• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

The running joke is that she's pretty much the patron saint of the Steam thread, thanks to your avatar and your ardent support, combined with the other Saoirse fans here (some of whom have adopted Saoirse-themed avatars). Personally, I like it - it's one of those things that helps give these threads their color. (But what do I know, right?)

I'm beginning to think those are just Jasec's alt accounts

Gurish

I would definitely recommend it. The developers made good use of few mechanics to create puzzles rather than constantly adding more. The puzzles are mostly in separate rooms but there is some in between the areas as well. One of the best parts is how the game teaches you about abilities you may not have realised through these sequences. The story is there, you can skip by it for the most part but it's kinda interesting with how it integrates the whole cloning mechanic into narrative and themes itself.

It's definitely more challenging than Portal 2 since the solution isn't as explicit, no single area painted white all but telling you exactly where to place a portal. Most of the time, the puzzles are designed such that if you had one extra clone or if one area didn't block an ability, the puzzle would be trivial. But because of those limitation, the solution requires some interesting steps.

My only issue is that sometimes it felt like you cheated your way around a puzzle. By its nature, the puzzles are not well defined in the sense that some require timing or areas bathed in ability blocking light are fuzzy. This can be empowering sometimes, giving you the feeling that you outsmarted the game but also rob you of a sense of accomplishment. Mind you, I have never looked up the puzzle solutions so this just might be an issue I created in my head. I may have actually solved the puzzles in the intended way but there were times were I just felt like I brute forced past a room by standing in awkward pixel of the floor.

edit: ha, guess I was slow :p
Not too slow at all, you gave me a better idea of the game, sounds it might be too difficult for me if it's above portal 2 levels, too bad cause i hate feeling dumb too often and using the guide too much, if I'll get stuck too much i guess I'll just quit =

Thanks for your answer.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
To make things easier it's not that good of a FF.
Recently played 1, 2, and 3 and 3 was easily the weakest one to me. The class system is just so slow that it takes a lot of enjoyment from the game.

Going to have to disagree here. I recently finished FF3 on Steam and it was pretty enjoyable. I didn't like it as much as FF4
(which I'm currently replaying on my Android tablet with MOGA controller connected to my 55 inch TV via Chromecast)
but it was a pretty solid experience. This was the first time I played the remake, although I had previously beat the original Famicom game years ago.

I thought it held up pretty well. Sure, the job system wasn't as refined as Final Fantasy V, but there was enough variety to keep things interesting.

Now Final Fantasy 2 on the other hand...

Damn, it worked. I just searched for F2P games in Steam and added five games. I only needed 5XP to reach the next level.
After reaching level 9, I checked my friends tab and there it is. I have 5 more slots now.
Always thought only crafting badges give friend slots but leveling up is enough, too.

Jawmuncher

If you played 1/2/3 and think 3 is worse than 2... I don't know. Am I in a bizzaro universe?

For all the issues 2 had I enjoyed what it at least attempted to do.
By the end of the game it felt rewarding to beat while 3 was more of a thank god that is over.
While both games let you craft your party to how you see fit I enjoyed the progression of 2 more. You could make a member into anything really if you felt like putting in the time. Plus I was a sucker for all of the "disappearing" 4th party members. It made things a bit more interesting even if it happened a bit too much.

Going to have to disagree here. I recently finished FF3 on Steam and it was pretty enjoyable. I didn't like it as much as FF4
(which I'm currently replaying on my Android tablet with MOGA controller connected to my 55 inch TV via Chromecast)
but it was a pretty solid experience. This was the first time I played the remake, although I had previously beat the original Famicom game years ago.

I thought it held up pretty well. Sure, the job system wasn't as refined as Final Fantasy V, but there was enough variety to keep things interesting.

Now Final Fantasy 2 on the other hand...

I already knew I was going to be on the smaller end when I said 2 was better than 3 in my book. I played both of them back to back on iOS and that's just how it went for me.

Parsnip

Having too many games installed is starting to bug me, I think I need to start clearing the in-progress ones. Arkham Oranges Cold Cold Heart is 2-3 hours long it seems, maybe I'll do that first.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
For all the issues 2 had I enjoyed what it at least attempted to do.
By the end of the game it felt rewarding to beat while 3 was more of a thank god that is over.
While both games let you craft your party to how you see fit I enjoyed the progression of 2 more. You could make a member into anything really if you felt like putting in the time. Plus I was a sucker for all of the "disappearing" 4th party members. It made things a bit more interesting even if it happened a bit too much.

Just be clear: You're talking FF2-FF2 and FF3-FF3 and not FF2-FF4 JP, FF3-FF6 JP, yes?

Because FF2 is awful.

"Hey guys you're gonna buff your stats in one way that'll be the complete fucking opposite of what we want you to do in the final dungeon! Enjoy grinding your stats back to neutral and then going that opposite direction for a few hours more!" *trollface at Square*

iosefe

Just be clear: You're talking FF2-FF2 and FF3-FF3 and not FF2-FF4 JP, FF3-FF6 JP, yes?

Because FF2 is awful.

"Hey guys you're gonna buff your stats in one way that'll be the complete fucking opposite of what we want you to do in the final dungeon! Enjoy grinding your stats back to neutral and then going that opposite direction for a few hours more!" *trollface at Square*
Hitting yourself to improve your health was so revolutionary

Jawmuncher

Because FF2 is awful.

Yep i'm talking about the original FF2.
Oddly enough I didn't have much issue with difficulty during the game even with the final area . Well aside from that one enemy. Forgot who it was but he would hit me for way too much damage.

Hitting yourself to improve your health was so revolutionary

I thought it was a interesting way to do things *shrugs*

Tizoc

Final Fantasy 2 should only ever be played for the story, gameplay could've been better though although you can't fault them for trying something different!
Heck did you know that there is an RPG series where it's level system is based on FF2? I believe some of the SaGa games follow that route

Is the complete edition for FF4 good? I've only played the original, and it was good.

The complete edition is based on the SNES ver.
If you want an alternative experience, try the NDS (iOS too IIRC) ver.

I know you're kidding, but to address the point anyway, I very occasionally get a comment about my avatar, or someone occasionally makes some sort of JaseC = Saoirse joke, but that's about the extent of the Saoirse talk -- quiet honestly, I believe the notion that she's a prominent component of the Steam thread (e.g. one of Toma's rules in the indie Summer Sale thread was "No pictures of Irish actresses", which was just bizarre and suggests some sort of "us versus them" mentality) stems from me changing avatars so often and being one of the most prolific posters. I think the last time someone brought her up outside of the aforementioned contexts was when news broke that she auditioned for Star Wars, which was almost a year ago now.

It was a joke. :)

Shadownet

Banned
There were a few of those over the years. Though I wouldn't mind seeing them revive the property in game form myself.

Last one came out for the Gameboy Advance.. i feel old.
I need a 3DS game of Shaman King, of course Steam would be best.

Shotguns in CS:GO are addictive. Finally, they aren't as useless as in previous iterations.
The people who can use them like sniper rifles are amazing.. headshots everywhere. i can't do it. i just can't

If Shaman King Flowers is doing good maybe there will be a new game, I don't know who has the license but if cyberconnect2 does it with namco publishing on multiplat like naruto, that'd be cool.

I haven't played any of the shaman king games tho
cyberconnect 2 still owe a lot of people a .Hack// game that they promised they were working on since 2012 I think. I've been waiting forever.

thats not massive :(

and on the rocket launcher, I guess ill skip it then

have you played ffxiv? Don't really know about raid since I always avoid them, but people seems to like that game (I quit when i got to end game)

No I haven't. as I said previously, I can't justify paying monthly for an MMO when I might not log in for a couple days straight. (if they could charge you by the amount of time you play, that might be better)

But luckily there is a free month for FFXIV i think. So at the very least I will check the game out. :3 and try to get to level 20.

Deitus

I guess this is technically off topic since FF2 is not on Steam, but I liked the idea of the leveling system there.

It was an attempt to address the abstract nature of leveling systems in RPGs, and allow your characters to get better at doing a thing by actually doing that thing, rather than earning an arbitrary number of EXP points to earn a level and getting points distributed into arbitrary stats.

Unfortunately, the way it was implemented was ultimately broken, and led to the game being much grindier than it needed to be, because you didn't have enough control over how your character progressed, and stats would take forever to level without giving any feedback of why they weren't leveling. And of course it led to dumb situations where you would attack your own characters to level up their HP and defense.

It was an interesting idea, and I'd like to see Square revisit a similar system at a later date. Arguably, FFXI borrowed a bit from that system though, which I appreciated.

Sharkiller

A week ago Dead Island/Riptide AND Epidemic were all like $7. You could've gotten the 4-pack of Epidemic for simply installing the damn thing during the "open weekend" as well.

So, they've been cheaper, but for a $3 difference I guess you aren't missing too much...

I dont like mobas so I dont care. I love open world games, but I dont know if they are good.

I've only played Dead Island but I can say that you don't really need the complete version of Riptide. It's just some weapons and boosts along with alternate skins. Just mentioning that since I know there have been packs of just the GOTY and Riptide for 7.50

Anyway if you like FPS RPGs you might end up liking Dead Island. It's kind of picky though since for example I'm not a big fan of Borderlands but I really enjoyed my time with the game. If you have a friend to play with I would say it's more than worth the price for both. While I never played riptide my friends did and they like it just as much as the first game. The focus on melee weapons and grabbing stuff in the environment to use and was what I really enjoyed about it.
thanks. but standard version is not on sale. so the complete es cheaper :p

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It was a joke. :)

If that's the case, then I feel dumb and apologise for the misunderstanding. ;)

Risen 2 Gold Edition $5 - worth it?

I can't weigh in on the game itself other than to say that those who are fond of the original were quite disappointed, but it isn't going to get cheaper than $5, so if you still need to play the original game then you could put 2 on the backburner for the time being.

diablogod

Giveaway

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (diablogod, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Vanguard Princess -- MB-AE32C64C56E2736F - Taken by cyrok. 6 entrants total.
Gravi -- MB-1F63563059CDADA5 - Taken by Hugstable. 2 entrants total.
Alien Shooter 2: Reloaded -- MB-8CD09F18B210217E - Taken by freshVeggie. 3 entrants total.
Little Racers STREET -- MB-D05FE550984CD3A1 - Taken by electroflame. 7 entrants total.
Suguri Collection -- MB-0FBA25364DC212F1 - Taken by PandaPandaPanda. 3 entrants total.
Woodle Tree -- MB-457C91D531E69334 - Taken by Pop. 4 entrants total.

t1407088475z1.png

iosefe

I guess this is technically off topic since FF2 is not on Steam, but I liked the idea of the leveling system there.

It was an attempt to address the abstract nature of leveling systems in RPGs, and allow your characters to get better at doing a thing by actually doing that thing, rather than earning an arbitrary number of EXP points to earn a level and getting points distributed into arbitrary stats.

Unfortunately, the way it was implemented was ultimately broken, and led to the game being much grindier than it needed to be, because you didn't have enough control over how your character progressed, and stats would take forever to level without giving any feedback of why they weren't leveling. And of course it led to dumb situations where you would attack your own characters to level up their HP and defense.

It was an interesting idea, and I'd like to see Square revisit a similar system at a later date. Arguably, FFXI borrowed a bit from that system though, which I appreciated.
I can't help but feel the elder scrolls series took a decent amount of influence in terms of gaining stats. It's the same use this skill for this stat. But it's more focused, and you know what you are levelingfor certain

Anteater

I quit at the last dungeon, I think. I still have a month left of game time, but I already wasted two by not really playing it much. I need to sit down and force myself to finish the story and see if I want to subscribe from there.

Yeah that's the thing with subscription, you would want to play a lot to justify the subscription fee, but sometimes you can't or just don't want to.

The story missions were a lot of fun, especially if you run into people who aren't speed running them. I actually don't remember what the last mission was about though, lol, too many random people and all they wanted to do was people following them.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
and RE4 finished. Real last boss was the stupid jetski ride >_>

Anyway, great game, but I like it about as much as RE5 (which I like a lot), and I still think theres some serious nostalgia rose tinted glasses going on with calling it the best game ever.

So this also has the Ada campaign correct? guess im not finished yet

Yakkue

Has anyone here played and enjoyed The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom?
I just can't put my finger on to why this game didn't do anything for me. Normally this kind of game should be right up my alley. I really like the artstyle, I think the gameplay is based on an interesting idea..I can't find anything to dislike about the game, but somehow it's just not fun to me =/ Such a shame.
Did someone here play through it and could tell me if it picks up later on?

BadRamen

Thanks to yall who pointed out that Killer is Dead sale at GMG! I almost pulled the trigger at $16 the other day so $11 plus my hella credit makes me go WOOOOO :D

maneil99

Just found out you can use instant paypal on steam instead of waiting days (Weeks here in canada) to transfer funds...must resist urge to buy everything on wishlist

Dr Dogg

Well I'm going to shit up this thread with some on topic impressions and pictures galore!

So I've been tucking into Transistor the past couple of hours so I'd thought I'd share with you my initial impressions of the game seeing as it's on sale for a little under a day.

So what is Transistor? Well I wasn't too sure myself as I had heard it was a real time combat RPG from some people and others have said it's a turn based strategy game. Turns out it's both and neither of them. At first I was having some head scratching as to how to get the most out of encounters as this is how things are set up, you have abilities (I don't know what they're call but I'm going with functions as that's what the achievements are pointing too) and they work in different ways. Some are offensive, others are long range and some are defensive. Now you can activate these in real time by pressing the number key to which they are slotted into in a quickbar type thingy (yeah I'm real good with name today huh). Movement is control but WASD or clicking the place you want to go with your mouse. So nothing too far removed from Baston so far right? Well the strategy element is where it gets a liiiitttle different. This is called Turn() mode where you can pause the game, queue up your Functions, plan movement in advance (which I think is sped up as well) and get an overview of the battle. You can't spam your Functions though as each has an allotted amount of points that take up a portion of the Turn() meter as does planning movement to, so striking the right balance is key. Make for an interesting hybrid system that really, really rewards experimentation as to what Functions work well together.

Speaking of Functions and experimentation there is also the ability to nest Functions as upgrades to slotted Functions. These add bonus effect like the teleport function called Jaunt() on it's own doesn't do damage but is good for escape but slotting something like Breach () will cause damage to enemies in the line of your teleport. This is just from me toying around for a couple of hours and there are a few more functions to be found and there is a second slot for each main function to be augmented by (don't know what that does yet but there is talk of Passive skills for each Function so could be that). There are also certain combat bonuses depending on where the enemy is placed relative to Red and bonuses like backstabs which cause increased damage. Also there is a levelling system which is kind of like the battle segments in something DMC or Bayonetta where your get experience for the encounter. I'm a little too early in to know exactly what it unlocks as but I have gained new Functions from it so hopefully there is more goodies along the way. If your're a fan of these kinds of systems and like to play around with new ideas there is lots of scope for experimenting with Transistor.

Now regards to the world and the story it all seems to be unfolding piece by piece. It starts of with the titular Transistor (the sword you use) talking you round from unconsciousness. It appears that a man has been stabbed to death by the Transistor but you don't seem to recall anything on account of the old amnesia trope but the story pieces together what has happened by interactive items in the environment like an items or location with highlighted text or Cloudbank's OVD terminals (seems like the in game equivalent of OCP or Waylen Yutani and Cloudbank appears to be the name of the city the game is set) all the while the Transistor is narrating the game. Eventually you realise the character you are play is a woman named Red and 'someone' has taken her voice, which is quite important to her as she is a famous singer and Red is out to find those responsible from the memories that slowly are coming back to her. I've only got to the first boss encounter so there is a ways to go with the story yet but in between these moments it is beautifully told through narration by the Transistor set to some gorgeous 2D cutscenes.

The music is spectacular (and due to the nature of Red's loss of voice seem to be quite important too). There is also some nice touches like a dedicated hum button as well as a button the pulls off a flourish (well more like a sword-toss-pirouette but I guess that has some flourish to it) and the environments themselves are getting more and more varied and really set the mood and tone of the game.

So after only a couple of hours of playing around I can happily say I'm smitten with Transistor and despite a few of you peeps making it sound great it's more than what I expected. If I haven't bored you all to tears with the above I'll crank out some fuller impression when I've finished it.

Tizoc just shot himself in the foot

*giggle*

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Idle Master is working like a charm:

imgtzjz.jpg

I set it to sort by most cards as virtually all of the games that have more than five drops have virtually worthless cards.

Deitus

I can't help but feel the elder scrolls series took a decent amount of influence in terms of gaining stats. It's the same use this skill for this stat. But it's more focused, and you know what you are levelingfor certain

I feel the same way about the leveling system in Oblivion/Skyrim (never played the earlier ES games) as I do FF2, in that I see what they were going for, and it initially seemed to be what I want, but I hate the way the executed on that idea.

If the game doesn't keep it's save in it's own folder, you'll keep your progress just fine. That plus if it has Steam Cloud. I don't have some kind of definitive list of what games keep their saves where, but it seems like most still keep them in my documents folder.

Jase might have more to say on it than me, dunno.
That's really what you use it for. On unarmored guys it's an instant kill.

Thanks for the response! I'll dig around a bit to find them.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
hmm which one is the Ada campaign?

Seperate Ways or Ada Assigment? I thought it was just 1 but theres two things here

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

imgtzjz.jpg

I set it to sort by most cards as virtually all of the games that have more than five drops have virtually worthless cards.

Good thing you clarified you were idling - for a second there people might have seen you in-game thought you were actually playing some of your games. :)

EDIT: Glad it's working for you!

Dr Dogg

hmm which one is the Ada campaign?

Seperate Ways or Ada Assigment? I thought it was just 1 but theres two things here

Separate Ways is the longer one where as Assignment Ada is just a semi-story challenge mode that is quite short. I'd do Assignment Ada first as I think you get a bonus for completing that to use in Septate Ways.

Enco

imgtzjz.jpg

I wish I didn't care about my play time.

This seems pretty cool.

Play time > money for me

Hey, I tried Watch Dog now after they have patched it and now I finally got passed the initial new game loading screen. Took them long enough.

Is it a good game or does it suffer from Assassins Creed bullshit padding syndrome? I'm done with the prologue but haven't made up my mind yet if I want to continue playing it.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Double, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Double, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Crypt of the Necrodancer -- MB-A437EF99E9E56313 - Taken by Kryptonite. 86 entrants total.

t1407092135z1.png

Toshin

(Off Topic)

There is something I wanted to let you guys know. If you want to find out then click the link.
But once you find out, you can't unlearn it. This is something pretty personal, if you guys don't think you can handle it. Don't click. ignore this post. But if you do click it, I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier. But I thought as my friends, you all deserve to know at least.
Point of no return

o_o shadow.....I hope your going to be ok man..like for real........stay strong.

Yakkue

Stop making me want to buy Transistor you bastards! I've got enough games to finish as it is and I'm hoarding my new found wallet funds for the rainest of days.

So I've been tucking into Transistor the past couple of hours so I'd thought I'd share with you my initial impressions of the game seeing as it's on sale for a little under a day.

Haha :D
Thanks a lot for your impressions. I'm still unsure about this game because I wasn't a huge fan of Bastion, but you make it sound interesting!

Deques

Good thing you clarified you were idling - for a second there people might have seen you in-game thought you were actually playing some of your games. :)

EDIT: Glad it's working for you!

While you are here. Is it possible to set what games to idle? You have done a blacklist where it doesn't idle certain games listed in blacklist. Would it be possible to do it in the opposite way where it only idle games that listed in a whitelist?

Dr Dogg

Hey, I tried Watch Dog now after they have patched it and now I finally got passed the initial new game loading screen. Took them long enough.

Is it a good game or does it suffer from Assassins Creed bullshit padding syndrome? I'm done with the prologue but haven't made up my mind yet if I want to continue playing it.

You can pretty much avoid all the side content as most of it isn't introduced in the story segments unlike the recent Assassin's Creed games. though Chapter 3 does lag a little bit and could have done with a few of the missions being cut. You could knock out the main story in about 15 hours if you just focused on it.

Haha :D
Thanks a lot for your impressions. I'm still unsure about this game because I wasn't a huge fan of Bastion, but you make it sound interesting!

Hahaha yes, well, um, there's a reason behind that but anyway I've only managed about the first 2 chapters of Bastion and while they do share similarities the dynamic for each is quite different. Bastion the world is being created all around you and the story is told piece by piece and the back stories of the characters you meet where as Transistor the world is already complete but you are finding out about it and yourself as you regain you're memories. Transistors levels aren't huge or anything but the environment feels like it has a sense of purpose and belonging to the world unlike Bastions. Granted that's getting a bit arty farty so regard to the combat if you've played a Final Fantasy game ever the paused mode is kind of like 12 and 13 where you can queue up your actions but it's not in active time. You could play the game as a real time action game or just use the pause mode but I think judging by the first boss you have to use both to be really effective as Red is quite slow to manoeuvre whilst in real time but shes super fast like a rocket whilst using the pause and queueing mode so but because that's limited a balance is needed which I found works quite well once you get the hang of things. Though You can control everything just on a 3 buttoned mouse (I think all but 3 keys are mapped there) and once the systems click you get that 'wow aren't I smart' kind of feeling like when you solve a puzzle without using a guide.

GiantBomb had some extended footage and I think because they're good friends with Greg Kasavin they had a semi-sort of behind the scenes making of there too. So you might want to check some professional opinions as well as my ramblings ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom