• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm liking Betrayer, it's different from what I expected and a little repetitive, but it's addicting and really beautiful. Will definitely try to finish it.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
You're supposed to take the rocket launcher from the previous area, freeze him with a canister, then shoot the rocket. One is all it takes.

The rocket has multiple useful points after you pick it up though. You can use it to get one (or both) of the
double Garradors).
, then with
Vurdungo in the sewers when frozen.
Then it's helpful again in the
El Gigante double fight, as using the lava pit will make it not drop money.
Then a bit later, it can also be useful (don't read this Rhaknar, not at this point yet)
the boss waiting at the top of Death Tower.

Four useful possible points to use it at after you pick it up.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The rocket has multiple useful points after you pick it up though. You can use it to get one (or both) of the
double Garradors).
, then with
Then a bit later, it can also be useful (don't read this Rhaknar, not at this point yet)

ive had a rocket launcher for hours now and i keep saving it, youre telling me I should have used it already >_>

also, Crimzon Clover is fucking bananas o_O

I figure if anyone would know this, it's here, so here goes:

Are there any RPGs available on PC - preferably Steam but if it's not that's okay too - that are similar to Suikoden, Chrono Cross, to a lesser extent Final Fantasy Tactics, etc. in their "collect a shit-ton of characters" treatment? I know Bioware likes to keep it tighter where you get a dozen or so, but do any sacrifice a bit of depth in favour of breadth?

redlacs

50 hours! Wowzers! Well it seems you must be really enjoying it then. How's the achievement hunting going?

i really am! i thought about writing some more elaborate review for others but figured the less the better in this case. play it folks! even though the start may be a little off-putting/boring for some gamers out there (slow combat, lots of dialogs) ..so for example if you ever played planscape torment or baldurs gate and didnt really enjoy it, well theres nothing that will help you here, but others familiar with the genre are really in for a treat.

and my achievement hunt so far - 31/63. so far so good! lots of them are easy to get just by reloading latest save and choosing different conversation option. cant wait to get the rest!

Are there any RPGs available on PC - preferably Steam but if it's not that's okay too - that are similar to Suikoden, Chrono Cross, to a lesser extent Final Fantasy Tactics, etc. in their "collect a shit-ton of characters" treatment? I know Bioware likes to keep it tighter where you get a dozen or so, but do any sacrifice a bit of depth in favour of breadth?

I'll preface this comment by saying I'm not familiar with Suikoden or Chrono Cross, but:

The Last Remnant has a bunch of characters in it, though most are more generic (yet named) characters. To utilise all these people, you make squads with formations that fight together as if they were one unit in the battle. It's a really cool JRPG from Square-Enix, and the PC version is the definitive one.

If you decide to play the game, look up how levels and progression work in the game, as it is a counterintuitive and you may end up screwing yourself in the long-term. There's probably a bunch of guides/suggestions you can look at on the forums.

Lastly, note that the TLR demo does a really bad job of selling the game, and that it will probably be on sale for $2.50 or so during a big Steam sale. Use this information however you will.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

You end up with a ton of characters in the Last Remnant, but only a few of them have any personality.

edit:^^what he said

Kifimbo

Regarding Transistor: fuck this Main Gondola bullshit. Biggest difficulty spike in recent memory. That, or I suck at this game.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Amazon.de customer reviews on Sacred 3

PCLnY38.png

Knurek

Tried XCOM or the Jagged Alliance games?
Alternatively, Exit Fate
Not-as-much-of-a-joke-answer-as-it-may-seem: Football Manager 2013, Out of the Park Baseball 14, NBA Live 13?

Dr Dogg

Oh some more AC news (yes I'm that potty about Assassins and their Creed) the community challenges are back up again so if you really want to 100% the game and get all the weapons, boat sails and outfits you've only got a limited time to do so. This challenge is plunder 2 warehouses.

i really am! i thought about writing some more elaborate review for others but figured the less the better in this case. play it folks! even though the start may be a little off-putting/boring for some gamers out there (slow combat, lots of dialogs) ..so for example if you ever played planscape torment or baldurs gate and didnt really enjoy it, well theres nothing that will help you here, but others familiar with the genre are really in for a treat.

and my achievement hunt so far - 31/63. so far so good! lots of them are easy to get just by reloading latest save and choosing different conversation option. cant wait to get the rest!

Hahaha that's good to hear. I don't think anyone has a bad thing to say about Divinity: Original Sin. I played for a bit during the Early Access phase but haven't knuckled down to it again now it's in full release.

Just under halfway on the achievement front. So does that mean 50 more hours to go ;)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
ive had a rocket launcher for hours now and i keep saving it, youre telling me I should have used it already >_>

also, Crimzon Clover is fucking bananas o_O

Not necessarily, just there are four points that come up in the game that it's useful/helpful in, you've been by 3/4 though, but none are really best, just depends on what you prefer.

The Last Remnant has a bunch of characters in it, though most are more generic (yet named) characters. To utilise all these people, you make squads with formations that fight together as if they were one unit in the battle. It's a really cool JRPG from Square-Enix, and the PC version is the definitive one.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give Last Remnant a go when it goes on sale again.

Tried XCOM or the Jagged Alliance games?
Alternatively, Exit Fate
Not-as-much-of-a-joke-answer-as-it-may-seem: Football Manager 2013, Out of the Park Baseball 14, NBA Live 13?

Haven't tried XCOM. Loved Jagged Alliance back in the day, but in that one you're given all the characters more or less off the bat. Only a handful won't join you right away or won't join you if you hired someone they don't like. Doesn't stop it from being a great game, just not what I'm looking for.

Exit Fate. Haven't heard of this. How interesting that they compare it to Suikoden, right down to the fact it stole maps from Suikoden II. Downloading now! Thanks!

I get where you're going with the sports managers, but I don't think those would appeal to me. Thanks anyway.

Grief.exe

double Garradors).
, then with

I might just use it against the
Double Garradors
when I'm doing my professional run.

I will just run by
Verdungo
, and I use the lava/knife trick for the
double El Gigante

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
soooooo...Crypt of the Necrodancer is amazing, and I havent had a "ok just 1 more run" feeling since Rogue Legacy

Hugstable

Banned
soooooo...Crypt of the Necrodancer is amazing, and I havent had a "ok just 1 more run" feeling since Rogue Legacy

It looks pretty neat, especially the use your own music part. If I use a custom song, the game would also cause me to have to move to the beat of the custom song playing? I have no clue how a rhythm game works in something that looks like that game, but hearing that it gives you that one more feeling like Rogue Legacy is awesome. RL got me addicted for hours at times, I just started playing it during the Summer Sale. Still have to finish that 4th boss sometime, but damn does the game get tough.

It looks pretty neat, especially the use your own music part. If I use a custom song, the game would also cause me to have to move to the beat of the custom song playing? I have no clue how a rhythm game works in something that looks like that game, but hearing that it gives you that one more feeling like Rogue Legacy is awesome. RL got me addicted for hours at times, I just started playing it during the Summer Sale. Still have to finish that 4th boss sometime, but damn does the game get tough.

the custom songs bit is so much fun and yeah it tries to match the beat to your custom song and does it pretty well. I used a bunch of different tempo songs.

redlacs

I don't think anyone has a bad thing to say about Divinity: Original Sin. I played for a bit during the Early Access phase but haven't knuckled down to it again now it's in full release.

Just under halfway on the achievement front. So does that mean 50 more hours to go ;)

sorry, i cant compare with early acess, but it really doesnt leave much space for any trash talk. i am of course affected by not buying the game myself but i can still try to compare with the last time i spent similar amount of money on a game - it was diablo 3. even though they are different kind of games i must say the price is also worth it and i wouldnt regret spending it on original sin. its very well polished, combines well the free exploration with following main quest and most importantly - the time just flies when i play and when i quit (after 5 hour long session) im already looking forward to 5 different things i will do when i come back and thats probably the most important factor for me. last time that happened it was with CIV5 and im jolly glad its back!

I told you.
I'm glad you finally caved in and decided to pick it up. :D

4th boss? Hahaha, just wait.
And when you get to NG+?
The real Rogue Legacy starts here...

And yes, that's exactly how Crypt works with custom music.

Does Necrodancer have a demo?

Not that I know of. But it really doesn't need one -- watch some gameplay and you should be able to tell if it's your thing or not, I'd bet.

Edit: Hahaha, I beat JaseC... he's getting slow in his old age. ;)

the custom songs bit is so much fun and yeah it tries to match the beat to your custom song and does it pretty well. I used a bunch of different tempo songs.

I haven't even used custom music yet and I still love it... that soundtrack is soooo amazing.

Oh some more AC news (yes I'm that potty about Assassins and their Creed) the community challenges are back up again so if you really want to 100% the game and get all the weapons, boat sails and outfits you've only got a limited time to do so. This challenge is plunder 2 warehouses.

Hahaha that's good to hear. I don't think anyone has a bad thing to say about Divinity: Original Sin. I played for a bit during the Early Access phase but haven't knuckled down to it again now it's in full release.

I believe Cheddahz said it was "Divinity: Original SHIT".

I think Transistor's length was pretty much perfect. What a great ride.

It felt too short and too long to me at the same time, if that's possible.
I also felt it was getting super repetitive in spots.
This is why I stepped away from it after completing it so maybe when I go back in and start NG+, I can like it a bit more than I did the first time around.

Can someone TLDR why everyone hates Sacred 3? I've never heard of the game, nor it predecessors, before.

The way I understand it, it's people who were fans of Sacred 2 and the drastic differences they made when making Sacred 3.
It's suffering from the "we attached the name to the game but it's radically different" fans-of-the-series not happy with changes syndrome.

About to try out Firefall because I got some dope VIP package for playing the alpha or beta before even though I don't even remember playing it, anyone have any impressions?

Double

Some more games, have fun! Gonna go get me some of munichs fine beer now =)

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

McPixel -- MB-110012A645D0AAC3 - Taken by celsowmbr. 1 entrants total.
Symphony -- MB-80122D397CA79FAA - Taken by Yrael. 1 entrants total.
Nightsky -- MB-E6E53DEF0A63B042 - Taken by danhese007. 1 entrants total.

t1406993788z1.png

Turfster

Can someone TLDR why everyone hates Sacred 3? I've never heard of the game, nor it predecessors, before.
As far as I understood it:
Predecessors were workable if rather plain diablo clones.
The new one is still a diablo clone, with a weird interface and without actual loot, just health/whatever orbs you get on kills.

About to try out Firefall because I got some dope VIP package for playing the alpha or beta before even though I don't even remember playing it, anyone have any impressions?

Rhaknar said it was boring as hell and he was going to delete it.
I asked him if I should just uninstall then, since I had downloaded to play with him sometime... he said "hell yes, it's already gone from my PC."
So I deleted it.
>>Fast forward several hours to when Rhaknar gets home from work<<
"I'm itching to play some Firefall, I shouldn't have deleted it."

He must've had a really turrrible night at work...

Catshade

I know it doesn't really fit your requirement, but if you're looking for a FFT-like game on Steam, there are Shining Force and Shining Force 2; Yes, they're basically emulated Sega genesis ROM, but they have plenty of unique characters for a JRPG/tactic hybrid (15+), with some of them quite hidden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom