• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
So I got to spend some time playing The Treausres of Montezuma 4 this afternoon. I can honestly say this is one of the best "match 3" games I've ever played. It's still on the Weeklong Deals sale for the next 18 hours for $1.74.

If you are even remotely interested in match-3 games, be sure to pick up The Treasures of Montezuma 4 while it's still on sale. $1.74 is a steal for this game.

That's actually exactly the type of game I've been itching to play for a while. Thanks for the recommendation.

i need 3 people for speed runners

I'll give it a try. Have very little time with the game, but I need to start sometime right?

iosefe

That's actually exactly the type of game I've been itching to play for a while. Thanks for the recommendation.

I'll give it a try. Have very little time with the game, but I need to start sometime right?
of course. better now than later

Egamer

Busy weekend, but Shadownet - although I'm quite new on here - best of luck! Everything's gonna be alright, as Bob Marley said.

For ontopic: played some Hitman 2: Silent Assassin the last days. Gosh, nostalgic at is best. Blood Money is one of my favourite games of all time, but never played the other Hitmans. Love it!

We had a room. It went swimmingly.

image.php

Shadownet

Banned
September is a great month for games, if you find anything you like to recommend give me a shout.

Hey ORANGE, I know its super early. But could I possibly reserve a spot for October? I'd love to write a section for Shadow of Mordor. Do I have to message you privately for that?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Otherside of Life. Part 2 is waaay too long.

SH1 campaign seems pretty long too (it's like 11 parts I think), but I still haven't beat it.

Otherside of Life I would say push to complete, all I'll say is that it's back-end is pretty cool.

Both Silent Hill campaigns are good in my opinion, but long. The SH1 campaign is SH1 in L4D2, and is composed of 11 maps, a few of them being pretty lengthy/confusing what to do if you haven't played SH1 before.

Jawmuncher

Konami, and another bet is because the developers of Downpour went under not too long after its release. A shame, while a lot of people think Downpour is the worst game in the series, I think it's extremely underrated, and actually had a good amount of fun playing it. It's also probably the closest thing consoles got last generation to an old-school horror game.

But probably Konami being Konami as said, the engine ports fairly easily to PC.

?

I didn't know they had gone under. Shame since I liked downpour a lot when I played it on 360. Man a stealth release of the SH games during the Halloween sale would be the best thing ever.

Dusk Golem

I didn't know they had gone under. Shame since I liked downpour a lot when I played it on 360. Man a stealth release of the SH games during the Halloween sale would be the best thing ever.

I really want it to be a thing too, you have no idea how many copies of the Silent Hill games I'd buy for gifting reason if they came to Steam for a half-decent price, but because Konami, I fear this may never come to prosper. Which is stupid, as Silent Hill 2, 3, and 4 already have PC ports, Silent Hill 1 wouldn't be super difficult to emulate, Silent Hill Origins and Shattered Memories were made on engines that were easy to port to multiple platforms, and Downpour was made in Unreal which is fairly simple to port to PC.

If anything Homecoming would of been the hardest game to bring to Steam, but for some reason that's the only one Steam has.

I'm sure fans would buy the games on Stem, and people who had never played the series but were curious too it may as well, and if the PC versions were half-way decent people would be interested and at least sell moderately well, just... Gah. Konami frustrates me sometimes.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Konami, and another bet is because the developers of Downpour went under not too long after its release. A shame, while a lot of people think Downpour is the worst game in the series, I think it's extremely underrated, and actually had a good amount of fun playing it. It's also probably the closest thing consoles got last generation to an old-school horror game.

But probably Konami being Konami as said, the engine ports fairly easily to PC.

I think Downpour is a somewhat disappointing game that had a lot of wasted potential, though I would buy it if it somehow managed to come to PC. I feel like one of the more disappointing things about the game, the rain itself, could have been so much better on PC, honestly. It never really felt like Murphy was actually in a downpour. It was more of a drizzle, if anything. The fog was great though.

Most of the monster designs are pretty bland and uninspired. You've got a guy in heavy coat with a gas mask, a sex doll that can project shadows, a prisoner with a messed up face, a prisoner with a metal apparatus on its face, a woman that screams, and some grey human thing. In Downpour's version of the Otherworld, you've got a mangled flesh thing in a metal cage, a mangled flesh thing on a wall that can shoot blood from its stomach at you, and a red void. And that's really it. Some of them are kind of okay designs, but most are just dull and boring. Oh, and there's that cool face with a monocle in the Devil's Pit that you for all of five seconds.

Story wise, it's okay. I enjoyed it more than a few of the other more recent Silent Hill games. Some characters feel like they could have been more fleshed out, like DJ Ricks, but the characters aren't too bad. The sidequests were basically pointless unless you wanted to learn more about the world of Silent Hill. One area in one of the sidequests, the Sewer Labyrinth, turned out to be one of the better areas of the game to me. Everything feels dark and oppressive, the hallways are narrow so the monsters actually pose a bit of a threat, navigating is somewhat difficult, the sound design with the heart beating in the background is a bit unsettling. It feels like something that belongs in a horror game. A lot of the side areas feel like that, and it's a shame that they were keep as side areas instead of being part of the main focus of the game. The main reason they're rendered pointless is because of the multiple points in the game where you lose all of your inventory.

The Otherworld is handled okay, but the chase segments with the void are a bit overdone and the weird slide sections make it feel like the Otherworld has turned into a themepark. I don't really like the final section of the game, the Otherworld version of the prison, though. It felt rushed and lazy at points, specifically during one segment where Murphy has to ride an elevator down. You're given so many shotgun ammunition during this segment that it practically feels like the devs are saying "sorry the combat kind of sucks, here's something to make it a little easier." The second to last boss fight against the wheel chair stricken Otherworld version of a certain character didn't really sit well with me. I don't know how to describe why I didn't like it other than I just didn't like it. The final boss fight was way worse though. It felt like a moment that you were supposed to be excited about when it's revealed exactly what you're controlling during it, but the controls felt sloppy and everything about the fight could have been executed better.

The saving system is flat out garbage though. The inventory and health screen could have been handled much better too. The soundtrack is pretty decent, and by that I mean the background music, not the main theme. Daniel Licht did a really good job with it, I was surprised by how good it mostly was.

No idea why I spent so much time typing this up, but yeah :p

Homecoming is still the worst SH that I've played, though I didn't play the PC version so maybe it's better than the console version.

saunderez

September is a great month for games, if you find anything you like to recommend give me a shout.

Updated,:

I'll put in Wasteland 2 since it's been shifted to September now. I've been trying to avoid it because I want to get into it once the complete game has come out but what I've played of the beta so far I've enjoyed. Will send you a PM when I've gathered my thoughts.

rtcn63

Downpour wasn't terrible. It had some nice areas and took a few steps into Silent Hill open world with the free-ish roam later on plus side missions, but the Uncharted influences were for the worse- lack of a "real" inventory, being forced to lose your weapons when the game demands it, the horrendous SyFy c-movie plot and characters, and jeebus, the Disney-reject enemies that look like they belong in the Mark of Kri or something. I know many people hated Homecoming for the focus on combat and asinine story, but Downpour did more things wrong IMO.

MRORANGE

Hey ORANGE, I know its super early. But could I possibly reserve a spot for October? I'd love to write a section for Shadow of Mordor. Do I have to message you privately for that?

Yup that's fine :) just remind me agin at the start of September with a pm of what you've written for the game

I'll put in Wasteland 2 since it's been shifted to September now. I've been trying to avoid it because I want to get into it once the complete game has come out but what I've played of the beta so far I've enjoyed. Will send you a PM when I've gathered my thoughts.

Sure I will list you down for Wasteland 2

Yup that's fine :) just remind me agin at the start of September with a pm of what you've written for the game

Sure I will list you down for Wasteland 2

Strangely enough, the console release for Mordor is now 9/30 and the Steam release is 10/2. Not sure if that technicality would qualify Mordor for September or October (since 75% of platforms will see it launch on 9/30).

chronomac

Who else here has beaten Transistor?
I really liked the game - especially the style and music, like everyone else - but I'll be damned if the last boss's voice isn't aggressively annoying. I felt the last hour dragged and a lot of it has to do with Royce's boring ass. It doesn't ruin the game but it left a bad taste in my mouth, especially the way that last fight goes down. The game teaches you how to play a certain way, only changing that formula slightly at times (like when your vision is clouded when planning), but then at the end it all changes. Royce getting to plan his moves makes logical sense, because he has his own Transistor, but it didn't really jive mechanically. Thankfully I didn't have a lot of trouble with him and beat him on the first try. Regardless, I'm never a fan of that idea.

Tizoc

So I got to spend some time playing The Treausres of Montezuma 4 this afternoon. I can honestly say this is one of the best "match 3" games I've ever played. It's still on the Weeklong Deals sale for the next 18 hours for $1.74.

The game starts out like your standard "match 3" - match as many gems as you can, as fast as you can, to score high enough to move on to the next area. You'll soon start to notice a bit of a difference though - as each level has a time limit to get either gold, silver, or bronze on the level. At the end of the level, depending on how well you did, you gain experience points and gold. Gold can be used to purchase permanent upgrades in the in-game shop.

A unique spin on the genre comes from the "totems" that you can unlock in the shop. By matching that totem's color twice in a row, it does something special. For example, the red totem uses fireballs to eliminate random gems, the blue totem has an electricity move, the orange totem adds more time, etc. You can even "level up" these totems by purchasing the upgrades in the shop. Upgrading a totem increases their potency - like upgrading the red totem makes them go from destroying 6 gems to 10.

There are also multiple game types. The majority are like "Bejeweled" but there are also puzzle levels that are unique: some are like Jewel Quest where you have to clear a gem in each square of the board. There's another type of level where you have to capture these frogs that jump around from gem to gem. Another puzzle mode has you "clearing" a path for a river to reach a flower. Overall I think it's a good variety for a game like this.

I feel like the game has a good feeling of becoming more powerful as you move forward. I imagine by the end of the story mode you'll be able to completely dominate the gem board and get some really awesome combos.

If you are even remotely interested in match-3 games, be sure to pick up The Treasures of Montezuma 4 while it's still on sale. $1.74 is a steal for this game.

I got this game for my Vita since it was free, one day I sat down and was hooked to it. Got it on iPhone too and got hooked to hat ver. too XD.
Montezuma's rpetty fun and addicting, so def. pick it up if you're a match 3 fan.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Downpour wasn't terrible. It had some nice areas and took a few steps into Silent Hill open world with the free-ish roam later on plus side missions, but the Uncharted influences were for the worse- lack of a "real" inventory, being forced to lose your weapons when the game demands it, the horrendous SyFy c-movie plot and characters, and jeebus, the Disney-reject enemies that look like they belong in the Mark of Kri or something. I know many people hated Homecoming for the focus on combat and asinine story, but Downpour did more things wrong IMO.

Homecoming's combat is so bad. All you really need is the knife and the shotgun for combat sequences. The knife is so overpowered that it becomes the best weapon in the entire game thanks to stun locking enemies. Plus the entire justification for the combat turns out to be completely false. Downpour's reasoning for including a character decent at combat is better than that.

I like HC's story less because you can easily see a lot of the blatant influences for it, such as Jacob's Ladder and the game's opening hospital scene (and somewhat in the potential hospital ending). I mean, the older games have some easily visible influences as well, but it still felt unique. Homecoming really didn't to me.

It does have a few boss designs that are sort of interesting, like Asphyxia, Amnion, and Scarlet. Pyramid Head shouldn't have been in the game at all though.

xeris

To whoever takes this, your character only jumps/rolls between two different points, and there's no "analog" movement, fyi.

It seemed really decent from what I played, but that definitely threw me off as I was expecting something different.

Yeah, it's fun as far as I've gotten, but I expected to go up and down at least a little bit. Looking like one of those games you play when you wanna kill things for a few minutes but don't totally want to get sucked into something.

Kifimbo

Played one hour of Residue: Final Cut, which I won this morning. Sadly, my experience so far is not great. Story is kinda intriguing, but the writing is average at best and the voices...huh. Art style is ok I guess, however the framerate often drops for no reason at all (seems to happen mostly with indoor locations). Biggest problem is the gameplay. It's pretty bad. So far, with one character, you just walk (left and right) and use a flashlight in a clumsy way. Another character is jumping and "swimming". And the last playable character can't jump (!) and can only use a hook to move around. The physics are all wrong. Basically, it's an exploration game where the exploration part is tedious.

Shadownet

Banned
I just opened up my first CSGO case. Gotta resist the temptation to follow the path of Paul. It's a dangerous path.

Might be better off buying the weapons I want on the market. Luckily, I kinda find most of the higher tiers camos to be quite ugly.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
seems Naruto sold well on PC, enough to warrant another PC release (hopefully day and date with the console version)

Was Tekken 7 confirmed anyware besides those sites nobody ever heard about?

Dusk Golem

I think Downpour is a somewhat disappointing game that had a lot of wasted potential, though I would buy it if it somehow managed to come to PC. I feel like one of the more disappointing things about the game, the rain itself, could have been so much better on PC, honestly. It never really felt like Murphy was actually in a downpour. It was more of a drizzle, if anything. The fog was great though.

Most of the monster designs are pretty bland and uninspired. You've got a guy in heavy coat with a gas mask, a sex doll that can project shadows, a prisoner with a messed up face, a prisoner with a metal apparatus on its face, a woman that screams, and some grey human thing. In Downpour's version of the Otherworld, you've got a mangled flesh thing in a metal cage, a mangled flesh thing on a wall that can shoot blood from its stomach at you, and a red void. And that's really it. Some of them are kind of okay designs, but most are just dull and boring. Oh, and there's that cool face with a monocle in the Devil's Pit that you for all of five seconds.

Story wise, it's okay. I enjoyed it more than a few of the other more recent Silent Hill games. Some characters feel like they could have been more fleshed out, like DJ Ricks, but the characters aren't too bad. The sidequests were basically pointless unless you wanted to learn more about the world of Silent Hill. One area in one of the sidequests, the Sewer Labyrinth, turned out to be one of the better areas of the game to me. Everything feels dark and oppressive, the hallways are narrow so the monsters actually pose a bit of a threat, navigating is somewhat difficult, the sound design with the heart beating in the background is a bit unsettling. It feels like something that belongs in a horror game. A lot of the side areas feel like that, and it's a shame that they were keep as side areas instead of being part of the main focus of the game. The main reason they're rendered pointless is because of the multiple points in the game where you lose all of your inventory.

The Otherworld is handled okay, but the chase segments with the void are a bit overdone and the weird slide sections make it feel like the Otherworld has turned into a themepark. I don't really like the final section of the game, the Otherworld version of the prison, though. It felt rushed and lazy at points, specifically during one segment where Murphy has to ride an elevator down. You're given so many shotgun ammunition during this segment that it practically feels like the devs are saying "sorry the combat kind of sucks, here's something to make it a little easier." The second to last boss fight against the wheel chair stricken Otherworld version of a certain character didn't really sit well with me. I don't know how to describe why I didn't like it other than I just didn't like it. The final boss fight was way worse though. It felt like a moment that you were supposed to be excited about when it's revealed exactly what you're controlling during it, but the controls felt sloppy and everything about the fight could have been executed better.

The saving system is flat out garbage though. The inventory and health screen could have been handled much better too. The soundtrack is pretty decent, and by that I mean the background music, not the main theme. Daniel Licht did a really good job with it, I was surprised by how good it mostly was.

No idea why I spent so much time typing this up, but yeah :p

Homecoming is still the worst SH that I've played, though I didn't play the PC version so maybe it's better than the console version.

And I don't disagree with you on many of the points. Enemy designs are the worst of the series, the story is only okay, there are missed opportunities and feel more like roller-coaster rides than anything. 'Combat' is very eh. And some technical problems that are a tad annoying. Daniel Licht's soundtrack is not bad and works well with the game, but doesn't have that listen-to-outside-of-game-context element the rest of the series does.

However, maybe just elements of Downpour were geared towards me. I enjoyed the way areas were designed and progressed. The mines the first time playing did unsettle me in a few places and liked the way darkness worked there, and a few things people could miss like all the plaques you can read or a scare involving one of those miner mannequins if you look at it in the room before the first Weeping Bat. I enjoyed the sort of twisting rooms of the Radio Tower. The horror movie references and atmosphere the Orphanage emitted. The Prison was the worst location, but it had some enjoyable elements and moments still.

Exploring the town was enticing for me, I personally feel the game had the best overworld segments in the series. I did enjoy looking around a street and finding some open building that I can explore. The side-quest weren't rewarding in what they gave you but I found mysterious and intriguing to delve into. Some of the best creepy moments happened in these parts, and most were interesting to me. Some of the puzzles were fun for me and I appreciate them at least attempting puzzles rather than a lot of horror games these days. Littered with a few moments that stick out in my mind, and scenes that were fun in their execution and to play.

It's not the best in the series, but it's treated by so many like it's some terrible scum and hollow shell of what Silent Hill is and one of the worst horror games to be released in ages or something, which I don't agree with at all. I had plenty of fun playing it, even if not my favorite entry in the series and it often doesn't feel like a SH game, but as a horror game I had a good time with it.

Oublieux

I just opened up my first CSGO case. Gotta resist the temptation to follow the path of Paul. It's a dangerous path.

Might be better off buying the weapons I want on the market. Luckily, I kinda find most of the higher tiers camos to be quite ugly.

:O Be careful. I heard it can be like a rabbit hole, haha.

Deitus

I just need one Naruto adventure game. Not another fighting game.

Well the Ubisoft games were pretty much adventure games, but the combat system was purely fighting game mechanics.

Edit: Well not a point and click adventure, but I assumed that's not what you meant.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I just need one Naruto adventure game. Not another fighting game.

Well the Ubisoft games were pretty much adventure games, but the combat system was purely fighting game mechanics.

Edit: Well not a point and click adventure, but I assumed that's not what you meant.

speaking of which - I REALLY wish they'd release Broken Bond on PC ... that was such an awesome game

Sammichu

Have at it

ModBot said:
Instructions for Sammichu:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 0 Steam keys and 3 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

ulgzbKC.png
(Desura) Dreaming sarah -- MB-F3AB7938995D68A1 - Taken by crazyrabbits
ulgzbKC.png
(Desura) Railyard match 3 Evolved -- MB-2BDDA09EB160121A - Taken by cardinalmind
ulgzbKC.png
(Desura) Battlepaths -- MB-CCBF5EA6D57D1792 - Taken by Kuroyume

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for (Desura) Dreaming sarah was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for (Desura) Railyard match 3 Evolved was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for (Desura) Battlepaths was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

Shadownet

Banned
:O Be careful. I heard it can be like a rabbit hole, haha.

Most of the high tiers weapons camos are overdesigned really. I rather get a simple looking ones like this.
s47.png

Instead of this.
s114.png

I think when people say adventure games, we just automatically think of TellTale point and click adventure :p when in reality I meant like an open world Skyrim Naruto experience

I think when people say adventure games, we just automatically think of TellTale point and click adventure :p when in reality I meant like an open world Skyrim Naruto experience

"Adventure game" seems like one of the worst genre names you could have. I'd imagine 90% of games have you go on some sort of adventure.

Juice

My brother wants Left 4 Dead 2 on PC, but it seems ridiculous paying $20 because of how often it's been on heavy discount. Anyone know of a way to get it cheaper? Anyone have one to trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom