• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tellaerin

Not ever buying an HP laptop after one that I owned had heat issues similar to rrod.

Thankfully, new gaming laptops like the MSI Ghost and Razer Blade have more toned down aesthetic compared to the ghastly "Gamerz!!!" style of like, say Alienware.

After hearing the horror stories about the build quality of Razer peripherals, I'm not too sure I'd want to roll the dice on a big-ticket item like a laptop. ^^; Just sayin'.

Shadownet

Banned
Not ever buying an HP laptop after one that I owned had heat issues similar to rrod.

Thankfully, new gaming laptops like the MSI Ghost and Razer Blade have more toned down aesthetic compared to the ghastly "Gamerz!!!" style of like, say Alienware.

Yeah i had an HP laptop once. that shit got really hot. never again.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
That's been the majority of my experiences with laptops. Worst was dells where my battery on my laptop died out after a year and they tried to charge me 250$ just for a new battery. Love having a nice PC now, fuck laptops lol. My phone has basically become my laptop, except it's a pain to type on it.
You can get knock off batteries for really cheap. OEM stuff is a rip-off. My ASUS lappy is a rock.

Grief.exe

Saw isn't doing too well

YGuy2hK.png

Dr Dogg

Does anyone here play any Steam games on a Surface Pro? I'm trying to figure out which games on Steam will work well on it, like games with support for touch controls. My Nexus 7 died recently and I am thinking about getting a Surface Pro i7. Given that it has integrated graphics, I'm not expecting it to run Witcher 3 on max, but I am curious what games, if any, will play well on it.

Civ V does and is meant to be pretty good just using touch. Obviously resolution and other high graphics setting will have to be reigned in. I'd imagine quite a lot of mouse based games would be good as well. I've been toying with the idea of getting a Pro 2 when the Pro 3's come out over here as the prices are still a bit too steep for my tastes. Ideally though I'd use it as a streamer and let my main. PC do the leg work but I'd imagine easy to run stuff like UE3 games, Source Engine games and Dead Space would work quite well natively.

If you do go for one check out the Wacom Feel Drivers as they add decent pressure sensitivity to the digitiser (or stylus to most people) and offer better calibration than the standard Microsoft drivers and utils.

Salsa

nothing working with wolf

to be more clear the black screen is after the title. after pressing start and getting "connecting. ."

I had no issues before btw. this is just launching it now to play the last episode

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
After hearing the horror stories about the build quality of Razer peripherals, I'm not too sure I'd want to roll the dice on a big-ticket item like a laptop. ^^; Just sayin'.
That is disconcerting, but reviewers always say that the build quality is good. I like MSI better because it isn't as expensive.

In celebration of a certain something's third birthday (yes, it's what you think it is), here is my only spare copy of Saw:
Second best Saoirse avy. I had a dream about Saoirse the other day...

Yakkue

nothing working with wolf

to be more clear the black screen is after the title. after pressing start and getting "connecting. ."

I had no issues before btw. this is just launching it now to play the last episode

Maybe one of the solutions posted here could help?
Edit: According to that thread, the issue is known and being worked on by Telltale, so if nothing works you could just wait it out =/.

Jawmuncher

Saw isn't too bad of a game. Played it on PS3 awhile back. Had fun with it despite how janky it was sometimes. Its biggest problem is that it gets repetitive for a torture house and never really gets into dark material like it should.

Solstice made it through, awwwwww yeah.

I recognize Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet, Roommates, and Bionic Heart 2. The latter two are Winter Wolves VNs, and I think at this point my sentiments regarding them are known.

I'll look through the batch more thoroughly later.

Winter Wolves is AAA content every steam gaffer should play right.

the wolf among us is giving me a black screen after initial load. I can see the games cursor tho but nothing else

I'd reinstall but I'm scared of losing saves telltale style

dammit

Ummm... is your x360 controller plugged in?

Just got a backer email, Wasteland 2 has slipped to September.

Dammit. That's a game I'm waiting for to come out of early access for several reasons.

You... ask him? ;)

You have to curry his favor first.
Good luck with that.

Did you try changing the resolution? Not sure if that'd work with this game, but worth a try I guess.

What, huh, why... domo-kun?!

Civ V does and is meant to be pretty good just using touch. Obviously resolution and other high graphics setting will have to be rained in. I'd imagine quite a lot of mouse based games would be good as well. I've been toying with the idea of getting a Pro 2 when the Pro 3's come out over here as the prices are still a bit too steep for my tastes. Ideally though I'd use it as a streamer and let my main. PC do the leg work but I'd imagine easy to run stuff like UE3 games, Source Engine games and Dead Space would work quite well natively.

If you have one go check out the Wacom Feel Drivers as they add decent pressure sensitivity to the digitiser (or stylus to most people) and offer better calibration than the standard Microsoft drivers and utils.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking about picking up a Pro 3 this weekend and thought about playing FTL on it when I'm in bed or whatever. After looking it up, it turns out FTL is very doable, but takes some tweaking. Steam needs a section or a tag for this. I'll check out the Wacom drivers if I get one.

Ozium

For those holding out
irrational
hope:

"I can confirm that Devolver Digital indeed won't be giving out Steam keys for Hatoful Boyfriend." -Shifty Slug, Groupees HQ

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Maybe one of the solutions posted here could help?
Edit: According to that thread, the issue is known and being worked on by Telltale, so if nothing works you could just wait it out =/.

I have a bridge to sell anyone who genuinely believes Telltale will fix it. We're talking about a studio that over the course of more than half a decade never patched the bug that sees its games refuse to run if a controller is plugged in and present.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I have a bridge to sell anyone who genuinely believes Telltale will fix it. We're talking about a studio that over the course of more than half a decade never patched the bug that sees its games refuse to run if a controller is plugged in and present.

yeah ... they NEVER fix anything ... so - don't hold your breath ;)

Amzin

Worth the hassle, if you can make the game look like this in the end.
From our own dmix.

I think it looks beautiful and reminds me X-COM - The Bureau somehow.

Is there a thread that's from? I modded Skyrim to hell and back, but NV randomly crashes on me seemingly with completely safe mods, so I'd love to have some help fixing it so I can play it :p

Like, I have a few UI mods and it either locks up every so many loading screens or just craps out randomly in the world. Compared to skyrim where I have high-res textures for like everything, lighting changes, skill changes, new gear, etc. and it works fine :p

Knurek

Solstice made it through, awwwwww yeah.

I recognize Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet, Roommates, and Bionic Heart 2. The latter two are Winter Wolves VNs, and I think at this point my sentiments regarding them are known.

I'll look through the batch more thoroughly later.

Schein looked decent enough for GOG to carry it.
Out There seems like a good FTL-like, had a good write up @ RPS.

JaseC

oh wow thank you jasec :D
wasn't this game removed from steam?

It was removed in 2012, but for some reason Konami licensed the Saw IP again last year, circa the Halloween Sale, and so the game's been available since. At first I figured Konami was going to finish up the internal PC port of Saw 2, but the listing is as dead as ever... which just makes the situation all the more intriguing -- I mean, we're closing in on a year since Konami renewed the licence and yet nobody knows why it did so.

Saty

Is there any existing PC game that its owners able and want to put on Steam but it isn't still? If the answer is 'no' then shut down Greenlight and switch to the store-as-API phase.

No point in voting on incomplete games years away from release. When those games are ready just put them up for sale.

Jawmuncher

It was removed in 2012, but for some reason Konami licensed the Saw IP again last year, circa the Halloween Sale, and so the game's been available since. At first I figured Konami was going to finish up the internal PC port of Saw 2, but the listing is as dead as ever... which just makes the situation all the more intriguing -- I mean, we're closing in on a year since Konami renewed the licence and yet nobody knows why it did so.

Saws getting a reboot. Perhaps a new game as well?

JaseC

Is there any existing PC game that its owners able and want to put on Steam but it isn't still? If the answer is 'no' then shut down Greenlight and switch to the store-as-API phase.

No point in voting on incomplete games years away from release. When those games are ready just put them up for sale.

This is what Valve is cooking. The ETA back during Steam Dev Days was late this year/early next, but, you know, Valve Time.

JustLynx

weird indeed, maybe they're developing something but keeping it quiet
i guess time will tell

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What surprises me about the latest Greenlight batch is the lack of "vote to get a free key" games
(or maybe there are some here I've just missed?)
. I guess that tactic is so overused now that it doesn't have the same pull that it used to. Either that or Valve is wising up to these shenanigans.

Saty

This is what Valve is cooking. The ETA back during Steam Dev Days was late this year/early next, but, you know, Valve Time.

They should shut Greenlight down right now if there's nothing that is already ready to release. By the time most of the games that are on Greenlight finish development, Valve would have moved to a phase that wouldn't have required them to go through GL.

What surprises me about the latest Greenlight batch is the lack of "vote to get a free key" games
. I guess that tactic is so overused now that it doesn't have the same pull that it used to. Either that or Valve is wising up to these shenanigans.

Quiet you. I bought Gurumin on PSN already. I want my free copy on Steam.

JaseC

Saws getting a reboot. Perhaps a new game as well?

This would make sense as Lionsgate is hoping to have Saw VIII in theatres come Spring 2015, but, well, the first two games didn't exactly set sales charts on fire, so if Konami has been contracted to make a tie-in, I'd have to question the logic there.

Jawmuncher

They should shut Greenlight down right now if there's nothing that is already ready to release. By the time most of the games that are on Greenlight finish development, Valve would have moved to a phase that wouldn't have required them to go through GL.

You're getting a bit ahead of yourself especially with valve time being part of the mix. Game releases vary just like anything else. Just like valve changing to a new system is going to take some time. More than possible these games you're saying that take too long can be out on steam before a change in systems is placed.

Yakkue

I've recently played the first two Blackwell games. They are really short and rather on the easy side, but I'm enjoying the atmosphere and the characters a lot. I hope the following games in the series are a bit harder though.
Can recommend them so far if anyone is in the mood for a short (~2-3h) PnC!

What, huh, why... domo-kun?!

Do you like my new hair? ;)

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Winter Wolves is AAA content every steam gaffer should play right.

8Zh1K77.gif

In celebration of a certain something's third birthday (yes, it's what you think it is), here is my only spare copy of Saw:

If anyone deserves to win something horror related, it's Dusk Golem :p

Schein looked decent enough for GOG to carry it.
Out There seems like a good FTL-like, had a good write up @ RPS.

Briefly looked at Out There, looks pretty decent. Might have to keep an eye on it. Will look at Schein later.

I just realized that Gurumin wasn't in this batch, Valve might actually be doing something about that!

The sad part is that Gurumin is actually supposed to be good though, it's a shame that the devs/publisher went down that path in the first place :(

Jawmuncher

This would make sense as Lionsgate is hoping to have Saw VIII in theatres come Spring 2015, but, well, the first two games didn't exactly set sales charts on fire, so if Konami has been contracted to make a tie-in, I'd have to question the logic there.

Might have renewed the license just for mobile fare. Only thing I can think of.

Parsnip

Well, I fixed my fightpad, kind of. It works, but the d-pad still feels like shit. But then again, that's how it always felt like. They don't make 'em like they used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom