• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zarx

Decided to go through my Hunblebundles to check for unredeemed codes. Someone might as well use them.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 18 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Zarx, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Cthulhu Saves the World -- MB-6A6DAED426FBF7E9 - Taken by NightmareTrigger. 1 entrants total.
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY -- MB-4F0E228062C71E1A - Taken by Henry Swanson. 2 entrants total.
Oil Rush -- MB-6C87C8EB09E5B212
Scribblenauts Unlimited -- MB-9CD1A4BC7C295103 - Taken by rainking187. 2 entrants total.
The Last Remnant -- MB-623CCF4860664CC4 - Taken by Gianni Merryman. 4 entrants total.
Lone Survivor -- MB-78F09F72125CE826 - Taken by Yrael. 3 entrants total.
Sanctum 2 -- MB-E76D76E46B171690 - Taken by CrunchyFrog. 1 entrants total.
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-4E940E70EF6F1E65 - Taken by celsowmbr. 1 entrants total.
Dustforce -- MB-710B59C25A2E98F2 - Taken by 73V3N. 6 entrants total.
Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days -- MB-124283C43B005DE3 - Taken by redlacs. 8 entrants total.
Cortex Command -- MB-8B2FC6062EE2FDBC - Taken by darkchewie. 1 entrants total.
Sanctum: Collection -- MB-9D703C07530C95A0 - Taken by MTE. 1 entrants total.
Offspring Fling -- MB-CC7D6E5F1CB69ABD - Taken by TheMadMan007. 1 entrants total.
VVVVVV -- MB-F0A2DF97523A2781 - Taken by shackdaddy836. 1 entrants total.
Cave Story Plus -- MB-4BD5E30FA30ABDC7 - Taken by Dusk Golem. 1 entrants total.
Garry's Mod -- MB-BD9AE500ACC04FF2 - Taken by wagamer. 6 entrants total.
Just Cause 2 -- MB-10C5B8082437B7BA - Taken by Vazduh. 3 entrants total.
LIMBO -- MB-30E10B3AE7960D54 - Taken by City 17. 1 entrants total.

t1407145177z1.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Couldn't say -- but you can put it so that the beat input is 2x or 1/2x of the normal beat.
I ended up doing this cause the 50 cent track I put on 1-2 had a bunch of talking on the beginning with no beat, so I thought "speed it up". :p

Earlier in the year I dreamt that I was trying convince 50 Cent to bankroll a Steam release of Blood on the Sand. Sadly I don't think it panned out. :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Seems that I won't be able to play Dead Rising 3 :/

x5p3Epn.png

http://steamdb.info/sub/34736/

Yeah, that situation is ongoing. Capcom's Steam Community guy said he'd look into it, so I'd expect something this week. I've stressed the point that the game was region-free for about a month-and-a-half and so Capcom should do what Ubi did and make replacement subs, if it insists upon region-locking the game.

Benedict

Looks like Little Big Adventure will be in the next Groupees Bundle. I guess that means the android version or GOG. It's not on Steam right?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Only kissing/sex scenes. Are there any kissing scenes?

Heck, they censored the kissing scenes in How to train your Dragon 2 too.

Would you be imprisoned if your government saw your desktop?

Ozium

new daily
new weeklies
new groupees bundle
new indiegala monday bundle
new humble on tue
new humble weekly on thur

hang on to your wallets

MTE

new daily
new weeklies
new groupees bundle
new indiegala monday bundle
new humble on tue
new humble weekly on thur

hang on to your wallets

Such cognitive dissonance: I want it to be good games, so I can buy good games. I want it to be bad games, so I can keep my wallet closed >_<

hepburn3d

Just curious if anyone uses steam in Big Picture Mode on their TV and primarily uses a controller?

Do you you use a controller emulator for non controller supported games? How do you get on with this?

I use Pinnacle Profiler, works great in some ways. I have to have Pinnacle as a Game on my list, launch the profiler then from the profiler launch the games using a controller. I'd prefer to launch the games and pinnacle boots in the background but I haven't figured this out. Annoyingly if you boot on start up Pinnacle it launches after steam and you cant access steam without moving a mouse to bring it to the front. This is windows 8.

I'm happy with my set up just curious how others have made their TV Steams work

Just curious if anyone uses steam in Big Picture Mode on their TV and primarily uses a controller?

Do you you use a controller emulator for non controller supported games? How do you get on with this?

I use Pinnacle Profiler, works great in some ways. I have to have Pinnacle as a Game on my list, launch the profiler then from the profiler launch the games using a controller. I'd prefer to launch the games and pinnacle boots in the background but I haven't figured this out. Annoyingly if you boot on start up Pinnacle it launches after steam and you cant access steam without moving a mouse to bring it to the front. This is windows 8.

I use a wireless keyboard and mouse to control things until I get in game. Then I use my gamepad.

I hate BPM with a passion. I wish valve would let us disable the monstrosity.

_hekk05

Banned

In theory, with a DS4, you can operate your mouse with the touchpad. All you have to do is set a task scheduler to run DS4Tool on startup.

saunderez

Couldn't you create a batch file that launches Pinnacle and then Steam. Remove both from Startup folder, add batch file?

hepburn3d

In theory, with a DS4, you can operate your mouse with the touchpad. All you have to do is set a task scheduler to run DS4Tool on startup.

Now that is a cool idea! hmmmmmm will give that a go. I've already wasted money on a 360 chat pad thinking I could get that working. Maybe it's time I tried something else

Couldn't you create a batch file that launches Pinnacle and then Steam. Remove both from Startup folder, add batch file?

This is something I'm considering. Will try this later to. Weirdly Steam started up a lot quicker when I had Windows 7 installed. I say "weirdly", that's probably not weird at all

saunderez

This is something I'm considering. Will try this later to. Weirdly Steam started up a lot quicker when I had Windows 7 installed. I say "weirdly", that's probably not weird at all
You'll need to use the start function to do this properly otherwise the 2nd process will wait for the 1st process to execute. This is how you'd do it.

rem Notepad
cd %windir%\system32
start notepad.exe
rem Calculator
cd %windir%\system32
start calc.exe

You might want to put a pause in between the 2 apps to give the first one a chance to start completely, from what I can tell the timeout function should work for that (Below example pauses for 10 seconds).

timeout /t 10

This should solve your problem, but no guarantees because I hate Windows 8 and it will probably defy me just to piss me off.

Tizoc

Surely there are a few that don't have either game...
ModBot 2 said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tizoc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Hitman: Code 47 -- MB-37DAC8A0191F5F37 - Taken by hepburn3d. 1 entrants total.
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin -- MB-450A6395822AD965 - Taken by aurelioking. 1 entrants total.

Volimar

Trying to get through mafia 2. I enjoyed it a bit at first, but now I find it painfully slow and incredibly predictable. The combat isn't very fun, and it seems to really really want to be grand theft auto.

Also, fuck red lights.

Tizoc

Freedom Planet got an update, most likely it's a rebalncing of bosses since at least the FINAL boss on Normal could rip off half your health points with an attack XD
Course if you don't rush it and learn the pattern you can avoid it 90% of the time.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Is there a genre that hasn't gotten the roguelike treatment yet?

Actual roguelike or the things people call roguelikes such as Spelunky with the randomisation and permanent death? The later most everything except a racing (F1 with crashes, that would be something) and first person puzzle (unless I've missed a Portal 2 mod) games.
I really wish someone would take the idea Spartacus Legends had and make an interesting game out of it. Oh well.

The former on the other hand, well it's rather hard to do a top-down tile grid, turn based dungeon crawler in any other genre. I guess the Puzzle Kingdom would work, but that would just put too much on it and take away the charm of either side I think, likewise forced platforming a la suddenly 2D side scroller platforming in Zelda.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Hey! Quit bitin' my style!
Sorry!
Guess I should've said "tips hardhat" :p

X05, I say this everytime, but I love you and your super posts! What's the most quotes you've ever done in a post?
<3
Either this one, or the one before that one I think, I do recall a really long one a couple of months ago but can't tell if it was actually longer.

This month on SteamGaf! Starring X05
Given the rate of posting is more like "Today on SteamGAF" :(

Hope you like this one :p

These always give me a warm fuzzy feeling ;)
The actual reward of doing these things :D

And when the time you want to play more demanding comes, you would wish you've gotten a better laptop, I've been there before.

It's nice to have a recap :p
Eh, if you get a non-shit one it hardly happens, I mean the one I had before my current one lasted 4 years of gaming, and it was pretty much a mid tier machine. The one I have now is 2 years old and wasn't the top of the line either (because Quadros are fucking expensive) and I guess the first game that'll give me trouble is DR3... *maybe*.

Also, :D

Come play with us.
Sorry, too busy quoting posts and writing witty retorts :p

It's the kind of ham i'd put on a sandwich though. I guess just seeing them as npc's in a medicore game kinda makes me feel a certain type of way.
Aha, I get what you mean now, I agree on that.

He'll reply to you tomorrow in his daily massive post. Don't miss it!
About 24 hours later still counts right?

It's the best idea :p

Yes.
We'll see about that.
And that totally should be the tagline.

On an unrelated note, finally finished Braid today. Excellent game, but i'll never try that Speedrun achievement, screw that. some puzzles are somewhat luck based, so no. Has Jonathan Blow reveal what exactly the plot was about, in the end?
Responded already, but
you aren't the hero, but a creepy stalker.

no, like

you go to the quest board

and there are like tons of quests with different time limits and difficulties. two such difficulties are "low" and "easy". which sound to me like pretty a bad way of ranking lol
I'll go for "Low" being harder than "Easy"... I think.

They could try and arrange a monthly schedule for those or something.
It's a slippery slope, because that'd mean a special treatment for Valve... and why does Valve get that and not EA? Or Activision?

Guys, I need help choosing a good and short game (< 5 Hrs) to play before my vacation, here is my game list:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197996508504/games?tab=all

Any Suggestions?
Real late obviously, but the non indie and great game that is short on your list is Mirror¿s Edge. Try to go through it when you get the chance :)

TF2 wouldn't run on the PS360 in its current state (supposedly), and patch certification isn't free (edit: unless you're an indie dev), however there's an argument to be made that Valve should at least patch the console versions of GO once to see if the support would spur enough renewed interest to make future patches viable.
I don't even know if the PS360 versions have the arms deal update. or any of the post-launch maps.
I don't think the console versions have been patched at all, and for whatever reason it's clear at this point that game is never going to be available on PSN EU. I'm inclined to think that the issue there is on Sony's side as GO is available worldwide on XBLA and Steam.

Edit: If memory serves, there are no patch certification costs for the PS4 and X1 (although I believe any updates still need to be briefly tested by MS/Sony), so it'll be interesting to see how L4D3 fares.
I think TF2 on PS360 is a lost cause at this point, especially since it got none of the PC upgrades. CSGO hasn't changed *that* much since release, so I'm kinda surprised how Valve has left it to rot on there... Also agree that L4D3 will be the true test on how Valve will approach the new consoles.

Yes. There's no such thing as a 60fps Source game on consoles. ;)
For the longest time I thought that Portal did, but since I actually never saw it I never truly knew.

Or is that top helmet? We should just call them Salsa Hats!
Hah, I like that name XD

You shouldn't whine about lag until you are happy you got 150 ping.
This, can't tell you how happy I was the first time I got a ~180 ping to a NA server
which was promptly changed to sadness when I was decimated

(Off Topic)
The best of luck and all my positive energies and thoughts are with you. See you back tomorrow night :)

On to something a bit more on topic. Have anyone tried Marvel Heroes? The free to play game. How is it?
Rhaknar is the one you are looking for :p

I remember being disappointed in Resident Evil 2 when I killed the final boss with a single rocket. I'm assuming that Capcom had intended for the ammo to have been used before that point, but 10-year-old me had other plans.
Good to see that you had the collecting bug since forever!

hey here's the famous regenerator(s), great >_> any tips before I waste all my ammo on it?

edit: and im dead lol
Run like there is no tomorrow
(or use the thermal scope)

...almost 34,000 potatoes...
...and still almost have 45,000 potatoes...
These made me laugh more than they should have XD

man these Regenerators aint shit when you get the infra red scope!

also, do you even get poisoned at all in this game? the yellow herbs seem like a strange left over from RE 1-3 when you did get poison, but here I havent really seen a use for them
As long as you shoot the legs last, yes.

Also, you are getting confused with the Blue Herbs :p

My dear fellow GAFfers...!

How I miss you all, it's been almost a month since the last time I played a game on Steam and I really miss hanging around in here but things are harsh and time has not been kind.
;_;
I got an invite to NeoGAF Games Night and, of course, I accepted. To the very kind soul who had me in his/her memory, thank you very much.

Still have the last episode of The Wolf Among Us to play, the 4th one from The Walking Dead too and Abyss Odyssey to try, I need to catch up a lot. I have no idea how many bundles I missed in the last month or so, good ones or bad ones, haven't even checked those e-mails with notifications from them. As always you can always hit me up via PM if you ever need help with something or if you need to talk or just want to vent/rant/someone to talk to :)

I really, really miss you all. :(
It's great to have you back!! :D

It'd be less annoying than backseat modding.
At this time it's a coin toss, really.

For those looking to get on some SF4Ultra the upgrade (if you own arcade) or the full version if you own nothing is 25% off on GMG.

Was probably already posted but we need as many people as possible to get on SF4U when it comes out.

Use this voucher for 25% off during checkout for your discount:
WAT399-HZSWBT-IWXJWB

Ultra Street Fighter IV (Full): http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/ultra-street-fighter-iv/
Ultra Street Fighter IV (Upgrade): http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/ultra-street-fighter-iv-upgrade/
Quoting just more people see this and in case someone missed it.

You're the one started it, I hope you're happy now, the 100 page great war about shit posting has begun
I have been counting, luckily not that many :p

I'm with Mr. Orange on this. Steam threads have become unbearable for me. I want to read about Steam related stuff, not wade through a bunch of fluff about personal problems and "We miss you" posts. Shit like that is what the personal messages and off-topic forum is for.
Well, this is still a community so things like that are bound to happen. You could grow a heart in the mean time.

I can see both sides of the off topic/no off topic argument.

The off topic stuff keeps this thread active and alive. It wouldn't be as busy without it. However, sometimes it's more fun to just read about the games.

Outlawing off topic chat wouldn't be a good idea though. This is a community. 90% of the talk should be about games but if someone has some big personal news then I think sharing it is perfectly fine. It's all part of being a good community.
I agree with this.

All the RE4 talk from earlier is really making me want to jump in. But I also want to wait for the fan HD patch. Damn it.

Yellow herbs are not blue herbs.

:)
I'm in the same boat with RE4, I kinda want to play it now but that HD mod just looks so damn good I kinda want to wait for that before burning myself out with the game.
I'm with you guys, but honestly have played RE4 enough times that I can actually wait for that to be released and maybe can use that as an excuse to finally get through Revelaitons and 6.

Tizoc just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about SteamGaf culture (I'm an expert), but gaming talk and playing video games are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in AnimeGaf where you can become successful by posting about Waifus. If you post a single anime waifu image, you bring shame to yourself and the rest of steamgaf, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is steamgaf, after hearing about this, are going to make 3 pages of posts about how terrible off topic talks are, nor will they post about games ever again. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Tizoc has fucked up the entire thread with his move.

Tizoc, publicly apologize and post a giveaway or you can kiss this thread goodbye.
11/10, would read again.

No waifus
No alpacas
No off topic
Saoirse Only
Final Destination
I just imagined Salsa Romulan as character in SSB and now I want it to happen. Guess her is the first Mii I'll make for the game :p

I know you're kidding, but to address the point anyway, I very occasionally get a comment about my avatar, or someone occasionally makes some sort of JaseC = Saoirse joke, but that's about the extent of the Saoirse talk -- quiet honestly, I believe the notion that she's a prominent component of the Steam thread (e.g. one of Toma's rules in the indie Summer Sale thread was "No pictures of Irish actresses", which was just bizarre and suggests some sort of "us versus them" mentality) stems from me changing avatars so often and being one of the most prolific posters. I think the last time someone brought her up outside of the aforementioned contexts was when news broke that she auditioned for Star Wars, which was almost a year ago now.
It's a running gag at this point, let's not forget that once a lot of people had her as their avatar (like it happens with other other avatars like adding Snake or Salsa's hat or whatever) and the appreciation thread made by ClassyPenguin (may he RIP in peace). I'm pretty sure that Toma meant it as a joke too :p

Is there a way to uninstall a game and keep the saves/progress?
Use GameSaveManager to be sure, since some games have their savegames in ther data folder instead of using My Documents or something of the sort.

Yeah, I get that, but when the "Saoirse stuff" is used to slight the thread I can't help but scratch my head because it's so minute and infrequent (granted, though, it doesn't happen often -- if Toma's rule was intended as a light-hearted jab, then I apologise for the misunderstanding).
I'll add that you post too damn much, so it's not like Ms Romanov's face is minute and infrequent!
I'm just pulling your leg, keep posting as you do <3

Having too many games installed is starting to bug me, I think I need to start clearing the in-progress ones. Arkham Oranges Cold Cold Heart is 2-3 hours long it seems, maybe I'll do that first.
Thanks for reminding me that I started that DLC and never finished it, good excuse to recover some 30GB from the hard drive too :p

They really need to make all community market listings anonymous so that I don't have to deal with this crap all day.

in1WGngeEFQeg.png
Pussy Destroyer looks like a keeper though!

It's this picture, around Dublin airport in a few places as part of some advert.

saoirse_thumb.jpg
Well, she's Irish, makes sense to see her there :p

(quote wall)
*brofist*

Anyone have any clue what that..."human" with the medal is on Groupees Be Mine Bundle is?
That's Twinsen!!

Twinsen... but the games aren't on Steam. I wonder if this is a sign that series is finally moving beyond GOG -- buy them now to get them when they launch. When I was a kid I wanted the sequel, but when my parents went to buy it, it was no longer in stock. I think I opted for Abe's Oddysee instead.
Man, I played both games so much as a kid, kinda want to replay them but I'm afraid they won't hold up to my memory of them :(

Se... Third best jRPG currently available on Steam
FF8 and TLR in case you're wondering
I like the way you think.

interesting you'd put 8 over 7

i like both games but 8 had too much story nonsense in it for me and characters weren't my favorites ('cept laguna!).

both games are great tho

and much better than the last remnant, cmon dude
VII is definitely worse than TLR.

i have no idea what you're talking about but i wouldn't say either ff8 or 7 have complex systems
VII isn't, but VIII truly is, you can tackle the game in several different ways and all of them change the way the game plays and feels completely.

Yeah FF8 had alot of complex systems... but much like FF5, those systems led to easy ways to break the game early on. FF8, despite me really loving the complexity of the GF and junction system, I just couldn't get over having to mash square during each summon while having to watch the full animation each time.
I don't think it's "breaking" the game if the tools to do so are provided and encouraged by the game itself.
Also using GFs to attack is boring, Eden's animation is like 2 minutes long D:

One down, six to go.

fm2013akvukj.jpg
Congrats!!
I can sense a trip to Korea in your future :p

evo 2015 champion here we go

please don't play wth a keyboard oh god
Arcade stick > keyboard > controller

Now try it with a DDR mat.
Fun story, I tried this once with MvC2 on the DC. Turns out the mat is only useful for DDR and Space Channel 5.

Silent Hill Revelations is crappy but I guess at least visually interesting and bad in a way it's so dumb it's kind of stupid fun. However, it's probably the single worst thing to come out of the Silent Hill franchise, and a disappointment for me as while the first film wasn't perfect by a long shot, it had a few cool moments and at least seemed to have a bit of understanding on the material it was based on. The sequel got a new director, who seems to have no idea what he's directing and most of the scenes can be attributed because he thought 'it'd look cool.'
I loved the Silent Hill movie, it was the perfect video game adaptation in my eyes.

seems Naruto sold well on PC, enough to warrant another PC release (hopefully day and date with the console version)

Was Tekken 7 confirmed anyware besides those sites nobody ever heard about?
The new Naruto game coming to PC was confirmed a while ago, T7 was never confirmed if it was coming or not IIRC.

Point-and-click no jutsu!

Is...is that a thing? That's what they do, right?
No, it's Talk no Jutsu :p

Man that groupees bundle sure has been coming soon for awhile now.
It's like they took a page from Soony.

OT here but fuck this country where I have to wait until the 14th to watch Guardians of the Galaxy.
:(
Well, at least it's just 2 weeks, not that long of a wait.

I firmly believe the Master Chief Collection will be announced for the PC within a year of its X1 debut. I just hope they're separate apps on Steam rather than one "master app" with a handful of launch options.
I certainly hope so, they could bring all the other Halos if they want too :D

#dead

Ok, that's a pretty cool idea. Has anyone done it before or it's just speculation?

This should solve your problem, but no guarantees because I hate Windows 8 and it will probably defy me just to piss me off.
What has poor W8.1 done to you? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom