• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Idle Master is working like a charm:

imgtzjz.jpg

I set it to sort by most cards as virtually all of the games that have more than five drops have virtually worthless cards.
That only means that my penis pics will get ignored in all that card noise.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
While you are here. Is it possible to set what games to idle? You have done a blacklist where it doesn't idle certain games listed in blacklist. Would it be possible to do it in the opposite way where it only idle games that listed in a whitelist?

Yes this is something I have planned for a future release. Basically it'll be a whitelist and it will idle the AppIDs you have listed in the whitelist, in order, before any others are idled.

Idle Master is working like a charm:

imgtzjz.jpg

I set it to sort by most cards as virtually all of the games that have more than five drops have virtually worthless cards.

Yup, it's great. Unfortunately I only have 5 games left to idle as I've been keeping it on for the last three days. Oh well, I guess 10€ by doing nothing isn't too bad.

Besides, finally got to craft on of the best looking badges on Steam:
d255d6d3a808959479e716f386dafdb61c0fbafe.png

sprinkles

I wish I didn't care about my play time.

This seems pretty cool.

Play time > money for me
I know where you come from. I get pretty OCD with my playtime as well, but for the dozens of games with 2-3 hours of idling time I pretty much said eff it. The games >5 hours are the games I finished and those are the ones I still care about the time.

Enco

I know where you come from. I get pretty OCD with my playtime as well, but for the dozens of games with 2-3 hours of idling time I pretty much said eff it. The games >5 hours are the games I finished and those are the ones I still care about the time.
Good point. I don't see most games anyway.

As long as I have an accurate play time for games I like I'm happy.

Arthea

This seems pretty cool.

Play time > money for me

My playtimes are all over the place as I alt-tab and multitask a lot, leave games running and forget I did, and other normal stuff. It's not the first time I read that people care about playtimes. Could you kindly explain me why?

Enco

My playtimes are all over the place as I alt-tab and multitask a lot, leave games running and forget I did, and other normal stuff. It's not the first time I read that people care about playtimes. Could you kindly explain me why?
I don't really know.

I just like seeing how much I've gotten out of a game. I realise that you can't judge every game in a $ per hour basis but it's nice to know.

When I really think about it I can't come up with a rational reason. It doesn't make any difference but I still care about it.

Jawmuncher

are they both story things? I dont care about arcade mode or something like that (I dont care for the mercenaries mode for example)

Heathen.
Mercenaries is the true reward for beating the game. Was so sad that I had to beat the game again to get acess to it.

You are not asking me, but my 2 cents... I care about my playtime because I like to know how long it took me to beat a game, if I idle for cards I don't know if it took me 12 hours, 11 or 10. I know it's probably an stupid issue but still... I'm slightly OCD.

Good point. I don't see most games anyway.

As long as I have an accurate play time for games I like I'm happy.

And besides, the time it takes to idle is usually the time I would try out/tweak the games anyway so for me it's still pretty accurate.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Good thing you clarified you were idling - for a second there people might have seen you in-game thought you were actually playing some of your games. :)

EDIT: Glad it's working for you!

Oh-ho-ho. ;)

This seems pretty cool.

Play time > money for me

I'm in the opposite but nonetheless similar boat: I don't care about idling inflating my playtime figures, but I hate that it's not tracked in Offline Mode. I actually refuse to play games in OM (unless I have to) for this reason.

That only means that my penis pics will get ignored in all that card noise.

No they won't. Uh, I mean... :p

derExperte

The same reason why I still care about achievements, both are like a diary/reminder of what I've played. I idle some games when the cards are worth more than 10c but overall prefer to know how much time I put into a game exactly. I also avoid alt-tabbing and leaving a game running in the background.

Oh and yes, I'm one of those creepy stalker dudes who click on others profiles to see what and how long they've played something.

You can pretty much avoid all the side content as most of it isn't introduced in the story segments unlike the recent Assassin's Creed games. though Chapter 3 does lag a little bit and could have done with a few of the missions being cut. You could knock out the main story in about 15 hours if you just focused on it.
That's great to hear, buddy. So I take it that all the side activities are still as awful as ever?

Although the MC seems like such a shithead. Not sure if I can take 15 hours of his bullshit

Enco

Oh-ho-ho. ;)

I'm in the opposite but nonetheless similar boat: I don't care about idling inflating my playtime figures, but I hate that it's not tracked in Offline Mode. I actually refuse to play games in OM (unless I have to) for this reason.

No they won't. Uh, I mean... :p
Oh yea forget offline mode. I don't play any games in offline mode.

YOLO idling To The Moon.

Nabs

The same reason why I still care about achievements, both are like a diary/reminder of what I've played. I idle some games when the cards are worth more than 10c but overall prefer to know how much time I put into a game exactly. I also avoid alt-tabbing and leaving a game running in the background.

I usually use howlongtobeat to keep track of my times. I need to get back to doing that.

I made enough steambucks from cards to buy a copy of Mount Your Friends for myself and one for SteamGAF.
I've found this game to get a lot of laughs at parties, and has controls that are surprisingly fun to master (you control individual limbs like Octodad, though I have not played that yet).
Local multi is where it's at for this, and I hear this version has many modes that are local multi exclusive.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (billmcdougal, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Mount Your Friends -- MB-4803457983AACC72 - Taken by 8 X 11 Printer Paper. 36 entrants total.

t1407100175z1.png

I know you're kidding, but to address the point anyway, I very occasionally get a comment about my avatar, or someone occasionally makes some sort of JaseC = Saoirse joke, but that's about the extent of the Saoirse talk -- quiet honestly, I believe the notion that she's a prominent component of the Steam thread (e.g. one of Toma's rules in the indie Summer Sale thread was "No pictures of Irish actresses", which was just bizarre and suggests some sort of "us versus them" mentality) stems from me changing avatars so often and being one of the most prolific posters. I think the last time someone brought her up outside of the aforementioned contexts was when news broke that she auditioned for Star Wars, which was almost a year ago now.

I was in an airport last week and saw a couple of pictures of an actress around the place. Was wondering where I also kept seeing her recently, then I remembered, avatars in the Steam thread on NeoGaf.

iosefe

I feel the same way about the leveling system in Oblivion/Skyrim (never played the earlier ES games) as I do FF2, in that I see what they were going for, and it initially seemed to be what I want, but I hate the way the executed on that idea.

I think it's much more apparent in Skyrim. gone are the classes that you select, and the choosing of major and minor skills, here you just equip a thing, and use it to get better, it's basically the same thing. except more people liked skyrim than ff2

JustLynx

Quick leftover

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (JustLynx, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sid Meiers Ace Patrol -- MB-24B5C601B848CC9F - Taken by Capt.Haddock. 4 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Sid Meiers Ace Patrol was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1407090695z1.png

JaseC

I was in an airport last week and saw a couple of pictures of an actress around the place. Was wondering where I also kept seeing her recently, then I remembered, avatars in the Steam thread on NeoGaf.

I wish my city's airport were like that, then I wouldn't groan to myself every time someone rings me to pick them up ;)

Dr Dogg

That's great to hear, buddy. So I take it that all the side activities are still as awful as ever?

Although the MC seems like such a shithead. Not sure if I can take 15 hours of his bullshit

I'd say Aiden is a nonentity as he really doesn't have too much personality but I don't know if something was lost in the process from script to game as I get the feeling from the story he's meant to be empty inside but he just comes across as bland. They could have gone the Travis Bickle route and made him a right weirdo but I guess that would have turned off some (or a lot) of the audience.

Regards to the side content, the crimes activities play out the same, you can play a bastard hard drinking game when you have to move the cursor to a designated spot and press the corresponding button(s), you can play chess, you can traverse towers (even smaller than AC and FC ones), you can compete in races and do jobs where you have to transport a person to a set location. The best side activity though are the gang hideouts as these are like little challenge sections like the Predator maps in the Arkaham games. They have the most amount of variation and you can going in stealthy, brute force or use you tech and gadgets.But I get they might not be everyone's cup of tea.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
My dear fellow GAFfers...!

I hope you get more time to hang around the thread and play games in the future :D

On my behalf, I apologize for writing such post.

I've been away almost one month from posting (due the lack of time and other things) and away from even playing Steam games and just wanted to check things with some great GAFfers I truly care and like. I'll refrain from such things in the future if they are offensive or bother many others. Carry on.

This is what happens when we fight, people :(

I cant decide if this
Krauser
fight in RE4 was the stupidest thing ever or the best thing ever

probably a bit of columm A and a bit of columm B

It's basically that. The fight's got some cool moments, but it feels like it goes on for a little too long.

You could have always browsed via the mobile site and not clicked on image links, which is probably best practice if you're browsing NeoGAF from work anyway.

The ratio of Steam to OT discussion in the thread has returned to a reasonable level, IMO. Admittedly, things got out of hand after the last big sale, but people have reined it in. The OT stuff's not so overwhelming that the thread's drowning in waifus and alpacas, but things are loose enough that individual posters' personalities still shine through. You can get a sense of them as people, outside of what games they play.

Some people here aren't satisfied with that, though. These are the people who will only be content if there's no off-topic posting in the thread whatsoever. I get the distinct impression that said people would be perfectly content seeing the thread devolve into some sort of dessicated, lifeless info-only resource, because that's all they're interested in. And it's inevitably the same people banging this particular drum.

The worst of the OT posting here stopped because the people responsible saw what they were doing and voluntarily reined themselves in. The ones calling loudly and repeatedly for eliminating all OT discussion (and complaining about it whenever it happens) need to start showing similar self-restraint. Compromise isn't a dirty word, guys. Sometimes it's all we've got.

I hope people listen to this post, but some probably won't.

Tizoc just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about SteamGaf culture (I'm an expert), but gaming talk and playing video games are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in AnimeGaf where you can become successful by posting about Waifus. If you post a single anime waifu image, you bring shame to yourself and the rest of steamgaf, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is steamgaf, after hearing about this, are going to make 3 pages of posts about how terrible off topic talks are, nor will they post about games ever again. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Tizoc has fucked up the entire thread with his move.

Tizoc, publicly apologize and post a giveaway or you can kiss this thread goodbye.

Okay, this is pretty good.

and RE4 finished. Real last boss was the radical jetski ride >_>

Fixed :p

So this also has the Ada campaign correct? guess im not finished yet

There is an Ada campaign, Separate Ways, but it's not really that good. You can tell that it was just sloppily thrown together for the original PS2 release as an incentive for buying that version.

Well I'm going to shit up this thread with some on topic impressions and pictures galore!

Oh god so many pictures what have you done

You're making me want to buy Transistor even more with impressions like those >_>

Still the best RE4 gif other than the nope gif. Hell, it's probably my favorite RE gif in general :p

Whenever I get around to playing any of the games I've actually idled, I'll just use a stopwatch or something like that to keep track of time played. I'll put that in backloggery, etc. so I know the actual time spent in game.

JaseC

It's this picture, around Dublin airport in a few places as part of some advert.

saoirse_thumb.jpg

Ah. Yeah, Connect Ireland is an initiative to bring more businesses and thus jobs to Ireland -- it's rather neat in that if your suggestion actually gets off the ground and the company does set up shop in Ireland, then you receive a cash reward as thanks. I know this because I watched the PSA... because Saoirse's in it. Sadly, though, I don't live in Ireland, so I couldn't do my part to help even if I wanted to, haha.

Yakkue

Hahaha yes, well, um, there's a reason behind that but anyway I've only managed about the first 2 chapters of Bastion and while they do share similarities the dynamic for each is quite different. Bastion the world is being created all around you and the story is told piece by piece and the back stories of the characters you meet where as Transistor the world is already complete but you are finding out about it and yourself as you regain you're memories. Transistors levels aren't huge or anything but the environment feels like it has a sense of purpose and belonging to the world unlike Bastions. Granted that's getting a bit arty farty so regard to the combat if you've played a Final Fantasy game ever the paused mode is kind of like 12 and 13 where you can queue up your actions but it's not in active time. You could play the game as a real time action game or just use the pause mode but I think judging by the first boss you have to use both to be really effective as Red is quite slow to manoeuvre whilst in real time but shes super fast like a rocket whilst using the pause and queueing mode so but because that's limited a balance is needed which I found works quite well once you get the hang of things. Though You can control everything just on a 3 buttoned mouse (I think all but 3 keys are mapped there) and once the systems click you get that 'wow aren't I smart' kind of feeling like when you solve a puzzle without using a guide.

GiantBomb had some extending footage and I think because they're good friends with Greg Kasavin they had a semi sort of behind the scenes making of there too. So you might want to check some professional opinions as well as my ramblings ;)

You've convinced me to put it on my wishlist, so I can one day try it out myself :) The combat system does sound like fun. How hard would you say it is so far?

Ah. Yeah, Connect Ireland is an initiative to bring more businesses and thus jobs to Ireland -- it's rather neat in that if your suggestion actually gets off the ground and the company does set up shop in Ireland, then you receive a cash reward as thanks. I know this because I watched the PSA... because Saoirse's in it.
O..k.... slightly backing up of this creepy stalker
<3

Arthea

I don't really know.

I just like seeing how much I've gotten out of a game. I realise that you can't judge every game in a $ per hour basis but it's nice to know.

When I really think about it I can't come up with a rational reason. It doesn't make any difference but I still care about it.

You are not asking me, but my 2 cents... I care about my playtime because I like to know how long it took me to beat a game, if I idle for cards I don't know if it took me 12 hours, 11 or 10. I know it's probably an stupid issue but still... I'm slightly OCD.

Oh and yes, I'm one of those creepy stalker dudes who click on others profiles to see what and how long they've played something.

I understand wanting to know how long you played particular game (except stalking thingy), but for example: if I played 5 hour game, and left it running in background for 5 more hours, because I forgot, I still know it was 5 hour game, I might be not so sure was it 4, 5 or 6 hours, but I'll know it wasn't 10 hours. That's what I mean. You still remember that some game was 30 hours game even years later, well maybe not for all games, but for those you cared about, you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom