• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugstable

Banned
The
Krauser
fight is the moment at which I started to dislike RE 4. It reminded me of Metal Gear Solid, a game whose reliance on puerile comic book characterizations is more important than the story or the general atmosphere. Previous RE games had been about atmosphere, about decent little horror stories. Even RE 4 was up to that point. After that point, it becomes something else entirely.

The same goes from a gameplay perspective. It's the point at which QTE rises to prominence in the series.

If you're someone who likes a focus on silly characters and QTE, then great. Personally, I don't, at least not the way RE 4-6 does it.

Yeah, but thankfully that fight happens pretty close to the end of the game.
But man was that final boss so disappointing.

I don't understand all the hate towards Ace Combat Horizon, I've been playing it a few hours and its a decent game, having a ton of fun.

My friend list is full. Does only crafting badges give more slots or is it enough to level up?
Only five XP shy of level 8. Would gladly take some F2P games to get more friends.

I cant decide if this
Krauser
fight in RE4 was the stupidest thing ever or the best thing ever

probably a bit of columm A and a bit of columm B

I completely forgot a majority of that game. How is the HD version of RE4? I was thinking of playing through them all again.

Deitus

Well that's the thing. Mr. Orange, someone who has been involved with the Steam Threads for as many years as I can remember gives a warning about it going off-topic and he was rounded on.

People give their opinions on the off-topic feeling of the threads and are told their opinions are worthless as they rarely post here and when they do it's about how the topics are off-topic.

Well I agree that it was in poor taste to go off on Mr. Orange, and others who have tried to steer the thread back on track. I think in the case of Mr. Orange, it was his tone more than anything that incited anger, but that doesn't excuse it. If people want others to be tolerant of occasional off topic behavior, they should be equally tolerant when this behavior is pointed out.

I think of other theme-centric threads I go to (WrassleGAF, NBA, Halo, Metal Gear, etc) and for the most part they stay centered around the theme, with a bit off-topic here and there. This feels like the only one where you sometimes get a nice bit of info regarding Steam, or Steam games, but the most part it's giveaways & thanking, picture spamming and nice friendly community conversations about everyday stuff (which I understand).

Giveaways are part of this thread, whether you like that or not. And it's only natural for people to get excited about a good giveaway, and to be grateful when they win. We can try to keep a single giveaway from completely monopolizing the thread, but I can't accept that we should stop talking about them altogether.

Picture spamming has gotten out of hand on occasion, but the degree to which it has is greatly exaggerated. In the few instances where it got bad, it did get really bad, but that is honestly pretty rare nowadays, at least in that extreme. The less egregious offenses still happen, and we can work to keep that to a minimum, but let's not pretend that it makes up the majority of posts in this thread.

but nobody does an effort to improve it, we keep getting off topic after off topic (now with blatant OFF TOPIC WARNING...well if you know that its off topic enough to warn its a off topic...then dont go off topic in the first place?) and if you dareto say something youll probably just be white knighted to death so... /shrug?

Yes, it will take cooperation from everyone to keep this thread good, including the people who go off topic, and the people who remind them they are off topic. If people are outright refusing to cooperate when people warn them they've strayed too far off topic, then getting upset is called for, but I think in most cases a friendly reminder is all it would take to get someone to realize their error. But maybe I'm just being too optimistic.

As for the "blatant OFF TOPIC WARNING", I'm glad Shadow shared that with us, and I would like to hope that we don't foster an environment where people are shamed for sharing something like that.

Edit:
Compromise isn't a dirty word, guys. Sometimes it's all we've got.

Well put. The whole post is good, but I figured I'd snip only the last bit to keep my post from ballooning in size.

jblank83

Yeah, but thankfully that fight happens pretty close to the end of the game.
But man was that final boss so disappointing.

Yeah, but to be fair, a lot of
RE final bosses are disappointing. The bosses in RE1 and 2 follow the same basic pattern. A bit of shooting then blow it up with a rocket launcher.

I thought the
lab level was really good, though. To a lesser extent, the sewers also. I wish RE 4-6 had focused more on that idea: interesting enemy types with unique weak points. Sort of like the crimson heads. Those are interesting enemies,
much more interesting than simple bullet sponges.

Anteater

I cant decide if this
Krauser
fight in RE4 was the stupidest thing ever or the best thing ever

probably a bit of columm A and a bit of columm B

I thought it was terrible myself, but I just kind of hate QTEs in cutscenes, but the action sequence was kind of cool.

Eh I got a few spare keys I think I can give away....
Actually since I already have the good Hitman game(s) I can give these codes away...gimme a few hours...

mission accomplished

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
No waifus
No alpacas
No off topic
Saoirse Only
Final Destination

I know you're kidding, but to address the point anyway, I very occasionally get a comment about my avatar, or someone occasionally makes some sort of JaseC = Saoirse joke, but that's about the extent of the Saoirse talk -- quiet honestly, I believe the notion that she's a prominent component of the Steam thread (e.g. one of Toma's rules in the indie Summer Sale thread was "No pictures of Irish actresses", which was just bizarre and suggests some sort of "us versus them" mentality) stems from me changing avatars so often and being one of the most prolific posters. I think the last time someone brought her up outside of the aforementioned contexts was when news broke that she auditioned for Star Wars, which was almost a year ago now.

Saty

The next Library change i need to use categories is being able to have sub-categories so i can a 'Shooters' main-category and when i expand it there are categories in it like 'first person' and '3rd person'.
This would also allow to group categories of similar nature rather than just one pile of categories in alphabetical order.

Anteater

oh shit jasec, how do you send message to people that aren't on your friendlist? I was trying to add you just now and I couldn't tell you that guy with a shiba as his avatar was me.

I thought it'd at least let me type in a message or something

KarmaCow

Yeah, but to be fair, a lot of
RE final bosses are disappointing. The bosses in RE1 and 2 follow the same basic pattern. A bit of shooting then blow it up with a rocket launcher.

I thought the
lab level was really good, though. To a lesser extent, the sewers also. I wish RE 4-6 had focused more on that idea: interesting enemy types with unique weak points. Sort of like the crimson heads. Those are interesting enemies,
much more interesting than simple bullet sponges.

RE6 has the J'avo that transform depending where you shoot them. The super Regenerators that can't die were also good too.

Double

Reminder ^_^

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Crypt of the Necrodancer -- MB-A437EF99E9E56313 - Taken by Kryptonite. 86 entrants total.

t1407092135z1.png

Hugstable

Banned
Yes, it will take cooperation from everyone to keep this thread good, including the people who go off topic, and the people who remind them they are off topic. If people are outright refusing to cooperate when people warn them they've strayed too far off topic, then getting upset is called for, but I think in most cases a friendly reminder is all it would take to get someone to realize their error. But maybe I'm just being too optimistic.

I agree with this. I know that during OT1 of July I might have been stupid about how I was posting because I was still new here, but overtime I cleaned myself up and try the best I can to stay On Topic, even though I know sometimes I stray. If anyone sees me getting off topic to a point where it annoys someone, let me know by PM or something, because I really enjoy posting here about games that I'm playing on Steam that day, especially right now when I have alot of free time (which ends soon in a week and half :(. )

I know you're kidding, but to address the point anyway, I very occasionally get a comment about my avatar, or someone occasionally makes some sort of JaseC = Saoirse joke, but that's about the extent of the Saoirse talk -- quiet honestly, I believe the notion that she's a prominent component of the Steam thread (e.g. one of Toma's rules in the indie Summer Sale thread was "No pictures of Irish actresses", which was just bizarre and suggests some sort of "us versus them" mentality) stems from me changing avatars so often and being one of the most prolific posters. I think the last time someone brought her up outside of the aforementioned contexts was when news broke that she auditioned for Star Wars, which was almost a year ago now.

Yeah the Saoirse stuff never got annoying to me cause it only comes up very rarely, and as you mentioned, most of the time it's because you change your avatar alot. I don't think it could get annoying to me anyway :3

Tellaerin

I know you're kidding, but to address the point anyway, I very occasionally get a comment about my avatar or someone makes some sort of JaseC = Saoirse joke, but that's about the extent of the Saoirse talk -- quiet honestly, I believe the notion that she's a prominent component of the Steam thread (e.g. one of Toma's rules in the indie Summer Sale thread was "No pictures of Irish actresses", which was just bizarre and suggests some sort of "us versus them" mentality) stems from me changing avatars so often and being one of the most prolific posters. I think the last time someone brought her up outside of the aforementioned contexts was when news broke that she auditioned for Star Wars, which was almost a year ago now.

The running joke is that she's pretty much the patron saint of the Steam thread, thanks to your avatar and your ardent support, combined with the other Saoirse fans here (some of whom have adopted Saoirse-themed avatars). Personally, I like it - it's one of those things that helps give these threads their color. (But what do I know, right?)

JaseC

oh shit jasec, how do you send message to people that aren't on your friendlist? I was trying to add you just now and I couldn't tell you that guy with a shiba as his avatar was me.

You can't, but I wouldn't have ignored your request anyway seeing as we have 15 friends and the GAF group in common.

73V3N

Banned
Played two hours of lovely planet, what an awesome game, it's like a first person super meat boy on which you shoot things

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I havent played In a while, but is it the fight where you have to solve puzzles while this mother fucker is still attacking you? And then he falls like nothing once you actually get to kill him? I died alot on that part if I remember it right.

its the one where
if you use the knife he dies in like 4 hits. which makes kind of sense because you had been fighting with the knife before, and I loved that, but at the same time, it makes no sense at all lol

ok im at 5-4, Im at the vendor, should I buy a rocket launcher for
Sadler
or it wont work on him and its a waste of money?

also, I thought there was no anime in RE4, but theres a lot of anime in these last parts, its reaching anime-wesker levels tbh. Im fine with it, but just another thing I remember ppl shitting on RE5 about :/

Lets see if I did this right...

ModBot said:
Instructions for Big Papa Husker:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Big Papa Husker, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Cave Story Plus -- MB-2A682221F70D18C1 - Taken by gaiadyne. 1 entrants total.
Binding of Issac Plus Wrath of the Lamb DLC -- MB-99BDA8EDD3D357AF - Taken by Elija2. 5 entrants total.

t1407096395z1.png

KarmaCow

its the one where
if you use the knife he dies in like 4 hits. which makes kind of sense because you had been fighting with the knife before, and I loved that, but at the same time, it makes no sense at all lol

Sadler
or it wont work on him and its a waste of money?

Unless you plan on NG+'ing it the money doesn't matter anyway but even then, don't bother.

Ban Puncher

It's all jokes.

You don't have to tell me about avatars. Mine gets about.

jblank83

RE6 has the J'avo that transform depending where you shoot them. The super Regenerators that can't die were also good too.

The problem, speaking for myself only, is the other stuff that surrounds it: the reliance on QTE, the focus on silly characters, the reduced focus on resource management, linear design, and so on. It's why Revelations is the first RE I've enjoyed in awhile, though it's definitely a flawed game, imo.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Unless you plan on NG+'ing it the money doesn't matter anyway but even then, don't bother.

I dont want to do NG+, I just want to finish this the sooner the better. its reminding me of Alice Madness Returns, its too long for its own good. if the rocket launcher helps me do that faster, ill buy one

KarmaCow

The problem, speaking for myself only, is the other stuff that surrounds it: the reliance on QTE, the focus on silly characters, the reduced focus on resource management, linear design, and so on. It's why Revelations is the first RE I've enjoyed in awhile, though it's definitely a flawed game, imo.

Oh I agree, I was just talking about the enemies. RE6 has way too much garbage surrounding it.

Though I don't think Revelations is much better.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sadler
or it wont work on him and its a waste of money

It works, but it's tricky to land the hit on them to progress to the
"HERE USE THIS!"</Biohazard 2 easteregg>
part. You're better off fighting that fight like normal unless you have the cash to spare.

dead island goty + dead island riptide complete for 10$ worth it? or they are crap?

A week ago Dead Island/Riptide AND Epidemic were all like $7. You could've gotten the 4-pack of Epidemic for simply installing the damn thing during the "open weekend" as well.

So, they've been cheaper, but for a $3 difference I guess you aren't missing too much...

Shadownet

Banned
Yes, the hardmode is the hardest mode. The instance is originally designed for level 24 players max and if you actually play normal mode it reduces your level to 24 if you are above it. Hardmode is designed for level 38-40. Just the 2 modes, normal and hard for instances.

The raid boss we faced is designed for 10-20 players at or around level 40. There might be a hardcore mode for that too but I am not sure.

I never once play any games like WoW before that have massive raid involving 10-20 people. So I might check out this game. :) thank you for the answer! It's time I get myself back into MMORPGs

Anteater

There were a few of those over the years. Though I wouldn't mind seeing them revive the property in game form myself.

Tizoc! Omg Shaman King! another anime that need a revival! (in the form of a game)

If Shaman King Flowers is doing good maybe there will be a new game, I don't know who has the license but if cyberconnect2 does it with namco publishing on multiplat like naruto, that'd be cool.

I haven't played any of the shaman king games tho

You can't, but I wouldn't have ignored your request anyway seeing as we have 15 friends and the GAF group in common.

thanks now to tell my friends I have saoirse ronan on my friendlist
emot-smuggog4iep.gif

I'm surprised you still have friend slots left!

Jawmuncher

That feel when you look at Final Fantasy III page on GMG and is still at 13€ :(

To make things easier it's not that good of a FF.
Recently played 1, 2, and 3 and 3 was easily the weakest one to me. The class system is just so slow that it takes a lot of enjoyment from the game.

Rhaknar

I never once play any games like WoW before that have massive raid involving 10-20 people. So I might check out this game. :) thank you for the answer! It's time I get myself back into MMORPGs

thats not massive :(

and on the rocket launcher, I guess ill skip it then

TheSeks

To make things easier it's not that good of a FF.
Recently played 1, 2, and 3 and 3 was easily the weakest one to me. The class system is just so slow that it takes a lot of enjoyment from the game.

If you played 1/2/3 and think 3 is worse than 2... I don't know. Am I in a bizzaro universe?

Hugstable

Banned
I dont want to do NG+, I just want to finish this the sooner the better. its reminding me of Alice Madness Returns, its too long for its own good. if the rocket launcher helps me do that faster, ill buy one

Yeah with the game bordering on near 20 hours, the last section (chapter 5) really feels like it's already gone on too long. I love the game, but goddamn did they make it long. And you should get teh Rocket Launcher... it'll definitely make getting to the ending much much faster.

I know I like me some Nova action. And parties who shall remain unnamed really really dislike them with a flaming passion.

Those Nova Headshots tho lol. That guy in Overpass with the Nova last night was crazy.

Is there a way to uninstall a game and keep the saves/progress?
If the game doesn't keep it's save in it's own folder, you'll keep your progress just fine. That plus if it has Steam Cloud. I don't have some kind of definitive list of what games keep their saves where, but it seems like most still keep them in my documents folder.

Jase might have more to say on it than me, dunno.
Those Nova Headshots tho lol. That guy in Overpass with the Nova last night was crazy.
That's really what you use it for. On unarmored guys it's an instant kill.

TheSeks

thats not massive :(

Not everything can be your penis.

and on the rocket launcher, I guess ill skip it then

Well if you're not planning to play NG+ (which you should to laugh at how easy and fast things go after putting that million on a Chicago Typewriter or the Infinite Rocket Launcher) then spend the cash and see if you can land the shot. But I don't really recommend it.

Also do Mercenaries!

JaseC

The running joke is that she's pretty much the patron saint of the Steam thread, thanks to your avatar and your ardent support, combined with the other Saoirse fans here (some of whom have adopted Saoirse-themed avatars). Personally, I like it - it's one of those things that helps give these threads their color. (But what do I know, right?)

Yeah, I get that, but when the "Saoirse stuff" is used to slight the thread I can't help but scratch my head because it's so minute and infrequent (granted, though, it doesn't happen often -- if Toma's rule was intended as a light-hearted jab, then I apologise for the misunderstanding).

I'm surprised you still have friend slots left!

I crafted a bunch of badges over the past week or so to make some room. The annoying part, though, is that I can no longer reach the next level within 500 XP; if I'm <50 XP towards the next level I have to craft eight badges.

Anteater

have you played ffxiv? Don't really know about raid since I always avoid them, but people seems to like that game (I quit when i got to end game)

Jawmuncher

dead island goty + dead island riptide complete for 10$ worth it? or they are crap?

I've only played Dead Island but I can say that you don't really need the complete version of Riptide. It's just some weapons and boosts along with alternate skins. Just mentioning that since I know there have been packs of just the GOTY and Riptide for 7.50

Anyway if you like FPS RPGs you might end up liking Dead Island. It's kind of picky though since for example I'm not a big fan of Borderlands but I really enjoyed my time with the game. If you have a friend to play with I would say it's more than worth the price for both. While I never played riptide my friends did and they like it just as much as the first game. The focus on melee weapons and grabbing stuff in the environment to use and was what I really enjoyed about it.

have you played ffxiv? Don't really know about raid since I always avoid them, but people seems to like that game (I quit when i got to end game)
I quit at the last dungeon, I think. I still have a month left of game time, but I already wasted two by not really playing it much. I need to sit down and force myself to finish the story and see if I want to subscribe from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom