• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

Do we really need people to stink up the Steam thread with these advertisements? Go post it in the Origin thread where people may care.

You know me, I love Origin too much to let go. One day it will rise and I will be able to say that I've done my part. Also their icon is much nicer than the Steam one. Uplay too. Come at me!

So like this then

but the square to be a similar blue or grey to other Windows icons? I've just remebered that the sizes have all changed now due to Metro and there's support for wide icons as well so might be a bigger job than I have time for.

Normal icons for desktop apps can't be made wide on the start screen. Or at least I haven't found one that can, only real start screen apps can. But yeah, looks good to me. Though using that there then would be an inconsistency with the small icon in the tray on the lower right which now looks especially fuzzy due to the gradient.

Hm, I guess, it might be better without the gradient but I don't think it looks bad as it is now.

Of course, I'm not sitting here screaming at my screen, we'll all get used to it.

yuraya

You know me, I love Origin too much to let go. One day it will rise and I will be able to say that I've done my part. Also their icon is much nicer than the Steam one. Uplay too. Come at me!

With all these free Origin games its only a matter of time until everyone here abandons Steam and joins the Origin overlords. Its inevitable.

Dr Dogg

Normal icons for desktop apps can't be made wide on the start screen. Or at least I haven't found one that can, only real start screen apps can. But yeah, looks good to me. Though using that there then would be an inconsistency with the small icon in the tray on the lower right which now looks especially fuzzy due to the gradient.

I'm not sure how smart Windows is at selecting the right icon for the right environment these days but I think in 8 providing you have it set to the right size scaling is pretty good. So you can bundle a few sizes together, even different ratios and it should detect which to use where. So...

kEVCTR5.png

xKENlj5.png

But I think Desktop icons still need to be in the old legacy sizes so 256x256 is the maximum they will ever be.

Scipius

Your penchant for masochism is well known ;)

Still though, there's a reason the Origin thread is moribund. Let us embrace that fact, not try to prevent it.

Morning everyone! Since we're speaking about windows 8 I have a question, anyone know of a windows 8 tablet that can play some games on steam, like say South park, civ5, and other not so demanding games? Also it would be even better if it has a HDMI out so I can connect it to my TV every now and then to watch movies and stream more demanding games

derExperte

Your penchant for masochism is well known ;)

Still though, there's a reason the Origin thread is moribund. Let us embrace that fact, not try to prevent it.

Sorry, can't do if I think a deal is really good. And playing Garden Warfare for a few hours for free is really good. I also always give a fair warning at the beginning if my post is Origin-related.

A competent Qix clone, worth the dollar.

With all these free Origin games its only a matter of time until everyone here abandons Steam and joins the Origin overlords. Its inevitable.

I assume those freebies get a lot of activity hence the introduction of a whole program based on them called EA "I don't remember the specific name now but it's the PSN clone".
And they want to leave a good impression with all these high quality games in it.

derExperte

Rooms got cards, it sold badly so they should be worth something and I have a 75% voucher. But I can't use the market for another week and it could very well appear in a bundle until then. Harsh times.

https://twitter.com/EvilAFM/status/500180236122980352

hahahah, knew it

Fukuy guys and I did not see anything in the valve stand. It was a little joke ... that I've seen my tweet on reddit and people speculating .... :(

people should really stop this btw. Don't they know how agitated (non-GaaS) Valve fans are?

So uh is it simply enabled for everyone but it's still beta?

it shouldn't be. Last time it was still tied to the beta client. I see the label, but doesn't work for me. Dunno.

Happy birthday to me! Bought myself a copy of GalCivIII to celebrate, which alongside the Elite: Dangerous beta access I bought as an early present last week means I spent way too much on myself. Now to just get through the work day so I can have a few rums and get into some drunken gaming.
Happy Birthday my man! ;)
Do we really need people to stink up the Steam thread with these advertisements? Go post it in the Origin thread where people may care.
I almost fell for it :p
Thanks to folks like derExperte I got many great games from Origin.
"MGS5 is coming to Steam?! You can buy things in yen? Has Steam's time come?" basically.
First Japanese comment is "It would be nice if GG with online play was on there"
Okay, you are a game dev, you speak German, Dutch and now Japanese, too.
Who or better, what in the world are you? Jack of all trades.
How are you not working for a big game dev instead of being indie with all these - and not known to me yet - credentials? ;)
Soon.... I want Vita version though. Add to your wishlists :)
I hear people liking the first one. I should get it at some point.

Parsnip

I imagine it's similar to what was done for Mass Effect 3. Basically allowing you to make all the decisions of the previous games without playing through them.

it shouldn't be. Last time it was still tied to the beta client. I see the label, but doesn't work for me. Dunno.

They added the options page and library sorting for it in yesterdays stable client update. I don't actually know if it works because I'm not going to use Steam to play music.

EDIT: Totally works, adding a library folder in desktop mode didn't seem to work (maybe I did it wrong), but in big picture it added just fine. Playing works in desktop mode though as well.

Lomax

Seems unlikely they'll get rid of TF2 and CS:GO keys, I don't think the chinese market for FPS is nearly as large and appealing as it could be for DOTA2, so it seems pretty unlikely Valve would remove something so integral from TF2 (and something so new from CS:GO). Valve must not see the key/chest market as being important to the monetization of DOTA2 if they are willing to give that up to expand the market size.

It is interesting that China seems to be the only country that takes addictive gaming seriously and endeavors to put some controls and limitations on it.

JustLynx

Seems unlikely they'll get rid of TF2 and CS:GO keys, I don't think the chinese market for FPS is nearly as large and appealing as it could be for DOTA2, so it seems pretty unlikely Valve would remove something so integral from TF2 (and something so new from CS:GO). Valve must not see the key/chest market as being important to the monetization of DOTA2 if they are willing to give that up to expand the market size.

It is interesting that China seems to be the only country that takes addictive gaming seriously and endeavors to put some controls and limitations on it.

sorry for the ignorance, but what happened with china that affects dota 2?

Zeknurn

Anteater

Finished Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae on normal, game is pretty fun, it could use a bit more polishing, but what it offers are pretty decent, it's kind of like a Musou and a bit of Devil May Cry but with its own decent mechanics. Been kind of mashing through the game though since I didn't really learn how to use some of the skills until near the end when fighting bosses, but the game is quite short so I'll probably replay it a bit as it seems to have multiple difficulties, and it feels like I barely used any of the moves (they're unlockables) from my first playthrough.

Game is pretty flashy and is cool once you get the hang of the controls.

http://a.pomf.se/uabash.webm

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I didn't frequent the threads about it, but I don't (want to) believe some people were hoping it was an exclusive since it would make little sense for a new Silent Hill to be exclusive.

Nobody did. Just acting hostile to console owners as usual.

Lomax

My computer is resisting the Steam update, it can't handle the change!

Is witcher 1 enhanced edition still worth to play?

Absolutely, though if you played Witcher 2 be aware that the first one plays a lot differently in terms of combat mechanics and takes some getting used to.

sorry for the ignorance, but what happened with china that affects dota 2?

Keys are being removed from DOTA2 and apparently Chinese regulations are the reason. There's some discussion of it on the past few pages of this thread.

derExperte

I didn't frequent the threads about it, but I don't (want to) believe some people were hoping it was an exclusive since it would make little sense for a new Silent Hill to be exclusive.

Sorry to tell you this but yes, there are people on GAF who openly hope for games to be exclusives for no good reason and celebrate if it happens.

Sarcasm

Question on Origin and free play thing..game is installed and not yet ran. So it says game time will start when game is launched, my question is how long do I got to activate it? I assume once activate it stays free for the allotted time it mentions.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Happy birthday to me! Bought myself a copy of GalCivIII to celebrate, which alongside the Elite: Dangerous beta access I bought as an early present last week means I spent way too much on myself. Now to just get through the work day so I can have a few rums and get into some drunken gaming.

Happy Birthday!

some men just want to watch the world burn
Brings up a good point....Does PC/Steam have any PC-Exclusive Crusaders here on GAF?

Only for the legitimate complaint that complexity in certain types of games is drastically reduced to accommodate the limited range of a console controller and games become a series of small rooms or discrete areas to fit within the hardware limitations. Or in rarer cases, the game difficulty or ambiguity is reduced so that a wider audience can be rewarded for just participating and mindlessly following quest markers.

Lomax

Sorry to tell you this but yes, there are people on GAF who openly hope for games to be exclusives for no good reason and celebrate if it happens.
A very special kind of person.
Sadly, both console camps have them, for some reason.

It's human nature to try to justify one's own decisions, and for most people, which gaming system to buy is a fairly significant and expensive choice. It's why rational arguments in either direction are pointless, you're fighting against an irrational and ingrained aspect of humanity as a whole.

derExperte

Question on Origin and free play thing..game is installed and not yet ran. So it says game time will start when game is launched, my question is how long do I got to activate it? I assume once activate it stays free for the allotted time it mentions.

Pretty long I guess. If you look at the page with 'free' games you'll see that BF4 is listed but not available anymore, but it basically says 'if you downloaded BF4 Game Time but haven't played do it now'. So downloading is the important part. I wouldn't wait too long though.

Turfster

Indiegala Friday Special Bundle
Price: 2.99$
  • Gateways
  • Restaurant Empire II
  • Home Sheep Home 2
  • LogiGun
  • Hero of the Kingdom
  • InFlux
  • Hamilton's Great Adventure
  • Rocketbirds
  • Ravaged Zombie Apocalypse
  • Luna: Shattered Hearts (GL)
  • Wooden floor (GL)
  • Pahelika: Revelations (GL)

Komedy

Neo Member
Indie Gala "FRIDAY SPECIAL #5” IS LIVE!

Special 24 hour launch price! Pay $2.99 or more and get the full Bundle consisting of these 9 STEAM GAMES and 3 Desura titles!

•Gateways (STEAM)
•Restaurant Empire II (STEAM).
•Home Sheep Home 2 (STEAM).
•LogiGun (STEAM)
•Hero Of The Kingdom (STEAM)
•InFlux (STEAM)
•Hamilton's Great Adventure (STEAM)
•Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken (STEAM)
•Ravaged Zombie Apocalypse (STEAM)
•Luna Shattered Hearts Episode 1 (DESURA) Vote for it, check the Greelight Page
•Wooden Floor (DESURA) Vote for it, check the Greelight Page
•Pahelika: Revelations (DESURA) Vote for it, check the Greelight Page

https://www.indiegala.com/friday

saunderez

Thanks for all the birthday well wishes fellas. It is now officially not my birthday, though I am continuing drinking since I started the celebration so late. Special thanks to freshVeggie who gifted me Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator. Been wanting to try it out for a while, now I just gotta convince a bunch of other people that they want to play it too.

So, um, AssCreed 4 looks real nice once i could get triple buffering going but, man, this is the first time in the series where i'm playing a game and thinking "there's nothing new here."

Truthfully, i'm only about an hour or so into it but boy this intro isn't doing much for me. I know people complained a bit about AC3's intro but i actually found it to be the best part of the whole thing and possibly the best section in all Asscreed games. The differences in animation from the previous games was immediately noticeable and you really felt like you were playing some next level shit. ACIV just seems like AC3: Caribbean edition so far and, unless it picks up soon enough, i get the feeling that all of the praise AC4 got was simply because a lot of people skipped out on AC3.

Turfster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom