• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblank83

If corrosivefrost actually wants to learn kb/m, we can definitely get him up to speed.

Mouse-keyboard isn't difficult to learn, not for anyone with any manual dexterity. That should include all of us, controller users as well. It's about as natural as pointing with a pencil.

Most of the difficulty comes from adjusting mouse sensitivity to your individual needs, and possibly the ergonomics of one's desk and chair. It helps to have a mouse that isn't terrible, also.

I don't see how it's not a CoD clone in the first place -- it's team based deathmatch in a modern warfare type setting.

Probably because the original Counter-Strike was released 4 years before the original CoD.

I think Counter Strike Global Offensive is till waiting for a release on EU territories.

Seriously? What's up with that?

The valve and Sony move is so worthless now looking back. We got portal 2 with cross play/cross buy and that was it. If anything though I can see Sony really welcoming them if they want to return. Since as you said thank a lot to how policies are now.

Yeah, it went nowhere. I think L4D3 is going to be an indicator for how things will go. iirc that's their most successful IP on consoles, so if the next installment also gets the usual treatment, then there's no hope and Valve should just stick to being Steam exclusive.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
The price is my second biggest peeve with the game (and probably the only reason I don't have it yet). It should have been 20-30 dollars as you said.

For 50 bucks you can get Shadow of Mordor, Witcher 3, Risen 3, Dark Souls 2 - I wouldn't say Sacred 3 is in that company of games.

However to me it looks pretty fun to play for spurts, and at 20 I probably would have bit.

exactly :) also - I paid only $25 for it, so ... like I said - no regrets (especially since I'm really enjoying it)

iosefe

The server had gamepads disabled -- it's why my inputs wouldn't work and I couldn't do anything but mouselook with the right stick. I wasn't kicked, but I had to leave and turn off the gamepad before I could play. So I was uncomfortable to start with, since I prefer the pad to kb/m (and my gaming setup has the kb/m sitting under the TV, so I had to get a chair and try to use the small table it's on to play, which was awkward as fuck)... and then all those glitches and shit occured and my fun level went from maybe to minimal and worse. :p
what the hell kind of server has that feature?

abracadaver

The Cave again

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (abracadaver, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Cave -- MB-C2D84CC090BC99AA - Taken by Double. 11 entrants total.

t1407004348z1.png

what the hell kind of server has that feature?

I dunno, but when I couldn't move and my pad wouldn't work, freshVeggie told me the server disabled gamepads.

Probably because the original Counter-Strike was released 4 years before the original CoD.

Technicality. My point still stands. I don't see how a FPS team based deathmatch would feel like a clone of another with a gamepad and not with a kb/m. But that's my perspective on it... I was just trying to tell hekk that. :p

fucking bosses are hard in Crypt!

I didn't make it that far yet -- but I saw it on bisnap's stream... dat conga line. ;)

Trejik

SteamGAF still moves fast.

Very happy to have contributed to the OP this month! Hope to contribute again.
Interesting to see everyone debating the whole Sacred 3 thing going on. Watched a couple videos on it, seems insulting to the fans, but then again, I'm not one of them.

I was off playing TLOU, but now it's back to PC. Glad to be back to F5'ing this thread non-stop.

Lain

The price is my second biggest peeve with the game (and probably the only reason I don't have it yet). It should have been 20-30 dollars as you said.

For 50 bucks you can get Shadow of Mordor, Witcher 3, Risen 3, Dark Souls 2 - I wouldn't say Sacred 3 is in that company of games.

However to me it looks pretty fun to play for spurts, and at 20 I probably would have bit.

Yeah I agree completely.
If I didn't pay 25$ +/- for it, I wouldn't be as positive with the game. The price the game is at, right now, is too much for the kind of game it is, regardless of my enjoyment of what I've played so far. It's a bit too simple of a game for a 50€ price-tag (with 9ish€ of DLC on top).

jblank83

Technicality. My point still stands. I don't see how a FPS team based deathmatch would feel like a clone of another with a gamepad and not with a kb/m.

Clone is a term used to indicate which game is directly derived from another. Games that came out after Quake and which attempted to copy Quake's design were Quake clones (CoD still uses Quake 3 engine code, amusingly). Same for Diablo clones. CS is its own design, a design originating 4 years before CoD ever existed. There are significant differences between the two games, and no demonstrable designs that CS Go exhibits which derive from CoD and not the original CS. Hence, it is not a CoD clone.

abracadaver

One more. Good luck

ModBot said:
Instructions for abracadaver:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (abracadaver, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Hell Yeah! Pimp My Rabbit -- MB-4737C3273960BD7E - Taken by GaussTek. 2 entrants total.
Hell Yeah! -- MB-6A6EF0EB7C287633 - Taken by salazar547. 4 entrants total.
Hell Yeah! Virtual Rabbit Missions -- MB-471AF88A2411FE21 - Taken by Lain. 2 entrants total.
Renegade Ops -- MB-760C57165DCF7191 - Taken by Ventara. 3 entrants total.
Jet Set Radio -- MB-B21841D3B1D37525 - Taken by DarkMehm. 8 entrants total.

t1407004708z1.png

MUnited83

For you.
I do wonder if the "top selling" list is now updated real-time or something. I swear it wasn't this unstable before. I'm pretty sure that it used to be a lot more static and the top would remain fairly unchanged for a while. Not everytime I refresh there can be some wild differences.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Serious Stream Wrap-Up

ibcqdbv159S7zH.png

ARCHIVE said:
(Youtube Playlist)
Serious Stream: Serious Sam 1 (Part 1) (Lost to the ages)
Serious Stream: Serious Sam 1 (Part 2) (youtube)
Serious Stream: Serious Sam the Second Encounter (Part 1) (youtube)
Serious Stream: Serious Sam the Second Encounter (Part 2) (youtube)
Serious Stream: Serious Sam the Second Encounter (Part 3) (youtube)
Serious Stream: Serious Sam 2 (Part 1) (youtube)
Serious Stream: Serious Sam 2 (Part 2) (youtube)
Serious Stream: Serious Sam 2 (Part 3) (youtube)
Serious Stream: Serious Sam 2 (Part 4a) (youtube)
Serious Stream: Serious Sam 2 (Part 4b) (youtube)
Serious Stream: Serious Sam 3 (The Whole Fucking Thing) (youtube)

After a grueling two-hour marathon, we completed Serious Sam 3 last night. I want to take a quick moment to thank everyone who contributed codes and watched the streams. The whole experience has been really fantastic (well, outside of playing Serious Sam) and I hope everyone had a good time. I'll definitely try to stream more in the future, so keep and eye out for future installments of Serious Stream.

Special thanks goes out to everyone to who joined in to help beat the Serious Series (and I hope I don't forget anyone): Stallion Free, Xclash, PrematureQuiche, Nabs (even if SS3 broke him hard), CorrosiveFrost, and the bevy of random Russians who joined for who-the-fuck-knows-why.

Also special thanks to everyone that watched (and because I never paid attention to the twitch stream, I am forgetting most of you), but especially BinaryPork, who I think managed to watch/listen to every stream we did. That's a feat even more incredible than beating the mainline Serious Sam games.

Another look at the scoreboard, which, while it probably won't be the last time, will not be posted again until something major happens. I'll still be accepting your M&M codes, of course, as the promotion runs until August 15th.

M&M Scoreboard said:
162 from Jawmuncher
144 from Morningbus
102 from Toki767
90 from Anustart
78 from default two
54 from BinaryPork2737
54 from Cloudius12
48 from Chocobro
54 from Stallion Free
48 from shadownet
42 from Mokoi
42 from Xclash
36 from Mono
36 from CorrosiveFrost
30 from Cheddahz
30 from Myshkin
24 from dot
24 from Gunstarheroes
24 from Servizio
18 from iosefe
18 from Pickles Spill
12 from tylerf
6 from Armoured Priest
6 from Amzin
6 from tiny raptor
6 from thesaucetastic

Total so far: $1,194 cable credits.
# of codes entered: 199
# of months paid: 14.

Thanks to Stallion Free for 1 code, Xclash for 1 code, and Myshkin for 1 code

The Talos Principle
Serious Sam 4

THIS.

This right here.

From the Croteam page:

Watching morningbus play through a philosophical exploration of transhumanism from the creators of Serious Sam would be amazing. (Hopefully the game will tackle tough questions like, "What are the ethical implications of replacing someone's hands with bombs from a Roadrunner cartoon?")

I really want a Talos stream.

If it launches at sub-$15, I'll do it at launch.

Wok

There are a lot of reports in the Idle Master thread that it's working fine for people who don't have their Steam store set to English. I guess give it a try and see if it works for you. The reason I put that it requires your language to be set to English is that it looks for specific parts of the page (which are in English) to determine if a game needs to be idled or if idling is complete.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

It is the same for the Python script, yet it works. I think the problem might be elsewhere.

Edit: It works for me now! And my Steam and Windows are in French. So something has changed recently.

zkylon

zkylewd
old saoirse avatar

boo

You follow Estelle and Joshua Bright on their quest to become full-fledged "bracers" and meet a lot of different characters who'll join your team along the way. (The bracer guild is there to protect and help civilians; they aren't affiliated with the government). Now, if you are expecting epic, world-changing events to happen right of the bat, you are going to be disappointed: your first quests include finding a lost kitten and helping farmers to get rid of some pests. Of course bigger events happen later on, but the game clearly focusses more on building the characters and the world than on action-filled happenings.
I thought this slower beginning was a nice change of pace from the usual stuff you see in a lot of other JRPGs. I'd wager the following installments are going to be more fast-paced than this one, since it seems to be a sort of introduction for them.
this is really cool

i really like games with slow starts, specially if they do use that time to build up some characters

everything else sounds really cool except...

There are a ton of missable items and sidequests in this game, so if you want to get everything on your playthrough you'd have to always carefully talk to everyone. Part of these missable items is a book series and issues of a newspaper, which you can both read (at least I think they are missable, maybe you can get them somewhere later on in the game). If you're into collecting you can also try to get every recipe in the game (you can cook meals and use those to heal yourself later).
yeah, this i'm not a big fan of. hopefully no important missables as i really don't like using guides

Spider warning for zkylon, dot and other arachnophobes: There is an optional sidequest, where you have to exterminate some spiders in
and old schoolbuilding
. If you want to see what they look like, click this link here. You later have to enter this building as part of the main story line, I don't know if they'd show up then if you haven't previously killed the spiders. I can't say if there'll be any more spiders later on in the game.
this is like crazy considerate, specially with like the screenshot and all, thanks

and those seem to be pretty alright for me

How often are missions supposed to drop in CSGO? I figured finishing one would automatically mean I got another but apparently not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom