• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vuze

Dead Rising 3 is some good shit.
I'm really enjoying my time with it far more than when I played DR2 and DR2:OTR.
It keeps enough familiar while adding so much new that it's quite the treat for fans or those looking to jump into the series. If you ever felt that DR1 and DR2 were too "stiff" or the timer too strict DR3 fixes that. Which I know are the usual complaints against them.
I'll be double dipping on it for the DLC.

Nice to hear. DR3 was actually one of the few exclusives for Xbox One I was interested it. I hope the PC port is decent and runs well on my machine... you never know, afaik they only showed footage recorded on an i7 4770k / 780 Ti.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
in the end, they even ended up gifting the streamer the first HM2 steam key and a bunch of devolver published games :p

That's actually really nice, considering he stole the game from a journalist in the first place :p

;_________;
chansub-global-emoticon-18be1a297459453f-36x30.png

Dr Dogg

That's actually really nice, considering he stole the game from a journalist in the first place :p

;_________;
chansub-global-emoticon-18be1a297459453f-36x30.png

Can't you remember when Jonatan Söderström from Dennaton Games let the rascals over at Pirate Bay know the version they were downloading needed a patch to sort out their troubles. I mean sure he clarified that he didn't want people to pirate his game but understood that some will anyway but I guess like some creative people they are happy to see their work appreciated no matter how they obtained it.

http://www.pcgamer.com/uk/2012/10/2...f-their-own-game-provide-helpful-suggestions/

header_292x136.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/299500/

At the risk of being completely random, let me talk about International Snooker. Like many people, you may have purchased the "8 ball bundle" hoping for a decent sports game or two... or to get Pool Nation which looks fancy (but I didn't enjoy, see below). You may then be disappointed to see that all the other games are pretty much glorified spreadsheets. They are also not even that glorified.

International Snooker is different and I think well worth a look. Unlike the other games, you actually get to play the sport in question, which is snooker. From there, things are pretty standard except for one key difference. Each shot is more like a simulator than an arcade title. Whereas in Pool Nation you are lining up a shot and then wiggling the mouse to guess how strong to hit the ball, International Snooker takes an unusual approach.

You still line up your shot, with a variety of helpful indicators to let you know what will happen. But here you actually select your shot strength from a slider, with graphical cues to help you out here too. When you are happy with your shot? You basically hit the go button and it all plays out in front of you.

What this does is changes the game from an arcade experience, to almost a turn based strategy affair, which I find completely appropriate for the sport. While it may not hold your attention for long, it at least gives a subtle, but different spin on the genre and hence becomes my bundle "top pick".

Also Top Golf Pro 3 is worth a look. Because fuck me somebody put some effort into something that I can't see anybody, ever, wanting to play.

Copons

2muiRQl.jpg

When we are playing:
t1408318200z4.png

Quote to see Server Password.

Sounds like there is a lot of interest for CS:GO so I booked a time tomorrow. Hope to see you all then!

An 1.30 AM game night?
I guess count me in!

Meanwhile, though, as I bough CS:GO only yesterday and I'm a total noob in competitive FPS in general (I was good at CoD2 but I was also 10 years younger :D ), is there a place where I could ask some questions about it?
PM would be great :)

Like, I guess the game will be too frantic to use the in-game chat... :eek:

An 1.30 AM game night?
I guess count me in!

Meanwhile, though, as I bough CS:GO only yesterday and I'm a total noob in competitive FPS in general (I was good at CoD2 but I was also 10 years younger :D ), is there a place where I could ask some questions about it?
PM would be great :)

Like, I guess the game will be too frantic to use the in-game chat... :eek:

Just post the questions here and we'll answer.

In-game chat won't work while the round is on, but it's perfectly viable while you are dead, warming up or in the preround countdown. That's how the usual public competitive matches go.

People say that "rush A" or "all mid" on the countdown and then
everyone runs to different directions anyway

Also Top Golf Pro 3 is worth a look. Because fuck me somebody put some effort into something that I can't see anybody, ever, wanting to play.

I tried to play it, but couldn't work out how to actually play a round of golf! All I could do was simulate other people playing. I lost interest pretty quickly after that, it's not exactly user friendly.

Copons

Just post the questions here and we'll answer.

In-game chat won't work while the round is on, but it's perfectly viable while you are dead, warming up or in the preround countdown. That's how the usual public competitive matches go.

People say that "rush A" or "all mid" on the countdown and then
everyone runs to different directions anyway

Yo, then I'll shoot here! :)

Mostly I can't understand exactly how game modes work: Deathmatch / Arms Race / Demolition / Casual / Competitive.
At first I thought Casual was the place to go for a newbie like me, but I guess in fact it just contains the classic modes (defuse and hostage), so it's exactly like Competitive but I guess without friendly fire or something.
So, for now I'm mostly playing Deathmatch because I die a lot and of course it's too annoying to wait a couple of minutes everytime waiting for the round to end. :D

Now, when I select DM or Casual, I can choose between three map packs: Operation Breakout / Active Duty / Reserves.
I don't really understand this difference (I mean, I can guess, but maybe I'm wrong).

Also, I can buy an All Access Pass, but I don't know what does it do.

Another question: how do drops work? I played three hours or so and I didn't drop anything, but I guess it's fine. Anyway, what would be the best course of action to actually earn something from CS:GO? :D

Last but not least: any tips and tricks or anything in general a total noob should know?

Thank you!

Copons, you can try the community thread.

ARGH! Too late!

If needed I'll post there! :)

Yo, then I'll shoot here! :)

Mostly I can't understand exactly how game modes work: Deathmatch / Arms Race / Demolition / Casual / Competitive.
At first I thought Casual was the place to go for a newbie like me, but I guess in fact it just contains the classic modes (defuse and hostage), so it's exactly like Competitive but I guess without friendly fire or something.
So, for now I'm mostly playing Deathmatch because I die a lot and of course it's too annoying to wait a couple of minutes everytime waiting for the round to end. :D

Now, when I select DM or Casual, I can choose between three map packs: Operation Breakout / Active Duty / Reserves.
I don't really understand this difference (I mean, I can guess, but maybe I'm wrong).

Also, I can buy an All Access Pass, but I don't know what does it do.

Another question: how do drops work? I played three hours or so and I didn't drop anything, but I guess it's fine. Anyway, what would be the best course of action to actually earn something from CS:GO? :D

Last but not least: any tips and tricks or anything in general a total noob should know?

Thank you!

1. Casual is pretty much competitive but it has friendly fire off, additional weapon (http://counterstrike.wikia.com/wiki/Zeus_x27) and the money is counted differently. Competitive might sound more scary at first, but I'd say it's much better way to learn the game: the skill system will most likely match you up with newbies anyway, but you should get prepared to get flamed for a while.

2. The maps are as such:
- Operation Breakout is a current campaign that features some of the official maps and some workshop maps. I'll explain a bit more in the All Access Pass question
- Active maps are maps that are currently active in the competitive matches
- And Reserve maps are ones that are not

3. All Access Pass lets you play the Operation Breakout "campaign", which offers you this:

Grants all access to Operation Breakout, which consists of an upgradeable Challenge Coin, mission drops that reward new weapon finishes, Operation Breakout Case drops, and a journal that contains an Active Duty Scorecard, an Operation Scorecard, and Friends leaderboard.

Like I said earlier, Operations (there have been I think 3?) also have workshop maps that aren't in the current map rotation. Should you buy it? Well maybe if the price isn't that much, but there's much to experience without it too.

4. Drops work like so: items drop only after a full match (30 rounds max) but drops are not guaranteed in anyway. This is very different from TF2 for example, where drops happen in-game and with a certain (semi-random) timer.

5. Check some wiki or something for nicknames of certain places. People use these a lot, and it might be pretty confusing what "heaven" for example means. Also don't rush and try not hold the mouse1 to spray, instead shoot short bursts of one or two rounds unless you get ambushed. And the first round of AK-47 and M4A4 is always 100% accurate so use that to your advantage (and don't be too pissed when someone kills you with an AK-47 headshot).

One more thing: different weapons make you run slower, so always run long distances with the knife unless you are sure to get ambushed.

Anteater

Finally beat the last boss in Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae, although her moves are easy to read, I find it difficult to actually counter them until I memorized the pattern completely. The last boss is kind of annoying as she'd back away a lot which gives her invincibility so she'd be stuck at the edge of the arena while your attacks go through her, so the whole battle is just countering that 1-2 moves she keeps doing.

Started very hard but man the enemies are ruthless

I've clocked quite a few hours into the game, and I find it to be very fun, I'd rank it above most of the other indie action titles (marlow briggs, fairy bloom freesia, etc, which have difficulty keeping my attention), even though the game lacks a bit of variety and could definitely use a bit more polish.

The one thing that I don't like is that they tend to add more enemies the higher the difficulty is, instead of focusing on improving the quality of the encounters, and I think the game is far less fun when you're pit against 10-20 enemies as you'll be too busy doing crowd controls and keeping them stunned, it becomes a bit like a musou game, and another thing is that it's ridiculously hard to get out of hit stuns when you're caught in one of the combos, and every attack the enemies do while you're stunned will add to the damage, so you could potentially die from a misdodge or missing your counter, and if you're not careful about off screen enemies and getting stuck inbetween them.

I think the amount of enemies variety is just right for the kind of game it is, and the game is barely around 2 hours long, with 5 chapters, and each chapter has a boss fight. I find the game to be extremely satisfying to play once you get the combat down, I like the countering system since it rewards the player for playing well as it does a shitload of damage, also making the combat less mashy. The "Zanshin" is basically like MGRising's health refill that also damages all bleeding enemies in the area, but the damage and health regen is based on how much bloodspirits (I think) you have gained from attacking enemies, I think it's kind of unique and cool.

I find the animation for the characters and the controls to be really well done and fluid, but animations for enemies are a bit average. Music and sound effects are on the weak side, and there are some minor things they could've done better, but overall the game is great, and I'm looking forward to their next game.

I'd give the game a 98/127, you should play it if you like hack and slash

http://a.pomf.se/ndafxz.webmhttp://a.pomf.se/kzaebf.webm

Copons

Thank you!

So I guess the reason of the three map packs in DM/Casual is just to let player "train" in current competitive maps only.

Last question I forgot before, and I'm asking it to everybody without answer and I'm starting to assume people are thinking I'm crazy.
I always see super cool killcam screens posted around and they look like this:

But instead what I get are (more or less) like this:

Am I doing something wrong?

Welp. It looks like I'll be pulling another all-nighter to try and fix my sleep schedule. I couldn't commit to the last one and I slept through most of the day as a result.

Time to load up on caffeine and play games.

I'm doing the exact same thing right now ._.
My semester starts in a week, so I'm hoping to get it fixed before then... We'll see, :lol
I should probably try this sometime soon. Staying up until 5-6-6:30 a.m. is really screwing me over when in a couple weeks I will have to wake up at 7:40 a.m.
Same here. I keep staying up later and later, so maybe it'll just fix itself? I dunno.

Welp. It looks like I'll be pulling another all-nighter to try and fix my sleep schedule. I couldn't commit to the last one and I slept through most of the day as a result.

Time to load up on caffeine and play games.

I'm doing the exact same thing right now ._.

I should probably try this sometime soon. Staying up until 5-6-6:30 a.m. is really screwing me over when in a couple weeks I will have to wake up at 7:40 a.m.

Guys, you think a GTX 660 (1.5 gig) will be enough to last me another year? Specifically thinking about the Witcher 3 here. I want to upgrade, but since I'm buying an Xbone in November I won't have money to spend on a graphics card until next year. I'll probably have to content myself with playing on medium settings for a few months, I guess.

Guys, you think a GTX 660 (1.5 gig) will be enough to last me another year? Specifically thinking about the Witcher 3 here. I want to upgrade, but since I'm buying an Xbone in November I won't have money to spend on a graphics card until next year. I'll probably have to content myself with playing on medium settings for a few months, I guess.

As you said you will have to turn settings down but it's not like something isn't going to run.

Your biggest issue will probably be VRAM. (Mine too on a 760) But I'd say that you'll be able to run stuff great at the settings that you'll need to tune down to to avoid stuttering from running out of VRAM, if that makes sense. It'll last.

Aru

I have a GTX 660 since January 2013 and so far I've been able to play all the games I wanted at max or almost max settings. I haven't played really demanding games like Watch_dogs though. I'll keep my card at least until spring 2015.

I want to upgrade for TW3 but I'm wondering if I should just play it on PS4 for now since I'll end up buying one eventually.
Don't have the money for either atm but my PC needs another 4 gigs of ram and a new GPU and TW3 is the only game on PC that really motivates me to do the upgrade. Everything else I'm looking forward to is either console only or can run easily on my current rig.
I built my current PC for TW2 but with the third game having a good console port, a console that I intend to buy anyway, I'm really torn on what to do.
Wish I had the money for both.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Can't you remember when Jonatan Söderström from Dennaton Games when and let the rascals over at Pirate Bay know the version they were downloading needed a patch to sort out their troubles. I mean sure he clarified that he didn't want people to pirate his game but understood that some will anyway but I guess like some creative people they are happy to see their work appreciated no matter how they obtained it.

http://www.pcgamer.com/uk/2012/10/2...f-their-own-game-provide-helpful-suggestions/

I can understand why Söderström did it on that particular occassion, because most of the people that downloaded it would never pay for the game anyway for whatever reason they had. Plus there's the whole "I want this thing I made to be seen by as many people as possible" thing too.

Stealing it from a journalist is slightly different, but it's Devolver's reasoning, not mine, and that's fine by me :p

My semester starts in a week, so I'm hoping to get it fixed before then... We'll see, :lol
Same here. I keep staying up later and later, so maybe it'll just fix itself? I dunno.

Glad to know I'm the only one in this boat :p

Dr Dogg

Well The Witcher 2 was incredibly scalable and it was only the high end settings, like Uber Sampling, Cinematic Depth of Field, LOD Distance, Shadowed Lights and Shadow Quality, that needed quite a lot of GPU power. Even then you could tweak those settings to a lower value or in some instance off and still get good performance from modest hardware and there is plenty more settings to adjust as well.

It's a bit hard to say how The Witcher III is going to run on any hardware yet as it's not close to being out yet so you can really only go on CDPR's past and the only thing that might be an issue is 1.5gb of VRAM if you intend to keep a higher resolution, AA implementation and higher textures but going from the large range of options The Witcher 2 had I'm sure you'll be able to find a happy medium. Though I'm guessing you have a vanilla 660 (going by the VRAM ammount) so it's really on you how content you are with a certain resolution, graphics & effects quality and framerate.

What sort of performance in certain games are you getting now? That's a better indicator than hypotheticals.

I can understand why Söderström did it on that particular occassion, because most of the people that downloaded it would never pay for the game anyway for whatever reason they had. Plus there's the whole "I want this thing I made to be seen by as many people as possible" thing too.

Stealing it from a journalist is slightly different, but it's Devolver's reasoning, not mine, and that's fine by me :p

Oh I'm not even trying to compare the situations but Dennaton and Devolver have a very different way of engaging their communities and customers (or non customers in the case I cited). None of it comes across as slimmey and trying to be the good guys but just a nice bunch of people that like seeing their products enjoyed no matter the questionable nature how they were obtained in the first place. If this was EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft it would be a completely different story and the focus would be on them ruling over their IP with an iron fist. Which fine I expect them to do that, though sometimes it does get a little bit overzealous in various different ways but Devolver are more like 'hey you may have got that copy a little less than ethically than we would have liked but you have been showing it off to others to see. Here have some free stuff' which in turn gets people talking about it and hey presto awareness raised.

is pandora's tower any good?

sounds like something i'd like and a good use of all my effort configuring the wii emulator

Never got that one running properly, frame-rate was completely unplayable. Was really surprised after running all kinds of games like Xenoblade, The Last Story, Donkey Kong, etc really well.

zkylon

zkylewd
the petrify materia in tits is hilariously overpowered, i sorta feel bad for using it but dealing like 1.3k damage in one hit because of it feels so good...

Never got that one running properly, frame-rate was completely unplayable. Was really surprised after running all kinds of games like Xenoblade, The Last Story, Donkey Kong, etc really well.
ah that's a shame :/

Don't do this to me Marco my backlog is big enough and my sub ended before the 2.2 update. I might go set up a free trial account, it can't hurt right?
Another 3 months is only 40 bucks though. . . It's tough. We'll see how I feel in a couple weeks, I guess. But I seem to be transitioning to multiplayer only or just replayable games right now. Street Fighter, Counter Strike, FF14. . . I'm not even attempting to play my backlog right now.

Darkroronoa

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 17 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Darkroronoa, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sid Meier's Civilization III: Complete -- MB-A66DB4737FC27CC3 - Taken by Sharkiller. 1 entrants total.
Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians -- MB-3C428DC5D5275B90 - Taken by Milamber. 1 entrants total.
Risen -- MB-CA90C9C2123F2476 - Taken by AngerdX. 1 entrants total.
SOULBRINGER -- MB-EF4DEDAE1D8CCA80 - Taken by tjohn86. 1 entrants total.
Doc Clock Toasted Sandwich of Time -- MB-6CF44E9388EE6C9E - Taken by Sammichu. 1 entrants total.
Tiny & Big in Grandpa's Leftovers -- MB-DACD7BCAC02DCDDD - Taken by Perun. 2 entrants total.
ALPHA KIMORI 1 -- MB-2E62679BBA23DEC9 - Taken by Teppic. 1 entrants total.
ANTISQUAD -- MB-4E81A657ECAD4B77 - Taken by darkchewie. 1 entrants total.
LEGEND OF DUNGEON -- MB-83555027264BEC21 - Taken by Hugstable. 2 entrants total.
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-F67B1911690DC5FF - Taken by ReduxMachine. 1 entrants total.
JOURNEY OF A ROACH -- MB-BDAC8770B0FD2C18 - Taken by Benedict. 1 entrants total.
MECHANIC ESCAPE -- MB-2298F9728293B85F - Taken by danhese007. 2 entrants total.
SPATE -- MB-CD6D7F32DC331F58 - Taken by Saty. 2 entrants total.
One Way Heroics -- MB-F70AFE5A09C376D7 - Taken by Easton Dark. 1 entrants total.
Tropico 4 Collectors Bundle -- MB-3E1286FBEE715909 - Taken by Kiru. 4 entrants total.
VVVVVV -- MB-6EDC96C610A959EA - Taken by Vazduh. 1 entrants total.
Skyborn -- MB-6305F507128FD0D3 - Taken by Kuroyume. 1 entrants total.

t1408273942z1.png

Some Unclaimed keys from a past giveaway and a couple extra. Everything should work. Enjoy!

I really regret not getting Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae during the Summer Sale, and passing on Croixleur when it was on a Groupees bundle :(

And a bit off topic, but anyone here plays Pokémon TCG online? I downloaded it out of nostalgia, and I'm afraid I might be getting addicted pretty soon, even playing with the default decks…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom