• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKB

A reminder regarding Mass Effect DLCs.

Bring Down the Sky and Zaeed - The Price of Revenge are free.

Bring Down can be downloaded here, Zaeed one comes free with Cerberus Network, which is included with every copy of ME2 :D

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
You guys play Mass Effect 1 lately? The story holds up, but that game play is rouughh
Idk, I always enjoyed it on PC with the vanguard class. The cover system is awkward, but you don't need to use it much if you play on a lower difficulty. The shotgun with the explosive rounds is wonderful too.

Porcupine

I've been holding off on getting in hopes that they'd either go on sale or be available outside Bioware points, but I feel that may be a losing strategy at this point.

Is Origin really the only way to buy them? I would love to play the hole series again with all the DLC's but it would cost me 32€ (~43$) just for 3 DLC'S, that's absolutely insane..

Dr Dogg

I don't even think you can buy Pinnacle Station for the first Mass Effect any more unless you buy the trilogy pack. To be fair it's pretty much a throw away bit of DLC that was a series of combat challenges (not the first games strong suit unless you speced correctly) with a loose plot connecting it all. You did get the possibility of a nice reward of an apparent on a planet to go chill in, look at the view, rob the storage lockers for some high level gear and never return.

You can use a save game editor though when Importing your game for 2 to get the added choice flags.

Anyone picking up the first Mass Effect be careful where you get a copy of Bring Down The Sky from as the older installers that needed a CD Key are loaded with SecuROM that will lock you out of it it you install it more than a couple of times. Go grab it from here which is DRM free and no key required.

http://help.ea.com/uk/article/mass-effect-bring-down-the-sky-dlc-redemption/

You would think EA would integrate the DLCs into Origin, but no.

But they have...
NbwmY37.png

Still got to use Disney Dollars and you might get an installer problem and have to redownload them again but you don't have to use the Bioware Social site any more.

Have some extras from the recent indiegala bundle:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Armoured Priest, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Hero of the Kingdom -- MB-55261EAC0ED8DD48
Gateways -- MB-125F3885CA155B05 - Taken by Henry Swanson. 1 entrants total.
InFlux -- MB-E059F4CC452744CE - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN. 7 entrants total.
Restaurant Empire II -- MB-3D709306E702F2EB - Taken by wagamer. 1 entrants total.

t1408301362z1.png

You guys play Mass Effect 1 lately? The story holds up, but that game play is rouughh

I liked the gameplay in ME1 better than ME2. I'm not a fan of cover shooters. The fact you needed heat sink clips was also pretty ludicrous. Guns that overheat if you use them too much but have near-infinite capacity would have been PERFECT in cover situations where you only use a few bullets at a time and then rest.

Helmholtz

I never got around to playing ME3 because it never came to steam, and I also heard bad things about its ending. Should I seek it out on origin? I enjoyed the first two a fair amount.

Huh, made a little booboo on the register and modbot skipped over one of the games...added a space and it took:
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Armoured Priest, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Home Sheep Home 2 -- MB-02F4EC52EA53BE3F - Taken by Vuze. 9 entrants total.

t1408301902z1.png

At the very least finish the first one. you will leave the experience satisfied.

I didn't try mass effect 1 until after 2, and I couldn't finish it because of the gameplay. The story and settings are nice, and I normally enjoy RPG's but the way it was put in the first one just felt so clunky it drove me nuts.

Not that 2 was perfect either, went to the other extreme.

I never got around to playing ME3 because it never came to steam, and I also heard bad things about its ending. Should I seek it out on origin? I enjoyed the first two a fair amount.

It's on sale a lot on origin so I'd personally suggest picking it up if you liked the first two. The ending isn't great, but hardly the travesty that it was made out to be.

header_292x136.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/299500/
At the risk of being completely random, let me talk about International Snooker. [...]
Thanks for the write-up. I plan on getting the 8-ball bundle mainly for the two pool games.
Despite having so many great games, I spend most my play time with Solitaire. The quick open-and-play-for-5-mins nature is really what gets me. If those pool games can be played windowed, I might finally have formidable alternative to Solitaire while browsing and listening to music.
There we go.
GMG updated their top 50 countdown.[...]
I feel so stupid for having waited and now missed Thief 2 from yesterday. Heh, it's usually pretty cheap during steam sales, so not much lost I guess.

Lomax

I finished Mass Effect 1-3 on 360 but will double dip when they release the eventual HD collection remaster anniversary deluxe edition.

EA Bioware seems to be one of the few companies not releasing complete versions of their games eventually, for whatever that is worth. They must still be selling enough DLC on games like DA2 and the Mass Effect games to make it worthwhile keeping it separate.

Dr Dogg

I finished Mass Effect 1-3 on 360 but will double dip when they release the eventual HD collection remaster anniversary deluxe edition.

How do you make a game already release in HD even more HDier? If you got a decent enough GPU and a Nvidia one at that there are a fair few little tweaks and injectors got get the game looking not too shabby. Some environment areas really have shown their age though like Noveria is one great big concrete office block and some locations are tiny to mask loading (although I prefer it to the approach in 2 & 3 with a blatant loading screen). All running off the same engine would be nice for consistencies sake but I don't know if messing with the differing styles of combat for each would go down or ever work well for that matter.

But they have...

Still got to use Disney Dollars and you might get an installer problem and have to redownload them again but you don't have to use the Bioware Social site any more.
So they have reduced the hoops customers have to jump, but it's still hoops jumping.

Gah this system is so stupid!

Edit: The Tropico 4s in my activity feed is crazy!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
But they have...

Will my ME2 DLC show up automatically if I buy Mass Effect 2 on Origin? (Bioware/Origin accounts are same/tied together).

Tizoc

Confession time:
I play Age of Mythology on Easy and spend most of my time building up my city and forces before creating a big ass army to charge at enemies and achieve objectives.
...whenever such missions/chapters let you build a city of course.
I still have fun doing it this way >_>;

rtcn63

it's crap?

edit: nvm I can't argue with someone w/ that avatar

What are you arguing? You asked why people played the game, and my answer is that it was free to play (and it has zombies or something, but I thought that was implied for some reason). Why would you be offended by that to reply in such a way?

Dr Dogg

So they have reduced the hoops customers have to jump, but it's still hoops jumping.

Gah this system is so stupid!

Edit: The Tropico 4s in my activity feed is crazy!

Hahaha well what they have done is closed the loop hole that used to be buying the promo Dragons Age II Bioware Points which netted you about an extra 20 points per £. It's just stupid now as when you go to buy something you add it to your cart and if you don't have enough BW Points on your account it then asks you to buy them, thus wiping the contents of your cart. Of course you have to make sure you get the right amount of point as they don't sell them in arbitrary number.. Oh no that would be too easy. So you can only buy 400, 800, 1200 and 1600 points at a cost of £3, £6, £12 and £16 a pop. Now if you only want one piece of DLC that costs 560 points you have to spend £6 to buy it. So you think 'fuck it I'll get a couple more bits' and then you realise that not a single package of point covers most of the combination of DLC for Mass Effect 2 unless you're buying a lot. The story based packs in 3 are 800 and 1200 points so that makes it easier to just grab what you want without having to fuck around with fake currency.

Will my ME2 DLC show up automatically if I buy Mass Effect 2 on Origin? (Bioware/Origin accounts are same/tied together).

Mine all did bar Overlord and my copy is from Steam. I did have to register my Steam key through Origin but that took seconds. If you install it via Steam it will show up in Origin and then that will handle the DLC and install it in the steamapps folder (so some odd client inception). Though if you do that the executable is still tied to Steam and that needs to be open to launch but once the DLC is installed you don't need Origin open at all. I had to install Overloard via the all installer method from Bioware Social but I'm sure if I spoke to support they would see why it doesn't show on my account.

iosefe

I didn't try mass effect 1 until after 2, and I couldn't finish it because of the gameplay. The story and settings are nice, and I normally enjoy RPG's but the way it was put in the first one just felt so clunky it drove me nuts.

practically the same situation as me, but i didn't see it as too bad. i had played the first few missions of ME on a friend's xbox, but when i found out that ME2 was coming to ps3, i dropped that. almost finished ME2 when they announced the ps3 version of ME 1, so here i am replaying ME2 again after beaintg ME1. I'm a big story fan, and i was left satisfied, and the gameplay didn't feel too bad.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Mine all did bar Overlord and my copy is from Steam. I did have to register my Steam key through Origin but that took seconds. If you install it via Steam it will show up in Origin and then that will handle the DLC and install it in the steamapps folder (so some odd client inception). I had to install Overloard via the all installer method from Bioware Social but I'm sure if I spoke to support they would see why it doesn't show on my account.

Oh shit, I forgot I could just plug in my Steam key. Everything showed up perfectly! Thanks for pointing that out!

Mass Effect 1
-Bring Down the Sky: Free and excellent, must play.
-Pinnacle Station: Challenge rooms that are pretty lame, no real worthwhile story. Ignore it.

Mass Effect 2
-Zaeed Price of Revenge: Solid side mission, fun character who can be used for the entire game.
-Firewalker: Free, total apology for killing the Mako. I had fun with them.
-Kasumi Stolen Memory: Really cool side mission and great character addition. The pacing is really cool. Must play.
-Overlord: Interesting side story, but unnecessary. Not a big deal if you skip it.
-Lair of the Shadow Broker: Must play. Tons of main plot ties, tons of Liara development. Great visuals too.
-Arrival: Lame, but sort of important story content tying into ME3. Not a must play, just read up on it if you want to save money.

Mass Effect 3
-From Ashes: Fun side character, but the mission is kind of lame. YMMV.
-Leviathan: Interesting side story, but unimportant in the grand scheme of things. Definitely overpriced.
-Omega: Fun callback to Mass Effect 2. Lots of cool new scenery to see of Omega. The plot is entertaining. Not important, but a lot of fun.
-Citadel: Really the most important piece of DLC for the game. A proper goodbye to all the characters and an amusing set of missions with a cool villain. A bit goofy, but heartfelt.

Dude, Leviathan is the exact opposite of unimportant, story-wise it's one of the most crucial pieces in the whole trilogy.
Agree with everything else. There's a lot of dlc worth checking out in this franchise but a lot of it is a bit overpriced.

dmix90

repost
ModBot said:
Instructions for dmix90:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive -- MB-A09725F381FBCC94 - Taken by wagamer. 37 entrants total.
Adventures of Shuggy -- MB-8E82C4BE44D66123 - Taken by Purkake4. 2 entrants total.
SpaceChem -- MB-39F2F382C075D548
SpaceChem #2 -- MB-E86D63E1ECB784D0
SpaceChem #3 -- MB-D446ABE329E6D7A2
Thief Gold -- MB-5698B2B3567F959F - Taken by Helmholtz. 3 entrants total.
Gun Monkeys -- MB-C5E37796E0EF3C03 - Taken by Vazduh. 1 entrants total.
Gun Monkeys #2 -- MB-F54DE271D84EC4B5
Gun Monkeys #3 -- MB-B796DFD213942388
Dino D-Day -- MB-DE69539DD760F88C
Dino D-Day #2 -- MB-EA240F9224588D4F

t1408297762z1.png

Kuroyume

Banned
ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Bionic Heart Steam -- MB-B506879720560A0C - Taken by Deques. 4 entrants total.
Ballpoint Universe - Infinite -- MB-4A84E61F4EC952D3

t1408293802z1.png

tumblr_n37xcwTI781qzwhb0o1_400.gif

Deques

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:

t1cxE6r.gif
Dead Rising 3: Apocalypse Edition -- MB-D95DCFC536B6158E - Taken by Deques. 105 entrants total.

t1408291042z1.png

Thank you, anonymous benefactor. You know who you are :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom