• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How much is too much for you to spend? I noticed Play-Asia have a few of them for in and around $35. They are all labelled Asian but I didn't know if there's a difference between those and the South Korean versions. Shipping to the UK is free so don't know what it would be for you but I'd imagine the same seeing as they're based in Hong Kong and loads closer to you.

There's no such thing as too much. ;) Not that I'm in the position to say "Money is no object!", but rather I'm not against spending hundreds if I absolutely have to. Spin imported FM 2013 Asia for me from P-A, incidentally, and it's the only one with an Asian-specific app. The Korean flavours are the only other instalments I need now -- Nzyme32 may have a friend who can help me out with 2009, but beyond that I'm still shit out of luck. I'll import 2010-2014 if necessary, but in doing so I'd be paying almost twice the price, which is why I went as far as making a thread calling for help (annoyingly, I'd be in the clear if a certain GAFer didn't change his mind, and without telling me at that, but there's no use in crying over spilled milk).

I bet that cost you a pretty penny?

USD$46. PayPal doesn't support gift payments to India yet, so I had to throw a bit on top to cover the transaction fee. At the time the P-A store page said there was just one copy left in stock, but as we later learned this figure doesn't refer to P-A's secondary warehouses, however I'm not bothered -- better safe than sorry and all that.

Is just a widescreen fix enough for Deus Ex? I remember thinking the game felt really slow the last couple times I tried to play, and was not sure if it was meant to be like that.

Double

Ah, now it makes sense. Always thought that Sammy is a cutesy thing.

Anyone up for Left4Dead2 at 00.00 CET ( 18:00 EST / 16:00 PST)? Can start an hour later 1CET/7EST/3PST if needed.
Four player, co-op campaign.
I just found a very cool custom campaign. Death From Above.
Just go here, download the campaign (80MB), extract the .vpk file to \SteamApps\common\Left 4 Dead 2\left4dead2\addons

Frosty and me are gonna play. (Right frosty?) So two more needed.
Just fired it up, 2 hour download, so yeah, 1 CET and I'm in^^

I'm sure the other guys might be right, but honestly I've never used the feature.
lol ya, me neither. Sounds really smart with those fairy chests though, why haven't I thought of that? I'm not exactly through with the game though, I kinda like to restart it all over from level 1 from time to time.

Ah, now it makes sense. Always thought that Sammy is a cutesy thing.

Anyone up for Left4Dead2 at 00.00 CET ( 18:00 EST / 16:00 PST)? Can start an hour later 1CET/7EST/3PST if needed.
Four player, co-op campaign.
I just found a very cool custom campaign. Death From Above.
Just go here, download the campaign (80MB), extract the .vpk file to \SteamApps\common\Left 4 Dead 2\left4dead2\addons

Frosty and me are gonna play. (Right frosty?) So two more needed.
Never played that map. I think I'm gonna join if there's still place for another player.

Arthea

I play all fighting games with keyboard, it's the best way to play, when you remap them
come at me!
I don't really play fighting games, I play with them

so, no 100% fun today either? I blame idlem@ster

Now try it with a DDR mat.

someone understands what's up!

Double

What's this 100% fun thing? :p
edit: ahhh right. I need to wait for that incoming bundle for that ^_^

Is it any good? I liked the first one but haven't seen the "new" one yet.
Dito, I think the 2nd one got a lot of negative flak sadly. My brother didn't like it either.

Playing SSFIV with a keyboard is something else.
It's not fundamentally different than using a Hitbox.

HitBox4-1.jpg

Awesome. Hopefully Liberty Island doesn't have me cancel a play through like it always does.
Haha, after enough playthroughs it's kind of become one of my favourite spots. I guess it fills me with that comforting feeling of being at home on starting a new run.

Dr Dogg

There's no such thing as too much. ;) Not that I'm in the position to say "Money is no object!", but rather I'm not against spending hundreds if I absolutely have to. Spin imported FM 2013 Asia for me from P-A, incidentally, and it's the only one with an Asian-specific app. The Korean flavours are the only other instalments I need now -- Nzyme32 may have a friend who can help me out with 2009, but beyond that I'm still shit out of luck. I'll import 2010-2014 if necessary, but in doing so I'd be paying almost twice the price, which is why I went as far as making a thread calling for help (annoyingly, I'd be in the clear if a certain GAFer didn't change his mind, and without telling me at that, but there's no use in crying over spilled milk).

Yeah I've just had a look in the DB, there's more blooming versions that I thought! You'll go to the Ball one day Cinders Saoirse.

Their names escape me but there were a couple of peeps who used to do keyboard only DMC4 combo challenges that used to post vids on YouTube. What's quite scary is that they are waaaaaay better than I am using a controller. It's doable as there no need for analog input and I doubt you'd go over a 4 key roll over limit of most keyboards unless you're going crazy.

It's not fundamentally different than using a Hitbox.

They've gotten swankier. Most Hitboxes I've seen have been custom made out of switches and any old wood kicking around someone's house. I guess they're starting to catch on now.

Shadownet

Banned
Regarding the Last Remnant. (Just tried it for a bit) I'm getting a lot of screen testing. There isn't a VSYNCH option in game. Anyway I can smooth this out?

Haha, after enough playthroughs it's kind of become one of my favourite spots. I guess it fills me with that comforting feeling of being at home on starting a new run.

I know that feel. Like Mumbo's Mountain in Banjo Kazooie or Seyda Neen in Morrowind.

The farthest I've ever gotten is that bar after the subway, but this week is the start of me playing through games I had given up on no matter how awful. E.Y.E is done, so I'm hoping Deus Ex turns out to be as great as advertised, because I need a good game after the 3 flops I just finished.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's not fundamentally different than using a Hitbox

I've been wanting to try a set-up like that, but I'm not too sure how to "layout" on a keyboard like that. :/ For $200+ for a PS360 compt. hitbox, that's too rich for my blood.

Jawmuncher

I was messing around with Evil Ryu when I had used the Keyboard. The hitbox was what I was trying to remember since I know that is similar. The chance of getting pretty good seems to be there since the inputs were faster but that's one hell of a curve to deal with.

Seems even more steep than Controller to Arcade Stick.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of valouris, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (valouris, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Deus Ex HR Director's Cut -- MB-794AFC8B9E1F0284 - Taken by redlacs. 26 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Deus Ex HR Director's Cut was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1407103415z1.png

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I may not be the biggest fan of Deus Ex, but that main menu theme is still rockin'.

Yes it is.

Oh and I love Deus Ex.

Right, for some reason I saw someone mention The Last Remnant and I may actually try to play a bit of it. I've been meaning to for ages yet seem to get distracted by er...everything. I'll report back if I make significant progress.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Awww, Ys 1's config menu is cute.

It's not often that devs bother to add charm to something like a config menu. I like it.

something something waifu
yoooo this made me feel nostalgic. I just played Ys 1 last year too. Ys 2 has something like this as well.

I did this yesterday. For like 20 minutes before I realized my stupidity. Maybe I'll just wait until I get a controller.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
edit: damn it, I didn't mean to double post. Sorry.

I'm torn on Risk of Rain. It started to pick up a lot more once I unlocked newer character class and a bunch more items. I do like the variety in character classes, though as you said all of them move much too slow. The classes that aren't good at damaging multiple enemies at once are pretty useless after a certain point though.

I like the achievements to unlock characters and items. Made it so there was always a secondary objective to work towards. The UI is godawful though (Mouse only navigation, and not even good for a mouse). Controller support is quite poor. Controls are default mapped to the analog stick, and if you map movement to the d-pad it will only recognize inputs that are purely X or Y (if you push up and left, you don't move at all). This makes grabbing ladders mid-jump next to impossible. On the analog side, there seems to be no dead zone at all, so every time I would release the stick, it would snap my character in the opposite direction, causing me to attack in the wrong direction.

But I did really enjoy the combat system and the item progression. It was really fun to amass an army of drones, and certain combinations of items allow you to do some crazy things. There is even a rune you unlock that lets you chose what item you want to get from basically every item pickup, which lets you get crazy overpowered (though trying to select an item from a list while enemies are constantly respawning and attacking you is... difficult to say the least).

Sadly, the constant respawn rate, that gets up to insane levels as the timer counts up was just too stressful for me. Especially on the last level, it was basically impossible to kill enemies faster than they spawn, so you just have to never stop moving and spam your dodge move constantly. And sadly there is no way to quit a game and resume later, you have to complete a run in a single session. So after beating the game a few times, I found myself with awful stress headaches. I think there is a lot I liked about the game, but I probably won't play it again in the near future.

The game definitely got better as more things unlocked. I've only tried 4 characters, so I can't comment too much on diversity, but I did think their variety was neat... But the most important thing is crowd control, and some classes just don't cut it, like commando. You also basically can't finish a run without healing items, especially as a melee character like Acrid. The problem with items is that once you get too overpowered, the game is just a slog. Like I had so many healing items that I healed faster than the enemies damaged, so I just stood there and mashed my basic combo. Also one time I had 8 or 9 drones, so I sat there and let them take care of things.

I got all the in-game achievements, but I probably wouldn't have gone for some of them if they didn't have steam achievements attached to them (like the whorl drowning one). I didn't unlock all the characters or their specific achievements though... You had to use a mouse even though you had a controller? What. That's really dumb. I played keyboard + trackpad so I didn't know how much of a shitshow the controller side was.

Yeah the spawn rate is an exercise in frustration, especially when you're on higher difficulties and like 3 or 4 bosses spawn within a minute. And I absolutely hate that there was no quit and resume option, too. I closed the lid of my laptop to let my computer sleep while I was having a good run, come back an hour later, and see the whole program shut down inexplicably. Seriously the worst.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Deitus, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key.
To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Deitus, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Divinity: Original Sin -- MB-B760BCC3E83674FC - Taken by PriitV. 80 entrants total.

t1407104673z1.png

chixdiggit

First one of these. Hope I did it right.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (chixdiggit, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Tribloos 2 -- MB-D27299A30A7FCC20 - Taken by Fox318. 1 entrants total.

t1407101856z1.png

maty

Just activated Spud's Quest key from indiegamestand and realized the game doesn't have achievements nor cards. Shame, all new releases should support that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom