• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sendou

Dayz is still a mess, can't believe how bad the development for that game is, rather then focus on getting it to the mod's level of polish (which is pretty low) they add in new features that don't work properly.

It's basically the game that turned me away from Early Access games forever.

Deitus

Yup, I'm with Mr. Orange on this one. This place is seems more off-topic than on most of the time, I wouldn't have an issue if it was in the Community section and let's face this place is community formed around Steam. I get it. However, it's daunting and a little off putting for people who aren't part of that clique/community to get involved or to find information they're looking for.

We seem to have this discussion at least once a month, for the last 8 months. Nothing ever changes. So it's either working, or people have just gave up hoping for an improvement.

Would it be possible to create a 'Steam/Games Only' steam thread?

Realistically, I don't think that would work. If you pull all discussion of news and games out of this thread, then it would be purely off topic and would no longer have any reason to exist. If you banned all discussion in this thread except for what is strictly on topic, a lot of people wouldn't have a reason to post regularly, and the thread would become largely inactive.

I think there is room for improvement in this thread, to keep people from straying too far off topic, and to keep the tangents from getting out of hand. I don't think it will ever be the thread that some people want where people only post about the things they care about, and that's just something that needs to be accepted. But a certain amount of restraint should be shown, especially if we want to prevent mod intervention.

I don't think it's constructive to have semi-daily discussions about how awful this thread is and how everyone is ruining it. At least not when it's approached from an accusatory tone. If people want to improve this thread, we need cooperation and compromise, not demands and accusations.

dream

It's the anime that bothers me the most. The pictures are always posted with very little context, and sets off a chain reaction where it seems like all the anime posters post a barrage of fucked up pictures for the sole purpose of being annoying.

Pakkidis

How is Garry Mod still selling?

Is there any way to find how much you spend on previous humble Bundles. When I go to my account it shows me all the bundles I've purchased but it doesn't show me how much I've spent, only the average price people paid per platform.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Are these specific reports or is it just third party monitoring of the lists?

The data is provided by Valve. The Top Sellers list is region-specific, which would make a third-party list rather impractical as said party would need to collate and compare weekly data from the storefronts of literally every single country in the world.

Jawmuncher

Is there any way to find how much you spend on previous humble Bundles. When I go to my account it shows me all the bundles I've purchased but it doesn't show me how much I've spent, only the average price people paid per platform.

A lot of people seem to buy it for the MP modes such as TITT or prop hunt.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I don't think it's constructive to have semi-daily discussions about how awful this thread is and how everyone is ruining it. At least not when it's approached from an accusatory tone. If people want to improve this thread, we need cooperation and compromise, not demands and accusations.

but nobody does an effort to improve it, we keep getting off topic after off topic (now with blatant OFF TOPIC WARNING...well if you know that its off topic enough to warn its a off topic...then dont go off topic in the first place?) and if you dareto say something youll probably just be white knighted to death so... /shrug?

KarmaCow

Seems like a good place to ask, The Swapper is coming to PS4, I know it's already on Steam, how is it?
Do you recommend it?
Are the puzzles too difficult? How would you rate the puzzle's difficulty- more or less than Portal 2?

I don't want to buy the game and use the guide half of the time :p

I would definitely recommend it. The developers made good use of few mechanics to create puzzles rather than constantly adding more. The puzzles are mostly in separate rooms but there is some in between the areas as well. One of the best parts is how the game teaches you about abilities you may not have realised through these sequences. The story is there, you can skip by it for the most part but it's kinda interesting with how it integrates the whole cloning mechanic into narrative and themes itself.

It's definitely more challenging than Portal 2 since the solution isn't as explicit, no single area painted white all but telling you exactly where to place a portal. Most of the time, the puzzles are designed such that if you had one extra clone or if one area didn't block an ability, the puzzle would be trivial. But because of those limitation, the solution requires some interesting steps.

My only issue is that sometimes it felt like you cheated your way around a puzzle. By its nature, the puzzles are not well defined in the sense that some require timing or areas bathed in ability blocking light are fuzzy. This can be empowering sometimes, giving you the feeling that you outsmarted the game but also rob you of a sense of accomplishment. Mind you, I have never looked up the puzzle solutions so this just might be an issue I created in my head. I may have actually solved the puzzles in the intended way but there were times were I just felt like I brute forced past a room by standing in awkward pixel of the floor.

edit: ha, guess I was slow :p

I harbor hatred for every single person in here who hyped Volgarr the Viking up, this game unearthed 'gaming rage' I had not experienced since I was a child. It's so debilitating to the ego and soul I now play in turns with friends or I'll snap. Almost broke a controller.

Dark Souls has also felt like this at times.

But goddamit I will beat Volgarr. I'm just waiting for that Metal Slug moment of zen coordination.

Funny that you're mentioning it, I just got that game picked by Steam Roulette to play.
So far level 1 haven't been very hard, but level 2 is getting kind of intense and I'm actually not really a fan of the endless enemy respawning at some parts.
Not looking forward to the raging, but we will beat this together!

Will be streaming my Volgarr session, feel free to check in: http://www.twitch.tv/dunderhassan/
(can't edit the channel title, so dont mind it)

Hugstable

Banned
I cant decide if this
Krauser
fight in RE4 was the stupidest thing ever or the best thing ever

probably a bit of columm A and a bit of columm B

I havent played In a while, but is it the fight where you have to solve puzzles while this mother fucker is still attacking you? And then he falls like nothing once you actually get to kill him? I died alot on that part if I remember it right.

Eanan

Dayz is still a mess, can't believe how bad the development for that game is, rather then focus on getting it to the mod's level of polish (which is pretty low) they add in new features that don't work properly.

Dayz seems to be destined to fade off into oblivion once the hype dies down.

Saty

What's amazing is that it has been selling better each and every year since it released.

1401620135.png

JaseC

but nobody does an effort to improve it, we keep getting off topic after off topic (now with blatant OFF TOPIC WARNING...well if you know that its off topic enough to warn its a off topic...then dont go off topic in the first place?) and if you dareto say something youll probably just be white knighted to death so... /shrug?

The thread has been a lot better since the matter blew up a few weeks ago. Credit where credit is due. The six image-only posts that set Orange off earlier would have been 60 a month ago.

Ban Puncher

"I never post here but I came here today to tell you this thread is terrible."

Duly noted.

Nabs

Funny that you're mentioning it, I just got that game picked by Steam Roulette to play.
So far level 1 haven't been very hard, but level 2 is getting kind of intense and I'm actually not really a fan of the endless enemy respawning at some parts.
Not looking forward to the raging, but we will beat this together!

Will be streaming my Volgarr session, feel free to check in: http://www.twitch.tv/dunderhassan/
(can't edit the channel title, so dont mind it)

Hey Dunder, you got this. You just need to get beat level 2 and you can handle the rest.

Well that's the thing. Mr. Orange, someone who has been involved with the Steam Threads for as many years as I can remember gives a warning about it going off-topic and he was rounded on.

People give their opinions on the off-topic feeling of the threads and are told their opinions are worthless as they rarely post here and when they do it's about how the topics are off-topic.

I think of other theme-centric threads I go to (WrassleGAF, NBA, Halo, Metal Gear, etc) and for the most part they stay centered around the theme, with a bit off-topic here and there. This feels like the only one where you sometimes get a nice bit of info regarding Steam, or Steam games, but the most part it's giveaways & thanking, picture spamming and nice friendly community conversations about everyday stuff (which I understand).

Isn't all this talk about how the thread is off topic also off topic? Do we need pages and pages discussing it? It's been talked to death and the thread is much better now compared to a month ago. I think we should just let the issue rest for a while unless things go bad again, and focus on talking about steam and games.

Sorry to those asking about a DOTA2 games night yesterday but I don't think I'll have time today. If anyone else wants to try and set one up please feel free to do so. PM me if you want to feature it in the Games Night OP.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Capt.Haddock:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Capt.Haddock, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.
Gal civ II -- MB-7F64C885F184F6B3 - Taken by cardinalmind
I really hope i did this right.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Valve sends the list every week to sites but seems like only Bluesnews care to post them.

Thanks!

The data is provided by Valve. The Top Sellers list is region-specific, which would make a third-party list rather impractical as said party would need to collate and compare weekly data from the storefronts of literally every single country in the world.

Impractical for a human? Yes. But the process can be automated.

Ban Puncher

Isn't all this talk about how the thread is off topic also off topic? Do we need pages and pages discussing it? It's been talked to death and the thread is much better now compared to a month ago. I think we should just let the issue rest for a while unless things go bad again, and focus on talking about steam and games.

Isn't your post about the talk of off topic being off topic in fact off topic?

I'm on to you.

Hugstable

Banned
Isn't your post about the talk of off topic being off topic in fact off topic?

I'm on to you.

OTception.

So glad to have finally hit my Silver 3 in CS:GO yesterday, I feel like I've improved a bit the last few days after watching some videos and spray patterns and crosshair placement. Still not very good, but it actually feels good to be getting some kills now.

Parsnip

Maybe they decided to fix that once their site stopped getting hammered. Who knows? I did it like 5+ hours ago. You can look through the pages and see it was a problem.
Could have been a problem with something else too, really. I had my account from back when they were giving away Enclave for the first time, maybe it was a problem with new accounts, or maybe it was a facebook login related. Who knows. I know I don't, all I know it worked for me the first time I checked.

dani_dc

Any way to disable the warning that Steam has when you try to opening a link that someone sends you?

It's really annoying me, and I can't find where to turn it off.

Tellaerin

I got the site blocked from work because of those fox girl pics. There's no way to contribute when the conversation at hand isn't even about steam or games on steam. Imagine a Halo OT or Uncharted OT being like this.

You could have always browsed via the mobile site and not clicked on image links, which is probably best practice if you're browsing NeoGAF from work anyway.

The ratio of Steam to OT discussion in the thread has returned to a reasonable level, IMO. Admittedly, things got out of hand after the last big sale, but people have reined it in. The OT stuff's not so overwhelming that the thread's drowning in waifus and alpacas, but things are loose enough that individual posters' personalities still shine through. You can get a sense of them as people, outside of what games they play.

Some people here aren't satisfied with that, though. These are the people who will only be content if there's no off-topic posting in the thread whatsoever. I get the distinct impression that said people would be perfectly content seeing the thread devolve into some sort of dessicated, lifeless info-only resource, because that's all they're interested in. And it's inevitably the same people banging this particular drum.

The worst of the OT posting here stopped because the people responsible saw what they were doing and voluntarily reined themselves in. The ones calling loudly and repeatedly for eliminating all OT discussion (and complaining about it whenever it happens) need to start showing similar self-restraint. Compromise isn't a dirty word, guys. Sometimes it's all we've got.

Anteater

Tizoc just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about SteamGaf culture (I'm an expert), but gaming talk and playing video games are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in AnimeGaf where you can become successful by posting about Waifus. If you post a single anime waifu image, you bring shame to yourself and the rest of steamgaf, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is steamgaf, after hearing about this, are going to make 3 pages of posts about how terrible off topic talks are, nor will they post about games ever again. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Tizoc has fucked up the entire thread with his move.

Tizoc, publicly apologize and post a giveaway or you can kiss this thread goodbye.

Parsnip

I cant decide if this
Krauser

It would be great if there was a mode in the game that would allow you to rewatch it without the button prompts. Unless there is.

The knife fight that is.

Tizoc

Oh did I mention I hit Lvl. 20 today?
Bought some cards, crafted them and now my Booster chances increased, MUWAHAHAHAA!

I got some coupons too which I'll post about when I get home.

JaseC

Any way to disable the warning that Steam has when you try to opening a link that someone sends you?

It's really annoying me, and I can't find where to turn it off.

If you're not using Chrome, there's this Greasemonkey extension, although I haven't tested it myself.

Tizoc

Tizoc just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about SteamGaf culture (I'm an expert), but gaming talk and playing video games are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in AnimeGaf where you can become successful by posting about Waifus. If you post a single anime waifu image, you bring shame to yourself and the rest of steamgaf, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is steamgaf, after hearing about this, are going to make 3 pages of posts about how terrible off topic talks are, nor will they post about games ever again. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Tizoc has fucked up the entire thread with his move.

Tizoc, publicly apologize and post a giveaway or you can kiss this thread goodbye.

Eh I got a few spare keys I think I can give away....
Actually since I already have the good Hitman game(s) I can give these codes away...gimme a few hours...

jblank83

I cant decide if this
Krauser

The
Krauser
fight is the moment at which I started to dislike RE 4. It reminded me of Metal Gear Solid, a game whose reliance on puerile comic book characterizations is more important than the story or the general atmosphere. Previous RE games had been about atmosphere, about decent little horror stories. Even RE 4 was up to that point. After that point, it becomes something else entirely.

The same goes from a gameplay perspective. It's the point at which QTE rises to prominence in the series.

If you're someone who likes a focus on silly characters and QTE, then great. RE 4 is the beginning of something for you. Personally, I don't, at least not the way RE 4-6 does it, and it's the point at which I start to lose interest in the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom