• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rhaknar said it was boring as hell and he was going to delete it.
I asked him if I should just uninstall then, since I had downloaded to play with him sometime... he said "hell yes, it's already gone from my PC."
So I deleted it.
>>Fast forward several hours to when Rhaknar gets home from work<<
"I'm itching to play some Firefall, I shouldn't have deleted it."

He must've had a really turrrible night at work...

Ok cool, I'll play some, delete it, then go to work and redownload when I come back home for the optimal Firefall experience lol.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sacred 3 is a massive fuck you to fans of the series from the devs, that's why it got such backlash.

As far as I know Risen 3 won't be so different fom Risen 1 and 2, so it will probably do fine.

Piranha Bytes has made a big deal about Risen 3 being based around the game design philosophies that drove the Gothic games as well as the original Risen, so assuming it's not all just hot air the game may find a relatively respectable audience. I'd love to dive into the original game, but having to manually sheathe your weapon before interacting with something is such an annoying oversight. It shouldn't bother me as much as it does, I admit, but the situation is what it is.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Piranha Bytes has made a big deal about Risen 3 being based around the game design philosophies that drove the Gothic games as well as the original Risen, so assuming it's not all just hot air the game may find a relatively respectable audience. I'd love to dive into the original game, but having to manually sheathe your weapon before interacting with something is such an annoying oversight. It shouldn't bother me as much as it does, I admit, but the situation is what it is.

I'm pretty sure you still have to do that in Risen 3 ... sorry

Aaron D.

Can someone TLDR why everyone hates Sacred 3? I've never heard of the game, nor it predecessors, before.

DHDIcH7.jpg

Double

How do you guys play Crypt of the Necrodancer, keyboard oder controller? It's like my only fear of rhythm games, not enjoying the controls

Dr Dogg

sorry, i cant compare with early acess, but it really doesnt leave much space for any trash talk. i am of course affected by not buying the game myself but i can still try to compare with the last time i spent similar amount of money on a game - it was diablo 3. even though they are different kind of games i must say the price is also worth it and i wouldnt regret spending it on original sin. its very well polished, combines well the free exploration with following main quest and most importantly - the time just flies when i play and when i quit (after 5 hour long session) im already looking forward to 5 different things i will do when i come back and thats probably the most important factor for me. last time that happened it was with CIV5 and im jolly glad its back!

Ah that's also good to hear. it's funny you mention Diablo and Civilization as for me they are both games that I always get the feeling of "Just one more go" or "I'll just do one more quest" before finding out it's 3 in the morning!

Really glad you're enjoying it and here's to the next 50 hours!

I believe Cheddahz said it was "Divinity: Original SHIT".

Pfft what does Cheddahz know.

Crypt of the Necromancer is a rythm game? o_O
I thought it was some kind of rogue.

Do you not watch the awesome webms that myself or quiche post?
It's both. :p

http://robotbrush.com/corrosivefrost/Crypt Of The NecroDancer part 1.webm
http://robotbrush.com/corrosivefrost/Crypt Of The NecroDancer part 2.webm

It is only controlled with 4 buttons by default.

True... but you can bind the combo buttons to something else... and there's like 6 of those.
I have my controller set up to use d-pad for movement, and the the face buttons are any diagonals (up-left/up-right/down-left/down-right) and I put left-right on LB and up-down on RB.
Trying to press up and down at the same time seems... odd.

How do you guys play Crypt of the Necrodancer, keyboard oder controller? It's like my only fear of rhythm games, not enjoying the controls

Lain

Can someone TLDR why everyone hates Sacred 3? I've never heard of the game, nor it predecessors, before.

The game is the opposite of what the previous games were.
It's catching a lot of hate because the old fans can't let it go, even though it was already known that this one would be different from the old games.

As far as I understood it:
Predecessors were workable if rather plain diablo clones.
The new one is still a diablo clone, with a weird interface and without actual loot, just health/whatever orbs you get on kills.

I wouldn't call Sacred 3 a Diablo clone. No loot, 2 active skills + an attack and a defensive ability (you can choose between dodge or a shield) and restricted customization make it more like a score brawler. I mean, after playing it I finally understood why every trailer said "victory is our, glory is mine", since at the end of each mission you get scored based on kills, damage etc.
Also I don't have an issue with the UI.

Turfster

DLH.net added a new key for old and new members: East India Company Gold.

GMG has Metro Last Light Complete for 70% for 12 hours.

I would repost mine but it was like 49MB lol

Mine are 93mb each. :p

It's catching a lot of hate because the old fans can't let it go, even though it was already known that this one would be different from the old games.

I wouldn't call Sacred 3 a Diablo clone. No loot, 2 active skills + an attack and a defensive ability (you can choose between dodge or a shield) and restricted customization make it more like a score brawler. I mean, after playing it I finally understood why every trailer said "victory is our, glory is mine", since at the end of each mission you get scored based on kills, damage etc.
Also I don't have an issue with the UI.

I like you.

lashman

precisely ... it's not like they were saying "oh yeah, it'll TOTALLY be a new ARPG loot-fest, you guys should pre-order it right away, it'll be better than Diablo" ... they made it PAINFULLY clear from the very first interview/announcement that it's going to be much more like Sacred Citadel .... so if anything - people can only blame themselves for not reading ANYTHING about the game before they bought/pre-ordered it (Deep Silver was even streaming it, for fuck's sake ... TWICE!!) ...

but would they do that? no, of course not - it's the internet after all ... so now they're just completely butthurt and downvoting the hell out of this game ... which, funnily enough, is a REALLY good game in its own right. It's not broken or unplayable, or ugly, or whatever ... it's just not like the previous ones - that's all

Vuze

So I just finished Murdered: Soul Suspect. It took me about 10 hours to complete with all achievements.

header_292x136.jpg

I really liked the atmosphere especially the ghost-ified images of real people appearing and vanishing did a lot for me personally haha :D
The lighting and selection of colors was also pretty good imo.
Instantly turned off chromatic aberration and the distortion stuff tho, whoever thought this would add to the game...

The demons you had to stealth-kill with QTEs are crap, random and annoying. Luckily there is an easy config trick to become invisible for them :p (Yay, PC Gaming!)
Apart from that I liked running through walls looking for evidence and collectibles to uncover ghost stories and the like.

Story wasn't too intriguing for me personally, didn't care too much for the characters.
However I didn't expect the twist in the end so there's that.

For some reason I couldn't use the screenshot button and in general the PC port was rather meh.
Vsync automatically locks to 30fps regardless of what your GPU can push, I experienced severe stuttering when moving around in the open hub and the horribly compressed pre-rendered 720p(?) 30fps cutscenes are awful since you get to see them every five minutes.

Would get it for <10$, worth it if you don't expect too much.

precisely ... it's not like they were saying "oh yeah, it'll TOTALLY be a new ARPG loot-fest, you guys should pre-order it right away, it'll be better than Diablo" ... they made it PAINFULLY clear from the very first interview/announcement that it's going to be much more like Sacred Citadel .... so if anything - people can only blame themselves for not reading ANYTHING about the game before they bought/pre-ordered it (Deep Silver was even streaming it, for fuck's sake ... TWICE!!) ...

but would they do that? no, of course not - it's the internet after all ... so now they're just completely butthurt and downvoting the hell out of this game ... which, funnily enough, is a REALLY good game in its own right. It's not broken or unplayable, or ugly, or whatever ... it's just not like the previous ones - that's all

I have no problem with the game, just the name and the price, calling it Sacred 3 is an insult to fans of the series and a shameless attempt to bank on those same fans, they should have called it something else like they did with Citadel and none of this drama would have ensued. When you buy part 3 or 4 from a series you expect the game to be similar to the previous entries, the fact that they streamed the game is no excuse.

Sarcasm

How is it a cash gab..when they warn and talk about it before? And the naming convention is just like cellphones..nothing to special.

Yeah, that's odd. They run fine on my i5 3317.

For me they really don't load. Its like twitch.tv buffering forever bad. When they do load they run fine.

Find it funny that I can play D3 in NA with 160ms and get 10mb/s down in steam AND watch yt videos but twitch/webms act like I am on 16k dialup.

Lain

Sacred 3 is a massive fuck you to fans of the series from the devs, that's why it got such backlash.

Considering that the original dev of Sacred went bankrupt and that it was known these people were making a different kind of game that was just being called Sacred 3, I can only conclude that pettiness is the only thing the fans have.

lashman

Talking about Sacred 3... Just received the reviewcode, 360 version. Let's see how bad it is.

IT'S NOT!!!!

Considering that the original dev of Sacred went bankrupt and that it was known these people were making a different kind of game that was just being called Sacred 3, I can only conclude that pettiness is the only thing the fans have.

precisely!!! I'm sure they went bankrupt because the previous two games were SOOOOOOOOOO amazing ... *sigh*

precisely!!! I'm sure they went bankrupt because the previous two games were SOOOOOOOOOO amazing ... *sigh*

What have game sales to do with its quality? a game can be amazing and sell poorly or be bad and sell very well.

Anyway, I feel we are derailing the thread, no more talk about Sacred 3 from me.

Sarcasm

What have game sales to do with its quality? a game can be amazing and sell poorly or be bad and sell very well.

Anyway, I feel we are derailing the thread, no more talk about Sacred 3 from me.

Yea how dare you! btw trading is hard.....the thread here is dead and other means are very slow.

lashman

well - they were serviceable at best ... they weren't some amazing hidden gem, trust me - I played both of them :)

celsowmbr

Banned
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (celsowmbr, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

SpaceChem -- MB-561FAD6C1B7BBCA8

Yakkue

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

This is bullshit and you know it. But tell me more how it is not the publishers fault that marketing a different type of game under a established brand is really the consumers fault.

The publishers knew exactly what they are doing when they decided to call it Sacred 3 instead of creating a new IP.

Lain

I liked what I played of Sacred 2, though it was kinda buggy on PS3 and with a lot of slowdowns and I would have loved a new Sacred like 2 with improvements because what's there not to love about an open world action game?

Still it's kinda discomforting to see the hate for Sacred 3 when the game isn't shit, simply because of the name and being different from past entries.
I understand that it hurts fans that Sacred 3 isn't the real sequel to Sacred 2, but it's old news, at this point they should have gotten over it. All the thumbs down in the world aren't going to resurrect Ascaron and place the IP back in their hands to make a Sacred 3.5 that's like the old ones. The IP is in Deep Silver hands and it's clear what direction they decided for it. They could change their mind about the direction for future entries, if there are gonna be future entries, but it's not by acting like this that they'll be swayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom