• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's some guy in the Galactic Civilization III steam forums who has over 2000 games and is asking why 64bit is required and saying how much he knows about computers and that such a requirement makes no sense. People sure are weird, how do you have that many games and not be able to afford a decent rig :/

Dr Dogg

There's some guy in the Galactic Civilization III steam forums who has over 2000 games and is asking why 64bit is required and saying how much he knows about computers and that such a requirement makes no sense. People sure are weird, how do you have that many games and not be able to afford a decent rig :/

Go in to the most of the PC centric threads on here and you'll soon find a cluster of people pertaining to know everything there is to know about PC's but are still way off the mark. You could also ask how many people that post in this very thread here actually build their own PC's and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's quite a minority. Pressing a Purchase Now button and having oodles of cash doesn't magically impart knowledge that at least requires the aptitude and the willingness to learn about what makes a PC tick. To some people this is a roadblock or hurdle that they don't want to cross for fear of the unknown.

wagamer

I couldn't resist buying Tropico 4 Collector's Bundle, someone had it for sale @ 1,5 keys (~2,5 eur). And I haven't had even time to play 1-3 yet. And now I'm tempted to get Tropico 5 too.

Xanathus

Ugh I've left Idlemaster running on Blade Symphony for an hour and 15 minutes and not a single card has dropped.

edit: complaining works, a card just dropped

Nabs

Ugh I've left Idlemaster running on Blade Symphony for an hour and 15 minutes and not a single card has dropped.

edit: complaining works, a card just dropped

Blade Symphony will take 7 more hours. I put Blade Symphony and Awesomenauts on the shit list blacklist to save me a massive headache.

Dr Dogg

Oh I didn't know games had different drop rates. Blacklisted Blade Symphony.

Awesomenauts has I think 7 card drops that are worth 1-3p (as in what you'd get minus fees) at took me around 5 and a half hours to get all the drops. Really wasn't worth it over the time spent and especially over the more lucrative cards out there.

Arthea

Ok, GMG support gave me credits for the reward I did. Now I was checking, and the rewards I did yesterday are listed but not marked as "completed". Ouch.

Their system is simply faulty.

it's beta, of course it's not perfect

edited: It got a lot better already, I had most rewards not to register at the beginning, now most do register.

Awesomenauts has I think 7 card drops that are worth 1-3p (as in what you'd get minus fees) at took me around 5 and a half hours to get all the drops. Really wasn't worth it over the time spent and especially over the more lucrative cards out there.

I thought, it has 1 card per hour drop rate... 5 hours is good result! (><)

Dr Dogg

I thought, it has 1 card per hour drop rate... 5 hours is good result! (><)

Fucked if I know I let Idle Master do all the leg work :p

All I know is that I've got 6.4 hours 'play time' some of which was just shy of an hour when I installed the game to decide it's not for me so I'm guessing that it took about 5 and a half hours or there abouts to get all the drops. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Dr Dogg

That's like filling a Lamborghini with piss.

Hahaha that's an odd analogy that made me chuckle

Not in 2014.

If you were building your own PC back in 2006 it was better to get a 64bit OS back then as Vista at least had them available at retail and very close to the same price, even more so with 7 where it was next to no difference in price and on the same install disc.

By that time I had gone through 2 AMD x64 CPUs and Intel were just coming out with consumer samples. By 2007 the Core Duo 2's hit the market and with memory prices being at quite a low switching over to 64bit was the sensible choice from a lot more things than gaming.

Actually on the gaming side of things it's only really got to the stage where it's been beneficial in the last couple of years as support was thin on the ground at best. Factor that in where cost and compatibility isn't an issue you shouldn't do anything but when building a PC.

Evrain

Anybody knows if Lords of Shadow 2 is going to get a super duper all in no holds barred edition anytime soon? It's 10 bucks (with region locks?) but I also found out they released a story DLC for it.

For something completely different, after narrowly repairing my dv7 I'm convinced I need a backup system, albeit compact and portable: which case you suggest to build a "Steam machine" without compromising processing power for the sake of size? Somethink akin to Valve's prototype or the Dell Aurora.

Arthea

If you were building your own PC back in 2006 it was better to get a 64bit OS back then as Vista at least had them available at retail and very close to the same price, even more so with 7 where it was next to no difference in price and on the same install disc.

By that time I had gone through 2 AMD x64 CPUs and Intel were just coming out with consumer samples. By 2007 the Core Duo 2's hit the market and with memory prices being at quite a low switching over to 64bit was the sensible choice from a lot more things than gaming.

Actually on the gaming side of things it's only really got to the stage where it's been beneficial in the last couple of years as support was thin on the ground at best. Factor that in where cost and compatibility isn't an issue you shouldn't do anything but when building a PC.
I'm not sure about it, I actually skipped vista, as many did, so I upgraded to 64bit only in 2009-10, I think. It does sound a bit odd to still have 32bit today, but let's imagine someone has a good PC that had no problems whatsoever and is not eager to update until those problems occur. I remember someone on steamgaf still runs with core duo too, for example.

That video...yes. It says me it's for 18 years oly, so do you need an account to watch it.

Copy the link, paste it into google, and then click the triangle below the link and go to "cached" Lets you circumvent age gating.

Well, you mean dick's? Lambo owner's seem to be douches. Let's get our supercar analogies straight.

I mean, that actually describes most Lambo owners. 32 bit in a 64 bit world.

Sounds like something a poor person would say.
334377879_1467315.gif

Dr Dogg

I'm not sure about it, I actually skipped vista, as many did, so I upgraded to 64bit only in 2009-10, I think. It does sound a bit odd to still have 32bit today, but let's imagine someone has a good PC that had no problems whatsoever and is not eager to update until those problems occur. I remember someone on steamgaf still runs with core duo too, for example.

See the thing is the vast majority of the limitations and problems I encountered with Vista wouldn't have mattered if I had a 32bit or 64bit OS as it was a problem with either. 7 really ironed everything out to a level where nothing really gets in the way for me from a productivity standpoint and there is nothing in 8 that entices me to move over like there was with 64bit support and exclusive API's. There are next to no 32bit CPUs made anymore except really small devices, even mobile phones are moving towards 64bit. On the desktop side of things unless you were buying real entry level stuff you more than likely would have a 64bit capable CPU in the last 10 years.

It's the software that has taken ages to catch up. Photoshop didn't release a 64bit executable that wasn't in beta until CS4 which was late 2008. Prior to that to take advantage of any extra memory you would have you have to have a whole host of plug-in to get things to work. Google have only just released a 64bit public beta of Chrome, in 2014!

There's nothing wrong with being ahead of the game but if everyone sticks with the old ways we will never make progress. So in short in you're on a 32bit OS and have a 64bit capable CPU get a cheap key off reddit or somewhere similar and get moved over!

Arthea

WinXP fanclub is still alive and kicking :)
7, 8 32 bit are also available for purchase.

that's less odd than having functional win2000 server still
which we have, yes (><)

It's the software that has taken ages to catch up. Photoshop didn't release a 64bit executable that wasn't in beta until CS4 which was late 2008. Prior to that to take advantage of any extra memory you would have you have to have a whole host of plug-in to get things to work. Google have only just released a 64bit public beta of Chrome, in 2014!

funny that you mention it. The main reason I was not in a hurry to upgrade to 64 was Adobe software (><)

Dr Dogg

Those cheeky buggers at Amazon have just cancelled my Rise of the Tomb Raider order telling me 'the manufacturer says they are no longer releasing the title'. And I got in on the quick fire pre order guarantee low price as well. I guess it's the old SE rapid discount waiting game for me now then huh. Well whenever it comes to PC.

Arthea

Those cheeky buggers at Amazon have just cancelled my Rise of the Tomb Raider order telling me 'the manufacturer says they are no longer releasing the title'. And I got in on the quick fire pre order guarantee low price as well. I guess it's the old SE rapid discount waiting game for me now then huh. Well whenever it comes to PC.

wait... it was possible to preorder it for PC? That makes me think, moneyhatting happened last minute or something.

still awaiting my Peggle 2 on PC (._.)
I have no faith in Tomb Raider appearing any time soon too.

wait... it was possible to preorder it for PC? That makes me think, moneyhatting happened last minute or something.

Amazon puts up entries for games all the time that are unlikely to come or just assumed to be a thing.

Dr Dogg

Amazon put it up at around E3 and if you were quick you could have snagged it for £30 or around that price until it went up to £49.99 like all placeholder prices. It had a ASIN so it was in their database but I guess after the Microsoft exclusive announcement it's been removed on behalf of Squenix or their distributor to Amazon. To be fair I think June 2016 is a rough estimate when it will turn up so it's not like I'm that fussed. My Eye's of Bayonetta preorder was on amazon for getting on 2 and a half years before it finally got released.

Arthea

Chivalry is -80% on gamersgate today

edited: base prices seems off again. Is it now a thing at gamersgate, or haven't I noticed them doing it before?

Amazon puts up entries for games all the time that are unlikely to come or just assumed to be a thing.

Amazon put it up at around E3 and if you were quick you could have snagged it for £30 or around that price until it went up to £49.99 like all placeholder prices. It had a ASIN so it was in their database but I guess after the Microsoft exclusive announcement it's been removed on behalf of Squenix or their distributor to Amazon. To be fair I think June 2016 is a rough estimate when it will turn up so it's not like I'm that fussed. My Eye's of Bayonetta preorder was on amazon for getting on 2 and a half years before it finally got released.

I don't use Amazon, so I had no idea how they roll, thanks.

saunderez

Old Steam is best Steam. You can tell its an application/set of web pages designed by programmers. So good.
It's not that anymore? I'm pretty sure it is. Can't believe they haven't come out with a native app by now, it's pretty awful all round IMO. The fact the whole app basically hangs when a game is installing is all I need to know it's terrible.

fantomena

So I have enough blue credits to get Warhammer: Kill Team from GamersGate. But is it worth it? Does not seem like there is anything else that is cheap enough for 4000 coins anyway and I buy stuff on GamersGate maybe 3-5 times a year.

So has there been any Dark Souls/GFWL news I might have missed? Last I knew, they pretty much said, "exploring options, it'll remain functional for the foreseeable future."

I really want to play it, but I have no interest in touching it until they've removed that virus.

Grief.exe

So has there been any Dark Souls/GFWL news I might have missed? Last I knew, they pretty much said, "exploring options, it'll remain functional for the foreseeable future."

I really want to play it, but I have no interest in touching it until they've removed that virus.

Not much, they laid the groundwork for achievements a few months ago but have otherwise been quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom