• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi good guys from the Steam thread!
The problems of living in a country with slow download speeds coupled with small bandwidth caps is undermining my ability to download games from my Steam collection. I don't want to be a jackass and not play something I've entered so I'm planning to compromise. I'll rent a dvd just to install the game then "install" the game on Steam. I'll just point the install to the installation folder and hopefully the patches are not that big. That's one of the reasons I'm not that keen on getting new games as their frequent patches and huge download sizes would take me days just to play it. So no Wolf'14 for me in the immediate future.

Just for example a 15gb game download will take me three to four days of downloading / pausing it since I share the internet connection with my family. I've encountered a game that I've already downloaded 3/4ths of the game then the download got corrupted / a patch was out so that was really irritating.

Will my plan work? Or I really have to download everything from Steam?

MTE

The problems of living in a country with slow download speeds coupled with small bandwidth caps is undermining my ability to download games from my Steam collection. I don't want to be a jackass and not play something I've entered so I'm planning to compromise. I'll rent a dvd just to install the game then "install" the game on Steam. I'll just point the install to the installation folder and hopefully the patches are not that big. That's one of the reasons I'm not that keen on getting new games as their frequent patches and huge download sizes would take me days just to play it. So no Wolf'14 for me in the immediate future.

Just for example a 15gb game download will take me three to four days of downloading / pausing it since I share the internet connection with my family. I've encountered a game that I've already downloaded 3/4ths of the game then the download got corrupted / a patch was out so that was really irritating.

From my experience in the last few days, moving games (admittedly steam games) from one PC to another, Steam should discover the files, if they're put in the right place.
If you start the Steam install, then cancel, you will see the file structure.
"Delete local content" of the game, move in the files, and Steam should discover them, and only download what it needs.
This is my experience with it, anyway.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I don't even understand what he means

TF2 Keys (Mann Co. Supply Crate Keys) are a tradable commodity used to open in-game item crates in Valve's Team Fortress 2. Since the keys are purchasable directly from Valve at a fixed price, or from other users at a variable price, they are also used as a safer substitution for direct payment via paypal or other digital wallets when purchasing gift copies of Steam games.

0.5 keys = 4 refined metal // 2 Tour of Duty Ticket

This is more interesting. A Tour of Duty Ticket is worth $1.00 not $2.00, which is the average price of TF2 keys from third party sellers. I would find a seller who isn't being exploitative.

Deitus

I couldn't say for sure, but presumably as long the the files aren't organized differently on the DVD version versus the Steam version it should work.

But you can rent PC games in your country? The only PC "rentals" I've ever seen are digital download services.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
.5 keys is 1 tour of duty not two, at least from all the traders Ive dealt with (which werent many to be fair I mostly deal with liez)

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
.5 keys is 1 tour of duty not two, at least from all the traders Ive dealt with (which werent many to be fair I mostly deal with liez)

Yes, the going rate is: 1 Tour of Duty = 0.5 keys.

It's all based on average price.

1 TF2 key = ~$2.00
1 Tour of Duty ticket= ~$1.00

From my experience in the last few days, moving games (admittedly steam games) from one PC to another, Steam should discover the files, if they're put in the right place.
If you start the Steam install, then cancel, you will see the file structure.
"Delete local content" of the game, move in the files, and Steam should discover them, and only download what it needs.
This is my experience with it, anyway.
So I'll have to move it to the folder that Steam created?
But you can rent PC games in your country? The only PC "rentals" I've ever seen are digital download services.
There is no store that you can rent the games from as is. But there are few business minded individuals here that you can rent games from. I'm friends with one of them so I can go on this option.

Dingotech

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
1eGKntN.gif

I'be been staring at this for far too long. I have issues.

Riposting

ModBot said:
Instructions for PetriP-TNT:

Thief Gold -- MB-AA8BE734A74C0541 - Taken by hepburn3d
Hitman : Blood Money -- MB-B626D3F766B3734B - Taken by anastef

It's a great game. Or maybe a +1 for your secondary shame account for Waifu games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So I'll have to move it to the folder that Steam created?

There is no store that you can rent the games from as is. But there are few business minded individuals here that you can rent games from. I'm friends with one of them so I can go on this option.

Are you talking about using data from a cracked copy to use with Steam? This should work (I've done it myself a few times as a sort of de facto pre-load because I didn't want to spend release day downloading), but it's not entirely reliable due to the nature of cracking (i.e. any files that fail Steam's verification check will be redownloaded).

Shadownet

Banned
A very obvious straight cut, like they get close and suddenly they are a meter apart.

Wow that's bad. I expect better censoring from Dreamwork. I would have accepted the grab and turn.
-----

Hey GAF any of the Xbox One exclusives are coming to PC? Beside Dead Rising 3?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Only kissing/sex scenes. Are there any kissing scenes?

Heck, they censored the kissing scenes in How to train your Dragon 2 too.

If it follows the typical American Blockbuster...in a picturesque ending after the clean cut, attractive, and youthful male saves the day but right before a final funny quip or heartwarming occurrence prior to the end credits.

I can't tolerate most modern movies.

Wow that's bad. I expect better censoring from Dreamwork. I would have accepted the grab and turn.
-----

Depends on multiple factors. Mostly involving Crytek's ability to stave off insolvency.

Edit: Meant Ryse sequels.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Sort this list by exclusivity; everything listed as "console" exclusive is coming to the PC, as too is everything listed as a "Microsoft" exclusive, save for Zoo Tycoon, Forza Horizon 2, Fantasia and Totem.

I firmly believe the Master Chief Collection will be announced for the PC within a year of its X1 debut. I just hope they're separate apps on Steam rather than one "master app" with a handful of launch options.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I firmly believe the Master Chief Collection will be announced for the PC within a year of its X1 debut. I just hope they're separate apps on Steam rather than one "master app" with a handful of launch options.

you really want all those +1s, don't you? ;)

They'll do that the day they announce both versions of Horizon 2 coming to PC. :p

Shadownet

Banned
Don't ever try playing CS:GO with a 900 ping.

lol

I killed a guy once when I was around 600 ping. I told him he should be embarrassed :p

Sort this list by exclusivity; everything listed as "console" exclusive is coming to the PC, as too is everything listed as a "Microsoft" exclusive, save for Zoo Tycoon, Forza Horizon 2, Fantasia and Totem.

Thanks JaseC! If Halo 3 come to Steam, I would be so happy. Day 1 for me.

Teeth

They've got Cuphead listed as a Microsoft platform exclusive....that's errrrr....not correct.

Nice, do you know how the game deals with time signature/speed changes in songs?

Couldn't say -- but you can put it so that the beat input is 2x or 1/2x of the normal beat.
I ended up doing this cause the 50 cent track I put on 1-2 had a bunch of talking on the beginning with no beat, so I thought "speed it up". :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom