• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Grief. Will look into those.
Well, even some cheap headphones and a zalman clip on(or modmic as already linked) mic should be better. Hard to suggest an exact pair of headphones without a budget. If you look at the headphone thread( http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417447 ) there's a load listed you could check out. Or even ask, specifying your budget etc, they're pretty good at recommending headphones.
I forgot there was a headphone thread, thanks also.
I would be willing to join. I've barely played CS:GO, and I only have played on Warcraft servers so far (which seem worse than the ones in CS:S). In other words, I suck.
Join the CS server and we can fuck around with no worries :p

Good. Gunslinger is really all I cared about anyways. I hadn't played FarCry 3, so I was just going to supplement Blood Dragon for that.

Is uPlay as intrusive as say Starforce or whatever? I just don't want issues with cards other than from their games themselves.
Its not intrusive, people hate it for needing to press extra buttons to play, occasional save deleting and sometimes very backwards patching method.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of fenners, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (fenners, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

International Snooker -- MB-DF3E082E947A9ACF - Taken by factorone. 4 entrants total.

t1408240939z1.png

Ha, I will. Don't play MP usually, so facing human adversaries shocks me. Got used to predictable AI.
I find it hard though since quite some time to even start up a game. Trying to convince myself this will change when I get a better PC but maybe I am tricking myself.

Since MGS got revealed, it got me thinking. Console stuff gets leaked all the time. But this just happened. I can't get rid of the suspicion we have friends here who knew about MGS. Grief and JaseC have good contacts with devs and pubs, right? Either they can keep a secret or I am too sleep deprived and imagine things.

JaseC works for Valve's customer support and Grief.exe is a well know infiltred Steam shill here on GAF.
j/k ;)

Will try to stay awake for Shadows stream. 4am though -.-

Man, that Be Mine Bundle 13 from Groupees was awesome. Longest Journey and Miasmata for 4 bucks!?

Eternia

So GAF, I just did this.

Took one of my old wired 360 controllers, replaced the thumbsticks for a new pair and switched the old D-Pad for a transformable D-Pad.

Really fun and feels great.
Does the dpad work fine? I thought I remembered there being potential issues with older controllers (I could be wrong). You could have taken one step further and found the sticks from the transforming dpad controller too. Ended up hating those worn little nubs.

Either way, getting those three pieces replaced is worth the effort.

Mono

So GAF, I just did this.

Took one of my old wired 360 controllers, replaced the thumbsticks for a new pair and switched the old D-Pad for a transformable D-Pad.

Really fun and feels great.

The original 360 d-pad looks like it feels awful to use! :X I've never had an Xbox.

Tellaerin

So, while I'm attempting to avoid Star Citizen and Elite for now while they're still in development, due to a lack of being arsed with alphas and betas just now, does anyone have any recommendations for similar games that would fulfil my itch? I've dabbled in EVE but that's about it really.

Since you mentioned EVE and Elite, I'm guessing you're looking for space games that involve trading and combat.

Darkstar One is an older game, but it might scratch that particular itch. It's included in the Patricians and Merchants bundle along with two other games (Patrician III and The Great Art Race). The bundle's on sale right now for $1.59 (Darkstar One by itself is usually $9.99).

If you're looking for something a little more obscure, you might also want to take a look at Space Rangers HD. It's not played from a first person perspective and the visuals, while nice, are a tad dated (it's an enhanced HD remake of Space Rangers 2, a 2006 game), but if you can look past the presentation, there's a lot here to like. Trading and space combat in a sandbox galaxy with an overarching plotline that evolves as you play, RTS (!) and text adventure (!!) segments, competing AI ship captains... good stuff.

I haven't yet finished it, but I think 4 hours is enough to give you some impressions (will you need them for this, I wonder?) for Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death.

The story: Read the name the same way you would "Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light." Marlow Briggs is a firefighter (who they call a "smokejumper" a few times, I'm not sure if that's some kind of specialty) on a quest to save his girlfriend from the clutches of the evil Mr. Long. Helping him is a vaguely South American god who takes the form of a mask, and who names Marlow the "Sacred Warrior." Overall the story is pretty cheesy and over-the-top, but if you shut your brain off you can enjoy it. Oddly enough, the story both explains Marlow's buff physique (his job) as well as the reason he can continue from checkpoints after you screw up and he dies (god can continue to resurrect him.) Dialogue veers between bad, weird, hilarious, and combinations thereof. You can tell the voice actor for Marlow was really getting into it. He adds his own interjections off-script like "Ey!" and "MMM-hmm." His battle cries for magical freezing include "Freeze, motherfucker!" and "Aw, sleet, sleet, sleet!" just so you know what you're in for.

The graphics: Not bad for a budget title. Marlow doesn't appear to change facial expressions ever, which is one minor complaint. But monsters and humans alike look decent with no hints of uncanny valley. Cutscenes come in two forms: one is the standard kind from just about all third-person games, and the other is far more interesting. It's like a series of tableaux: they move the camera around a still scene, but after a while the characters are placed differently. They make it feel like the action scenes in comic books, only in 3D. Why they made an achievement for "skip every cutscene" is beyond me, because they really are worth seeing.

The gameplay: When I first heard of it, a lot of people compared it to God of War. I've never played God of War, but to me it felt like a combination of a linear Darksiders and the middle-era Tomb Raiders (right down to the blocks with a handle on each side.) There's even a hint of Arkham as you mount enemies to fight other enemies. Don't expect terrific tight controls - you can miss activating a health restore while right next to it, or snap right onto it from a step away. Also expect frustrating quicktime events: Button prompts are top center in red, while mash prompts are bottom right in white for some reason. Some enemies can take dozens of hits, but I can't tell if that's only because I was "upgraded" to a long-range whip that might be naturally weaker. It's not really explained what the pros and cons of your weapons are or if they upgrade in all respects and it's just the enemies are getting disproportionately hit-spongier.

The music: It's got some good action music, but at times it forgets to turn off the action music after you've beaten all the enemies in an area.

The verdict: It's good! It's not great, but it's good! And I'm talking unironically here. You'd think a game that's currently on sale for $1.24 would be garbage, but no! If you don't expect groundbreaking, if you don't expect super polished, but you want a cheap, playable, fun time, you owe it to yourself to give this a try, motherfucker. MMM-hmm.

I haven't yet finished it, but I think 4 hours is enough to give you some impressions (will you need them for this, I wonder?) for Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death.

The story: Read the name the same way you would "Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light." Marlow Briggs is a firefighter (who they call a "smokejumper" a few times, I'm not sure if that's some kind of specialty) on a quest to save his girlfriend from the clutches of the evil Mr. Long. Helping him is a vaguely South American god who takes the form of a mask, and who names Marlow the "Sacred Warrior." Overall the story is pretty cheesy and over-the-top, but if you shut your brain off you can enjoy it. Oddly enough, the story both explains Marlow's buff physique (his job) as well as the reason he can continue from checkpoints after you screw up and he dies (god can continue to resurrect him.) Dialogue veers between bad, weird, hilarious, and combinations thereof. You can tell the voice actor for Marlow was really getting into it. He adds his own interjections off-script like "Ey!" and "MMM-hmm." His battle cries for magical freezing include "Freeze, motherfucker!" and "Aw, sleet, sleet, sleet!" just so you know what you're in for.

The graphics: Not bad for a budget title. Marlow doesn't appear to change facial expressions ever, which is one minor complaint. But monsters and humans alike look decent with no hints of uncanny valley. Cutscenes come in two forms: one is the standard kind from just about all third-person games, and the other is far more interesting. It's like a series of tableaux: they move the camera around a still scene, but after a while the characters are placed differently. They make it feel like the action scenes in comic books, only in 3D. Why they made an achievement for "skip every cutscene" is beyond me, because they really are worth seeing.

The gameplay: When I first heard of it, a lot of people compared it to God of War. I've never played God of War, but to me it felt like a combination of a linear Darksiders and the middle-era Tomb Raiders (right down to the blocks with a handle on each side.) There's even a hint of Arkham as you mount enemies to fight other enemies. Don't expect terrific tight controls - you can miss activating a health restore while right next to it, or snap right onto it from a step away. Also expect frustrating quicktime events: Button prompts are top center in red, while mash prompts are bottom right in white for some reason. Some enemies can take dozens of hits, but I can't tell if that's only because I was "upgraded" to a long-range whip that might be naturally weaker. It's not really explained what the pros and cons of your weapons are or if they upgrade in all respects and it's just the enemies are getting disproportionately hit-spongier.

The music: It's got some good action music, but at times it forgets to turn off the action music after you've beaten all the enemies in an area.

The verdict: It's good! It's not great, but it's good! And I'm talking unironically here. You'd think a game that's currently on sale for $1.24 would be garbage, but no! If you don't expect groundbreaking, if you don't expect super polished, but you want a cheap, playable, fun time, you owe it to yourself to give this a try, motherfucker. MMM-hmm.

A well spent .99

Shadownet

Banned
The next time I'm doing this is either when I'm rich or hell freezes over. :p Thanks for watching guys. I know I'm not as fun as Paul. but hope you like my sad face.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of darkchewie, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (darkchewie, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

100% Orange Juice #2 -- MB-CE008BC5860204FC - Taken by fenners. 7 entrants total.
100% Orange Juice -- MB-F72BE9363BB8CC39 - Taken by Snakethesniper. 7 entrants total.

t1408285098z1.png

The next time I'm doing this is either when I'm rich or hell freezes over. :p Thanks for watching guys. I know I'm not as fun as Paul. but hope you like my sad face.
You are much younger than I thought. I was expecting a mid 30/40 year old guy.
Also, even sad you looked kinda happy lol

At least you learned the dangers of gambling first hand now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom