• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.
image.php

I7IrKMN.jpg

Pigeons make everything more scary, thus we should have more pigeons in horror games.

Elija2

About Gurumin and the fact this batch of Greenlight has only 50 games instead of 75, read this:
http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791435739418#announcements/detail/264903262702388107
Noted something? Yeas, there are at least five games of "Vote to obtain a steam key".
Maybe Valve take care of those which use this method to pass Greenlight?

They shouldn't have promised to give keys away, I'm sure they would have passed Greenlight regardless. Now who knows if they're stuck in Greenlight limbo.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I7IrKMN.jpg

Pigeons make everything more scary, thus we should have more pigeons in horror games.

6Z8d8zX.gif

No, but bird enemies in horror games are one of my big weaknesses, bird enemies always are harder to shoot in old horror games because of fixed-camera angles, how small they are, and how they go circling around you, and they often come in a pack. And even in not fixed games, often flying enemies can be a pain. I need to remember this fucking horror game I played that had flying enemies that could poison you in a game with limited poison healing items. Fucking A.

However, pigeon horror should slowly migrate to games from other mediums.

Pigeons1.jpg

41o9zjyFSZL._SX342_.jpg

MRORANGE

The OP's kind of wall-of-textish, and I think that intimidates some people, or causes them to tune out. The problem is that all the stuff in the OP is useful, so I can't really think of anything you could cut or condense to make it more easily digestible, either. (*insert rant about diminishing attention spans here* :p )

The OP is actually small compared to the Something Awful Steam thread, it will make you cry.

Knurek

Don't buy, community will be dead in two months, will go on sale afterwards, will end up in a bundle after that and then used as a modbot giveaway that nobody wants.

Yeah, you would think indie devs would finally realize nobody's really playing multi-only games...
Pity, the game looks nice, but I'm not expecting more than 20 concurrent week after launch. :\

Ozium

Does anyone have any insight into Expeditions: Conquistador? I initially wrote it off because I'm not big on RTSes but apparently it's Turn Based which has me interested...

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The secret to multi-only games with dead communities is to be part of a community of people you play games with. I have a group of friends in a chat I host with over 50+ people, we commonly gift and play games together, and people go out of their way to buy four-packs for giftable copies and such.

It solves any dead community problems if you have other people yourself to play with, and can be a lot of fun.

Yeah, you would think indie devs would finally realize nobody's really playing multi-only games...
Pity, the game looks nice, but I'm not expecting more than 20 concurrent week after launch. :\

I just think the community is different today. I am sure about 10-15 years ago, if such a game would be released, it wouldnt be a problem to build up a community for such a game.

I personally would go as far and say that the PC-gaming community was far more "hardcore" than nowadays

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I did the lord's work.

Hi,

Back in June (or perhaps even earlier), a game collector badge for those with 3000+ games was uploaded to Steam's CDN: http://steamcommunity-a.akamaihd.net/public/images/badges/13_gamecollector/3000.png To date, it has yet to be implemented, so I thought I'd submit this support ticket as a reminder as the badge seems to have fallen to the wayside due to what I'm sure are more pressing matters than a simple Steam Community icon.

Thanks, and in the words of the automated Black Mesa PA system, have a very safe and productive day.

(It's ~5:30am and I had nothing better to do.)

Timeaisis

Yeah I got my key from Groupees earlier today.. Dev is honest!

What's your steam name I added "Timeaisis" but you havent been online for 29 days

Yeah, that's me! I've been using a dev account for a while and have been trying to get this ready for steam release so I haven't been on my real account in a while haha.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the game! :)

Nzyme32

The OP's kind of wall-of-textish, and I think that intimidates some people, or causes them to tune out. The problem is that all the stuff in the OP is useful, so I can't really think of anything you could cut or condense to make it more easily digestible, either. (*insert rant about diminishing attention spans here* :p )

The OP in this thread is usually the best part

Ozium

Yeah, that's me! I've been using a dev account for a while and have been trying to get this ready for steam release so I haven't been on my real account in a while haha.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the game! :)

oh you are the dev of the Sun at Night?

congrats on release

edit: will play it later and post my thoughts in the thread

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Completely relevant

Saty

One might say that because ES makes that player info so readily available it dissuades people interested in the game from buying it.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have any insight into Expeditions: Conquistador? I initially wrote it off because I'm not big on RTSes but apparently it's Turn Based which has me interested...

It's a decent turn based historical game mixed with party management aspects. The only RTS related thing about it is exploration on the map, the actual battles are turn based. Think something like King's Bounty mixed with shades of something like Oregon Trail. The writing is great, there's a lot of classic WRPG style dialogue trees in the game that flesh out the game's world and characters. The best part is that it's actually one of the better historically based games that I can think of. It's not a romanticized version of the discovery of the new world, and that's really refreshing. It does get a bit repetitive though.

The OST is excellent, better than I expected, especially in regards to the overworld themes. Xaltocan is so good.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
One might say that because ES makes that player info so readily available it dissuades people interested in the game from buying it.

"Steam users will buy anything at the right price" is an incontrovertible truth that applies to more than just those such as myself. I mean, when YNAB4 went on sale for the first time, it was one of the leading titles of the Top Sellers list -- there's a delicious irony in that.

Jawmuncher

"Steam users will buy anything at the right price" is an incontrovertible truth that applies to more than just those such as myself. I mean, when YNAB4 went on sale for the first time, it was one of the leading titles of the Top Sellers list -- there's a delicious irony in that.

Reminds me I bought that but have never used it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Fair enough. But it's kind of the classic "chicken and the egg" scenario. Do people not buy MP only games because nobody is playing them, or is nobody playing them because people aren't buying them?

The reason the info is there front and center in Enhanced Steam is to help give people an idea of how active the MP community is - before Enhanced Steam
or conversely, without it
it used to be common for people to buy MP only games and get instantly frustrated that nobody was playing it. I don't think developers want that either.

Nabs

Adultswim is publishing a new game called Mega Coin Squad

It looks like a 4p local multiplayer game

Fair enough. But it's kind of the classic "chicken and the egg" scenario. Do people not buy MP only games because nobody is playing them, or is nobody playing them because people aren't buying them?

The reason the info is there front and center in Enhanced Steam is to help give people an idea of how active the MP community is - before Enhanced Steam
or conversely, without it
it used to be common for people to buy MP only games and get instantly frustrated that nobody was playing it. I don't think developers want that either.

Was burnt twice. First Nexuiz, which I bought. Then Air Bucanneers (which I, thank god, got in a bundle).
Both communities were dead at release...

Saty

Buying something during a sale is one of the behaviors i think the YNAB makers are looking to instill with their product :)

ezodagrom

So, after 3 years of ignoring issues and not even fixing the configuration tool in the game (which was fixable with a single registry key), SEGA is doing something about Sonic Adventure DX (and other Dreamcast Collection games) on Steam. o_o

SEGA said:
Hi all,

You may have noticed some new things crop up in our existing Dreamcast collection on Steam, such as achievements. Currently this content isn’t accessible but it’s part of an initiative from SEGA over the next few months which is going to improve the player experience for these titles. We don’t have an exact date for these improvements just yet but please bear with us, we’ll keep you posted with more information just as soon as we’re able to.

Thanks for your patience.

SEGA
http://steamcommunity.com/app/71250/discussions/0/34093781657096473/

Knurek

Haven't we completely discredited SteamCharts data when it comes to game profitability yet?
I mean, sure, it's a good to give you absolute minimum of game sales, and whether people are playing the game, but seriously...
Ys: Oath in Felghana - great success for XSEED, jump-started all their releases - 438 all-time peak.
Dustforce - 300,000 sales according to the developer data, 325 all-time peak.
Eldritch - 32,000 sales at start of 2014 according to the developer data, 383 all-time peak.
Cook, Serve, Delicious - 55,000 sales at start of 2014 according to chubby, 1443 all-time peak.

Terra_Ex

It's turn based with a hex grid system iirc, Pork's comparison to King's Bounty is pretty apt, in fact that's the only thing I didn't like about the game - that your player character doesn't participate in battles... That aside, I found it to be a great game, challenging and a lot of fun to play. Fantastic writing, great music, multiple endings, random events, yeah it's just great - totally flew under my radar and certainly one of the better games I've played this year. It's in a bundle too atm I think so you've got nothing to lose, hell, when I finished I honestly wished I could have the devs more money for the game.

Grief.exe

This is massive first world problems.

I got new case fans that push more air, yet make almost no noise. Now the fan noise from my GPUs during game sessions is unbearable.

I do have headphones on so I really don't notice, but it is very loud.

Ozium

GLHF

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ozium, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Knytt Underground -- MB-1049F8CEC2F39459 - Taken by Double. 4 entrants total.

t1406930306z1.png

Knurek

This is massive first world problems.

I got new case fans that push more air, yet make almost no noise. Now the fan noise from my GPUs during game sessions is unbearable.

I do have headphones on so I really don't notice, but it is very loud.

This is why I'm switching my 6770 (loud as fuck) to a GTX 750 Ti (which is supposedly completely inaudible under load).

Jawmuncher

Lomax

We all know getting on Steam isn't instant wealth, it never has been. But it is to a certain extent a minimum requirement if you are to hope to have significant success, and there's tons of stories to back that up. The problem is, everyone thinks their game will be the next big thing, and when it isn't, they always look for some explanation other than bad luck (or the more likely explanation, that their game just isn't that special).

We are still seeing indie games dominate the top 10 sales, many of them from the moment of release (or before), others from particular sales. Great games are getting the attention they deserve. Maybe certain niche games are getting lost in the shuffle, but creators of those games should know how to appeal to their niche without needing Steam exposure to do it for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom