• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

why is the tf2 key price dropping under sell-value atm?
what happened? it was stable for so long now.

Well this happened recently

Treasure Keys
- Treasure Keys are no longer sold on the Dota 2 store.
- All basic treasures that were previously opened with a Treasure Key have been removed from the game and the Steam Community Market.
- Treasure Keys can now be redeemed for a free unlocked Treasure of your choice. When you use the treasure key a new redemption menu will open. Immortal treasures and some older special event treasures are excluded from this menu, but otherwise the list of treasures is unrestricted. One key can be exchanged for any one treasure. As new treasures are added to the game, they will also be added to this menu.
- All treasure keys will expire and be removed from the game one year from now on July 1st, 2015. Keys must be redeemed by that time.

More than likely because DotA 2 has now gone keyless that there is a knock on effect with the panic that the same might happen to TF2. Is TF2 even that popular in China? Seeing how many keys get sold day in day out Valve would be crazy to go the same route unless it was the same situation as DotA's

Ban Puncher

So I bought a couple of CS:GO cases and keys and was all ready to go down the rabbit hole but then suddenly thought 'what the fuck am I doing?'.

Sold everything and am now 20 cents poorer overall but I think I learned a valuable life lesson.

MRORANGE

I assumed the keys were removed to crack down on key trading for region games through Steam, although treadling of wallet funds are coming to the Steam client eventually...

I assumed the keys were removed to crack down on key trading for region games through Steam, although treadling of wallet funds are coming to the Steam client eventually...

I don't think that's the case. Valve doesn't have anything to lose from letting it happen and publishers already can lock down cross-region trading manually.

schwupp

Well this happened recently

More than likely because DotA 2 has now gone keyless that there is a knock on effect with the panic that the same might happen to TF2. Is TF2 even that popular in China? Seeing how many keys get sold day in day out Valve would be crazy to go the same route unless it was the same situation as DotA's

a bit far fetched that they would remove the system.
was that change not announced ahead of time?

I don't think that's the case. Valve doesn't have anything to lose from letting it happen and publishers already can lock down cross-region trading manually.
i read that it was changed because of the dota 2 china release and the local gambling laws.

Ruruja

header_292x136.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/299500/

At the risk of being completely random, let me talk about International Snooker. Like many people, you may have purchased the "8 ball bundle" hoping for a decent sports game or two... or to get Pool Nation which looks fancy (but I didn't enjoy, see below). You may then be disappointed to see that all the other games are pretty much glorified spreadsheets. They are also not even that glorified.

International Snooker is different and I think well worth a look. Unlike the other games, you actually get to play the sport in question, which is snooker. From there, things are pretty standard except for one key difference. Each shot is more like a simulator than an arcade title. Whereas in Pool Nation you are lining up a shot and then wiggling the mouse to guess how strong to hit the ball, International Snooker takes an unusual approach.

You still line up your shot, with a variety of helpful indicators to let you know what will happen. But here you actually select your shot strength from a slider, with graphical cues to help you out here too. When you are happy with your shot? You basically hit the go button and it all plays out in front of you.

What this does is changes the game from an arcade experience, to almost a turn based strategy affair, which I find completely appropriate for the sport. While it may not hold your attention for long, it at least gives a subtle, but different spin on the genre and hence becomes my bundle "top pick".

Also Top Golf Pro 3 is worth a look. Because fuck me somebody put some effort into something that I can't see anybody, ever, wanting to play.

The way you shoot in International Snooker is the very thing I don't like about the game. It's not an uncommon way to have pool/snooker games do it that way. In fact most PC/Console games since the 80s to now have had this "set the power and spin, then press shoot to shoot" system.

The better system is the "mouse is the cue" system, it just takes a while to get used to the power. I've gone on about this quite a few times, but I hope Virtual Pool 4 gets greenlit soon so that you can enjoy a much better Snooker and Pool game.

Dr Dogg

a bit far fetched that they would remove the system.
was that change not announced ahead of time?

i read that it was changed because of the dota 2 china release and the local gambling laws.

From my understanding is that the previous chest system in DotA wasn't available in China since it was released there which I believe is to do with some legal requirement. The system for everyone else has been keyless for a couple of months and all the chests that can be opened by key that were on the market have been removed. Valve no longer sell keys so they are in a finite amount and the chests that the key open aren't dropped anymore so eventually they will run its course. This is more pulling everything into line with each other.

Now TF2 on the other hand hasn't had any of these issue so I have no idea why the prices are dropping other than blind panic. Then again take what I say with a pinch of salt as my TF2 days are long behind me and I've played very little of DotA 2 for fear of getting hooked!

I heard that as well, but can't you still buy things from the market that give you random drops? I'm not sure what the change accomplishes in that case, but I don't know chinese gambling laws obviously

Well The Witcher 2 was incredibly scalable and it was only the high end settings, like Uber Sampling, Cinematic Depth of Field, LOD Distance, Shadowed Lights and Shadow Quality, that needed quite a lot of GPU power. Even then you could tweak those settings to a lower value or in some instance off and still get good performance from modest hardware and there is plenty more settings to adjust as well.

It's a bit hard to say how The Witcher III is going to run on any hardware yet as it's not close to being out yet so you can really only go on CDPR's past and the only thing that might be an issue is 1.5gb of VRAM if you intend to keep a higher resolution, AA implementation and higher textures but going from the large range of options The Witcher 2 had I'm sure you'll be able to find a happy medium. Though I'm guessing you have a vanilla 660 (going by the VRAM ammount) so it's really on you how content you are with a certain resolution, graphics & effects quality and framerate.

What sort of performance in certain games are you getting now? That's a better indicator than hypotheticals.

I could run BioShock Infinite on Max (with some stuff turned down to High) and achieve a pretty stable 60 fps.

I had to run ACIV at 30fps, but only because of that game's horrible, horrible Vsync.

I could run Metro: Last Light with pretty much all bells and whistles on, and get a stable 60fps as well.

As for the Witcher 2, I had to turn down some settings, but the game seemed to run smoothly as well.

Dr Dogg

Well this is a fun way to spend Sunday lunch time, TV on and removing and then relisting 100+ cards from the market. It's just as tedious as it sounds. Also why is no one buying my junk backgrounds and emotes? They're 3 p you cheapskates!

I could run BioShock Infinite on Max (with some stuff turned down to High) and achieve a pretty stable 60 fps.

I had to run ACIV at 30fps, but only because of that game's horrible, horrible Vsync.

I could run Metro: Last Light with pretty much all bells and whistles on, and get a stable 60fps as well.

As for the Witcher 2, I had to turn down some settings, but the game seemed to run smoothly as well.

Well some of the settings in The Witcher 2 are brute forced to work and going from the lowest settings to the highest requires quite a shift in hardware. For me at 2560x1440 and with 2 780s I struggle to maintain 60fps in cutscenes with bokeh DOF and Uber Sampling just cuts my framerate by half and upto 3 quarters. 1920x1080 is fine but I can dig a slithly lower framerate here and there for much more eye candy. But thankfully there are so many settings to adjust you can quite easily tailor the game to run a quite a wide range of hardware. I'm sure III will be the same if not better in that regard but I guess we'll have to wait an see but by going how you fair in other games, especially Last Light which has quite a few nice bells and whistles (look at me parroting you now!) I'd imagine you'd get something on the level of what a Xbox One would perform at but maybe with lower texture detail and maybe having to forgo most costly AA methods.

Black Flag is a really funny game that the engine is locked to 62fps max but in some section I get about 50% GPU usage but in any area with a bit more foliage than normal, like the hideout and around warerhouses it shoots up to the high 90's on both cards. I'll get around 55fps in those situation but remove one GPU and I'll drop to 40fps so it's more over the case that the abundant tessellation used of foliage is way more heavy that the result it produces. Other item of geometry are fine due to being much larger and not as finely detailed but it doesn't help that there is no in game setting to directly turn it down without cutting all the other settings lumbered in under environmental detail.

When you compare the massive amount of configurable settings you get with a CDPR title to that of a Ubisoft as well as the way they are described what each setting does you can see why some people have issues with Ubisoft games. Both have really high settings that require massive of GPU power but CDPR at least give you way more flexibility to tinker. There are some ini tweaks for most Ubisoft engines but it's the same with Unreal Engine 3 titles why not just have a front facing GUI for people to be able to configure this themselves, especially for those scared of editing text files.

iosefe

Alright PSA time!

AGE OF EMPIRES 2 HD SUNDAY GAME NIGHT 7PM PST
Age_Of_Empires_2_HD_Edition_53386.jpg

Tomorrow night at 7pm PST, I will be hosting matches of AOE2HD, and your invited! If you would like to play a match or two, go ahead and say so and I'll add you to the list:

1. Khronico
2. ????
3. ????
4. ????

Also, if you have a preferred game mode you would like to play, make your voice heard and I'll make a strawpoll with the 4 most popular choices. The winner will be the inaugural match of the night!
This is my first time hosting internet matches so it may or not be lag free. It probably won't.
I think I'm down for it. Could probably go more than 4 players

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Dead Rising 3: Apocalypse Edition -- MB-D95DCFC536B6158E - Taken by Deques. 105 entrants total.

t1408291042z1.png

zkylon

zkylewd
goddamit i wanna buy witcher 2 but i need a no spiders mod and that doesn't exist
sucks that witcha 2 spiders affect you

i don't mind them too much since they move really weird (like they just warp into place instead of descending like scary spiders do) and are generally really strange looking

they remind me a bit more of crabs than spiders

sucks that witcha 2 spiders affect you

i don't mind them too much since they move really weird (like they just warp into place instead of descending like scary spiders do) and are generally really strange looking

they remind me a bit more of crabs than spiders
I never even thought of them as spiders. And looking at them again I still can't see it.

zkylon

zkylewd
I never even thought of them as spiders. And looking at them again I still can't see it.
yea they're pretty weird

actually kind of cool looking

yeah i tend to generally ignore any games with spiders in them. sucks that a lot of RPGs have them. this is why im excited for fable anniversary. finally a RPG that doesn't have spiders
i mean as someone that's pretty traumatized by spiders myself i didn't really find them bothersome at all. and i can't finish more than half the games i play

but yea what applies to me doesn't necessarily apply to you

Well this is a fun way to spend Sunday lunch time, TV on and removing and then relisting 100+ cards from the market. It's just as tedious as it sounds. Also why is no one buying my junk backgrounds and emotes? They're 3 p you cheapskates!

Well some of the settings in The Witcher 2 are brute forced to work and going from the lowest settings to the highest requires quite a shift in hardware. For me at 2560x1440 and with 2 780s I struggle to maintain 60fps in cutscenes with bokeh DOF and Uber Sampling just cuts my framerate by half and upto 3 quarters. 1920x1080 is fine but I can dig a slithly lower framerate here and there for much more eye candy. But thankfully there are so many settings to adjust you can quite easily tailor the game to run a quite a wide range of hardware. I'm sure III will be the same if not better in that regard but I guess we'll have to wait an see but by going how you fair in other games, especially Last Light which has quite a few nice bells and whistles (look at me parroting you now!) I'd imagine you'd get something on the level of what a Xbox One would perform at but maybe with lower texture detail and maybe having to forgo most costly AA methods.

Black Flag is a really funny game that the engine is locked to 62fps max but in some section I get about 50% GPU usage but in any area with a bit more foliage than normal, like the hideout and around warerhouses it shoots up to the high 90's on both cards. I'll get around 55fps in those situation but remove one GPU and I'll drop to 40fps so it's more over the case that the abundant tessellation used of foliage is way more heavy that the result it produces. Other item of geometry are fine due to being much larger and not as finely detailed but it doesn't help that there is no in game setting to directly turn it down without cutting all the other settings lumbered in under environmental detail.

When you compare the massive amount of configurable settings you get with a CDPR title to that of a Ubisoft as well as the way they are described what each setting does you can see why some people have issues with Ubisoft games. Both have really high settings that require massive of GPU power but CDPR at least give you way more flexibility to tinker. There are some ini tweaks for most Ubisoft engines but it's the same with Unreal Engine 3 titles why not just have a front facing GUI for people to be able to configure this themselves, especially for those scared of editing text files.

In any case, sounds like something I can live with for a couple of months until I buy my new GPU. I would've bought it sooner, but I can't resist that Master Chief. :(

I'm getting Dragon Age, Assassin's Creed, GTA V and Metro Redux for PC. They'll be fine.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of darkchewie, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (darkchewie, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

100% Orange Juice #2 -- MB-CE008BC5860204FC - Taken by fenners. 7 entrants total.
100% Orange Juice -- MB-F72BE9363BB8CC39 - Taken by Snakethesniper. 7 entrants total.

t1408285098z1.png

Obviously they look enough like spiders to be an arachnophobia trigger for kudo, no need to delve into it further imo. Phobias aren't really something you can rationalise, they're entirely subconscious.

zkylon

zkylewd
They don't look like spiders...

this shit doesn't work like that

if your brain tells you to fear you fear, doesn't matter if it's pixelated or low res or crab looking or whatever

like i can't play minecraft cos spiders

it's very stupid

Obviously they look enough like spiders to be an arachnophobia trigger for kudo, no need to delve into it further imo. Phobias aren't really something you can rationalise, they're entirely subconscious.
yea i was just sharing my experience as a fellow crazy person

but yea everyone's different

Dr Dogg

Unbanned just in time to lose another giveaway!

Welcome back! You never know it might be a sign.

In any case, sounds like something I can live with for a couple of months until I buy my new GPU. I would've bought it sooner, but I can't resist that Master Chief. :(

I'm getting Dragon Age, Assassin's Creed, GTA V and Metro Redux for PC. They'll be fine.

I've always gone about my upgrades like this. Until there is a game you really, really want to play that even with your current hardware won't run at all then that's the time to upgrade. Battlefield 4 was what made me upgrade the last time and despite being bitterly disappointed going back through my library with newer hardware was like gaining 100's of new games. I upgraded at the time time when Quake, Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Crysis and The Witcher 2 came out respectively due to having hardware that either I knew couldn't run them or had bought and was left with really, really bad performance.

Milamber

if your brain tells you to fear you fear, doesn't matter if it's pixelated or low res or crab looking or whatever

it's very stupid
There are varying levels of fear, I guess. Real spiders freak the heck out of me but video game spiders do nothing.

kudoboi

it's very stupid

yup i had to download a no spiders mod for minecraft every time a new patch was released. funny thing is i have never seen a spider irl before. just from all those shows like fear factor

zkylon

zkylewd
There are varying levels of fear, I guess. Real spiders freak the heck out of me but video game spiders do nothing.
yea basically you're normal and we're crazy

even the word spider sends a chill down my spine

yup i had to download a no spiders mod for minecraft every time a new patch was released. funny thing is i have never seen a spider irl before. just from all those shows like fear factor
i haven't seen that many either 'cept when i went to northern argieland jungle. saw a few decent sized ones there, not something i'd recommend

really sucks that you'll miss out on witcha 2, it's a pretty good game, and i know the feel.

not being able to ever again play some of my favorite games from my teenage years like thief or resident evil 2 is scuh a bummer

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
yea basically you're normal and we're crazy

even the word spider sends a chill down my spine

i haven't seen that many either 'cept when i went to northern argieland jungle. saw a few decent sized ones there, not something i'd recommend

really sucks that you'll miss out on witcha 2, it's a pretty good game, and i know the feel.

not being able to ever again play some of my favorite games from my teenage years like thief or resident evil 2 is scuh a bummer

On a similar note, you may wish to avoid Divinity: Original Sin as it features multiple battles with giant spiders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom