiplayer gaming session last night on my pc with my room mates. It's been far too long and some of these games I hadn't played multiplayer at all. I think I'm going to compile a list of worthy local multiplayer games to put on heavy rotation and put together a thread of some sort.

Nabs

Not much, they laid the groundwork for achievements a few months ago but have otherwise been quiet.

Well as an achievement whore, I'm certainly glad to hear that. I just messaged @Bandai wherever I could, asking for some news... Not really expecting a response, but maybe. Hopefully we get something soon.

JordanKZ

It's not that anymore? I'm pretty sure it is. Can't believe they haven't come out with a native app by now, it's pretty awful all round IMO. The fact the whole app basically hangs when a game is installing is all I need to know it's terrible.

Big Picture shows that Valve have really good designers these days. Aesthetically, it might not be up to everyones ideals, but functionally it's fantastic, especially the on screen keyboard.

You're right though, the Store and Community do eventually need to be brought native. The downside is, is that they'll just have another thing to keep up to date. With it being a web page and accessible from everywhere, it keeps workloads down.

Wow, that's incredible! Thanks for that! I only started using Steam in 2007 but I didn't really venture onto the store because I just used it as a way to play CS:S with some school friends. In 2008 I picked up a retail copy of the Orange Box so again, I wasn't really using the store. I did pre-order Audiosurf from the store after I read about it on a forum but that was my last Steam purchase until the 09/10 Christmas sale when I bought Torchlight.

In December 2011, during the Christmas sale, I bought a few games to play on my laptop. I started using Steam a lot more at this point because I was living abroad for university during that academic year so I only had my laptop. In summer 2012, I started buying bigger games for the PC that I planned to build that summer. The rest, as the say, is history.

I guess that by the time I paid a lot of attention to Steam, it had already changed quite a bit so I didn't pay much attention to the smaller changes. I always thought that the jump from green was a lot bigger than it was. Those links really show how the store progressed in stages. Thanks again for posting them!

MadGear

I have close to 400! What sucks is that now a lot of people will be scared to trade in them because Valve may do the same thing to TF2 and CSGO any day. Maybe I should just sell them all on the Market and wait till Valve adds that wallet trading option

By the way if anybody wants to buy them directly from me I dropped the price to $1.8 per key

But Valve didn't simply remove the Keys but they offered an alternative use for them which actually resulted in the prices of these keys to slightly increase on the marketplace. So it's not like they are getting straight out devalued, they actually could increase in value (but ofc the other way remains possible as well).

So the room I was going to put my cable modem in is the one room that is a complete mystery on the co-ax end. Does anyone use a wireless card with their desktop?

Dr Dogg

I finally got infected by the new blue logo.

It stinks.

Yeah, the old one was better

Right click on the shortcut, either the desktop one if you have it, the one on the taskbar if you have it set there, start menu and so on and click properties. Under the Shortcut tab click the Change Icon button and look for the Uninstall application which should also be in the main Steam directory. This hasn't had its icon changed (yet) so by selecting that you can make your shortcuts look old school. Log off and then log back on again and it should swap it out.

Echoplx

They should've just removed the round edges from the old. Or at least not do the color gradient in the new icon.

Eh, it's in line with their whole Steam Universe theme and it looks nice to me, I really don't understand the hate for gradients either.

i just noticed this on my PC, stuff like this is yuck especially since i like the new logo so much i want to stare at it forever

Try repinning steam to the taskbar

derExperte

Go on then I have 20 mins spare on lunch what does everyone as a collective want as their ideal Steam icon?

I got used to and now am a fan of the very simple 'modern' W8 icons (which makes the old desktop ones from the Vista days not fun to look at) so I'd take a dark-blue or light-grey square with the Steam thingy in white. Without any gradients, as unfancy as possible.

Eh, it's in line with their whole Steam Universe theme and it looks nice to me, I really don't understand the hate for gradients either.

They made Steam as a whole look flatter and edgier but then hrew in that icon and gradients where they imo don't really fit. Looks inconsistent to me.

Turfster

why isnt dark a dollar

i want to buy it
Anyone care to comment on Dark? Seemed cool leading up to release and talk of it just died down afterwards from what I remember.

No.
If you don't believe me, ask Rhaknar =p
He likes jank more than I do, and he said I was right!

So these playfire rewards motivated me to get around to playing Alan Wake. My mini review is, maybe the story is ok, but the gameplay gets old real fast and turns into a game of 'avoid the obstacles flying at you'. The visuals were nice but that gameplay just kept coming back and slapping me in the face. I guess I'm just happy to have uninstalled it knowing there's another game in my library that I don't want to check out anymore.

Brother!

for ones with age restrictions? yes, you need

edited: I thought I'm editing, snaked too

You actually don't.
You can edit the url to circumvent age restrictions ;)
(Basically, replace "watch?v=" with "v/")

Steam keys for Hangeki now available on Desura.

GetGamesGo is doing a LEGO sale, 75% off

So much Steam nostalgia thanks to the horrible changes.
Even Steve Gaynor spent last night trawling through archive.org on his twitter feed.

Mokoi

Banned
I use a plain blue desktop, and it looks really weird with that gradient, like the color's leaking into the icon. -_-;

I was fine with the old one, though I may be in the minority there.

Yeah the new one just looks off to me. I was also just fine with the old one. I hate change!

Scipius

[Origin alert] PvZ Garden Warfare is now part this Game Time thing where you can play for a while (in this case 72hrs) for free.

Do we really need people to stink up the Steam thread with these advertisements? Go post it in the Origin thread where people may care.

Sammichu

Good game!

ModBot said:
Instructions for Sammichu:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Sammichu, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

FATE -- MB-AF1A8CA601D20B5C - Taken by Purkake4. 12 entrants total.

t1408117213z1.png

Monooboe

No no no no! This can't be true, seems I've deleted ALL my backed up savefiles, sure many are "meh" but for example Dragon Age 1 and 2 saves I held dear seeing as the third one will have use for them. T_T Thank glob for cloud saves on some of the games.

Dr Dogg

I was fine with the old one, though I may be in the minority there.

You can dump the old icons out of the uninstall application and save them as an .ico file so you can use them forever and ever even if Valve change things up again. I actually prefer the old 256x256 icon that only gets used on systems with high dpi support (which means by default it never shows on Windows but is the default icon on Mac and Ubuntu)

I got used to and now am a fan of the very simple 'modern' W8 icons (which makes the old desktop ones from the Vista days not fun to look at) so I'd take a dark-blue or light-grey square with the Steam thingy in white. Without any gradients, as unfancy as possible.

So like this then

but the square to be a similar blue or grey to other Windows icons? I've just remebered that the sizes have all changed now due to Metro and there's support for wide icons as well so might be a bigger job than I have time for.

No no no no! This can't be true, seems I've deleted ALL my backed up savefiles, sure many are "meh" but for example Dragon Age 1 and 2 saves I held dear seeing as the third one will have use for them. T_T Thank glob for cloud saves on some of the games.

If I'm not mistaken, DA3 won't import saves. You have to use something called the "Dragon Age Keep" to do so.

Echoplx

They made Steam as a whole look flatter and edgier but then hrew in that icon and gradients where they imo don't really fit. Looks inconsistent to me.

Hm, I guess, it might be better without the gradient but I don't think it looks bad as it is now.

It should be fairly simple to create a skin that just removes the gradient and leaves everything else the same, would be interesting to make a direct comparison. I have no idea how to skin Steam though.

Miker

My complaint about the icon is that the white circle outline lets me see individual pixels on my monitor. Having a retina MacBook then playing games on my 1080p 23" monitor makes me realize how low pixel density is on a lot of PC monitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom