• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

S1n1st3r

Banned
Thanks everyone I think I'm gonna go with SS2 first since people are saying it's shorter.. Hopefully Ken Levine won't let me down like he did with Bioshock Infinite...

are there any worthwhile mods for SS2 or is the vanilla game OK?

I have these bookmarked for my eventual playthroughs of SS2 and Doos Ex.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/ceuyh/step_by_step_moddingguide_deus_ex_i_spilled_my/

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/chefr/stepbystep_modding_guide_system_shock_2_look_at/

Lain

Opening the in-game friends list seems to crash (my) game in Sacred 3. For a game that seems built on playing it with friends I find the crashing damn funny.

jblank83

I thought this game was charming. If you like Double Fine, you'll certainly love this game :)

I thought it was better than it was given credit for. A nice little puzzle platformer with creative puzzles and characters. It didn't advertise itself as a grand Schafer adventure game, but I think it received a lot of flak for not being one.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I need your help. I want to play a meaty game that will suck me in but can't decide between System Shock 2 and Deus Ex: GOTY edition

I've played neither.
Deus Ex was one of the best games I've played last year. Haven't tried SS2 yet, but it has been praised a lot too. I'd go with DE just because I know it rocks.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
So, is Red Faction Armageddon really a big step down from Guerrilla or just a different gameplay experience? I´m thinking about getting it but would like to read some opinions first.

It's the latter and also a better game than it's predecessor. But people who like empty sandbox games featuring repetitive textures, models, and poor game mechanics, tend to get upset easily.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
What's going on with this Serious Sam 2 recommendation insanity?

I just turned the morningbus signal, didn't I?

Jawmuncher

Idle master really is the greatest thing in awhile to happen. Had so many games building up that I knew would take away from game time if I wanted to idle and keep play times not outrageous. With idle master my life is changed and I can get cards in the exact time while I sleep.

Tenouttaten

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
What's going on with this Serious Sam 2 recommendation insanity?

I just turned the morningbus signal, didn't I?

Lol I think this two night vacation from SS has been long enough. I gave up helping with 2, but I'll jump back in for BFE and I just want him to be free.

Parsnip

Few days ago I asked if anyone had played Stranded. Well, now I have.

I was curious about it because of the premise and the pixel art looks nice, and was hoping for some kind of short and sweet point & click adventure game. It's kind of not that, it's more like point & click walking simulator.

The art still looks nice, but there's maybe only 10 rooms in total, and while the sound design/music creates a great atmosphere, that's kind of all it has to offer. Even if you explore the whole thing multiple times as the game seemingly expects you to do, it's still really really short. But what really kills it is the backtracking combined with the really slow speed of your character. Since there are no puzzles, all you do is click, wait, click again, wait, again and again. And then the game kind of just ends. There's probably some earth shattering philosophical question here under the nearly non-existent story. It's like, art, man.

I don't think I can recommend it to anyone, it's just super boring.
Maybe it's just 2deep4me.

Ventara

I've collected 35 cards since last night using Idle Master, and I had another 35 from the day before. Pretty good, imo.

Caerith

For people who want to submit game recommendations for September:
What comes out in September that'll be on Steam? I know of Gauntlet (9/3), Dead Rising 3 (9/5), then nothing until October.

Sakura Spirit has led me to the dangerous path that is Japanese erotic visual novels.

May God have mercy.
Trust me, there's nothing erotic about Sakura Spirit.

There's less boobs than you'd get for free typing "boobs" in google search.
I wish you'd have told the devs this, then maybe they'd have known what boobs look like before trying to draw them.

Mono

I played Inquisitor for a tiny amount of time, but I am not liking it so far. Maybe it takes a while to get into? I've barely touched it, so I don't have any legit first impressions for it yet! I do like the premise, though.

Archeage is going for 15 keys in the market but apparently even if you buy it, you won't be able to play at all times. They still only do limited time playable events. That's weaksauce.

MRORANGE

What comes out in September that'll be on Steam? I know of Gauntlet (9/3), Dead Rising 3 (9/5), then nothing until October.

Try checking the coming soon tab for new releases, as this month passes more stuff gets added, especially at the end of each month.

I played Inquisitor for a tiny amount of time, but I am not liking it so far. Maybe it takes a while to get into? I've barely touched it, so I don't have any legit first impressions for it yet! I do like the premise, though.

Apparently (haven't played it myself), if you like reading and having influence over the outcomes of your actions then you might like it. I'm looking forward to giving it a go once I'm done with my history lesson in PC RPGS (planescape torment & baldur's gate 1+2, both of which I've gotten part way through multiple times before losing a save to a poorly timed format)

Ozium

Try checking the coming soon tab for new releases, as this month passes more stuff gets added, especially at the end of each month.

The problem is that the coming soon tab lies.. I would do a write up for LA COPS but it just says "Q4 release" and as of two days ago it was the second game on the coming soon list.

While being funny, I totally get now why clickbait is prohibited. There's less on topic talk in that thread than in a post-sale steam thread.
But interesting what JaseC wrote there:
You joke, but the Master Chief Collection will be on the PC within a year from its X1 launch.
Now, that would be the reason for me to never get a xone. Having played not one Halo game, I planned on getting a xone+halo:msc once it's available for >200€.
Don't know how you can be so sure with your prediction though.
[Digimon.gif]
PS3/360
With japanese games being so often sniping high spots on the best-seller lists, I am actually surprised not more pubs are jumping on steam. Seems like a no-brainer.

Ozium

While being funny, I totally get now why clickbait is prohibited. There's less on topic talk in that thread than in a post-sale steam thread.
But interesting what JaseC wrote there:

Now, that would be the reason for me to never get a xone. Having played not one Halo game, I planned on getting a xone+halo:msc once it's available for >200€.

With japanese games being so often sniping high spots on the best-seller lists, I am actually surprised not more pubs are jumping on steam. Seems like a no-brainer.

It's the greenlight barrier that has dissuaded Japanese devs (especially indies) from trying out Steam. There were several articles posted about this in the last Steam thread. Basically they don't want to enter greenlight with the prospect of failing because that looks bad in Japanese culture.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert..) but honor and shame are huge parts of it.

You don't even know if you'll like Halo. Why risk it and drop so much on a console?

MRORANGE

The problem is that the coming soon tab lies.. I would do a write up for LA COPS but it just says "Q4 release" and as of two days ago it was the second game on the coming soon list.

I would try and chheck the dev site for dates, granted some devs are lazy and don't tell us when the game released with a Q3 date and then it comes out all of a sudden. Don't worry too much if you chose a game with a date that's not set in concrete.

Mono

Apparently (haven't played it myself), if you like reading and having influence over the outcomes of your actions then you might like it. I'm looking forward to giving it a go once I'm done with my history lesson in PC RPGS (planescape torment & baldur's gate 1+2, both of which I've gotten part way through multiple times before losing a save to a poorly timed format)

The game starts off with a giant wall of text in a mediocre font, which is enough to put me off a little. Games shouldn't start like that; I don't want to read about the history of a universe I haven't experienced yet.

Ooo, have fun going back in cRPG time! That's too bad about your save. :(

Anteater

Didn't 343 mention pc when they talked about "transforming" halo?

"Halo executive producer Kiki Wolfkill has ambitious plans for the future of the acclaimed blockbuster sci-fi series. She wants to "transform" the way people experience the franchise, Wolfkill says in a new profile featured on Microsoft's website.

"Our next step is to try and make the connections between the game and its linear entertainment aspects even more experiential," Wolfkill said. "I want to transform how people experience Halo in their living rooms and on their PCs."

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/stories/people/kiki-wolfkill.html

Genki

Aww man, I just realised I'll be struggling to play USFIV because I'm moving to Japan... Guessing no one there will be playing the PC version.

Oublieux

Aww man, I just realised I'll be struggling to play USFIV because I'm moving to Japan... Guessing no one there will be playing the PC version.

I don't play fighters, but I'm in Korea! We can co-op other games on PC/PS3/PS4 if you ever want to :)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
hmm, do I buy the first two red faction games? purely +1s at this point i'm afraid
I did like the first one when I played it last year (or was it in 2012? Can't remember), though playing it in the highest difficulty wasn't a wise choice because enemies move like they are on steroids and a few shoots take off all your health, so you need to keep save scumming in order to survive. But it was enjoyable, and the destruction thing was nice, even if I expected to see it way more often than I did.

I played the first levels of the sequel in the highest difficulty too, and it's an exercise in frustration. Granted, it's my fault for not lowering it, but I still don't like the fact that I die in 2 or 3 hits, there are no manual saves, and there are no checkpoints between levels. They are really small, at least so far, but it's still annoying when I die near the end and have to replay them entirely.

Caerith

That's where I checked to learn Dead Rising's release date. I was just hoping there was a better list somewhere-- like, Roundabout comes out next month (probably) but isn't even on Steam yet.

MRORANGE

That's where I checked to learn Dead Rising's release date. I was just hoping there was a better list somewhere-- like, Roundabout comes out next month (probably) but isn't even on Steam yet.

Don;t worry too much on release dates on Steam, if you know it's coming out for that month it's fine for you to submit a recommendation, heck Shovel Knight got posted in the April thread but didn't come out to late June, just don't worry about it too much.

The game starts off with a giant wall of text in a mediocre font, which is enough to put me off a little. Games shouldn't start like that; I don't want to read about the history of a universe I haven't experienced yet.

Ooo, have fun going back in cRPG time! That's too bad about your save. :(

ooh that doesn't sound good. I love the ability to mod the text and ui size in the infinity engine games, that would likely affect my opinion of a game too. Especially since I'd be more likely to just skip all the text and miss out on half the game because of it.

Totalbiscuit on Sacred 3:

Short audioblog about it: https://soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/a-few-quick-words-on-sacred-3 (5:23)

I... have no interest in this game. Sacred 2 was fun but... this seems like Sacred's Dungeon Siege 3.

The Steam forums for the game are up-in-arms about how awful Sacred 3 is. The most apt comparison I saw was that it should've been called Sacred Citadel 2, since it is a brawler instead of an ARPG.

Sacred 2 was... well, weird, but it seemed really interesting and highly unique, so it'a shame to see the franchise butchered like this.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Sky Chief, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Sky Chief, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Hatoful Boyfriend -- MB-50087621203680BF - Taken by The_Super_Inframan. 60 entrants total.

t1406861363z1.png

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Writing? Lol

It's all about boobies

fan translations :/

Your post for some reason made me realize what SteamGAF makes me think of.

Aloha_Oe_crew.jpg

Those three are totally SteamGAF, but with a game hunting rather than alien hunting, and failing to play games more often than not rather than capture them.

Random thought of the day.

wilflare

idlem@ster, drop me some foils pls

@jshackles,
for some reason, ES isn't highlighting green my latest purchases :/
and the Purchased date seems to be all wonky

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Oh wow. I used to love Shadowgate on the NES. Deja Vu as well. Hope this is cool.

Oh man, I would kill for a Deja Vu remake along the same lines.
True fact: I used to own Kemco's old AceHarding.com domain

Seriously here, I can't give away things if modbot is broken.
Well, I could, but I'm too lazy for that.

Who else besides JaseC is caretaking modbot for Stump?

Oh man, I would kill for a Deja Vu remake along the same lines.
True fact: I used to own Kemco's old AceHarding.com domain

I remember that game. I liked Shadowgate much better -- it didn't have the stupid pencil+pad "answer"... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom