• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strider

I did my first competitive match of CS:GO and it was pretty fun. I was complete and utter trash, but it ended up being a tie. The people in my team were actually really nice, they gave me some tips and not once did they insult me, though I did hear some sighs when I was last alive(but I don't blame them, after all, i only ended up getting 6 kills). I guess I got lucky since all I ever hear is that the comp scene is full of asshats.)

Do what Pheonix said. Playing with other Gaf members is great. No way I'm ever gonna solo queue. They've been really patient with me as a learn the game and I'm basically always last place on our team.

I even killed Cheddahz in a match earlier and he didn't get mad lol A random wouldve flamed me until the end of the game (and probably after) :p

And of course we got you set up for the Gaf game nights now and those are great fun too.

Is this the right GAF server? 64.237.38.122:27315

If it is, what is the password? Also, is there a certain day that the server is played? I have only seen it empty.

I am thinking of doing my first comp. match with randoms. Should I try?

I usually schedule game nights for the server here. I can get something going for tomorrow since we have a bunch of fresh CSGO players from this weekend's sale.

Quote to reveal password.

we joined a game and my cat jump on top of my computer and his paw hit the reset button

Sure blame the cat.
I still haven't seen the picture.

Ryne

A gift link for those who missed out:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ryne, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Tropico 4 Collector's Bundle -- MB-8350817C6067BFA8 - Taken by topyy. 6 entrants total.

t1408249460z1.png

Dunno if you guys heard about it, but it seems Hotline Miami 2 got leaked(as in, some guy stole the game from a journalist), and he's streaming the game. Devolver is on the stream chat, not giving a damn.

Dunno if you guys heard about it, but it seems Hotline Miami 2 got leaked(as in, some guy stole the game from a journalist), and he's streaming the game. Devolver is on the stream chat, not giving a damn.

Where is this happening?

Link if you have one would be awesome.

On a side note, I'm always impressed at Devolver's community interaction and customer friendly approaches to game design. Will happily support their future games even if I don't play them.

Edit: And of course he stops streaming just now haha

September 19th apparently confirmed for release date (if that wasn't publicized already I'm not sure)

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I finished up Anodyne today.

Probably one of the best Zelda clones I've played so far... but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. The dungeon design wasn't as tight, as there were rooms that were completely extraneous and had nothing worthwhile to them, like a chest or something. The puzzles were good, and bosses were pretty tough. Platforming was a big hassle sometimes, especially when those pink tracks were involved. The plot was completely incomprehensible. It tried so hard to be deep, but it never formed into an overarching narrative. The writing left a lot to be desired.

It did rip off some stuff I appreciated from older 2D Zelda games, like jumping and simple combat. Also this is a thing that happened:

Lomax

I finished up Anodyne today.

Probably one of the best Zelda clones I've played so far... but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. The dungeon design wasn't as tight, as there were rooms that were completely extraneous and had nothing worthwhile to them, like a chest or something. The puzzles were good, and bosses were pretty tough. Platforming was a big hassle sometimes, especially when those pink tracks were involved. The plot was completely incomprehensible. It tried so hard to be deep, but it never formed into an overarching narrative. The writing left a lot to be desired.

It did rip off some stuff I appreciated from older 2D Zelda games, like jumping and simple combat. Also this is a thing that happened:

I mostly ended up disappointed that it really seemed to get lost in its own weirdness. That and I had to look up a few puzzles because the graphic style made the simple solutions completely not apparent. In the end I much preferred Ittle Dew.

Thanks, welp, anyone want in in that case? It's $4.50 each. From what I've heard it's totally worth 5 bucks.

Great game, totally worth it. Just the right length and lots of fun.

Nice, new icons in the OP. Makes it easier to find those threads and dang, missed Shadownet's case opening. Hopefully, you get some good stuff next time. :)

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I mostly ended up disappointed that it really seemed to get lost in its own weirdness. That and I had to look up a few puzzles because the graphic style made the simple solutions completely not apparent. In the end I much preferred Ittle Dew.

Yeah, I had problems with the graphic style too, especially when it was in black and white. For example, I couldn't find the switch to open some gates in Young Town, for the evil townsfolk card.

And yeah, it was just weird for the sake of being weird most times.

My steam client is being dumb and won't apply the Aug 14 update. It bugs me about the update, I say "yeah ok, restart", and despite all the progress bars and crap, when it relaunches it's still the old version and bugs me about the update again. How can I fix it?

Lomax

Yeah, I had problems with the graphic style too, especially when it was in black and white. For example, I couldn't find the switch to open some gates in Young Town, for the evil townsfolk card.

And yeah, it was just weird for the sake of being weird most times.

I remember one of the "puzzles" I couldn't figure out was literally nothing but hitting a spot with the weapon, but the layout of the room caused me to never even think that was an option. I was so annoyed I almost stopped playing. In the end I only finished it because I knew it wasn't super long.

My steam client is being dumb and won't apply the Aug 14 update. It bugs me about the update, I say "yeah ok, restart", and despite all the progress bars and crap, when it relaunches it's still the old version and bugs me about the update again. How can I fix it?

A few of us have had that problem, restarting your computer seems to make it stick.

Khronico

Alright PSA time!

AGE OF EMPIRES 2 HD SUNDAY GAME NIGHT 7PM PST
Age_Of_Empires_2_HD_Edition_53386.jpg

Tomorrow night at 7pm PST, I will be hosting matches of AOE2HD, and your invited! If you would like to play a match or two, go ahead and say so and I'll add you to the list:

1. Khronico
2. ????
3. ????
4. ????

Also, if you have a preferred game mode you would like to play, make your voice heard and I'll make a strawpoll with the 4 most popular choices. The winner will be the inaugural match of the night!
This is my first time hosting internet matches so it may or not be lag free. It probably won't.

I really like how friendly to the community Devolver can be at times. That coupled with them publishing some good indie games makes me respect the company a lot.

Hype intensifies.
in the end, they even ended up gifting the streamer the first HM2 steam key and a bunch of devolver published games :p

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Infinite Justice, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae -- MB-2D8507059EBB587E - Taken by Rnr1224. 24 entrants total.

t1408256900z1.png

Koodo

Banned
Mac struggle:

Can't get the overlay to work in the new update even after giving Steam control of the computer in the Accessibility panel. H e l p.

tylerf

Made the craziest shot in pool nation and the game crashed when I alt tabbed to open a recording program. Should have saved the replay first :(

Omega

Banned
I usually schedule game nights for the server here. I can get something going for tomorrow since we have a bunch of fresh CSGO players from this weekend's sale.

Quote to reveal password.

Sure blame the cat.
I still haven't seen the picture.

you mind if i join in on the server? trying to get back into CS after a long break

2muiRQl.jpg

When we are playing:
t1408318200z4.png

Quote to see Server Password.

Information said:
How to join us:
In the main menu click play, click browse community servers and finally click add a server. Be sure to favorite it!

The server IP is: 64.237.38.122:27315

Alternatively, Click me.

Sounds like there is a lot of interest for CS:GO so I booked a time tomorrow. Hope to see you all then!

chixdiggit

Got 4 Beta codes for Screen Cheat. Used one. here are the other 3 if anyone is interested:
Code #2 - KWL7P-DYLAP-Y3M55
Code #3 - 7B3YP-CNT88-IW0TT
Code #4 - ZL6E8-5PXP7-ATN5P

Anteater

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Tropico 4 Collector's Bundle -- MB-9072D68B5B102BF9 - Taken by MrTeachwell. 4 entrants total.

t1408260081z1.png

PM me your profile if it doesn't work, since I might've messed up trying to send multiple copies to myself on steam

I was away for almost two days for the pre-midterm exam reviews, came back to the thread full of Tropico 4 giveaways. Is this in a bundle somewhere? Was eagerly looking out for this game for a long time.

Panzon

Just bought The Witcher 2 enhanced edition and Darkness 2. I know very little about the witcher (but hear its awesome) and know even less about the other game but decided to buy them on a whim anyway.

Hoping they're worth it despite how cheap they are atm. Have too many games from sales I don't even boot up and guess I'm hoping it doesn't happen with these 2

Dr Dogg

So I really wanna try some Ubisoft games like Gunslinger and Blood Dragon, but I really don't want uplay on my system. Would it be feasible for me to setup a small side partition just for uplay, say 100 gbs, and then run my games from that? Or do they need to be in a certain section to run properly?

You can install the games wherever you want, but Uplay itself will install to the 32-bit Progam Files folder. (Gunslinger is Steamworks, by the way.)

Yeah if you let Steam install Uplay ;). You can go download it yourself and put it anywhere you want and when you first start up a Uplay game it realises it's already installed and links to the location you set. I've got mine on my separate drive for media and it's no where near my boot drive. So yeah technically you could set up a partition just for Uplay if you so wished, you could even install it on a flash drive if you assigned it a drive letter but you need to set it up before you download and start a game via Steam. You do also need to go into the settings and change the locations of a few folders and for a less hassle free experience symlink the saves directory to a cloud storage service like DropBox, Google Drive, Box, One Drive etc. as well as making backups via GameSave Manager.

Dead Rising 3 is some good shit.
I'm really enjoying my time with it far more than when I played DR2 and DR2:OTR.
It keeps enough familiar while adding so much new that it's quite the treat for fans or those looking to jump into the series. If you ever felt that DR1 and DR2 were too "stiff" or the timer too strict DR3 fixes that. Which I know are the usual complaints against them.
I'll be double dipping on it for the DLC.

I'm still in two minds of Dead Rising 3. I don't mind the series but never really been hooked enough to finish any entry yet. It's says and does all the right things but I find my interest waning in and around the halfway point. With the first it was due to not much to do outside of the story content and the right place right time nature of it didn't really click with me as it felt like I was either kicking my heels waiting for something to do or fighting the stupid AI path finding to get back to the roof in time for the next case (those fucking psychos with the jeep in the park used to do my head in). 2 was a bit more enjoyable due to coop and combo weapons and vehicles as well as a bit of side content and Off The Record had some other mechanics for messing around but still didn't quite grab me.

Though 3 has looked even less whacky that previous instalments in most of the promo footage I have seen a few things that seems like the old spirit of the previous games is still there. Plus that crazy Capcom DLC does looked like things are turned up to 11.

Uzzy

Just bought The Witcher 2 enhanced edition and Darkness 2. I know very little about the witcher (but hear its awesome) and know even less about the other game but decided to buy them on a whim anyway.

Hoping they're worth it despite how cheap they are atm. Have too many games from sales I don't even boot up and guess I'm hoping it doesn't happen with these 2

Witcher 2 is worth full price. Heck, it's worth twice the full price. The fact it's constantly on sale for dirt cheap is just proof that CD:pR love us.

I'd personally suggest getting Witcher 1 and starting there though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom