• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

hey SteamGAF wow so much OT doge.tif I don't mind OT talk hey don't talk about talking about OT talk.. ok? y u r mad tho r u even a mod bro? 100% MRORANGE.. I agree.. well, I don't agree moar liek 100%MRWRONG m i rite?.. well, I DO agree so u are wrong... oh you complained about an off topic post, tell me more about your exciting steam talk-willywonka.png -- I'm sick of pictures of steam games in my steam thread I can't even view it at work? what the fuck am I supposed to do at work? work? oprah-no.gif

wow what a wild ride!

Everyone should play Lovely Planet, the bright colors and the happy music along with the speed of the gameplay really gets you going.. The instant restart mechanic only adds to its addictive nature. The game is pretty lengthy on its own (100 levels) and if you are a perfectionist type you will get plenty of mileage out of it... lovelyplanet.webm

I think I'll go grab it soon. The GB Quick look got me interested.

Divius

hey SteamGAF wow so much OT doge.tif I don't mind OT talk hey don't talk about talking about OT talk.. ok? y u r mad tho r u even a mod bro? 100% MRORANGE.. I agree.. well, I don't agree moar liek 100%MRWRONG m i rite?.. well, I DO agree so u are wrong... oh you complained about an off topic post, tell me more about your exciting steam talk-willywonka.png -- I'm sick of pictures of steam games in my steam thread I can't even view it at work? what the fuck am I supposed to do at work? work? oprah-no.gif
Jake-Gyllenhaal-shaking-head.gif

Deitus

So I beat Risk of Rain the other day... I didn't really like it that much. The initial characters you start off as aren't really fun at all (commando, enforcer)... After I unlocked Acrid, I just stuck to using him exclusively. All the characters are really slow though, it made exploring the maps tedious. That your money didn't carry over to the next level also didn't help matters, since you'd have to backtrack to chests and waste even more time. I really hate random generation, but that at least was okay in this game, since it only really affect the gate and some geography. The actual levels themselves were always the same, with only a few permutations of layouts.

The thing that bugged me the most was enemy spawning. Frequently, so many enemies would appear and cause the frame rate to plummet. For example, after activating the gate, I usually stuck around to one area to make sure all the enemies wouldn't spawn all over the map and make me waste my time to track them down, but then I'd get like 40-50 enemies in one spot and my fps would drop to the 20s. Heaven forbid if you had a ghost ability on, too. It's not even as if combat was fun, either (it was just okay), so I don't understand the point of doing that. On the subject of combat, bosses were alright I guess. Cremator was the worst though.

So yeah, overall I didn't have much fun. Sort of disappointing, but whatever. On to the next game.

I'm torn on Risk of Rain. It started to pick up a lot more once I unlocked newer character class and a bunch more items. I do like the variety in character classes, though as you said all of them move much too slow. The classes that aren't good at damaging multiple enemies at once are pretty useless after a certain point though.

I like the achievements to unlock characters and items. Made it so there was always a secondary objective to work towards. The UI is godawful though (Mouse only navigation, and not even good for a mouse). Controller support is quite poor. Controls are default mapped to the analog stick, and if you map movement to the d-pad it will only recognize inputs that are purely X or Y (if you push up and left, you don't move at all). This makes grabbing ladders mid-jump next to impossible. On the analog side, there seems to be no dead zone at all, so every time I would release the stick, it would snap my character in the opposite direction, causing me to attack in the wrong direction.

But I did really enjoy the combat system and the item progression. It was really fun to amass an army of drones, and certain combinations of items allow you to do some crazy things. There is even a rune you unlock that lets you chose what item you want to get from basically every item pickup, which lets you get crazy overpowered (though trying to select an item from a list while enemies are constantly respawning and attacking you is... difficult to say the least).

Sadly, the constant respawn rate, that gets up to insane levels as the timer counts up was just too stressful for me. Especially on the last level, it was basically impossible to kill enemies faster than they spawn, so you just have to never stop moving and spam your dodge move constantly. And sadly there is no way to quit a game and resume later, you have to complete a run in a single session. So after beating the game a few times, I found myself with awful stress headaches. I think there is a lot I liked about the game, but I probably won't play it again in the near future.

Knurek

interesting you'd put 8 over 7
i like both games but 8 had too much story nonsense in it for me and characters weren't my favorites ('cept laguna!).
both games are great tho
and much better than the last remnant, cmon dude

I like complex systems in my jRPG, stories are almost universally bollocks (or, at best, mediocre rip-offs of Laputa), dungeon design in general doesn't hold a candle to western games, but give my a convoluted, unintuitive way of breaking the game to hell and back, and I'm a happy camper.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

You're just adding more fuel to the fire with that :/

HuniePop is coming to Steam? And it has an AO version? Does it actually have nudity, or is it because of the insane amount of trashtalk I recall seeing from the trailer?

Well, their website had pictures of anime sex toys, fingering, and whatever this probably NSFW "late game content" is supposed to be, so I'm going to guess it's the former.

This game is going to be so bad.

zkylon

zkylewd
I like complex systems in my jRPG, stories are almost universally bollocks (or, at best, mediocre rip-offs of Laputa), dungeon design in general doesn't hold a candle to western games, but give my a convoluted, unintuitive way of breaking the game to hell and back, and I'm a happy camper.

i have no idea what you're talking about but i wouldn't say either ff8 or 7 have complex systems

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
vanguard princess cards are surprisingly good value!

thank you, based waifu lovers

Deitus

i have no idea what you're talking about but i wouldn't say either ff8 or 7 have complex systems

8's Junction system was somewhat complex. Or at the very least it wasn't a standard straightforward leveling system.

It was also incredibly easy to break the game by taking advantage of it.

Kanhir

8's Junction system was somewhat complex. Or at the very least it wasn't a standard straightforward leveling system.

It was also incredibly easy to break the game by taking advantage of it.

And it actively discouraged you from using magic, considering you had to spend ages farming spells and you'd drop a stat whenever you used one.

tmarg

I bought it thinking the value would rise fast and put the thing up for sale with a high price so I could just click on it in the market overview to get to the listing (was before Valve implemented a button to do that). But then got a few invites which annoyed me. Still have it because the value hasn't risen despite a very limited number available, it looks almost like nobody is using it, only dudes like me speculating. :(

The first rule of collecting is don't buy anything being sold as a collectable.

Knurek

i have no idea what you're talking about but i wouldn't say ff8 has complex systems

How can you think Junction, coupled with GF Skills, coupled with Triple Triad card refinind, coupled with Aura+LowHP+Zell's DeathFist of Doom, coupled with an almost infinite number of exploits I'm probably forgetting at the moment is not complex?

Parsnip

So after only a couple of hours of playing around I can happily say I'm smitten with Transistor and despite a few of you peeps making it sound great it's more than what I expected. If I haven't bored you all to tears with the above I'll crank out some fuller impression when I've finished it.
This is how I felt after a few hours, but then I suddenly lost interest in it. No idea why exactly, hopefully you won't.

I really should go back and finish it, I'm sure I'm close to the end too.

Ozium

I really want that new Groupees bundle to go up it's been "coming soon" for a while now... I want to see the games, the pricing structure, the bonuses... I want to see it all!

zkylon

zkylewd
How can you think Junction, coupled with GF Skills, coupled with Triple Triad card refinind, coupled with Aura+LowHP+Zell's DeathFist of Doom, coupled with an almost infinite number of exploits I'm probably forgetting at the moment is not complex?
it's just elaborate but it's not complex or deep. dragon age 2 also had a lot of sliders and upgrade trees and whatnot and that shit wasn't complex either

i won't argue about exploits cos i never bother with those

Hugstable

Banned

Yeah FF8 had alot of complex systems... but much like FF5, those systems led to easy ways to break the game early on. FF8, despite me really loving the complexity of the GF and junction system, I just couldn't get over having to mash square during each summon while having to watch the full animation each time.

Awww, Ys 1's config menu is cute.

It's not often that devs bother to add charm to something like a config menu. I like it.

something something waifu

YS Oath had something like that too I thought.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Rogue Legacy Question...to Architect or not to architect?

I say it's worth the price as there will be times you either failed to get a Fairy Chest or were simply unable to access it as you lack an ability such as triple jumping or not a dwarf, and with the Architect you can try once more to get it for those blue-prints or runes and you really don't lose too much out of it.

Deitus

Rogue Legacy Question...to Architect or not to architect?

You should definitely at least unlock him, though I barely ever used his services. Really the only time I used him was when my previous run had a lot of rune chests that I missed because I didn't have the right class (or I needed the dwarfism trait).

I guess it's useful if you die against a boss and want to fight him again right away, but I found that in the long run it's better to do a full run clearing out everything, so that you can get better at the game, and level up your stats while you are at it, rather than trying to fight the boss over and over again. When you can clear out a whole area and still have full health, that's how you know you are ready to take on the boss. So for me, using the architect was just throwing money away most of the time.

Sega Sammy is the holdings company of Sega and Sammy, the latter of which Sega merged with in 2004. High Moon Studios, responsible for the recent Transformers games, is actually Sammy's former development studio.
Ah, now it makes sense. Always thought that Sammy is a cutesy thing.

Anyone up for Left4Dead2 at 00.00 CET ( 18:00 EST / 16:00 PST)? Can start an hour later 1CET/7EST/3PST if needed.
Four player, co-op campaign.
I just found a very cool custom campaign. Death From Above.
Just go here, download the campaign (80MB), extract the .vpk file to \SteamApps\common\Left 4 Dead 2\left4dead2\addons

Frosty and me are gonna play. (Right frosty?) So two more needed.

aku:jiki

I say it's worth the price as there will be times you either failed to get a Fairy Chest or were simply unable to access it as you lack an ability such as triple jumping or not a dwarf, and with the Architect you can try once more to get it for those blue-prints or runes and you really don't lose too much out of it.
IMO, the true reason to lock down the castle is if you get one with like 3-5 item rooms, so you have a chance at 3-5 compasses which translates to 6-15 blueprints/runes. Fairy chests are sort of a dime a dozen.

Monooboe

I have to go away from the computer for most of the day and I come back to an PM that says I won Typing of the Dead! Oh happy indeed!:D Thanks again to Speevy for the giveaway.

some thug dude at a party last night (or this morning) asked me to join his dota2 group

i don't play dota2

I'm never sure how to react to people asking for game details. Remember going to the vita launch a few years back and a few people asking for my username and I was like "uhhhhhhhhhhhh" I tend to not mention such things at all unless games happen to come up for some bizarre reason.

Of course I've added hundreds of people on steam, suppose it's just odd to have an actual person tied to it. I also assume everyone posting in this thread is an Adonis while the person at gamestop was kind of weird :p

Cheddahz

Banned
I'm never sure how to react to people asking for game details. Remember going to the vita launch a few years back and a few people asking for my username and I was like "uhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Of course I've added hundreds of people on steam, suppose it's just odd to have an actual person tied to it. I also assume everyone posting in this thread is an Adonis while the person at gamestop was kind of weird :p

i went to a show last week and some dude asked me if i was cheddahz

it was weird

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of billmcdougal, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (billmcdougal, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Mount Your Friends -- MB-4803457983AACC72 - Taken by 8 X 11 Printer Paper. 36 entrants total.

t1407100175z1.png

Dr Dogg

That reminds me that I have to make the linked image the op stand out more as someone thought it was just a image.

Ha! Easy thing to miss but I'll keep championing that thread as it's come in handy for me a few times already.

This is how I felt after a few hours, but then I suddenly lost interest in it. No idea why exactly, hopefully you won't.

I really should go back and finish it, I'm sure I'm close to the end too.

Fingers crossed. I get the feeling I'm only scratching the surface and only just getting a handle on the best way to use the mechanics so I guess we'll. Though I've been pretty good in finishing games recently (well unless they're bloody 50+ hour epics) so I should at least see this through and might have a proper look at the achievements.

One down, six to go.

[IM]http://abload.de/img/fm2013akvukj.jpg[/IMG]

How much is too much for you to spend? I noticed Play-Asia have a few of them for in and around $35. They are all labelled Asian but I didn't know if there's a difference between those and the South Korean versions. Shipping to the UK is free so don't know what it would be for you but I'd imagine the same seeing as they're based in Hong Kong and loads closer to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom